HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Message to Ray Emery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
  #51
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
It wasn't the Ottawa Sun that bought him out because his mere presence was detrimental to the team.

It wasn't Don Brennan who hung a necktie on the crossbar, and it wasn't Big Bruce who made him sulk and be a bad teammate. These are all things Ray Emery did, on his own.
How's Gerber doing these days, anyway?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:36 AM
  #52
Frodo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
How's Gerber doing these days, anyway?
How's Gerber got anything to do with how Emery behaved? Last I checked, Gerber wasn't bought out nor was he bad teammate.

Is that the best defense of Ray that you have? A non-defense?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
  #53
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
How's Gerber got anything to do with how Emery behaved? Last I checked, Gerber wasn't bought out nor was he bad teammate.

Is that the best defense of Ray that you have? A non-defense?
U mad bro? Gerber was a wet dishrag.

Emery was and still is the better of the 2. The organization botched it.

He was drafted by the Sens. He put in his time in Bingo. When it looked like he might get a shot, we signed Hasek. When that scenario played out the only way it could, Emery stepped up and filled in admirably- it looked like he earned a right to start then. But then we signed Gerber. Emery stayed down and won the starter's job outright. Helped lead us to the SCF (although many want to discredit his contribution ). Had surgery in the off-season and had to come back to fight for his own job.

I don't condone his actions, but when you're dealing with a 24 year-old cocky millionaire (goalie, no less) you shouldn't expect him to take it lying down just because you would.

The Senators were the best team in the league in 2007-08, but that wasn't good enough for the Sun. They needed controversy. That's what happens when there isn't a single hometown fan writing for your local paper: they don't give a **** whether they win or lose- as long as they sell papers. Add that to the fact that the largest media outlet in the country happens to be in the city of our biggest rival, and you're damned right this got blown way out of proportion, and then took on a life of its own.

Remember the article on Emery's bet with OUR CAPTAIN? And the subsequent tattoo? And the shock of the civil service as a whole that resulted? What do you call "fear of personality"?

And now he's fought his way back from being labeled, playing in Russia, and hip surgery, but you still have a hate on for him. At least Emery's matured since then.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
  #54
Frodo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
I'm not mad at all brotha.

Even if the media blew it out of proportion, how do you account for the team buying him out just to be rid of him?

Sure, he came back from surgery and had to compete for his job. Any professional would have to do that, especially considering Gerber won every pre-season game and went 15-2 to start the season.

Fact is, Emery was a bad teammate and a poor excuse of an Ottawa Senator.

If you want to love on Emery, go ahead, but don't try to fool yourself into thinking that it wasn't his own doing that brought about his end here and banishment to Russia.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
  #55
SensHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
U mad bro? Gerber was a wet dishrag.

Emery was and still is the better of the 2. The organization botched it.

He was drafted by the Sens. He put in his time in Bingo. When it looked like he might get a shot, we signed Hasek. When that scenario played out the only way it could, Emery stepped up and filled in admirably- it looked like he earned a right to start then. But then we signed Gerber. Emery stayed down and won the starter's job outright. Helped lead us to the SCF (although many want to discredit his contribution ). Had surgery in the off-season and had to come back to fight for his own job.

I don't condone his actions, but when you're dealing with a 24 year-old cocky millionaire (goalie, no less) you shouldn't expect him to take it lying down just because you would.

The Senators were the best team in the league in 2007-08, but that wasn't good enough for the Sun. They needed controversy. That's what happens when there isn't a single hometown fan writing for your local paper: they don't give a **** whether they win or lose- as long as they sell papers. Add that to the fact that the largest media outlet in the country happens to be in the city of our biggest rival, and you're damned right this got blown way out of proportion, and then took on a life of its own.

Remember the article on Emery's bet with OUR CAPTAIN? And the subsequent tattoo? And the shock of the civil service as a whole that resulted? What do you call "fear of personality"?

And now he's fought his way back from being labeled, playing in Russia, and hip surgery, but you still have a hate on for him. At least Emery's matured since then.

Emery has won a total of 34 games over the course of his last 4 years. I would say we bought him out at just the right time.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  #56
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
Emery has won a total of 34 games over the course of his last 4 years. I would say we bought him out at just the right time.
And lost 25 That's a better winning % than Spez in the faceoff circle...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:28 PM
  #57
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
The reports on him were blown way out of proportion when he was run out of town by the media and the police. Lots of players do the things he was alleged to have been doing, but for some reason he was vilified for it. His situation got to the point where he had to be moved- but to this day I haven't heard complaints about him from the players, nor have I heard him say a bad word about the organization.
Oy. The Police ran him out of town because they read the sun? Or did the Police force Murray to buy him out? How does that work?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
  #58
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Oy. The Police ran him out of town because they read the sun? Or did the Police force Murray to buy him out? How does that work?
I think Emery stated that out of 30 instances of being pulled over by police, he was given 3 tickets. Maybe he skated because of the fact that he's an NHLer- I highly doubt it.

The cops weren't impressed with Emery's appearance at a Snoop Dogg concert while Snoop was wearing a Sens' jersey with 187 on the back.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
  #59
slamigo
Skate or Die!
 
slamigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
The cops weren't impressed with Emery's appearance at a Snoop Dogg concert while Snoop was wearing a Sens' jersey with 187 on the back.
well, promoting murder is a little bit out of sync with community spirit, but to each their own.

I think Ray Emery will be the first to admit that his behaviour definitely played a large part in his treatment by fans, media, police, the Ottawa Senators organization.

But don't try and pin this all on Ottawa. This same behaviour would have got him in trouble in MTL, TO, Van, EDM, etc.

Basically, with his rep, he can pretty much only play in Southern California.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
  #60
nnynetpotato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Or anywhere on tha west coast,yo.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
  #61
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
well, promoting murder is a little bit out of sync with community spirit, but to each their own.
Very astute observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
I think Ray Emery will be the first to admit that his behaviour definitely played a large part in his treatment by fans, media, police, the Ottawa Senators organization.
He has admitted as much. My bone of contention is that he was alone in creating the mess. And fans scapegoating him for the decline of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
But don't try and pin this all on Ottawa. This same behaviour would have got him in trouble in MTL, TO, Van, EDM, etc.
It's true that the party lifestyle runs its course. I can think of a few ex-Habs that had to be shipped out, and one particular Oiler that took the heat for a number of players.

And yet certain Senators have injured themselves running from crashed vehicles they'd been driving while under the influence- and that has been swept under the rug. Although he was eventually run out of town, too...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
  #62
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,338
vCash: 500
Alright, I'll bite.

I think SensZen said it best, he's a 24 year old millionaire who happens to play hockey for a living on the winningest team at the time. He's cocky, tell me you wouldn't be.

He was scapegoated. Plain and simple. The team was on a decline and management wasn't prepared to say that the window of opportunity was closed. Nobody was. So naturally, they're gonna play the blame game and who makes a better candidate for the blame than the flamboyant, egocentric goalie who got a speeding ticket and showed up late to practice twice? That's right, the scapegoat was Emery.

He wasn't playing up to par that season, due to injury. He wasn't playing great. But is trying to play through injury any reason to buy out the guy's contract? No it isn't.

If you ask me, he was mistreated. He was mistreated by the media, the fans and the management. He had a poor attitude. He didn't deserve to go to the KHL. He should still be a Sen. But management made a mistake, they took the bait. But at the same time, it was the best thing for Emery as a person. His limited KHL career and his career threatening injury made him the player he is today.

Hate him because you don't like his attitude, hate him because you are a racist, hate him because you hate that Belly song, I don't care. Don't go around saying you wish he has mediocre stats and has an unsuccessful career. Of anyone, he deserves success the most. How many players can you say worked every day for 7 months just to maybe get back to playing hockey?

He battled, he won. He's a different person. He's not that cocky 24 year old anymore. He's a warrior and for that reason I have mad respect for the guy. Everyone should. Dont let some stupid grudge block your vision.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:58 AM
  #63
SensHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Alright, I'll bite.

I think SensZen said it best, he's a 24 year old millionaire who happens to play hockey for a living on the winningest team at the time. He's cocky, tell me you wouldn't be.

He was scapegoated. Plain and simple. The team was on a decline and management wasn't prepared to say that the window of opportunity was closed. Nobody was. So naturally, they're gonna play the blame game and who makes a better candidate for the blame than the flamboyant, egocentric goalie who got a speeding ticket and showed up late to practice twice? That's right, the scapegoat was Emery.

He wasn't playing up to par that season, due to injury. He wasn't playing great. But is trying to play through injury any reason to buy out the guy's contract? No it isn't.

If you ask me, he was mistreated. He was mistreated by the media, the fans and the management. He had a poor attitude. He didn't deserve to go to the KHL. He should still be a Sen. But management made a mistake, they took the bait. But at the same time, it was the best thing for Emery as a person. His limited KHL career and his career threatening injury made him the player he is today.

Hate him because you don't like his attitude, hate him because you are a racist, hate him because you hate that Belly song, I don't care. Don't go around saying you wish he has mediocre stats and has an unsuccessful career. Of anyone, he deserves success the most. How many players can you say worked every day for 7 months just to maybe get back to playing hockey?

He battled, he won. He's a different person. He's not that cocky 24 year old anymore. He's a warrior and for that reason I have mad respect for the guy. Everyone should. Dont let some stupid grudge block your vision.
Why? Because he trained hard for 7 months. Nobody wishes that kind of injury on anybody, athlete or not, but lets not pretend he is the only guy who ever got hurt and had to train hard everyday to come back from injury. Just a recent example is parise who tore an acl and even had to bring in a skating coach to change his stride to take as much pressure off his acl as possible. He worked with the coach "everyday". I'm not sure if his "everyday" is literal or if it means 5 days a week, but I guarantee you Parise didn't sit on the couch those other 2 days of the week. My point being that every NHLer works hard to come back from injury. That's not to take away from the effort of Emery or his recent success but training hard happens with most NHLer's. Someone who deserves success in my mind even more would be a guy like Marc Savard, who has trouble even looking at a bright light, or Daymond Langkow who was hit in the neck with a puck, how hard to you think he had to work to come back, he was out over 12 months, I bet he trained hard.

Emery put himself in the position to become a scapegoat. He wasn't the first guy to be late for a practice, but when you are battling back from an injury and trying to get the #1 job back, being late is just stupid. He should have been the guy who was 1st on the ice and last to leave, but instead he was the opposite. The backup for that days game usually stay late to take extra shots to help the players, Emery would head off the ice even before Gerber who was playing that night. He sulked on the bench, wasn't a great teammate. He allowed himself to become the scapegoat. I'm sure that everything that happened to him wasn't fair, there is no doubt about that. But it was just one thing after another. Sure the media ran with it, that's what happens in canadian cities, emery knew that but still kept messing up.

Whatever happens to him in the future I'm indifferent, win, lose, whatever. But he hurt this franchise, that's not debatable. Like i said, it wasn't all his fault, but he certainly didn't help himself.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
  #64
Rooverick*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
So many keystrokes wasted on a player who screwed the Sens with his immaturity.

Glad to see he's grown up and seems to be on the right path, but putting the blame on anyone but Emery for what happened while he was here is revisionist history at its' best.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
  #65
BigEyedPhish
Registered User
 
BigEyedPhish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: :D
Country: United States
Posts: 7,375
vCash: 500
I feel like Ray Emery and Charlie Sheen would make a great bromance..

@RayEmery: #Duh, Winning

Congrats, at overcoming your adversities.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:40 PM
  #66
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Loyal View Post
Woah woah woah

Woah

Woah. He has many supporters in Ottawa?
Add me to this list of supporters... after all he's been through, he deserves all the success he enjoys from here on out.

Clearly he learned from being bought out of his 10M contract and having to play a year in Russia, the cost of dogging it and the next time he got injured/ill, he worked his ass off to get back.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:10 PM
  #67
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
Why? Because he trained hard for 7 months. Nobody wishes that kind of injury on anybody, athlete or not, but lets not pretend he is the only guy who ever got hurt and had to train hard everyday to come back from injury. Just a recent example is parise who tore an acl and even had to bring in a skating coach to change his stride to take as much pressure off his acl as possible. He worked with the coach "everyday". I'm not sure if his "everyday" is literal or if it means 5 days a week, but I guarantee you Parise didn't sit on the couch those other 2 days of the week. My point being that every NHLer works hard to come back from injury. That's not to take away from the effort of Emery or his recent success but training hard happens with most NHLer's. Someone who deserves success in my mind even more would be a guy like Marc Savard, who has trouble even looking at a bright light, or Daymond Langkow who was hit in the neck with a puck, how hard to you think he had to work to come back, he was out over 12 months, I bet he trained hard.
I won't quote your last paragraphs because I will just be repeating myself, and I've already beaten the topic to death (This is the 2nd thread) and I don't have much more to say that I already haven't.

Anyways, guys like Parise and Langkow didn't have avascular necrosis. It's a totally different situation. The rehab is way less intense than the one that Emery went through.

However, I'm not going to discredit their efforts. They did train hard to get back into the game. Emery just trained harder, just to maybe have a chance to play hockey ever again, and he succeeded. Any player who's had to go through this and succeeded has my respect, not just Emery. But there is that sentimental attachment, because he did used to wear a Sens jersey.

I think the hate is coming from all the wrong places. To see him succeed would be something amazing.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.