HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs to honour Sundin next season

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreaming View Post
I read on Berger's blog that Keon wants to his number to be retired but the Leafs don't want to do that and change up their system. If they're not willing to change their system for Keon, why would they for Sundin is what I'm thinking.
Although I follow the logic, you'll have to believe me when I say that Dave Keon was a special player, probably better than Sundin as an overall package. I know, I know, Sundin scored more points but Keon spent much of his NHL career as probably the best defensive center in the NHL.

Old
04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Inevitable.

Throw me in with the lot who feel his number should never be worn again.

Really wish the Leafs did away with that "honouring" business. Some numbers really should be retired.

#13 is one of them.
This nonsense of retiring numbers just increases the chances of players wearing crappy numbers. I mean what's the difference if someone else wears the number. Did Garnet Exelby wearing #7 suddenly cause you to forget the existence of Tim Horton or King Clancy or for that matter, Lanny McDonald (as an unhonoured number 7)?

It's the player that is important. The number is just a way to identify who's who.

Besides the Toronto Maple Leafs started the who business of teams retiring numbers with Ace Bailey, so if any team has the right to do it their own way, it's them.

Old
04-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
This nonsense of retiring numbers just increases the chances of players wearing crappy numbers. I mean what's the difference if someone else wears the number. Did Garnet Exelby wearing #7 suddenly cause you to forget the existence of Tim Horton or King Clancy or for that matter, Lanny McDonald (as an unhonoured number 7)?

It's the player that is important. The number is just a way to identify who's who.

Besides the Toronto Maple Leafs started the who business of teams retiring numbers with Ace Bailey, so if any team has the right to do it their own way, it's them.
Uh....

J/k, lol.

I know all about Toronto's stringent qualifications for getting one's number retired. Here's hoping they never have to retire another one under the same circumstances.

I give the Leafs' brass kudos for sticking to their guns and being different, choosing to go with the "honouring" route.

Just feel that Sundin left a mark on the Leafs, and on the city of Toronto. That, IMO, is worthy of a number being taken out of the rotation, never to be worn again.

It's the same reason why there will never be another #9 playing for the Wings or Habs (or Stars, hopefully ). A player's number is just that, a number. I don't think fans would have cared if, had the Leafs been retiring numbers this whole time, Mats played his Leafs years wearing #83. It just means #83 would be the next number to go. I think it adds a certain level of prestige, to have that many fine players wear your colours, and wear them so well that the number on the back is rafter-bound.

That being said, you would obviously need to raise the bar somewhat in terms of who gets raised and who doesn't. Sundin's the only Leaf in recent memory who's even close to achieving such status, IMO. So it's not like the Leafs would run out of numbers any time soon.

If an exception were to be made, if the Leafs were to bend the rule just this once and retire the number of one player who's still alive, Mats would be that player.

04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
(...) The time capsule theory wasn't a bad try. although i do think that the hollow deck would work much better. ( in the name of humanity Scotty.... Please beam young Jedi up. )
I know, I'm a geek, but it's actually the holodeck (from hologram) and it had nothing to do with the transporter room.

Old
04-05-2011, 04:17 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
I know, I'm a geek, but it's actually the holodeck (from hologram) and it had nothing to do with the transporter room.
If you say so, I was never a big fan of " Lost In Space "

Old
04-05-2011, 04:42 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Uh....

J/k, lol.

I know all about Toronto's stringent qualifications for getting one's number retired. Here's hoping they never have to retire another one under the same circumstances.

I give the Leafs' brass kudos for sticking to their guns and being different, choosing to go with the "honouring" route.

Just feel that Sundin left a mark on the Leafs, and on the city of Toronto. That, IMO, is worthy of a number being taken out of the rotation, never to be worn again.

It's the same reason why there will never be another #9 playing for the Wings or Habs (or Stars, hopefully ). A player's number is just that, a number. I don't think fans would have cared if, had the Leafs been retiring numbers this whole time, Mats played his Leafs years wearing #83. It just means #83 would be the next number to go. I think it adds a certain level of prestige, to have that many fine players wear your colours, and wear them so well that the number on the back is rafter-bound.

That being said, you would obviously need to raise the bar somewhat in terms of who gets raised and who doesn't. Sundin's the only Leaf in recent memory who's even close to achieving such status, IMO. So it's not like the Leafs would run out of numbers any time soon.

If an exception were to be made, if the Leafs were to bend the rule just this once and retire the number of one player who's still alive, Mats would be that player.
Sundin's the only Leaf in recent memory who's even CLOSE to achieving such status ? Are we taking about horseshoes and hand grenades here ? You don't honour a player simply because he's the best that we had at the time. Honestly, It's embarising to look up at the rafters of the Montreal Forum and see players such as Morenz, Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur hanging there, while the best we have to display is Sundin. Whats wrong with just waiting utill we finally have someone who is truely worthy ?

Old
04-05-2011, 05:57 AM
enixer

Quote:
Sundin's the only Leaf in recent memory who's even CLOSE to achieving such status ? Are we taking about horseshoes and hand grenades here ? You don't honour a player simply because he's the best that we had at the time. Honestly, It's embarising to look up at the rafters of the Montreal Forum and see players such as Morenz, Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur hanging there, while the best we have to display is Sundin. Whats wrong with just waiting utill we finally have someone who is truely worthy ?
I think you missed Modo's argument.
I believe his point was that we won't be running out of numbers by retiring #13, because no other player in recent memory is worthy of having their number retired, and therefore we wouldn't retire any other number.
His point was not that we would simply be choosing the best of what's been around lately.
Not sure what you have to be embarrassed about, although I do recognize the tendency to overvalue players from the past.
Sundin's #13 would certainly be my choice for the third number to be retired by the Leafs.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
If you have a hard-on for Montreal players than maybe you should head over to their forum.

Sundin deserves the nod and deserves to be spoken about on that level. Who gives a rats a$$ about the Habs

Old
04-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Honestly, It's embarising to look up at the rafters of the Montreal Forum and see players such as Morenz, Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur hanging there, while the best we have to display is Sundin. Whats wrong with just waiting utill we finally have someone who is truely worthy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
If you have a hard-on for Montreal players than maybe you should head over to their forum.

Sundin deserves the nod and deserves to be spoken about on that level. Who gives a rats a$$ about the Habs

Old
04-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Deuce Awesome

Anyways here is a list of "Honoured" numbers that the Leafs have done. Sundin deserves to be on it I will admit.

Syl Apps Toronto Maple Leafs 10 October 3, 1993[32]
George Armstrong Toronto Maple Leafs 10 February 28, 1998[32]
Johnny Bower Toronto Maple Leafs 1 March 11, 1995[32]
Turk Broda Toronto Maple Leafs 1 March 11, 1995[32]
King Clancy Toronto Maple Leafs 7 November 21, 1995[32]
Wendel Clark Toronto Maple Leafs 17 November 22, 2008[32]
Charlie Conacher Toronto Maple Leafs 9 February 28, 1998[32]
Hap Day Toronto Maple Leafs 4 October 4, 2006[32]
Doug Gilmour Toronto Maple Leafs 93 January 31, 2009[32]
Tim Horton Toronto Maple Leafs 7 November 21, 1995[32]
Red Kelly Toronto Maple Leafs 4 October 4, 2006[32]
Ted Kennedy Toronto Maple Leafs 9 October 3, 1993[32]
Frank Mahovlich Toronto Maple Leafs 27 October 3, 2001[32]
Börje Salming Toronto Maple Leafs 21 October 4, 2006[32]
Darryl Sittler Toronto Maple Leafs 27 February 8, 2003[32]

Old
04-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
What's that for? I said who cares about the habs, this is Toronto and he deserves to be spoken about at the same level as those hanging from the ACC raftors. No players from other franchises are relevant to that conversation.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Deuce Awesome

I like how we aren't retiring numbers currently. I think its something that became more of a marketing ploy or gimmick by small market teams (see Minesota Wild) than being used for what it was meant for.

I highly doubt that any Leafs player is going to wear #13 for quite some time if ever, and as mentioned with the Keon bit, I say honouring is good enough until we eventually get a franchise superstar that leads us to Lord Stanley and his 52 virgins.

Then we shall have this debate again. Until then, aces high King Mats of Sollentunna.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:55 AM
TheArchitect*

Looking at that list, Lanny MacDonald deserves to be up there IMO.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Okay folks... I think it's time to let this die. It literally hasn't gotten anywhere in 17 friggin pages...

Old
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
Okay folks... I think it's time to let this die. It literally hasn't gotten anywhere in 17 friggin pages...
Where was it expected to go?

Old
04-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

About time. All I can say.

Although, I'm glad that they don't actually retire numbers. When you've had such a good history and so many great players, if they actually retired them sooner or later they'd run out of numbers.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Hmmm. I guess I didn't really expect it to go anywhere anyway, really. I just didn't think there was this much Sundin excluding the Deadline fiasco. I was under the impression that was the day he started to suck. Apparently was never good.

Point taken, but still.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
shack23

[QUOTE=TheArchitect;32126259]Looking at that list, Lanny MacDonald deserves to be up there IMO.[/QUOTE 219 goals does it for ya ?

Old
04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
goals does it for ya ?
No.. he was a good player.

With your evaluation of talent though, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Where every Sundin thread ends up going.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Where every Sundin thread ends up going.
Then it has gone somewhere.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Shanty
Just chip and chase.

Quote:
Then it has gone somewhere.
In a circle, yes.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
If you say so, I was never a big fan of " Lost In Space "
And again, to repeat, I'm a geek.

The transporter is from Star Trek (original series), but the holodeck first appears in Star Trek: The next Generation.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:16 AM
shack23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
I like how we aren't retiring numbers currently. I think its something that became more of a marketing ploy or gimmick by small market teams (see Minesota Wild) than being used for what it was meant for.

I highly doubt that any Leafs player is going to wear #13 for quite some time if ever, and as mentioned with the Keon bit, I say honouring is good enough until we eventually get a franchise superstar that leads us to Lord Stanley and his 52 virgins.

Then we shall have this debate again. Until then, aces high King Mats of Sollentunna.
Lets just hope those 52 virgins are female .

Closed Thread