HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Neal's shot

Old
04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
hctopcheds11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I don't think he ever said enough to earn anyone's ire, and he never saturated the media as the face of the NHL so people couldn't develop an irrational hate for him, haha.
He was a beauty thats for sure. Although signing that offer sheet at least makes him somewhat not as cool.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Wrist shot is cooler, but the snap shot seems more efficent.

0.02$

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:10 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against all odds View Post
Wrist shot is cooler, but the snap shot seems more efficent.

0.02$
You don't have time for wrist shots in the NHL, that's the biggest difference.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspeirs87 View Post
Neal is being counted on as a primary source for scoring and thats not his role. He's a secondary scorer and when crosby and malkin return he will fit in much better, less pressure and more space
He wasn't scoring in Dallas recently either.

Kennedy and Kunitz somehow score more often than once in nearly 20 games regardless of great centers being on their lines.

Iffyiffiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iffyiffiffer View Post
He wasn't scoring in Dallas recently either.

Kennedy and Kunitz somehow score more often than once in nearly 20 games regardless of great centers being on their lines.
The game has a lot to do with chemistry. Kunitz and Kennedy have had not just the best center in the lineup currently, but they also have chemistry with that center.

The Neal-Turnstile-Kovalev line have had anti-chemistry. It is bordering on painful to watch because you can tell it doesn't work, but there's no better option.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Not all wingers fit with the same type of centers either. Some wingers need that playmaking center that carries the puck most of the time and creates the majority of offense for the line. Other wingers do better with lesser centers since those centers can't create everything on their own. It allows that winger to have the puck a lot more and play a more creative role. I think that's why Kennedy does better with guys like Staal, Letestu etc. than he does when he's tried with Crosby or Malkin. Neal is the complete opposite. He plays best in a more limited role with highly skilled players like Richards on his line. Probably will be the same with Crosby or Malkin on his line down the road.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
The game has a lot to do with chemistry. Kunitz and Kennedy have had not just the best center in the lineup currently, but they also have chemistry with that center.

The Neal-Turnstile-Kovalev line have had anti-chemistry. It is bordering on painful to watch because you can tell it doesn't work, but there's no better option.
I agree. I can see what CW is getting at with the original point, but it can't really be understated that a lot of the time Neal is carrying the puck through traffic and trying to create his own scoring chance. It's a lot more difficult to unleash a heavy shot when you're carrying a defender and you're shooting through some traffic than it is when you're linemates set you up in scoring position after drawing some heat their way.

Obviously that's only some of it, and i'd expect a lot of it also has to do with the fact that he's barely scored in the second half of the season and he's gripping his stick a lot tighter than normal. But until he's playing with a genuine scoring line center and a winger whose shift-by-shift work ethic is at least in the same ballpark as his talent level, i'm not really expecting to see much more from him in terms of sniping ability.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
JTG

Neal is not in a comfortable position right now. Anyone who watched enough of him in Dallas can see that. He's being asked to do something right now that he has never had to do. Can he carry the puck? Absolutely. Will he get better at creating offense from carrying the puck if he does it long enough? Yes. Is that how you're going to get the most out of him? No.

He's like Stamkos - a Houdini type player. He pops in and out and takes his shots that way.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
vikingGoalie

I'm still in the "reserving final judgement" category.

However, if Neal is only able to score goals by getting to open ice and someone passing the puck to him.

I get he might be the most effective at that role, but he has had identical scoring situations as TK and Kunitz at times. The difference being Neal's shot seems to get tipped or he rifles it directly into the goalies chest much mo' often.

I attribute it to the fact that he is gripping the stick too tight and DB needs to tell him to just relax (same talk he had to TK). He can have a quick release, we have seen it in the shootouts. We are just not seeing the same sort of releases/shots from him during a game as we are in the shootout, as of yet.

vikingGoalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:57 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

The only thing I think Neal could do better is going to the net. It's the one thing I don't see him do that often. When I think of what Kennedy has done I think that's what Neal needs to do a little more. As far as his typical shots I think it's just being snake bit and not getting a ton of room out there.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
I'm still in the "reserving final judgement" category.

However, if Neal is only able to score goals by getting to open ice and someone passing the puck to him. I get he might be the most effective at that role, but he has had identical scoring situations as TK and Kunitz at times. The difference being Neal's shot seems to get tipped or he rifles it directly into the goalies chest much mo' often.

I attribute it to the fact that he is gripping the stick too tight and DB needs to tell him to just relax (same talk he had to TK). He can have a quick release, we have seen it in the shootouts. We are just not seeing the same sort of releases/shots from him during a game as we are in the shootout, as of yet.
I'm not worrying too much about it. His release hasn't had it's chance to shine yet, but it's circumstantial. But Neal isn't only able to score if he's being fed tap-ins, so there's no worry there ... even guys less talented than he would've normally had 5 or 6 goals by now with all the chances he's created and gotten. Every player goes through stretches like this, everything he's shooting right now is hitting a post, hitting a crossbar, getting deflected, goalie making a great save, flipping up on edge just as he shoots. It's just a bad streak ... he'll get his goals regardless.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

geez,
no wonder he's having trouble scoring

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

behindthenet.ca datamines the nhl.com site so the stats portion particularly the rate states should be accurate. How far you think hockey analytics has come will determine how much faith you have in the other metrics on there. As for the wrist and snap shots, I presume they are mined from the shot tracker they have during games. I haven't heard of a puck tracker akin to PitchFx in baseball (and they still have trouble classifying some pitches) so it is possible that the definitions are very loose or a person is just jotting on the fly what they think the shot is.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote