HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #80 vs. Boston Bruins

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #80 vs. Boston Bruins
Ryan Callahan 6 2.96%
Brandon Dubinsky 12 5.91%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Steve Eminger 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 4 1.97%
Vaclav Prospal 159 78.33%
Michael Sauer 5 2.46%
Marc Staal 1 0.49%
Derek Stepan 7 3.45%
Wojtek Wolski 8 3.94%
Other 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
MorrisWanchuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Agreed. Although I think it's highly suspect of Vs. to put home team announcers in the booth for national games, like last night with Brickley calling Boston's game or when Benenati calls Capitals games, they didn't seem overly biased in any direction. I actually give Brickley a lot of credit for that...shows a high degree of prefessionalism.
brickley is good imo. dave strader was excellent

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:12 AM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
so when this team is playing like dog *****...and I post that they are playing like dog *****...I'm a fake fan?
I don't think so....but I do think that people are reacting to those people on the GDT that were so quick to write off the team and the season when they were down 2-0.

It is one thing to acknowledge and call-out poor play...but some of the comments were really over the top in terms of the doom and gloom. Yes, they played badly in the first...but when posters start saying they've played like crap all year, that they're all useless, that everyone should be traded, Torts should be fired it just doesn't square with reality...at least not the reality of this season.

This is not an uber-talented team and yet throughout this season they have ground out wins no one expected, come back from behind (though not often from being down 3 I will admit) and found ways to claw and scratch their way back into games. A lot of our shoot-out wins come from getting a tie in regulation and holding off the opposition in OT. That speaks volumes about the character of this team that despite a lot of holes still finds ways to win.

As much as I hate to quote Larry Brooks, his comments a few months ago about these guys "bending but not breaking" really sums up a lot the season. I think what got some people annoyed was how quick people were to throw everyone under the bus and heap abuse on them after the first rather than rally behind them.

By all means call people out for poor play, but if you look at this past season this is a team that has pulled a lot of rabbits out of a lot of hats...What got people was how quickly some people forgot what this team has showed its fans all season.

Personally, I think Vinny's comments about the fans at MSG were right on...a standing O from a crowd that was booing you a few minutes earlier isn't exactly going to give the players chills...It makes them go, 'yeah...whatever...'

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Yeah, really. I have a major issue with people telling me I shouldn't boo the team when they're playing like crap. Fan means fanatic, and I AM a fanatic. So when they're playing good, I will scream my heart out for them..but if they're playing like crap, I'm gonna boo them, it's that simple. I pay my hard earned money, that's my right. Doesn't mean I'm giving up on them, or quitting on them...they're just pissing me off at that moment, and I'm letting 'em know about it!
Yes, it's getting kinda weird when 'fans' start telling you how fans are supposed to act, if they're allowed to boo or not, etc. People who pay a LOT of money to go to these games can express themselves however they choose.

Are we seriously getting into 'I'm a better fan than you' territory?

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 04-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If you want the fans to be consistent, then the team has to be consistent. The most zig-zaggy team in the NHL is going to produce the most zig-zaggy attitude amongst fans. We're not fickled because we feel like it. The Rangers do this to us themselves.
what he said

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:24 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
I don't think so....but I do think that people are reacting to those people on the GDT that were so quick to write off the team and the season when they were down 2-0.

It is one thing to acknowledge and call-out poor play...but some of the comments were really over the top in terms of the doom and gloom. Yes, they played badly in the first...but when posters start saying they've played like crap all year, that they're all useless, that everyone should be traded, Torts should be fired it just doesn't square with reality...at least not the reality of this season.

This is not an uber-talented team and yet throughout this season they have ground out wins no one expected, come back from behind (though not often from being down 3 I will admit) and found ways to claw and scratch their way back into games. A lot of our shoot-out wins come from getting a tie in regulation and holding off the opposition in OT. That speaks volumes about the character of this team that despite a lot of holes still finds ways to win.

As much as I hate to quote Larry Brooks, his comments a few months ago about these guys "bending but not breaking" really sums up a lot the season. I think what got some people annoyed was how quick people were to throw everyone under the bus and heap abuse on them after the first rather than rally behind them.

By all means call people out for poor play, but if you look at this past season this is a team that has pulled a lot of rabbits out of a lot of hats...What got people was how quickly some people forgot what this team has showed its fans all season.

Personally, I think Vinny's comments about the fans at MSG were right on...a standing O from a crowd that was booing you a few minutes earlier isn't exactly going to give the players chills...It makes them go, 'yeah...whatever...'
I get what you're saying about the people who overreact and say this person should go, and they've played like garbage all year, and Fire Torts..those people are idiots. But honestly Vinny should shut his pie whole..anyone who plays in NY knows when you're playing good, the people love you..when you're not, they're gonna let you know about it. Messier got booed for a good portion of the 92-93 season, and he never took it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yes, it's getting kinda weird when 'fans' start telling you how fans are supposed to act, if they're allowed to boo or not, etc. People who pay a LOT of money to go to these games can express themselves however they choose.

Are we seriously getting to 'I'm a better fan than you' territory?
Haha..exactly..I mean, other then starting fights, and getting out of hand with cursing when there's kids around, that is!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Haha..exactly..I mean, other then starting fights, and getting out of hand with cursing when there's kids around, that is!
Exactly!

Old
04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I continue. To stay. Positive.

I like my team.

04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I continue. To stay. Positive.

I like my team.
Pretty funny coming from someone who has a 'Sather has failed' signature right below this post!

Old
04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
CH2

Henrik Lundqvist is 6th in GAA, 5th in save%, 1st in shutouts, and 5th in wins, yet he's "on the outside looking in" for the Vezina talk. Unbelievable.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Pretty funny coming from someone who has a 'Sather has failed' signature right below this post!
It's his Jungian statement about the duality of man

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
HAPPY HOUR

So I'm assuming last nights "rumor" about Cally having a broken foot is BS then?

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Rinne is the flavor of the year goaltender, like Mason, Fernandez, and Jim Carey before him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Amazing game. First game my father and I have been able to watch together in almost 5 years. Will remember this one for awhile, at one point both of us were standing two feet in front of the tv going bananas.
Ive never heard the garden that loud on TV. The LGR chant seemed deafening.

LGR!

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
DrAStuart

Quote:
But honestly Vinny should shut his pie whole..anyone who plays in NY knows when you're playing good, the people love you..when you're not, they're gonna let you know about it. Messier got booed for a good portion of the 92-93 season, and he never took it personally.

But I think what Vinny is saying is that he DOESN'T take it personally...The standing O doesn't mean much when those same people were booing a few minutes earlier. The guys do it for each other, not for fans who only love them when they win...That seems to me to be the epitome of not taking it personally.

It seems to me that you want them to not take the booing personally, but to acknowledge the love when you choose to show it. You can't have it both ways...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
So I'm assuming last nights "rumor" about Cally having a broken foot is BS then?
Correct. Complete fabrication and/or baseless speculation.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

AGrossRecord
Did not see Callahan in the dressing room, which is unusual. Injured blocking shot?

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Been waiting for someone to point that out! lol

They've been on a tear ever since I put that on, so it's not coming off until the season is over!

Never mess with a streak!

Also: It's still true!

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 04-05-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: true
Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
But I think what Vinny is saying is that he DOESN'T take it personally...The standing O doesn't mean much when those same people were booing a few minutes earlier. The guys do it for each other, not for fans who only love them when they win...That seems to me to be the epitome of not taking it personally.

It seems to me that you want them to not take the booing personally, but to acknowledge the love when you choose to show it. You can't have it both ways...
He seemed to take it pretty personally... I mean he said that the win was for him and his teammates, and not the fans. Forget what the actual quote was but that was the jist of it.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Been waiting for someone to point that out! lol

They've been on a tear ever since I put that on, so it's not coming off until the season is over!

Never mess with a streak!
Gotcha. So you weren't so positive when they weren't playing well.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Henrik Lundqvist is 6th in GAA, 5th in save%, 1st in shutouts, and 5th in wins, yet he's "on the outside looking in" for the Vezina talk. Unbelievable.
Well unfortunately for him there are a couple of guys who are in the top 2 in both GAA and S%. True, they've played fewer games...but they have almost as many wins.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:45 AM
kennglin13

WFAN just reported Cally has a fractured ankle and is out for atleast the rest of the season

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
If the Islanders game was the lowest point of my disappointment...then this game is certainly the polar opposite of that. I'm a little displeased that it took a 3-0 deficit mid-way into the game for them to find their nuts...but I'm damn proud of the team this morning. If it was a test of their perseverance...they passed with flying colors. Bravo boys.

IMO phase I of the rebuild is over. There's a strong core of players capable of taking the team into the playoffs while a pipline feeds the system from the farm. It's time to start Phase II and surround this core with the necessary upper echelon talent that the draft hasn't yet provided.
Who are you, and what have you done with the poster known as Shadowtron?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
WFAN just reported Cally has a fractured ankle and is out for atleast the rest of the season
well that just sucks.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:

Disagree..we do not love this team ONLY when they're winning. We love them all the time, that's why we boo, cause we're frustrated. The people who didn't stick with this team thru the late 90's and early 2000's are the ones who are the fake fans. The ones who stuck it out, and have gone through 17 frustrating years since 94 are the true fans, and I'm sorry, we have the right to boo.

I've had this argument with people a million times. Some people choose not to boo, some people do. Both are a fan's right when they go to games. I don't knock the people who don't boo..and I don't want to hear from people that say I shouldn't boo. Doesn't make either of us less of a fan, and I am diehard as it gets.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well. That is just amazing.

Thank you Chara.

Gross;
Quote:
Heading to Rangers media availability now. Unfortunately, sounding like Callahan injury rumor may be accurate.