HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Playoff Run

View Poll Results: How far do the Flyers go?
1st round 27 23.48%
2nd round 26 22.61%
Conference Finals 15 13.04%
Stanley Cup Finals 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Hmm, I dont like their swoon since Jan 1st. I am not optimistic, they played very well in first half of season and have coasted since then.

Better if they cr)pped the bed in first half then caught fire later. Momentum and all. Which team will show up in POs, first half team or second half? They are diametrically opposite.
Last year we made fun of Washington for coming out so strong out of the gate them bombing when it counted. We're on the same path right now.

I was hoping for a sign they could play as a team again - they aren't.

Pronger is out, and won't be 100% when he returns. Timonen is playing like a hurt shell of his former self. Ditto for Richards, who looks hurt too. Briere has always played lousy when his groins were hurt - they are. Our best PKer, Betts, has reinjured the sore knee he's been nursing all year.

I'm not sure a team with a lot of its top forwards and D hurt going into the playoffs playing an uninspired, disjointed brand of hockey is the best bet for a long run.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can barely stomach watching the games lately - I think the team we end up facing is going to be happy to get a disorganized, hurt opponent.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Let's say the Flyers lose in the first or second round, do you think that Holmgren will try to do some drastic moves? I think the team ought to stay together and learn from it, but in the past, Flyer GMs seem to overreact and make drastic changes after failures. I hope Holmgren leaves the team alone.
In case of a first round exit some major roster moves are inevitable imho.
How can anybody possibly think that the same team who failed where it counted most twice in a row will tear it up the next season?! Not even the players themselves would believe in such magical learning effect...they would just feel empty, embarrassed and self-conscious. That feeling would haunt them.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bobrovsky is going to be your #1 for playoffs correct?

With Boucher putting up similiar stats and having playoff experience is it likely that your coach will not be hesitant to put in Boucher if Bobrovsky starts playoffs off poorly

Who do you want as your #1 for playoffs?

Bobrovsky is better goalie with higher upside but Boucher might be safer option for Flyers
Boucher hasn't looked very good in his recent starts while Bobrovsky's looked great in 6 of his last 7. He is the #1 as of now and he should be the #1.
Right now, Boucher isn't a safe option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Last year we made fun of Washington for coming out so strong out of the gate them bombing when it counted. We're on the same path right now.
Last year Washington ended the season by going 13-3-4 in their last 20, 5-0-1 in their last 6. They bombed because their style didn't translate to the playoffs (and because Halak stood on his head).
Totally different situations.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
tuckrr

1 blocked shot can change the playoffs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAM_o0U9zO0

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:

With Boucher putting up similiar stats and having playoff experience is it likely that your coach will not be hesitant to put in Boucher if Bobrovsky starts playoffs off poorly

Bobrovsky is better goalie with higher upside but Boucher might be safer option for Flyers
i say put boosh in honestly. let bobs see the pace of the playoffs.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bob has looked good recently. Let him play the next two games or so and if he keeps it up ride him until he slows down. If he bungs things up in the next two games, throw Boosh in there for the last game and ride him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
duffy9748

Quote:

Bob's gotten the majority of the starts recently. Laviolette has wanted him to be the guy all year. He surprised everyone on opening night by starting Bob. He had his worst game of the season vs. Washington 2 weeks ago and he went right back with Bob vs the Penguins. He's been very solid in every start since the Caps game as well.

Bob is the more talented goalie and he doesn't seem like the type of goalie/person who will fold under pressure. If he falters in games 1 and 2, you go with Boucher. Everyone knows what you will get from Boucher.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
lancer247

if the flyers can get their PP to play just good, not great, just good, it will nake a huge difference in their run.

like last year their run could be made easier by match ups. i am hoping the rags pass the habs. i would love to see the bruins and rags pound on each other for a long series, same with the pens on the bolts, maybe the habs get in the caps heads and upset them again.

flyers match up against a beat up bolts while the caps and bruins/rags play another long physical series.

flyers in the ECF against a worn down rags/bruins/caps squad.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Cartsiephan*

This team has letdown written all over them. Hate to say it because this is also a much more talented team than last season but the inconsistent effort from this group is rearing its ugly head, in series where one or two goals is the difference between moving on or staying home I think a 2nd round exit is most likely.

And for anyone who is going to suggest that they can flipi a switch.....this has been going on since Dec/Jan, let's not pretend these guys have just been unlucky.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
This team has letdown written all over them. Hate to say it because this is also a much more talented team than last season but the inconsistent effort from this group is rearing its ugly head, in series where one or two goals is the difference between moving on or staying home I think a 2nd round exit is most likely.

And for anyone who is going to suggest that they can flipi a switch.....this has been going on since Dec/Jan, let's not pretend these guys have just been unlucky.
Whether you agree with it or not, the argument would be that they're struggling to flip the switch until the playoffs... last I checked, we aren't there yet.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Whether you agree with it or not, the argument would be that they're struggling to flip the switch until the playoffs... last I checked, we aren't there yet.
Relying on flipping a switch to improve the effort and results is a joke. Just play up to your capacity. Making dumb passes and being able to keep it simple has nothing to do with flipping a switch, it is about playing each shift and every game as a unit and just winning one on one battles.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Relying on flipping a switch to improve the effort and results is a joke. Just play up to your capacity. Making dumb passes and being able to keep it simple has nothing to do with flipping a switch, it is about playing each shift and every game as a unit and just winning one on one battles.
If you've paid any attention to me, you'll note I don't believe there's much of anything differentiating regular season and playoff (just an upped quality of competition). That being said, however, the switch argument concerns the playoffs and we aren't there yet... so to use their play over the last few months as some argument against what those folks are saying isn't really a valid line of attack.

I do think the focus level will go up a bit with the playoffs, and we do see that with some regularity. Whether that will solve all the teams problems is another matter. The playoffs are far more about momentum, matchups, and luck than anything else.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
If you've paid any attention to me, you'll note I don't believe there's much of anything differentiating regular season and playoff (just an upped quality of competition). That being said, however, the switch argument concerns the playoffs and we aren't there yet... so to use their play over the last few months as some argument against what those folks are saying isn't really a valid line of attack.

I do think the focus level will go up a bit with the playoffs, and we do see that with some regularity. Whether that will solve all the teams problems is another matter. The playoffs are far more about momentum, matchups, and luck than anything else.
Wher do you fall on this team in the playoffs? I am just really surprised that @43% think this team is going to the SCF's after what they have recently witnessed. Two quality wins over the last month and a half in regulation or OT.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Wher do you fall on this team in the playoffs? I am just really surprised that @43% think this team is going to the SCF's after what they have recently witnessed. Two quality wins over the last month and a half in regulation or OT.
Well, you can click and see the results above.

But I picked 2nd round. I've been saying for months we aren't winning the cup this year... and I have little faith in the Bob/Boucher tandem this year.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Well, you can click and see the results above.

But I picked 2nd round. I've been saying for months we aren't winning the cup this year... and I have little faith in the Bob/Boucher tandem this year.
So we are thinking along the same lines, my problem is they have the talent to win now even with Bobrovsky or even Boucher to a certain extent, but it is the team effort that is lacking.

Whether it is too many guys who want to show up on the stat sheet each night or guys who just are not out there to fill the necessary roles to do the little things?

On a sidenote I really think this team misses the likes of Asham and Laperriere.

Old
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
duffy9748

A lot of people still believe they'll make the SCF's because of what they did last year. It's hard not to believe in this team after what they accomplished last year and now that they are an even better team this year. This team has been missing their best player for the last few weeks. I don't see a team led by Laviolette, Richards, Pronger, Briere, and Timonen choking in the playoffs. They know what it takes to get there and I'll believe in them til they are knocked out. Their built for the playoffs.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I will repeat...a rookie goalie and perennial backup who can't sustain his play for more than a dozen games at best does not bode well for a finals appearance notwithstanding the success of last year which was aided by luck of the draw with matchups. I don't expect that this year. Moreover, the PP sucks something bad although intensity and being hard on the puck with minimal Giroux and Leino-like turnovers might rectify it a bit. A semi-healthy Pronger will as well but overall I still think the PP will be a key factor in them being ousted at least by the second round but a first round upset is not out of the question given the rather mediocre play since the all star game. I just think that there is a lack of total buy in by the players with the system for whatever reason. They haven't forgotten ..just that the commitment hasn't been there b/c it's an intense skating system and we have some key players playing with injuries (Timonen (hip), Leino (hip), Richards (shoulders..etc), Briere (groin), Pronger (wrist/hand) etc.

Having said this, I'm going to just approach the post season in a measured way and enjoy the ride. Every extra game of playoff hockey is what I will enjoy despite the outcome. Sure I will be upset after losses or if we're ousted but in the last 25 years I've learned to take it in stride.

I don't think this is "their year"...I think next year will be better..not so much as far as their record but just more consistent play..provided of course that the core doesn't do in Lavy which I fear may happen considering his shelf life.

EDIT: If Leighton clears waivers and plays then I believe 100% we will win this elusive cup.......

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Um yeah..after the unacceptable loss to Ottawa as OD characterized it...this "team" is def not instilling any confidence or causing me to regret my prognostication especially if they face Tampa and Gagne gets revenge for treating him like a red headed step child....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
The last few games sealed it. First round unless they get a very favorable matchup.

Pronger won't be fresh, and possibly won't even be back. Timonen is gimpy. Richards looks like he isn't himself, and some here postulate injury. Briere is gimpy. The offense has turned anemic.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
BealeStreetTyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The last few games sealed it. First round unless they get a very favorable matchup.

Pronger won't be fresh, and possibly won't even be back. Timonen is gimpy. Richards looks like he isn't himself, and some here postulate injury. Briere is gimpy. The offense has turned anemic.

First Round = Good night Irene

Last edited by BealeStreetTyrant: 04-05-2011 at 09:56 PM.
BealeStreetTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
A lot of people still believe they'll make the SCF's because of what they did last year. It's hard not to believe in this team after what they accomplished last year and now that they are an even better team this year. This team has been missing their best player for the last few weeks. I don't see a team led by Laviolette, Richards, Pronger, Briere, and Timonen choking in the playoffs. They know what it takes to get there and I'll believe in them til they are knocked out. Their built for the playoffs.
What good does it do to be 'built for the playoffs' when you aren't even competitive with lousy teams the week before?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Last year's team faced the 6th seed in the second round and the 8th seed in the ECF. It's not going to be as easy this year. This team is fooling themselves if they believe they can just turn it on when they feel like it and make it to the Finals like they did last year.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Last year's team faced the 6th seed in the second round and the 8th seed in the ECF. It's not going to be as easy this year. This team is fooling themselves if they believe they can just turn it on when they feel like it and make it to the Finals like they did last year.

That's such a ******** ass reason. I get so tired of that explanation. Those teams beat the teams they faced. Done deal. They were the better team.

But other than that yes I agree with your statement.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
That's such a ******** ass reason. I get so tired of that explanation. Those teams beat the teams they faced. Done deal. They were the better team.

But other than that yes I agree with your statement.
Sure, but you can't say the Flyers didn't have ideal match ups. Would Leighton or Boosh fared as well against Washington or Pittsburgh?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:23 PM
TheLegendkiller

Fleury was worse then Leighton against the Habs. Like omg I was laughing at them it was so bad. And Jose Theodore gave up bad goals to the Habs at very inopportune times. So I think if the Flyers faced either of those teams than it would basically be a match up of whose goalie plays worse.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote