HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Gilroy - RW

Old
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
why are people so freakin negative? the guy has some wheels still and if he doesn't have to worry about being the first man back, I think we could see a few good shifts out of him. Hopefully his experience at D makes him a good back checker.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Gilroy is going to score the game winner in a game 7, you watch, lmao.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I'd be shocked if Gilroy actually plays at forward. I see another forward being double shifted with Avery and EC before Gilroy actually skates at forward. I think Gilroy is being dressed as a 7th defenseman and will somehow be rotated in to the defense during the game.

I think it's clear that the Rangers are going with 3 lines and I'm sure that's the tactic Torts wants to go now.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'd be shocked if Gilroy actually plays at forward. I see another forward being double shifted with Avery and EC before Gilroy actually skates at forward. I think Gilroy is being dressed as a 7th defenseman and will somehow be rotated in to the defense during the game.

I think it's clear that the Rangers are going with 3 lines and I'm sure that's the tactic Torts wants to go now.
why would Torts say he was dressing Gilroy as a forward then? They would have said we are dressing Gilroy as a 7th D.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM
ThisYearsModel

I like it. Gilroy has wheels and can be flexible.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I feel like this is just speculation and it sounds more like Drury will be back Saturday

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
I for one am excited to see what this experiment with Gilroy could bring. He's speedy and could help push a rush with EC & Avery. But really how much time do we see the 4th line getting anyway. And then should anything happen with our D-Men we have a spare (and I use that term loosely) on the 4th.

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
the only reason I don't like this is because Avery and EC have been playing well and EC in particular has been a great guy for us down the stretch last season and this season, and if Gilroy actually plays over Drury that means those guys are probably not seeing much ice time at all, especially Avery who doesn't play on the PP

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Gilroy sucks. He is tissue soft. And now we expect him to cycle and forecheck? Not seeing it.

I'd be surprised if he was anything other than awful.
Rather have Zuccarello back, honestly. Yeah, he wasnt all the great lately - but he still has a tenacity that could work out on that Step/Wolski line or another. If Torts feels hes just not getting it done and/or is getting beat up too often then fine, i trust him. Thing is i doubt Gilly will do much up front. He doesnt have much of a shot even if he is fortunate enough to find himself in a prime scoring position.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
irishlaxburger2

Gilroy was pretty much a glorified winger playing defense in the first place so I really have no problem with giving it a try.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:21 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Rather have Zuccarello back, honestly.
Why not sit Christensen?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Gilroy played forward before college and honestly, i dont see any reason why the kid shouldn't get a shot. He was originally brought in for his offense and this is his chance to show that he can create offense and use the skill he has. Very unlikely he turns into Callahan but guys like Callahan and Girardi got chances to make names for themselves by filling in for injuries...this is Gilroy's chance to do something similar...whether he does we will have to wait and see.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:29 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Why not sit Christensen?
Because neither is a center, and Dubinsky and Prospal have played better on the wing.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Because neither is a center, and Dubinsky and Prospal have played better on the wing.
Yeah, he may win a faceoff. If anything happens after the fact...yeah.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Eh... the criticisms people are leveling at Gilroy are mostly accurate BUT, I do think there is some selling short of how different the game will be for him on the wing than on the blue line; we literally could see a different Gilroy. No, his skill set isn't going to change, but there's a certain mental freedom that comes with being a winger that a defenseman never really gets to enjoy. I know it doesn't compare, but I played college hockey and began as a winger (which I had been my whole life) and transitioned to D half way through my sophomore year and stayed there and it was a different world. If Gilroy frees himself up to play a little, he could be a very effective third line forward, IMO.

Of course, like most of you and with good reason, I've very near given up on Gilroy and don't care if he's brought back next year at all, but I do see a small chance that Gilroy could be more effective as a winger than he's ever been on the blue line. Honestly, I've always thought the wing was where he belonged so now that he's going to get a cup of coffee there, I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how it plays out.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:50 PM
VJ Rangerfan

Send a message via AIM to VJ Rangerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Eh... the criticisms people are leveling at Gilroy are mostly accurate BUT, I do think there is some selling short of how different the game will be for him on the wing than on the blue line; we literally could see a different Gilroy. No, his skill set isn't going to change, but there's a certain mental freedom that comes with being a winger that a defenseman never really gets to enjoy. I know it doesn't compare, but I played college hockey and began as a winger (which I had been my whole life) and transitioned to D half way through my sophomore year and stayed there and it was a different world. If Gilroy frees himself up to play a little, he could be a very effective third line forward, IMO.

Of course, like most of you and with good reason, I've very near given up on Gilroy and don't care if he's brought back next year at all, but I do see a small chance that Gilroy could be more effective as a winger than he's ever been on the blue line. Honestly, I've always thought the wing was where he belonged so now that he's going to get a cup of coffee there, I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how it plays out.
+1, Good post

VJ Rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Gilroy sucks. He is tissue soft. And now we expect him to cycle and forecheck? Not seeing it.

I'd be surprised if he was anything other than awful.
how is this clown Gilroy getting his contract before he played in the NHL??? 1.8 wtf who pays that for an unknown college player??? who is Gilroy's agent?? i hope that agent doesnt have any other rangers as clients....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
RegalRangers

This is a good chance for Gilroy to prove his worth to the organization. As of right now he's certainly not a guy we expect to see on the team a year or two from now. And while I can see him struggling to hold on to the puck in the offensive zone I think we might find him to be pretty useful in transition... Just temporary until Drury's back anyway...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
rather have cally out there draggin his dead limb around.

thats what i think about matt girlroy at forward.
haha.

well he's no cally thats for sure, but if it's not working out it's not like there aren't some other options we can try out/go with.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:36 PM
rody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Gilroy has played one NHL shift as a forward.

He was a -1 in that very shift.
If I remember they had said he played forward all his career and changed to d in college , I could be mistaken.

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Rather have Zuccarello back, honestly. Yeah, he wasnt all the great lately - but he still has a tenacity that could work out on that Step/Wolski line or another. If Torts feels hes just not getting it done and/or is getting beat up too often then fine, i trust him. Thing is i doubt Gilly will do much up front. He doesnt have much of a shot even if he is fortunate enough to find himself in a prime scoring position.
i would have just kept up Newbury and Zucc

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
JimmyStart*

Isn't there anyone on the whale we can use...? Friggin call zuke back or use grachev and switch someone else over. The electricitiy might stir something in the kid. Not gonna happen but geez I have a hard time imagining it'd be a worse decision...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Gilroy played forward before college
Yah, Gilroy grew up as a forward. How much of that translates to NHL hockey 6 years later? Probably not a enough, but it's not like we're talking about Eminger moving to forward here. I probably go with MZA first, but what do I know.

As for Gilroy in general, I do think people are going overboard with the negative characterizations. He played well enough when reserve defenseman took on a big role last winter and did it on the side of the ice he'd never played before. The team needs him in a pinch again, I'm sure he'll do a serviceable job in a minor role. What more can you ask for from a reserve player?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
NY Ranger86

ummmmm Zuccs??

Why are we using Gilroy????????????

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
NY Ranger86