HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik to go under the knife?

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

vCash: 500
Gaborik to go under the knife?

Started my first day back at work yesterday for the year and myself and my co-workers are huge Rangers fans, my boss knows some islanders and rangers personally. He has company ssn tickets to both. I know that this is just speculation to some of you but he specifically told me that Marian Gaborik has been playing injured, and its not his typical injury. He said that he was told by players that Marian will fully undergo reconstructive knee surgery in the offseason and should be back by october 1st of next year. I dont know if anything has been reported about Marians knee but this could be why he hasnt been at 100% along with his other tweaks and pulls, along with the rumor Sather listening to offers at one point or another.

Old
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Fan View Post
Started my first day back at work yesterday for the year and myself and my co-workers are huge Rangers fans, my boss knows some islanders and rangers personally. He has company ssn tickets to both. I know that this is just speculation to some of you but he specifically told me that Marian Gaborik has been playing injured, and its not his typical injury. He said that he was told by players that Marian will fully undergo reconstructive knee surgery in the offseason and should be back by october 1st of next year. I dont know if anything has been reported about Marians knee but this could be why he hasnt been at 100% along with his other tweaks and pulls, along with the rumor Sather listening to offers at one point or another.
Such news wouldn't surprise me, as Gabby is clearly a step slower than last year. Let's just hope, if this is indeed true, that he can make a full recovery. The fact that he's still playing on it means that it can't be TOO serious of an injury, so I'm staying positive.

Old
04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
HockeyBurd*

Certainly wouldn't surprise me. But I'll believe it when it happens.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Really interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true either.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I think it's been fairly obvious that Marian has been playing injured throughout most of this year. I for one happened to believe it was the lingering shoulder injury as his shot seemed to be much weaker for the first 2/3rd of the season.

Hopefully all is ok and next year he is back to his old form.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Playing injured is one thing, but full reconstructive knee surgery WOULD surprise me.

If he's been playing with an injury so severe that it will require full reconstructive knee surgery, it would seem awfully short-sighted and unintelligent of both Gaborik and the Rangers organization to let him play 60+ games in that state (or, say he's only been hurting for half the season, 30+). He's under contract for 3 more years and $22.5M more; chancing him doing more/severe damage seems very unprofessional. I would be very surprised if the day the Rangers season came to an end we found that Gaborik was having full reconstructive knee surgery.

Maybe that's just me, but look at past players who have had that kind of surgery. It doesn't seem to me like they'd have been able/willing to play an entire season WITH the injury, and they're often not the same player afterward, even when they don't push it. It seems to me that by playing 30-40+ games on a knee so injured as to require drastic surgery, you're gambling with your career and (for the NYR) your investment. Especially when you're already having a sub-par season.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

that's what I been think this whole time. And I hate seeing them force themselves to play and getting 50% of their ability.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Hopefully the knee surgery fixes the stress headaches he gets because of the inability to live up to his contract.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:41 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

No way he is ready for the season if he undergoes full reconstructive surgery on the knee. That's at the minimum a 6 month recovery. If this speculation is at all true, it's likely something a bit more minor. Rangers brass would not let him play on anything severe, and Gaborik wouldn't play on it either if it was that bad, given his injury history.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
No way he is ready for the season if he undergoes full reconstructive surgery on the knee. That's at the minimum a 6 month recovery. If this speculation is at all true, it's likely something a bit more minor. Rangers brass would not let him play on anything severe, and Gaborik wouldn't play on it either if it was that bad, given his injury history.
Your right, June to October is only 4 months

Old
04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Your right, June to October is only 4 months
June 15 to October 15 is exactly 4 months.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

If he was injured, I would think it's his shoulder. He seems to be skating extremely well of late and has a ton of jump, it just seems like he doesn't have that zip in his shot like he did last year.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Anderson

Can they just give him the Wolverine treatment?

Old
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i think we all know he's playing hurt

Old
04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
If he was injured, I would think it's his shoulder. He seems to be skating extremely well of late and has a ton of jump, it just seems like he doesn't have that zip in his shot like he did last year.
He is skating better than he was, but doesn't have the same explosion he had last season or the start of this season...makes sense that maybe it's one of those cartilage injuries where he can't make it worse and the thinking was a 50% Gabby was better than a 0% Gabby...meh just my guess.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Hopefully the knee surgery fixes the stress headaches he gets because of the inability to live up to his contract.
One off year and you write him off. Last year, he certainly lived up to his contract and this year its been all but obvious he's injured. Give me a break

Old
04-04-2011, 03:53 PM
beastly115

It's pretty obvious hes been playing injured. Going to be interesting to see how he comes back assuming he really does need full knee reconstruction.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

If this is the case we can forget about doing anything in the playoffs....if we even make it. You cant be ****ing serious can you..

Old
04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Fan View Post
While he may have a knee issue, I doubt it's reconstructive.

That would keep him out longer than 10/01/11

Old
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Seriously, for the sake of all of us let's hope this isn't true. Gaborik Fan, how well do you know this guy? Not only is this going to minimize any chances we thought we might of had in the playoffs, but it's going to affect Gaborik afterwards as well. One of his strengths is his skating and this doesnt help at all.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
CM PUNK

if this is just true, which i highly doubt, he should be shutdown now and get the surgery asap. all we need is for the excuse next year to be that it took him till december to get up to speed.

but imo he's been a different player since he came back from the week off with a concussion...imo THAT was the problem and he's skated hard since then.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
He is skating better than he was, but doesn't have the same explosion he had last season or the start of this season...makes sense that maybe it's one of those cartilage injuries where he can't make it worse and the thinking was a 50% Gabby was better than a 0% Gabby...meh just my guess.
Earlier in the year I could see the knee or groin area possibly being a problem but not now. Seems like the guy was flying yesterday as well as the previous couple of games. He just doesn't seem to have the shot. There were a couple of times yesterday where I thought he could have sniped it and he just seemed to shoot an average wrister into the goalies chest.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Earlier in the year I could see the knee or groin area possibly being a problem but not now. Seems like the guy was flying yesterday as well as the previous couple of games. He just doesn't seem to have the shot. There were a couple of times yesterday where I thought he could have sniped it and he just seemed to shoot an average wrister into the goalies chest.
Exactly..by watching him play you'd point to a shoulder more than a knee issue.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Stepanformayor*

Gabby Kool-aid

Here we go drinking the Gabby kool-aid again. If this guy needed a full reconstructive knee surgery he would not be in the line-up tonight or any time soon. Why is it so hard for you all to accept that this guys career is over. He is slower because thats what happens to all players as they get older. Until there is a report from the Rangers that there is a injury this post should be gone!!!

Old
04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Here we go drinking the Gabby kool-aid again. If this guy needed a full reconstructive knee surgery he would not be in the line-up tonight or any time soon. Why is it so hard for you all to accept that this guys career is over. He is slower because thats what happens to all players as they get older. Until there is a report from the Rangers that there is a injury this post should be gone!!!
The guy's 29 years old. He's in the prime of his career, I don't understand how his "career is over." Is it that hard to reason that an injury prone player may not be producing as much as he usually does because he could be injured?

Closed Thread