HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Im very intriigued with Nathan Beaulieau, if ever we make it in the last rounds, he might be avalaible when we pick..

Old
04-04-2011, 06:46 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
According to http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2011.htm, we have:

1st round pick (MTL)
3rd round pick (MTL)
4th round pick (either ANA or MTL, unconfirmed)
5th round pick (MTL)
6th round pick (MTL)
7th round pick (MTL)
According to NHL.com, we have the 7 picks

1st round pick
3rd round pick
4th round pick
4th round pick
5th round pick
6th round pick
7th round pick

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=558142

Toronto has 10 picks
Chicago 11 picks

EDIT: I don't think they have the right info since Boston doesn't have 2 1st rounders they traded one to Toronto....

Old
04-04-2011, 07:41 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Who is the player who could make the team next year (Jeff Skinner) type that we could be able to draft ?
Huberdeau? Not sure if he is physical ready by next year though. Maybe as a 19 year old. He has huge offensive upside and is slated to go around 6th overall

Last edited by FiveForDrawingBlood: 04-04-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old
04-04-2011, 01:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Who is the player who could make the team next year (Jeff Skinner) type that we could be able to draft ?
You'll have a hard time finding any of those types of players out of the top ten, let along in the 19-30 spot where we'd be drafting.

Old
04-04-2011, 04:43 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Why is no one talking about the possibility of Sven Bartschi? He will likely go around when the Habs pick, skilled LW, which the team lacks. I know he plays a gritty game and has a great shot, but is he quick?

Old
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Why is no one talking about the possibility of Sven Bartschi? He will likely go around when the Habs pick, skilled LW, which the team lacks. I know he plays a gritty game and has a great shot, but is he quick?
I'm always a bit wary of slightly undersized (by NHL "standards", of course) with big numbers playing on a team (actually, line and/or PP unit, I believe) with multiple top 5 picks from the previous year's NHL draft. Want an interesting (admittedly later round) "black horse" from that Portland team? How about Anze Kopitar's brother?

Old
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think he'll fall to us, most people have him just outside the top ten, around 14-15 at the latest.

Then again people keep talking about Zibanejad, who we also have no chance of picking, so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

about Bartschi its funny everyone is high on him and saying how gritty he his but ive never seen that in him. At the wjc he was soft and was not good at all during the tournament. I think he's overated, one of the oldest player in the draft ,undersized and playing on a sick team in Portland. im shock he's been talk about as a 10-15 range pick. I was WAY more impressed by his countryman Gregory Hoffman at the wjc. Possible steal in the draft and very underated.

Old
04-05-2011, 12:23 AM
eaglesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't think he'll fall to us, most people have him just outside the top ten, around 14-15 at the latest.

Then again people keep talking about Zibanejad, who we also have no chance of picking, so I guess it shouldn't matter.
Dylan Mccilrath(sp?) was taken ahead of both Brandon Gormley and Cam Fowler last year.

How the draft unfolds in real life is anybody's guess. But there will be surprises. All it takes is one team to reach for a player for the entire draft to be thrown out of whack.

As for Zibanejad not being there when we pick.......a boy can dream

Old
04-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmaster View Post
Dylan Mccilrath(sp?) was taken ahead of both Brandon Gormley and Cam Fowler last year.

How the draft unfolds in real life is anybody's guess. But there will be surprises. All it takes is one team to reach for a player for the entire draft to be thrown out of whack.

As for Zibanejad not being there when we pick.......a boy can dream
Cam Fowler plays as a 4th forward. Defensively weak and physically weak. McIlrath's upside is better than Fowler can dream. However, Fowler is more likely (actually, a lot more likely) to reach it than McIlrath.

McIlrath could be a guy with a big shot, a mean streak and be a great shutdown d.

Fowler is a points guy. Someone you don't want to put out against the other team's top players.

Pretty much McIlrath could be a lesser Chara.
Fowler can be a lesser Green.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
about Bartschi its funny everyone is high on him and saying how gritty he his but ive never seen that in him. At the wjc he was soft and was not good at all during the tournament. I think he's overated, one of the oldest player in the draft ,undersized and playing on a sick team in Portland.
Thank you! not a fan at all of Bartschi either. I'm surprised as well people talk of him as a possible top-10 pick.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
overlords
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Thank you! not a fan at all of Bartschi either. I'm surprised as well people talk of him as a possible top-10 pick.
agreed. He's one of my DND for the first round.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
According to NHL.com, we have the 7 picks

1st round pick
3rd round pick
4th round pick
4th round pick
5th round pick
6th round pick
7th round pick

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=558142

Toronto has 10 picks
Chicago 11 picks

EDIT: I don't think they have the right info since Boston doesn't have 2 1st rounders they traded one to Toronto....
1 of those 4th we traded to Atlanta for Sopel

we got 6 picks

1st
3rd
Anaheims4th or ours not sure yet
5th
6th
7th

Old
04-05-2011, 12:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Cam Fowler plays as a 4th forward. Defensively weak and physically weak. McIlrath's upside is better than Fowler can dream. However, Fowler is more likely (actually, a lot more likely) to reach it than McIlrath.

McIlrath could be a guy with a big shot, a mean streak and be a great shutdown d.

Fowler is a points guy. Someone you don't want to put out against the other team's top players.

Fowler has improved so much this season. Watch his defense since the All-Star. And he's gonna have better defense than Green very soon.

Old
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Fowler has improved so much this season. Watch his defense since the All-Star. And he's gonna have better defense than Green very soon.
I can't believe he dropped that much in the draft, rangers should have taken him instead of McIlrath

Old
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I can't believe he dropped that much in the draft, rangers should have taken him instead of McIlrath
I watched him with the Spitfire and everyone was gawking at Hall while I was singing Fowler praises. Throughout that last season with them, he improved his defensive positioning probably ten-fold. Reminds me of someone else's development (ahem P to the K to the Subby).

Old
04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think the thought process was they already had a Fowler in Del Zotto.

They needed toughness on the backend. They went with the need instead of BPA, we'll see if it kicks them in the ass. They have been pretty good at drafting recently.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
eaglesmaster

Quote:

The point of my post was to say that its impossible to predict where a player will go in the draft so making comments like player X will not be there at our pick, so we should not speak of him is a bit of a waste, unless its a for sure top 5 pick like RNH or Larsson.

If you want to argue about Mcilrath, fine.
Does he have a big shot? Yup
Does he hit hard? Yup
Does he have a good first pass? Nope
Can he handle the puck? Nope (I remember reading Mckeen's magazine who described his puckhandling as: "he handles the puck like its a live hand grenade")
How's his skating? Meh
Hockey sense? Sub-par
Could he become a lesser Chara? Anything is possible I suppose.

A player can add muscle. A player can learn defensive positioning(ask Pk). What a player can't learn is talent or poise. And when it comes down to it Fowler is miles ahead in both skill and poise with the puck then is Mcilrath.

Old
04-05-2011, 06:22 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:

If McIlrath is Chara, Avtsin is Kovalchuk.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
agreed. He's one of my DND for the first round.
Funnily enough, Craig Button, who is known for his uhhh "controversial" rankings, has Bartschi at #7. Who's #8? Sean Couturier.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Funnily enough, Craig Button, who is known for his uhhh "controversial" rankings, has Bartschi at #7. Who's #8? Sean Couturier.
and he had Rundblad 29th in his 09 re-draft, so, I guess that validates my point lol!

I just looked back on his time with Calgary at the draft, that was rather horrible. The best player he drafted for them was Stoll followed by, tight race, Kurtis Foster and Chuck Kobasew. Travis Moen comes in 4th place.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
and he had Rundblad 29th in his 09 re-draft, so, I guess that validates my point lol!

I just looked back on his time with Calgary at the draft, that was rather horrible. The best player he drafted for them was Stoll followed by, tight race, Kurtis Foster and Chuck Kobasew. Travis Moen comes in 4th place.
Yeah it's tough to put any stock into what Button says. I try not to dismiss rankings that aren't the norm, but it's not like Button can point at his draft record for any kind of credibility either.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

NJow that we know the lowest we draft is 15th, and most likely 17-19th or so, it will restrict our picks.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
le_sean

I am kind of interested in somehow getting our hands on Brandon Saad. A big American LW to carry this team in the future with Pacioretty.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
I am kind of interested in somehow getting our hands on Brandon Saad. A big American LW to carry this team in the future with Pacioretty.
That would be great. Definitely another powerforward like Patches would be awesome to really start adding to the young core of the team.

Closed Thread