HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What changes are needed for the Flames game?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Rafters

vCash: 500
What changes are needed for the Flames game?

After that performance against the Nucks I sure hope MacT and company make some line up changes for the Flames game. I think Semi and Stoll will finally get a chance. Hopefully Ferguson and Pisani are out. Ferguson is way to slow( Cross is not much better). Pisani was terrible as well. The play died on his stick every time he touched the puck. It would also be nice if the Comrie situation was handled sooner then later, it can not be good for the team the longer this goes on. Any thoughts on lineup changes or how to end the comrie situation as soon as possible. I think a Comrie for Antropov trade would help both teams.

Old
10-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3991731
I think a Comrie for Antropov trade would help both teams.

Can we stop with this Antropov crap. Antropov is injury prone and Comrie is worth more than Antropov.

10-12-2003, 09:31 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Keep the exact same lineup. Why start messing around too much right now? Send the RPM line out there to start the game to start banging bodies and raise the intensity level. Follow that with the top line and BANG! its 1-0 Oilers!

Old
10-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Stoll...not quite yet because our center situation is working fine and Smyth deserves at least one more game at that position.

Defense though, Semenov has to draw in...scratch one of or both Ferguson and Cross because they are brutal. Maybe dress Semenov and Stoll but let Stoll play D...he can probably play that position better than Cross.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:00 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
I think we sould put Hemsky back with Smyth

Chimera-Smyth-Hemsky

Isbister-York-Dvorak

Isbister had success with York and Dvorak last Year.

Old
10-12-2003, 10:55 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew

Chimera-Smyth-Hemsky

Isbister-York-Dvorak

I would agree with this. I would also sit Cross and replace with Semenov. If it was possible to put Stoll on the RPM line, I would replace Pisani for one game. I think that Stoll would play well against CGY, however he's not great on the wing, and I don't like taking Horcoff off of that Torque line quite yet. This is one reason why I thought it was best to keep Rita or Salmo around - as either on would be a great replacement for that third line RW spot for some extra jump.

Something clearly needs to be done about the Comrie situation though... with a centre to play on the top two lines coming back. This is downright brutal. Smyth is not a good centreman. The only time he looked okay last night is when he was stuck along the boards.

I admire Lowe's patience in making the big deal, but he is terrible at making the small moves. He should take a page out of Burke's book as far as that goes, because there are a lot of things the Oilers could do as a temporary fix.

Old
10-12-2003, 11:46 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle
Stoll...not quite yet because our center situation is working fine and Smyth deserves at least one more game at that position.

Defense though, Semenov has to draw in...scratch one of or both Ferguson and Cross because they are brutal. Maybe dress Semenov and Stoll but let Stoll play D...he can probably play that position better than Cross.
Agreed. Smytty won 10 of 13 draws. He had some bad giveaways last night because his teammates were out of position. MacT said "we're working on that". (paraphrase)

I don't have a big problem with Cross (yet). I do have a problem with where he's being used. Bring in Semi and sit Fergie.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:52 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Agreed. Smytty won 10 of 13 draws. He had some bad giveaways last night because his teammates were out of position. MacT said "we're working on that". (paraphrase)
While some of his giveaways were a result of poor positioning by his linemates... a fair number of those giveaways came at the result of Ryan Smyth trying to pinpoint passes through some Vancouver defenders. Low percentage passes like those aren't necessarily the best thing I'd encourage him to try as a center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I don't have a big problem with Cross (yet). I do have a problem with where he's being used. Bring in Semi and sit Fergie.
And that for sure means paired with Brewer.

Old
10-12-2003, 01:23 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
While some of his giveaways were a result of poor positioning by his linemates... a fair number of those giveaways came at the result of Ryan Smyth trying to pinpoint passes through some Vancouver defenders. Low percentage passes like those aren't necessarily the best thing I'd encourage him to try as a center.
True. At times he tried to make things happen, when there was little chance of success. I did say "some", so I guess we're both right.

Old
10-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Boondock Saint

The thing that concerned me the most about last night's game was that no one stepped up the intensity. I can understand that skill guys have off nights, but guys like Laraque, Torres and Moreau need to step up the intensity when the guys are flat. Staios did a bit, but ended up taking a boarding penalty on Keane.

In games like the Vancouver one, we need guys like Torres and Laraque to start taking bodies instead of letting Van walk all over us all night.

I thought this year's line-up would be a little better at that.

Old
10-12-2003, 03:59 PM
glimradnor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew

Chimera-Smyth-Hemsky

Isbister-York-Dvorak

Excellent thinking. Those would be two decent lines. I am confused as to what MacT thinks he is doing. I think we also NEED to see Seminov out there soon. That kid is going to be good.

Old
10-12-2003, 06:55 PM
glimradnor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by glimradnor
Excellent thinking. Those would be two decent lines. I am confused as to what MacT thinks he is doing. I think we also NEED to see Seminov out there soon. That kid is going to be good.
I mean Semenov...go spelling!

Old
10-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimradnor
I mean Semenov...go spelling!

dsdsds

Old
10-13-2003, 06:19 AM
Meanashell11

I agree Semenov has to get in in place of fergie and I think MAB has to get more ice time, he was the only guy flying out there. As far as the forwards go I cannot understand why they did not take the body and once again Laracque completely disappointed me. He has to be in the game when we play vancouver especially. I BG is not going to play the role he is up here for then let him sit and lets get rita.salm around and see what a couple of hungry players can do. As for stoll I think he should be up as well but then you have to take out some guys who deserve their shot as well. Pisani seems to be the easiest decision but I think we need to guive them a bit of time before changing the lineup. At least one more game to prove they can play with intensity. 9 of the first 10 games are conference games, we can play that .500...

Old
10-13-2003, 06:37 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Something clearly needs to be done about the Comrie situation though... with a centre to play on the top two lines coming back. This is downright brutal. Smyth is not a good centreman. The only time he looked okay last night is when he was stuck along the boards.

I admire Lowe's patience in making the big deal, but he is terrible at making the small moves. He should take a page out of Burke's book as far as that goes, because there are a lot of things the Oilers could do as a temporary fix.
Agreed Lowe could get a temp fix if he traded Comrie now, but we said during the offseason that if the oilers got out to a bad start we couldn't trade comrie, because other teams would know we're desperate to unload him, and we're not even off to a bad start yet, the season has just cracked open. We really don't need to rush this; if we can get value back by trading him when it looks like we don't need him rather than a temporary fix now, Klowe should definately wait it out. Good thing it looks like that is what he's doing.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:55 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Guys like Horcoff and York can't get beat back into the zone when they are backchecking.

2 Canuck goals were scored because of a lack of huslte on the backcheck. I mean the Oilers limited the Canucks to 22 shots, and if you take those 2 plays out, then the score is 1-0 and a completely different game.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:01 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Agreed Lowe could get a temp fix if he traded Comrie now, but we said during the offseason that if the oilers got out to a bad start we couldn't trade comrie, because other teams would know we're desperate to unload him, and we're not even off to a bad start yet, the season has just cracked open. We really don't need to rush this; if we can get value back by trading him when it looks like we don't need him rather than a temporary fix now, Klowe should definately wait it out. Good thing it looks like that is what he's doing.
I'm not suggesting trading Comrie would be the temporary fix... the complete opposite. I'm saying that the Comrie situation necessitates a quick fix, so that Lowe can be patient. I'm thinking that signing Oates might be an example of this because... if Comrie isn't signed or taded, Oates is a more than adequate replacement in terms of playmaking, special team help, and draws. If Comrie is signed or traded, Oates could be a second line centre, or could be traded to a team that may need help for the playoffs.

Signing Oates does not automatically mean that he needs to stay the entire season, plus it sends a powerful message to Comrie. Aside from Oates, there are a number of other minor moves that Lowe could pull the trigger on. I mentioned Burke as being good at making minor deals, because I look at deals for Malek, Salo, Hedberg and the Arvedson and Keane signings that did not adversely affect team chemistry, and were made at the appropriate times.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:09 AM
MrMackey

Further to my last point is that I think one of KLo's weaknesses is the timing of his deals. For example, it was obvious to everyone through a prolonged slump in Dec '01 - Feb '02 that a deal needed to be made to shake things up and get the team in the playoffs.

While Burke was going through similar problems with his team, he made a trade for Linden early on, turned the teams misfortunes around and then followed through on a promise not to make a deadline deal.

Meanwhile, Carter and the team slumped through the winter, the fans were crying for Poti to be gone, and Lowe waits until the deadline to trade Poti and Brown. The team finally turns things around with a great push at the end (even though York did basically nothing when arriving), but too little too late.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:46 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Further to my last point is that I think one of KLo's weaknesses is the timing of his deals. For example, it was obvious to everyone through a prolonged slump in Dec '01 - Feb '02 that a deal needed to be made to shake things up and get the team in the playoffs.

While Burke was going through similar problems with his team, he made a trade for Linden early on, turned the teams misfortunes around and then followed through on a promise not to make a deadline deal.

Meanwhile, Carter and the team slumped through the winter, the fans were crying for Poti to be gone, and Lowe waits until the deadline to trade Poti and Brown. The team finally turns things around with a great push at the end (even though York did basically nothing when arriving), but too little too late.
Don't forget, Anson Carter was ice cold during this time, and Ryan Smyth was injured... when you are missing your two better offensive players like that, a trade for a 4th liner isn't going to help. Also, any deal probably would have involved one of the Oilers youngsters, whom I certainly wouldn't have dealt, especially with the game plan Lowe was preaching.

Why do you think lot's of trades are made at the deadline? Because the GM's look at their calendar's and say "Holy Crap, I better make a deal"? No, it's because they are working to get that extra little bit out in a deal, thinking that if they can hold off, the other GM may sweeten the pot.

Closed Thread