HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Sharks - 04/04/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Last night. Clean face-off win by Stoll, Alec had an easy clear or an easy regroup pass to his defense partner but instead turned it over which lead to a shot-rebound-goal.
was that the first goal?

I can't remember it exactly, but didnt he ring it around the glass but it was gloved down?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
was that the first goal?

I can't remember it exactly, but didnt he ring it around the glass but it was gloved down?
Yeah, it was the first goal. If I recall correctly it didn't catch glass, he just passed it basically right to whoevers stick.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

meh watch it again, his 4 options are to pass it to Greene, who is standing infront of Quick (obviously a bad option), to pass it through the slot to Brown (bad option number 2) to try and backhand it with power all the way around the opposite side of the ice around the boards (very meh option as it is probably kept in the zone since it wouldnt have the pace to get around), or to throw it up the near side boards

Yes it got picked off and resulted in a goal, but he took the best option avilable to him

Old
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLivingston View Post
I don't watch baseball. I only hear it every time I watch a Lakers away game. I don't get why people care about hearing it. It's not even distasteful.
I don't watch baseball either, but I heard it originated from the Dodgers-Giants rivalry. And I don't mind hearing it. I was making the point that the Sharks use an anti-LA chant at their game, while LA has no such thing against the Sharks.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
meh watch it again, his 4 options are to pass it to Greene, who is standing infront of Quick (obviously a bad option), to pass it through the slot to Brown (bad option number 2) to try and backhand it with power all the way around the opposite side of the ice around the boards (very meh option as it is probably kept in the zone since it wouldnt have the pace to get around), or to throw it up the near side boards

Yes it got picked off and resulted in a goal, but he took the best option avilable to him
He didn't, but that's okay he's played pretty well this season.

Old
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Last night. Clean face-off win by Stoll, Alec had an easy clear or an easy regroup pass to his defense partner but instead turned it over which lead to a shot-rebound-goal.
I thought this was Quick's fault for that rebound right up the middle? My head hurts trying to keep up with who to blame for the goals.

Is it Quick or Martinez?

Overall, this game is on Murray yet again. Team wasn't prepared, team gave up another goal right after scoring and again only scored 1 goal. Those are all on Murray.

The Kings will continue to play for 2-1 wins and that completely depends on the defense and goaltending, if those groups have an off day, the Kings get blown out.

I would be shocked to see Bernier get the start against Phoenix (based on matchups, Bernier should start). Murry won't give Bernier 2 of 3 remaing games. We just have to hope that Bernier can come up huge against the Ducks and get the Kings in the playoffs.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I thought this was Quick's fault for that rebound right up the middle? My head hurts trying to keep up with who to blame for the goals.

Is it Quick or Martinez?
Because it CAN'T be both..

Old
04-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
He didn't, but that's okay he's played pretty well this season.
dont know what this supposed better option is, but in the grand scheme of things, if his worst mistake of the night resulted in a wrist shot from the boards 60 feet out, ill take it

Old
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
dont know what this supposed better option is, but in the grand scheme of things, if his worst mistake of the night resulted in a wrist shot from the boards 60 feet out, ill take it
Any defenseman knows that the safest play you can ever make is to go "glass-n-out." He could've went D-to-D to Greene and he would have been fine as well. You asked if me or anybody could remember a time where Martinez was responsible for a goal. I found one.

Also, just off the top of my head.. The third goal in Long Island was partially on him. All he had to do was close off somebody along the wall, or just got stick-on-puck.. He did neither and curled away, which allowed the Isles to make the pass in front for the goal.

Again though.. Irrelevant. He's played pretty well.

Old
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

D to D to Greene would have been a horrifically bad choice, easily the worst. Greene was literally standing 3 feet infront of Quick

Old
04-05-2011, 01:00 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
D to D to Greene would have been a horrifically bad choice, easily the worst. Greene was literally standing 3 feet infront of Quick
That doesn't always mean its a bad play. It would've been a simple D-to-D pass which happens all the time. I know in Mite hockey they always say to NEVER pass the puck into the middle of the ice, but these are professionals and it happens all the time. ESPECIALLY if it means you can get out of the zone without turning it over along the wall.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

you really think of a defensive zone faceoff, where all 10 skaters are within half of the zone, its safe to throw the puck to the front of your own net?

Old
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Ollie Weeks

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernier starting tomorrow night, and then using Quick in the back-to-back games against Anaheim this weekend, simply because of the more favourable goaltending matchup.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
you really think of a defensive zone faceoff, where all 10 skaters are within half of the zone, its safe to throw the puck to the front of your own net?
I thought Martinez made the play any defenseman would, but he had zero support from his winger, Ryan Smyth. Smyth's decrepit ass was already skating out of the zone and not helping his defenseman who was trying to chip the puck off the boards. Smyth has been a complete liability defensively, constantly turning pucks over, failing miserably in puck battles along the boards and failing to get the puck out of the zone.

The poor defensive play and lack of support from the forwards is one of the reasons why the Kings had so many defensive lapses and breakdowns. The two most gifted skaters and arguably most skilled players on the team are on the blueline in Doughty and Johnson, yet their efforts to help out offensively are squandered due to the lack of support on this team.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I thought Martinez made the play any defenseman would, but he had zero support from his winger, Ryan Smyth. Smyth's decrepit ass was already skating out of the zone and not helping his defenseman who was trying to chip the puck off the boards. Smyth has been a complete liability defensively, constantly turning pucks over, failing miserably in puck battles along the boards and failing to get the puck out of the zone.

The poor defensive play and lack of support from the forwards is one of the reasons why the Kings had so many defensive lapses and breakdowns. The two most gifted skaters and arguably most skilled players on the team are on the blueline in Doughty and Johnson, yet their efforts to help out offensively are squandered due to the lack of support on this team.
As much as I've been trying to see the positives in Smyth of late, that was the first thing I noticed about the play watching the highlights. He wasn't paying attention to his D-man whatsoever.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Johnny Utah

Some network was talking about how lost Penner looks in a Kings jersey and how it just doesn't look right, the fit. I pray that that is not the case.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Some network was talking about how lost Penner looks in a Kings jersey and how it just doesn't look right, the fit. I pray that that is not the case.
It didn't appear that way when he started off with Kopitar and Williams. He still looked good in that first game with Moller in place of Williams.

As others have said, Penner is a good support player, not a go-to-guy. He was brought in to compliment Kopitar's skills, and he did do that. Both Kopitar and Williams were playing better and creating more opportunities thanks to Penner's play. He needs those types of players in order to be an effective player.

Now that the focus has turned on him, we are seeing more than ever just how much of a support player Penner truly is. He will never be a go-to-guy and Edmonton learned that not long after they gave him that offer sheet.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Penner lost both of his linemates. As painful as it is to see him not produce as of late, is it really a surprise?

Sure he could do more offensively - so could everyone on this team.

The Kings hadn't lost by 5 all season until last night, and I can count on one hand how many games the Kings have been blown out of this season. Last nights game was an aberration. It's not worth critiquing.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It didn't appear that way when he started off with Kopitar and Williams. He still looked good in that first game with Moller in place of Williams.

As others have said, Penner is a good support player, not a go-to-guy. He was brought in to compliment Kopitar's skills, and he did do that. Both Kopitar and Williams were playing better and creating more opportunities thanks to Penner's play. He needs those types of players in order to be an effective player.

Now that the focus has turned on him, we are seeing more than ever just how much of a support player Penner truly is. He will never be a go-to-guy and Edmonton learned that not long after they gave him that offer sheet.
Spot on ziggy..

One thing I hope comes out of this, is the nonsense that kopitar doesn't make anyone better, from what I've seen is that he makes the entire team better.

Penner is not going to solve the offensive issues without a playmaker... Same can be said for the rest o the team. We in a very tough bind with lokti or schenn being available.

And I usually don't like bagging on smyth, but alot of peoples observations on smyth over the past weeks are also spot on. He is clearly a liability, and I hope he retires or goes back to Edmonton for a 5th r

scramble91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
nm...

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Ollie Weeks

I think if/when Williams returns you'll notice improvement from Penner.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Penner lost both of his linemates. As painful as it is to see him not produce as of late, is it really a surprise?

Sure he could do more offensively - so could everyone on this team.

The Kings hadn't lost by 5 all season until last night, and I can count on one hand how many games the Kings have been blown out of this season. Last nights game was an aberration. It's not worth critiquing.
Yes they have not been blown out of many games, but they have not come back to win many either. My theory on this is Murray will not change the system no matter what the score is. If the team is down by 2, the Kings will not take many chances and still have a defense first mentality.

It's great that the team doesn't lose many goals by more than a goal or 2, just pray that the Kings can remain tied or up by 1 after a period because there's very little chance of a comeback.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:19 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

1. I don't like the San Jose commentators
2. I think Quick is a great goalie and LA wouldn't be doing as well without him.
3. Although TM does some things I don't agree with he is still a good coach
4. That was a team loss because everyone played poorly.
5. Smyth doesn't do anything on the ice to help the team.
6. Penner is a ghost.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:47 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
I think if/when Williams returns you'll notice improvement from Penner.
I think the same is true with Moller. Both he and Penner seem pretty lost without Kopitar.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
One thing I hope comes out of this, is the nonsense that kopitar doesn't make anyone better, from what I've seen is that he makes the entire team better.
... It's not just the scoring that the Kings miss. It's his positioning, his puck handling skills, his size, his play on both ends of the ice. The Kings' play since Kopitar's been out has been fairly predictable, actually - the losses against Vancouver and San Jose have been examples where the team's attitude isn't right, they're aware that they're playing a good team and tend to think too much and they seem to think a second too slow, they're just missing the elements Anze brings to the team and they know it; other games, they just go out and play and don't over-think things, keeping the game simple, and they're able to find some success.

There are some here who seem to think that Williams coming back will solve a few things, but I think they're forgetting that Williams is also a support player, a guy who isn't going to scare defenses on his own nor create his own chances, he needs the open ice that his linemates (e.g., Anze) create for him. Not to mention that Williams will be 70-80% at best upon returning, and one solid hit might drop him back down to square one. Also, I don't think much of Williams as a defensive player, which will run counter to what the Kings will have to do in order to win in the playoffs.

As for the goaltending last night, it wasn't terrible by either guy and it wasn't any worse than the play of the rest of the team. Bernier played a little better than Quick did, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he came into the game cold - but Bernier could have given up four himself, after all; he was the beneficiary of a few breaks. It wasn't a night to remember for either guy. As it stands now, if I were the coach, I'd start Bernier against Phoenix, then split Quick and Bernier in the back-to-back against Anaheim. If the Kings play Phoenix in the first round, I don't see any reason why Bernier shouldn't get the majority of the starts. He's played well against the Coyotes, and I can't think of any strategy other than to keep running Bernier out there until that effectiveness is no longer with him. At the beginning of the season, it was clear that Quick was the superior goalie - but as the regular season comes to a close, how can anyone say objectively that Quick is any better than Bernier now? Bernier started the season very unfamiliar and ineffective as the #2, but has pulled himself together and really started to show what he's capable of doing.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote