Notices

Wild Games Move to KFAN Next Season

Old
04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild Games Move to KFAN Next Season

Per Russo and a half-dozen other folks. The writing was on the wall after WCCO took the Wolves.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Per Russo and a half-dozen other folks. The writing was on the wall after WCCO took the Wolves.
Why would you take the Wolves?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's a good question. Last time KFAN said no they ended up on a country station.

Old
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
mnwildgophers

That's a good trade-off. KFAN has a lot of the major sports now in the two footballs (Gophers and Vikings) along with the Wild. They seem to be a bigger juggernaut than 1500. I much prefer to listen to KFAN, but I prefer the amount of Twins talk on 1500. I can't listen to Sooch though, so I hope we get to see more Wild content on KFAN.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I just hope this means they pay more attention to the Wild and discuss them like they would hosts would force the T-Wolves. At the same time, there's really no one besides Mileski and bringing in Nanne/Micheletti on KFAN to discuss (pro) hockey.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I just hope this means they pay more attention to the Wild and discuss them like they would hosts would force the T-Wolves. At the same time, there's really no one besides Mileski and bringing in Nanne/Micheletti on KFAN to discuss (pro) hockey.
Yeah I know that Cory Cove always liked the Wolves as well as PA, but PA seems like the kind of guy that caters to what's going on in the sports world. He has Gorg on once a week already and had that bit with the Gophers hockey just about every week.

Common Man will just be how he is with all of the teams, so we probably won't see much of a change from him. Barrierro (sp?) might have Nanne on more often. I'm a fan of the change though, and if the team does something, they will talk about them as is evidence this year when the team was in a playoff spot.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's funny, Soucheray is the only reason I ever listen to 1500, although it's all via podcast now. Otherwise it's all national crap and Twins talk. KFAN is nice, but way too obsessed with Vikings and Wolves. Neither of the stations think of the Wild as anything more than an afterthought, and KFAN has been ticking me off lately lumping them in with the Wolves so much. I mean, the Wild were in it up until a month ago, the Wolves were out of it in game one.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's funny, Soucheray is the only reason I ever listen to 1500, although it's all via podcast now. Otherwise it's all national crap and Twins talk. KFAN is nice, but way too obsessed with Vikings and Wolves. Neither of the stations think of the Wild as anything more than an afterthought, and KFAN has been ticking me off lately lumping them in with the Wolves so much. I mean, the Wild were in it up until a month ago, the Wolves were out of it in game one.
Agreed with you there. I don't like that either. Yeah, we're out of it, but the Wild are much better than the Wolves. The Wolves have to have a worse drafting record than the Wild.

I'm a huge baseball junkie so I love the Twins talk, but if the Wild are a big story, they will be forced to talk about them. They talk about the Vikes so much because it's such a huge market of people to reach. I'm sure their ratings go up even though there's really nothing to talk about since people don't know if there's going to be football.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Actually, Soucheray is a big reason I got to following the Wild, because he got really caught up in the 2003 playoff run. I also forgot about Nanne, love listening to him.

Old
04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
... KFAN is nice, but way too obsessed with Vikings and Wolves. Neither of the stations think of the Wild as anything more than an afterthought, and KFAN has been ticking me off lately lumping them in with the Wolves so much. ..
My exact same observations. This station has no love of hockey. It's a shame that
two of the very best in the business (Kurtz, Reid) now have to be affiliated with KFAN. This can't be a good sign of for the Wild.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Good move I guess.

Let's see how it turns for the Wild next season...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:23 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Agreed with you there. I don't like that either. Yeah, we're out of it, but the Wild are much better than the Wolves. The Wolves have to have a worse drafting record than the Wild.

I'm a huge baseball junkie so I love the Twins talk, but if the Wild are a big story, they will be forced to talk about them. They talk about the Vikes so much because it's such a huge market of people to reach. I'm sure their ratings go up even though there's really nothing to talk about since people don't know if there's going to be football.
Well Minneapolis is a Vikings town first and everything else comes second.

Old
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Well Minneapolis is a Vikings town first and everything else comes second.
Not with the lock-out!
It will be interesting to see how interests in other sports are shifted. As well as the potential NBA lockout. Maybe it will push the NHL into relevancy

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Unless the Wild do something or have a story, it'll be Twins, Gophers, Wild.

Old
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Unless the Wild do something or have a story, it'll be Twins, Gophers, Wild.
Playoffs!

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Will this affect the actual content of the game broadcasts, or just where it's located? If I'm listening it's almost always through Wild.com anyway.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Don't believe so.

Quote:
The Wild deal is for three years beginning next season. While the club controls the broadcast and hires the talent, Clear Channel operations manager Gregg Swedberg says, "We would never even think of changing the announcing team. We love Bob Kurtz and Tom Reid."

The Wild got a bigger rating on WCCO than the Wolves did on KFAN, though neither team got much above a 1 percent share of the nighttime audience. It will be interesting to see if the team or station matters more to next year's number.

Old
04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I can't stand "ESPN" 1500. Won't listen to it at all.

I listen to KFAN if I'm listening to sports radio. The morning show is generally solid. PA is great to listen to when things are going good (read: Vikes two seasons ago). It was genuinely fun to listen to. I may be in the minority but I find Common's show to be pure gold. Barreiro is a good listen but like PA, he'll grind on you if you listen too often.

My only problem with the move is that KFAN is really patchy once you get a little ways out of the Twin Cities at night.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
State of Hockey

If The Fan's signal made it down to me at night, I'd be greatly in favor of the move. KFAN should give a little more effort into making the Wild a big deal. But as it stands, I'm a bit mixed on this.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I agree I love Common.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
don't care, don't listen to the radio.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

It doesn't matter, KFAN is all vikings all the time. Period.

The reality is that there are so few "hockey guys" on the radio/print, that The Wild are secondary material. And it won't change when they start on KFAN.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well it can only be a good thing. WCCO is not a sports station. It's an old people's station. Frankly I'm surprised they let the Twins go because the only people I know who listen to the Twins on the radio religiously are people's grandparents.

1500 is barely a sports station. It's a former talk show station that has the Twins, three local shows, and mostly syndication.

KFAN is the biggest sports station in the Twin Cities, and that's a huge jump for the Wild. Yes, KFAN WILL talk more about the Wild, because they are a business. Their money comes from advertising, which comes from listeners. They will try and drive listeners to the Wild games by talking them up throughout the day. They have Nanne already, who might be the greatest hockey mind in the state (for my money anyway).

At the end of the day, I don't care that much, because I don't listen to the radio much. Yes it would be nice to get slightly more Wild talk on the drive home, but Russo Radio is on after I get home, so I just get Nanne at 5:15 on Tuesdays, and that's it.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:37 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Wow, the Wild and Gopher hockey were the only reasons I ever turned on WCCO... now they have neither.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Think it's only a matter of time before WCCO radio goes under now.

They can take the Wolves with them...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote