HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn or Marc Staal

Old
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Staal, and while it's close, I had no trouble making the decision. Schenn is more physical, but he doesn't have the size, skating or smarts that Staal has (although he is quite impressive in all of these facets).

It's funny, because Leaf fans are in the same position we are, and have to constantly defend Schenn's offensive game because, like Staal, he has potential to put up solid totals, but it hasn't totally come around yet. Even though he will likely only score a few more points this season, Staal has shown he is very capable of being a 40 point defenseman, and I really like how his shot has developed. It's not a cannon yet, but it is hard and accurate.

They are very similar players, but the way Staal can dominate defensively during a game is something only Chara, Pronger, Lidstrom and maybe Weber are capable of doing. They will be comparable for the next 15 years however, Schenn is a stud.
Staal is 6'4" and weighs around 205 lbs, while Schenn is 6'2" and weighs 230 lbs. Size is a very minuscule issue. Also Schenn is a very smart defender, he hardly makes mistakes.

The rest of your post is pretty accurate though, Staal is the better d-man right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
You shouldnt be wasting time arguing with morons like that. Its not even a debate who is better. The good Schenn is playing for the Brandon Wheat Kings and is LA property. Luke is a scrub and a heck of a lot closer to Jeff Finger and Komisarek than Marc Staal.
Typical moronic Bruin fan You guys will discredit the Leafs any chance you get when you don't even know what our players are like.

I'm guessing you're still upset about this:

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Schenn is a great, young D-man, but it's Staal without thinking. Would never remotely think of Schenn over Staal.

Staal is better now and will always be better. Schenn is a nice substitute, though.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Fuss View Post
Staal is older and more developed. Schenn is 21 and already a defensive stud. Staal is more offensively gifted than Schenn but Schenn is getting better. They're both top pairing D-men, but if I had to choose one I'd take Staal for now. That doesn't mean I'll trade Schenn for Staal. Schenn is captain material.
Unless you are an absolute homer, you would make that deal if it was offered without thinking.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Unless you are an absolute homer, you would make that deal if it was offered without thinking.
Um, no? Staal is great but he's had 2 years more of development time, and Schenn is further along as a 21 year old than Staal was at the same age, and Schenn's been trending up very similarly to Staal. Staal is better right now but what if Schenn ends up being much better? Why take the risk of doing that? And at this point they both fill the same need for us so having Staal wouldn't make a huge difference, we require a PMD more than another shutdown guy, especially since we have Aulie as well.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
JeffMangum
#corgi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, seriously. Too bad Sather would put Burke on his blocked numbers list if he even hinted at that, though.

04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Um, no? Staal is great but he's had 2 years more of development time, and Schenn is further along as a 21 year old than Staal was at the same age, and Schenn's been trending up very similarly to Staal. Staal is better right now but what if Schenn ends up being much better? Why take the risk of doing that? And at this point they both fill the same need for us so having Staal wouldn't make a huge difference, we require a PMD more than another shutdown guy, especially since we have Aulie as well.
Not really a risk, since Schenn will never be on the level of Staal.

Leafs fans continue to live in this little bubble of happiness and fantasy where they think he will and continue to claim "in the future", blah blah blah. Just get over it. He's a very good young d-man but is not on Staal's level and never will be.

Bookmark this for later if you want, but I won't be eating crow for this at all.

Old
04-05-2011, 12:37 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Not really a risk, since Schenn will never be on the level of Staal.

Leafs fans continue to live in this little bubble of happiness and fantasy where they think he will and continue to claim "in the future", blah blah blah. Just get over it. He's a very good young d-man but is not on Staal's level and never will be.

Bookmark this for later if you want, but I won't be eating crow for this at all.
He was drafted 5th overall and improved leaps and bounds from last year and is only 21 years old. What kind of moronic thought process compels you to think that he's just going to stay the same forever? What the hell do you even mean by "little bubble of happiness"? Leaf fans are excited about Schenn's development just like Rags fans are excited about Stepan, for example, nothing wrong with being happy about a highly touted young player showing his abilities.

Last year so many HF members wrote off Schenn because of a half-season sophomore slump, saying he was garbage etc etc won't be that great, and he proved them all wrong this year. Staal is a great d-man and is definitely better right now, but to say that Schenn will never be as good as him is just ill-advised.

But hey what do I know, you're the fortune teller

Anyway I'm done, I feel like at the rate this conversation is going I'm probably going to piss off a mod and get an infraction since I'm technically "invading" your board, so I'll run along now.

Old
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Staal is 6'4" and weighs around 205 lbs, while Schenn is 6'2" and weighs 230 lbs. Size is a very minuscule issue. Also Schenn is a very smart defender, he hardly makes mistakes.

The rest of your post is pretty accurate though, Staal is the better d-man right now.

Staal is much lankier, and utilizes his poke check better. I meant more in terms of height, which Staal has quite an advantage in, especially for a defensive defenseman. Extra weight would only slow him down, and his hits are far and few between.

They are similar though, Schenn is a mini Staal.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:28 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

There is not a single thing that Schenn does better other than maybe hit a bit harder. That's about it. Staal is better in pretty much every single aspect of the game.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:32 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
He was drafted 5th overall and improved leaps and bounds from last year and is only 21 years old. What kind of moronic thought process compels you to think that he's just going to stay the same forever? What the hell do you even mean by "little bubble of happiness"? Leaf fans are excited about Schenn's development just like Rags fans are excited about Stepan, for example, nothing wrong with being happy about a highly touted young player showing his abilities.

Last year so many HF members wrote off Schenn because of a half-season sophomore slump, saying he was garbage etc etc won't be that great, and he proved them all wrong this year. Staal is a great d-man and is definitely better right now, but to say that Schenn will never be as good as him is just ill-advised.

But hey what do I know, you're the fortune teller

Anyway I'm done, I feel like at the rate this conversation is going I'm probably going to piss off a mod and get an infraction since I'm technically "invading" your board, so I'll run along now.
Haha, ill advised? As I said, Staal is better than him in just about every aspect of the game. I stand by my statement. Schenn will never be as good as Staal.

You can continue to dream all you want. It's nice to be positive. But reality will set in one day in the future. Trust me, I will not be eating crow on this. Very rarely do I make such matter of fact statements.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:52 AM
rangersfan111

Luke Schenn is a gem, no questions asked. If he were on the Rangers he would be their #2 d-man. He is solid defensively and a couple weeks ago he was the only player in the entire nhl to have 150+ hits and 150+ blocked shots. His offense is very similar to Marc Staal's in the sense that it is underrated.

What people don't understand is that Marc Staal is an All-Star. He is a #1 defencemen on 90% of teams in the NHL. He can hit, block, play solid defense, uses his stick better than anyone other than Lidstrom, clears the crease, extremely fast, hard worker, strong and very smart. He has a decent shot and a solid passer. Does not get powerplay time and still pots 30 points.

Luke Schenn is great and will be the leafs #1 dman in the not to distant future. But he is not Marc Staal and most likely never will be.

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
What people don't understand is that Marc Staal is an All-Star. He is a #1 defencemen on 90% of teams in the NHL. He can hit, block, play solid defense, uses his stick better than anyone other than Lidstrom, clears the crease, extremely fast, hard worker, strong and very smart. He has a decent shot and a solid passer. Does not get powerplay time and still pots 30 points. .
I don't disagree with you, but Staal actually averages about 2:40 per game on the powerplay. Schenn averages about 0:58.

Radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:16 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
There is not a single thing that Schenn does better other than maybe hit a bit harder. That's about it. Staal is better in pretty much every single aspect of the game.
And when Staal decides to hit he hits harder then Schenn. The way he explodes into open ice checks is a thing of beauty.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the real question is, Girardi or Schenn...because imho Staal blows Schenn away. Staal is better in every aspect of the game, even physicality id call a push, or maaaaaybe a slight edge to Schenn. Other than that, its all Staal.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
And when Staal decides to hit he hits harder then Schenn. The way he explodes into open ice checks is a thing of beauty.

If Staal ever brings this with consistency he'd jump from just being an all-star to a legitimate Norris Trophy candidate. Staal has the ability to just lay people out, instead he often goes for the poke check, which he's got down to an absolute science.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Tumsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
Luke Schenn is a gem, no questions asked. If he were on the Rangers he would be their #2 d-man. He is solid defensively and a couple weeks ago he was the only player in the entire nhl to have 150+ hits and 150+ blocked shots. His offense is very similar to Marc Staal's in the sense that it is underrated.

What people don't understand is that Marc Staal is an All-Star. He is a #1 defencemen on 90% of teams in the NHL. He can hit, block, play solid defense, uses his stick better than anyone other than Lidstrom, clears the crease, extremely fast, hard worker, strong and very smart. He has a decent shot and a solid passer. Does not get powerplay time and still pots 30 points.

Luke Schenn is great and will be the leafs #1 dman in the not to distant future. But he is not Marc Staal and most likely never will be.
You do realize that this means that he would be a number 1 defense-man on all but 3 teams, right? And, well, that's just not the Case.

I think a statement like playing on the first pairing on 90% of the teams might be accurate, unless said team doesn't want to break up a current pairing or so.

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the real question is, Girardi or Schenn...because imho Staal blows Schenn away. Staal is better in every aspect of the game, even physicality id call a push, or maaaaaybe a slight edge to Schenn. Other than that, its all Staal.
Good point. I was trying really, really hard to be nice.

I am so sick of these Leafs fans who think Schenn is close to Staal. He is not close at all. He is in a different zip code in terms of talent. Schenn is a very nice young d-man, but he's much closer to Girardi than Staal.

It's laughable that they continue to think the two are comparable.