HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #80 vs. Boston Bruins

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #80 vs. Boston Bruins
Ryan Callahan 6 2.96%
Brandon Dubinsky 12 5.91%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Steve Eminger 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 4 1.97%
Vaclav Prospal 159 78.33%
Michael Sauer 5 2.46%
Marc Staal 1 0.49%
Derek Stepan 7 3.45%
Wojtek Wolski 8 3.94%
Other 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

vCash: 500
and now i am a nervous wreck with this callahan thing

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Prospal takes a shot at the fans LOL
He's not the first one to make veiled references to how the Garden faithful treat them when they play poorly.

But honestly, they should know better playing in New York. Think about how the Yankees must feel.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
This is what I don't get. The team has played great in their own zone for the vast majority of the season, and when the players commit a lazy or stupid play it's the coach's fault? If you're not going to pin blame on a player when he makes a lazy play, then when is he at fault?
I think that coaching has not stressed this enough. Players can learn, bag skate them if they don't listen. Good teams do that stuff, inconsistent teams like the Rangers show not enough discipline.

The coaches have a responsibility to instill that. Otherwise, they just handle line changes and refuse to comment to the press.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Validates what I've been trying to get across to all the fair-weather fans we've got here. The crowd can be a an extra-guy for the team. When you look at how out home-town crowd treats our team and then you look at our home record compared to our road record it definitely makes you think something might be up. I bet the players would get "chills" as the reporter asked if the fans started chanting "Lets Go Rangers" instead of booing when they have a rough period.

Booing your hometown team that early is just being a bad fan.
Im with you. In MTL for example the crowd is like an extra defender.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Validates what I've been trying to get across to all the fair-weather fans we've got here. The crowd can be a an extra-guy for the team. When you look at how out home-town crowd treats our team and then you look at our home record compared to our road record it definitely makes you think something might be up. I bet the players would get "chills" as the reporter asked if the fans started chanting "Lets Go Rangers" instead of booing when they have a rough period.
He'd be living out of a box if not for the fans who pay good money to see him. Then he'd really have the chills when it got cold out.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Balej20*

Prospal better watch himself. He's generally a fan favorite, but you do not want to say things like he said tonight in the post game interview. Put it in perspective buddy, come on. You're smarter than that.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Maybe if they played hockey in the first period they wouldn't have to deal with the boo-birds.

I didn't boo but if they played that 1st period for all three periods I WOULD'VE been booing, because that's what that effort deserved. No "oh man! better luck next time!"

There is no next time anymore.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yep, Lof is the man. We need him back ASAP.

If we make the playoffs and he is not back, we can start a "Help Restore Loffen's Internet" fund and we can all pitch in.
he cant come back until we lose a game. gotta ride this win streak without him making the gdt's

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He'd be living out of a box if not for the fans who pay good money to see him. Then he'd really have the chills when it got cold out.
Torts also said almost the same thing. He said the garden was "getting pretty ugly early".

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I don't buy that. The team had an abysmal February that put US ALL, fans and team, in the position we're in. When one of the biggest games of the season starts like that you better be ready to take the heat.

Glad he didn't appreciate us cheering though when they showed up, nice to know the players think they're invincible to criticism when they play like trash. .

Quote:
Torts also said almost the same thing. He said the garden was "getting pretty ugly early".
And their play in the first period was even uglier. Simple as that. There was no booing when they started playing real hockey- in fact I lost my voice cheering on a 3-1 game that very well could've still ended in a humiliating loss.

Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Well, if we want to make an enemy out of our own hockey team by all means, continue to boo egregiously.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
What that makes it right? He can have a box too.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:43 PM
vladmyir111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Maybe if they played hockey in the first period they wouldn't have to deal with the boo-birds.

I didn't boo but if they played that 1st period for all three periods I WOULD'VE been booing, because that's what that effort deserved. No "oh man! better luck next time!"

To be fair he did say they deserve it sometimes, I think he's right though in game 80 when a point can mean the playoffs you gotta suck it up and cheer on the team for a period or so even if they are down. Save the boos for the buzzer.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:

What, you think they didn't realize they were playing poorly? Booing your own guys like that is purely detrimental to the team. Many of the guys would respond much better if the fans really made it known they were supporting them. People forget these guys are still human beings.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

And another thing, if you don't like it, then shut us up.

Well played Vaclav

Old
04-04-2011, 10:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Listen, i'm not saying it's good to boo- I dislike it and don't do it (unless it's EC ruining a PP ). But when they play that horrendous first period and say "well they didn't cheer us on!" i'm sorry, I can't feel sorry. and I love Vinny.

Seems like a cold thing to say when I spent 200 bucks on that game and frankly I don't like that. I can easily watch the game at home if you want to play bad hockey.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:46 PM
vladmyir111

We show up and pay money to see a game and support our favorite team. We're not some royalty that gets to throw cabbage at the jester when he bobbles his juggling.

Sure there are times to boo and sometimes reasons to boo certain players, but honestly night in and night out MSG is not a place for home ice advantage unless you're up by a goal or two which is kind of sad and defeats the purpose of those 41 games.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I think that coaching has not stressed this enough. Players can learn, bag skate them if they don't listen. Good teams do that stuff, inconsistent teams like the Rangers show not enough discipline.

The coaches have a responsibility to instill that. Otherwise, they just handle line changes and refuse to comment to the press.
It also shows a team that's chock full of players who are still giddy about being able to legally drink alcohol. Inconsistency is something you have to deal with when you have the youngest and least experienced team in the league. If you bench the youngsters on this team for making mistakes you won't be able to use a full roster.

You think their inconsistency shows bad coaching, I say the fact that this team has the rest of the Eastern Conference hoping they play someone else in the playoffs shows just how good a job Torts has done this year.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
I don't buy that. The team had an abysmal February that put US ALL, fans and team, in the position we're in. When one of the biggest games of the season starts like that you better be ready to take the heat.

Glad he didn't appreciate us cheering though when they showed up, nice to know the players think they're invincible to criticism when they play like trash. .

And their play in the first period was even uglier. Simple as that. There was no booing when they started playing real hockey- in fact I lost my voice cheering on a 3-1 game that very well could've still ended in a humiliating loss.
Look at our home/away record compared to some of these other teams and then explain it without considering how our fans are terrible to our own guys.

Old
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
To be fair he did say they deserve it sometimes, I think he's right though in game 80 when a point can mean the playoffs you gotta suck it up and cheer on the team for a period or so even if they are down. Save the boos for the buzzer.
Agreed. You have some fans who boo cluelessly. Theres a certain line when you're a fan and you need to stay within the line. Need to realize the situation at hand. Make no mistake that fans can give an extra jump or even deflate a team. Nobody is saying don't boo them, but theres a time and place for it and it's not right to do it for every damn play. You've all been to the garden. You've seen those fans who don't shut their yap and complain about every play just to complain. It gets ridiculous sometimes.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

After listening to it again, honestly I'll give Prospal some slack. He does have a point -- in game 80 we should show a little more faith in them.

But it wasn't like we were booing them losing, we were booing them playing abysmally with 8 shots on goal through nearly 30 minutes of play and numerous powerplays that had Boston getting more chances/shots than us. They deserved to be booed on that one Powerplay where they basically let Boston control the play.

I don't endorse it for a missed chance or a botched rush or something -- but come on. And we are probably amongst the loudest fans when they are deserving.

I would like to see us be a little more encouraging in general, but he's gotta understand the tension of the fans after seeing us fall from a "comfortable" position in the 1st half of the season to fighting for our playoff lives with 3 (2) games to go.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Janerixon

Cally was not seen in the locker room according to Zipay... this is now scaring me

http://twitter.com/stevezipay

"Did not see him in locker room RT @SBGootzman: @stevezipay anything on Callahan after blocking Chara shot????"

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Look at our home/away record compared to some of these other teams and then explain it without considering how our fans are terrible to our own guys.
That completely ignores the ice at the Garden. And if they were so deterred by fans booing them they wouldn't do any better on the road either.

Listen, i'm agreeing with you guys. I just think Vinny needs to put himself in the perspective of the fan and realize if that game went on we were watching the teams playoff hopes slip away.

Old
clmetsfan

Quote:
What, you think they didn't realize they were playing poorly? Booing your own guys like that is purely detrimental to the team. Many of the guys would respond much better if the fans really made it known they were supporting them. People forget these guys are still human beings.
I agree to a point, but not tonight. I've always hated the booing and identification of the crowd's whipping boys (Poti, Malik, Rosy) who got booed regardless of whether they're playing well or not. Those guys would get booed even when their names were announced for scoring a goal or getting an assist. THAT is detrimental, because all it's saying is "We don't like you and we don't want you here."

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with booing the team as a whole when they put forth a lackluster effort like they did in the first 30 minutes tonight.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
It goes both ways in MTL. They can be an extra defender or they can be absolutely brutal on their own team. They were booing Carey Price earlier in the season, and the fans throw crap on the ice all the time. In fact, I'm pretty sure Canadiens fans were throwing garbage on the ice before their comeback against us a few seasons ago. Canadiens fans are probably a more bipolar fanbase than Rangers fans.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote