HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan Out Indefinitely - Broken Ankle

Old
04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
What a loss. Even worse for Cally himself. Still can't wait for the playoffs but this certainly puts a damper on me, and probably the team and their chances to do anything past the first round.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
My Prediction: We play Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and Cally comes back earlie because we need him. He plays injured, and Crosby decides to slew foot him again... with full intention to end his career. Then Dubie beats the living hell out of Crybaby, and the biggest hockey fight in history is born!

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
My Prediction: We play Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and Cally comes back earlie because we need him. He plays injured, and Crosby decides to slew foot him again... with full intention to end his career. Then Dubie beats the living hell out of Crybaby, and the biggest hockey fight in history is born!
The highest we can go is 6th place, we can't catch Tampa.

Cally won't be back at earliest 5 weeks.

04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers went 11-7-2 when Callahan broke his hand in December. Callahan missed 5 games late last season with a knee sprain. It's not like the Rangers haven't played without Callahan in the line-up. Just play.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers went 11-7-2 when Callahan broke his hand in December. Callahan missed 5 games late last season with a knee sprain. It's not like the Rangers haven't played without Callahan in the line-up. Just play.
I has more to do with the fact that most of our offense has involved him in some form lately.

He also seems to dictate how the rest of the team plays.

But you're right, there is nothing we can do but go out and play.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Awful news about Cally. He is a great player. He played very well last night and was a treat to watch. He, Staal and Lundqvist are my favorite Rangers to watch.

Just wanted to give a little insight on the injury as I've had 6 fractures in the same ankle in 3 years and from what I've learned about the ankle there are positives from the injury as crazy as it sounds.

It was a break rather than a sprain. This means the injury will heal quicker and that the ligaments and tendons are still in tact which means he still has joint stability and that his flexibility will also remain in tact. This will help in rehabbing as it's the biggest reason it can take a long time to get back to 100%.

He also doesn't seem to need surgery, huge positive. This means the break was clean and again, is favorable for a quick recovery. It will be interesting to see if he's on crutches or a walking boot.

Cally is strong and in amazing shape and couple that with treatment he will make a full recovery and his ankle will be stronger than ever. Once healed, the more weight he puts on it, the tougher it will be.

It really sucks and I hope he makes a quick recovery.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Exactly. Some people are making it seem like the Rangers hard-working identity is totally lost without Callahan, when in reality most of the players on this team have worked hard night in and night out, injuries and all.

We had a few gutsy wins when Cally was injured. 1-0 win over the best team in the league, the Canucks. Wins against Atlanta and NJ, our next two opponents. And a win against Washington, whom we could potentially play against in the first round. Horrible injury, but hardly the end of the world.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:47 PM
NYROrtsFan

Hard working isn't the problem. All teams work hard in the playoffs... But what typically sets teams apart in the playoffs is talent on the ice and Cally is a top 3 forward on our team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

"This is the game Torts has chosen !" - Hyman Sather

Blocked shots, worth the price of all the players we see getting hurt?

Not the way ya want to go into the playoffs, with Cally accepting the extra effort award Thursday on crutches, that's either gonna kill all spirits or someone will step it up and get the Cally energy mojo goin, which is what ya gotta hope for in this situation.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Hard working isn't the problem. All teams work hard in the playoffs... But what typically sets teams apart in the playoffs is talent on the ice and Cally is a top 3 forward on our team.
Bottom line is it's a huge blow. This team is clearly not the most talented in the league and has achieved most of its success from playing a tough, gritty style, of which Cally was a leader. Can they win without him...sure. But it's going to be even more difficult than it already was.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Levitate

really people are *****ing at Tortorella for having a team that blocks shots? How many times have we heard over the years from everyone including former players, GMs, and guys who have called games for their entire careers, that it's doing things like blocking shots and sacrificing yourself that help your team win and are necessary to go far in the playoffs?

Who's going to go up to Callahan and tell him "stop playing so hard, stop blocking shots, we don't want you to get hurt, we need you to play with less intensity and more selfishness"?

You think Callahan would listen to anyone who says that? You think the Rangers are competitive in any way if they don't play like this?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
really people are *****ing at Tortorella for having a team that blocks shots? How many times have we heard over the years from everyone including former players, GMs, and guys who have called games for their entire careers, that it's doing things like blocking shots and sacrificing yourself that help your team win and are necessary to go far in the playoffs?

Who's going to go up to Callahan and tell him "stop playing so hard, stop blocking shots, we don't want you to get hurt, we need you to play with less intensity and more selfishness"?

You think Callahan would listen to anyone who says that? You think the Rangers are competitive in any way if they don't play like this?
Everything's Tortorella's fault here.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Our chances at making it past the 2nd round just got significantly smaller.

Get well soon.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post

Our chances at making it past the 2nd round just got significantly smaller.

Get well soon.
Your avatar makes me want to punch babies

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Everything's Tortorella's fault here.
Straka broke his hand blocking a Chara slapshot when Torts was still coaching the Lightning. Clearly Tortorella's fault.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:12 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
If by "injury bug" you mean 105mph pucks flying at their ankles.

This is simply a bi-product of our identity and the way we play. We have to accept it, because it we didn't play this way, we would have been eliminated from playoff contention weeks ago.
+1

This sux but this is the game that the 2010 NYR play. Gritty with lots of shot blocking.

I'm shocked we haven't had more injuries.....oh wait.

We would have shook things up in the PO's and upset a few teams (and we still could) but I doubt we would get past the whoever makes it out of the West.

So just go in and slug it out with this amazing never say die attitude this team has and lets see what happens.

The yoots shocked a lot of people when we had 7 rooks in the line up, this team did the same last night...let's see what happens.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
SPG

FML.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Well, we'll just have to do as Gaborik says. Keeping winning until Callahan can return.

It sounds so simple.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
AGHH, my ankle is crying just thinking about this.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:18 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Please, you should see the tool I'm arguing with on WFAN's website. He's actually calling Tort's defensive style "stupid". So I went back at him, and even borrowed a few quotes from this thread to make my points to him...hope Jagr68NYR94Leetch, NYR94 and hpNYR don't sue me for copyright infringements..I did try to make them convey my own thoughts!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
chip chipperson*

gaborik said it best. go deep maybe cally can come back

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Silly, yeh. Especially the first part.
Let's not get into a religious discussion on these boards.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

ESPN changed their headline from broken ankle to broken leg.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
Your avatar makes me want to punch babies
I thought I was going to punch a baby when Sather signed that POS 2 off seasons ago.

With him gone, it was only fitting that I bashed (pun intended) him in my avatar.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:26 PM
3Four3

I was supposed to order Chinese but after hearing about Cally, I think I threw-up a little in my mouth and am no longer hungry.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote