HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kopitar Post-surgery Interview

Old
04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
Kopitar Post-surgery Interview

Many thanks to Vrankol for providing this translation and the permission to post the translation here.

An interview with Kopitar, conducted by Slovenian Hockey Association on April, 5th.

A surgery to repair broken fibula bone and torn ligaments in Anze's right leg went well and is now a thing of the past. Anze might not be able to help his team in this crucial time of the year, but is in good mood and optimistic about his rehab and new challenges ahead of him.

Anze, how was surgery and how do you feel now? Are you still in pain?

This was my first major surgery. Sure, I was injured in my first season here, when I'd miss ten games at the end of the season, but it was only a short rehab that I needed back then.
I didn't know what to expect from this surgery, but the doctors obviously did a great job. They said that themselves and when you regain consciousness after being under narcosis, that's good to hear. I still feel some pain, but it's going away day by day. Speaking of rehab ... we'll see. I'm seeing some doctors today and they should tell whether the plaster cast can be removed or not. If they are to remove it, I'll probably be getting a special orthopedic boot. It's this new thing one can adjust to fit the leg.

So you're not filled in on how your rehab will be going on yet?

No, not yet. For now, I just need to rest and hold my leg upward to prevent blood from entering the leg and cause pain. I will begin excercising as soon as doctors tell me I'm cleared to do it.

So, you're staying in L.A. to complete the therapy. Are you planning on putting your skates on there or will it be in Slovenia already?

I'll be staying in L.A. for quite awhile. No plans on returning back home have been made yet and most likely won't be very soon. As far as I know, they will want me to stay here to complete the physical therapy. I will start thinking about returning home when everything is said and done here.

You're once again coming off a very successful season in a Kings uniform. How do you feel about it when comparing it to the last season?

I guess it was similar in a way. I came very close to tie last season's success point-wise and I managed to improve some other numbers, such as +/- stat and face-off percentage. I see it as a step ahead in my career, especially in maturing process. I hope I will be able to fully overcome the injury and step into next season 100% ready, as has ever been the case.

You've been introduced to a new role lately. A role of Kings biggest armchair fan. How do you feel when watching your teammates play on TV?

Truth be told, it's easier to play than watch. When on ice, you don't have time to think about what will happen or how it will happen. When watching it on TV, everything seems to run slower. Obviously it's not fun watching your teammates and not being able to help them, but it is what it is. I'm doing my best at cheering for them!

What are your predictions for this team? How far will they go? Playoffs are almost a guarantee.

Yes, we're knocking on playoffs' door, but we're not there yet. The last 4 games will be tough and we're also in a hunt for 4th place in the conference, which would bring us home advantage. These games mean a lot. Then, once in the playoffs, you never know what's gonna happen. It's always tense and interesting. I wish for the Kings to go as deep as possible.

Link to the original text: Kopitar: "Veliko lazje je igrati kot gledati hokej"

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Nice to hear that he's staying in LA

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
They said that themselves and when you regain consciousness after being under narcosis, that's good to hear.
So the surgery was a success because he woke up? I know some people are afraid of general anesthetic, but I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that sentence.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Is it possible to replace Kompon with Kopitar as the PP coach?

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:35 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Great find, Tony. There are moments where it's plain to see that Kopitar is mature beyond his years.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Great find, Tony. There are moments where it's plain to see that Kopitar is mature beyond his years.
How exactly? Seems like standard thought-process for a 23 year-old.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
So the surgery was a success because he woke up? I know some people are afraid of general anesthetic, but I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that sentence.
Well, waking up from the surgery is the first step. Otherwise you have the infamous "the operation was a success, but the patient died".

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Well, waking up from the surgery is the first step. Otherwise you have the infamous "the operation was a success, but the patient died".

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Of course the surgery was a success.
he didnt wake up looking MORE like this:
Attached Images
File Type: gif KarloffFrankensteinAni.gif‎ (163.9 KB, 2 views)

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

It's good to hear he's going to stay in LA and do this the right way. He's a hard worker. I thought his self evaluation was interesting, noting his improvement on +/- and FO%.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I think you are taking that out of context:

Quote:
I didn't know what to expect from this surgery, but the doctors obviously did a great job. They said that themselves and when you regain consciousness after being under narcosis, that's good to hear.
I think he is saying the doctors did a good job and told him as much when he woke up which is what you'd like to hear after going under.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

I think he is saying the doctors did a good job and told him as much when he woke up which is what you'd like to hear after going under.
Aaaaah. That makes much more sense. Rereading it with your comment, now I see how I misread it.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post

LOL.

Like you would ever wake up and have doctors ADMIT "hey, sorry, but we botched you sugery, you'll never skate again!"

If that has happened to anyone you know PLEASE refer them my way!

Old
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
LOL.

Like you would ever wake up and have doctors ADMIT "hey, sorry, but we botched you sugery, you'll never skate again!"

Why would you tell them?

It's better to always leave it as a surprise. ^^

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
How exactly? Seems like standard thought-process for a 23 year-old.
... He just seems to have a really sharp and realistic awareness of his situation and his role on the team, as well as where he is in terms of his career. I've seen a lot of 23-year-olds who didn't have that good of a grasp on things. Hell, I've seen 33-year-olds who didn't.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... He just seems to have a really sharp and realistic awareness of his situation and his role on the team, as well as where he is in terms of his career. I've seen a lot of 23-year-olds who didn't have that good of a grasp on things. Hell, I've seen 33-year-olds who didn't.
I see what you're saying, but at this point if he didnt have that awareness with everything DL has said in the media about the core players having to be leaders and commit everything to the team and carry it on their backs, he'd have to be more dense than lead.

I just hope he comes back with a more aggressive approach (which is counter-intuitive) about what he has to do to lead this team to the place we all want it to get to. I am still not convinced that we have the players we need to be a perennial contender, and I dont necessarily see them in our system either, although I do see the possibility of some diamonds in the rough.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
123slam

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but at this point if he didnt have that awareness with everything DL has said in the media about the core players having to be leaders and commit everything to the team and carry it on their backs, he'd have to be more dense than lead.

I just hope he comes back with a more aggressive approach (which is counter-intuitive) about what he has to do to lead this team to the place we all want it to get to. I am still not convinced that we have the players we need to be a perennial contender, and I dont necessarily see them in our system either, although I do see the possibility of some diamonds in the rough.
Exactly.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Maybe he should stay away from watching the Kings play, it's not good for his health.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Ha, good one!

I can only imagine how hard it is to watch your team in PO, not being able to help them after you have been there whole season. I hope at least Williams joins soon.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
LOL.

Attorney?

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:02 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

You guys don't know what kind of a **** load it is to translate from Slovenian to any other language, believe me when I say it is tough to get it 100% accurate.

I would be thankful to the guy that did the work and he did well.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
LOL.

I don't know... Depends on how badly they botched it I guess and if negligence was involved, but doctors have some pretty badass insurance so, while it doesn't help the reputation, sweeping it under the rug doesn't seem to do much in my eyes. Though, I suppose in this world, it is a common occurrence to deny such mistakes, as the horror stories flooding out of the healthcare community will plainly suggest.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote