HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you fix the PP?

Old
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Conner as a net front presence because of his size. Adams on the half boards as the QB because of his playmaking ability. Rupp and Comrie on the points because of their bombs and they're also fast to prevent breakaways. Engelland in the box to get his quick shot of. Seriously, could they produce any less than what we have out there now.

I'm all for measuring an opponents stick every time we get a pp. If it's acutally an illegal curve, we have 2 minutes of 5 on 3. If it's a legal curve, it's 2 minutes of 4 on 4. Win win all the way.
I think Errey wants to measure Staal's stick

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinarm View Post
^ this. Completely correct. We're not writing the Magna Carta here people. Put people where they can one time the puck and create traffic in front. Dear god, our PP is so awful because the Pens insist on using people where they clearly don't belong. (Martin?)
Couldn't disagree more. The best thing our current PP could do is get traffic in front and have Letang fire away with his shot at the point and have it be relatively accurate ... the fact that that hasn't been working is because Tang has been back to his missing the net with 2 out of 3 shots phase, in addition to waiting way too long to get it off and trying to hard to shoot to score instead of keeping it low and looking for deflections and rebounds.

Martin doesn't have a good shot from the point, but he's better skilled from the point position than almost anyone except for Kovy and Tanger ... one of whom never shoots, and the other who is just going through a terrible stretch with his accuracy. It sucks having him there, but it's not like the coaching staff has a ton of options given what the players are doing for them ... they have to have someone out there that can get the puck near the net with a point shot. Even a dreadfully weak but accurate shot does more than a heavy shot that either never comes or never comes close.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I think Errey wants to measure Staal's stick
He does get a little too excited about that pickle-stabber

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle View Post
Just take a penalty right off the faceoff and play 4 on 4.
Yup, run right into the goaltender.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Conner as a net front presence because of his size. Adams on the half boards as the QB because of his playmaking ability. Rupp and Comrie on the points because of their bombs and they're also fast to prevent breakaways. Engelland in the box to get his quick shot of. Seriously, could they produce any less than what we have out there now.

I'm all for measuring an opponents stick every time we get a pp. If it's acutally an illegal curve, we have 2 minutes of 5 on 3. If it's a legal curve, it's 2 minutes of 4 on 4. Win win all the way.
Conner's 5'8" and that's on a good day.

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
mpp9

I think Michalek at the left point has proven to be a decent solution. Currently the only top 4 D-man with velocity and accuracy to his shot. More importantly, he seems to be showing no hesitation. That can be a major boost come playoffs. Even a couple PP goals in a series will give this team a major advantage due to their PK and usual dominant ES play.

The PP attempt in the florida game was the first time it looked like a legit attempt. Letang gains the zone, TK maintains possession, back to the point, one-timer for michalek, traffic.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I think Michalek at the left point has proven to be a decent solution. Currently the only top 4 D-man with velocity and accuracy to his shot. More importantly, he seems to be showing no hesitation. That can be a major boost come playoffs. Even a couple PP goals in a series will give this team a major advantage due to their PK and usual dominant ES play.

The PP attempt in the florida game was the first time it looked like a legit attempt. Letang gains the zone, TK maintains possession, back to the point, one-timer for michalek, traffic.
Yeah I thought it looked pretty good too. They didn't score of course, but after it was over I didn't have that same feeling of wanting to adopt a puppy just to kick it.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Yeah I thought it looked pretty good too. They didn't score of course, but after it was over I didn't have that same feeling of wanting to adopt a puppy just to kick it.
even a low shot with decent velocity is going to cause problems on the PP if it gets to the net which is basically what Michalek was doing.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I'd get Jesus to heal Crosby and Malkin so they can play again, and then I'd hire an assistant coach who's sole responsibility was to run the powerplay and he is super-de-duper good at doing so.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:

Agreed on what Michalek could possibly bring to the table on the PP. We'll take any option we can get right now... I mean, could it get ANY worse?

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmcd24 View Post
Conner's 5'8" and that's on a good day.
You missed what I was implying, but that's ok :-) It really couldn't get any worse...that pp that is.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Milliardo

Quote:

Definitely. Michalek's shot is very underrated I think. I can't believe it took so long to try him there when everything else failed pathetically. In Phoenix, he played regularly on the pp and even with some success. That said, one of the biggest problems our pp has is gaining the zone and keeping puck possession once the puck is inside.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote