HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If the Rangers moved...

Old
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
boyle2boyle

vCash: 500
If the Rangers moved...

First of all, I'll start this off by saying that it is a completely hypothetical question (obviously the Rangers would never move to another city, if the title is misleading, mods, feel free to change it). I was having an interesting conversation with my dad today, who stated that if the Rangers organization moved to another city, and eventually the New York Rangers were brought back as an expansion team (think Cleveland Browns in the late 90s), would you root for this new team or the team with the players that we know and love?

I understand that this is pretty farfetched, but it's interesting to think about. My dad took the view that his allegiance would be to the "New York Rangers", to the city and the team name, and not to the players who are now with a new organization in a new city. While I tend to agree with him, I can't imagine myself rooting against the players I know and love who will be with that new team (Dubi, Cally, Lundqvist, Staal, Stepan, etc.). In particular, I feel that anyone who follows the organization and up and coming prospects might be more torn about this situation, as we invest so much time into following even the most obscure moves and transactions of the team.

If this question is too out there and ridiculous, feel free to lock it up. I just thought it was an interesting conversation and wanted to share it with you guys and get your opinions.

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Garfinkel1

Interesting. That's like when a favorite player is traded to another team... do you start watching that new team?

I think I would remain a fan of the team with cally, henrik, dubi etc.. and as/if the new new york rangers grew on me... I would start becoming a fan of them.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
First of all, I'll start this off by saying that it is a completely hypothetical question (obviously the Rangers would never move to another city, if the title is misleading, mods, feel free to change it). I was having an interesting conversation with my dad today, who stated that if the Rangers organization moved to another city, and eventually the New York Rangers were brought back as an expansion team (think Cleveland Browns in the late 90s), would you root for this new team or the team with the players that we know and love?

I understand that this is pretty farfetched, but it's interesting to think about. My dad took the view that his allegiance would be to the "New York Rangers", to the city and the team name, and not to the players who are now with a new organization in a new city. While I tend to agree with him, I can't imagine myself rooting against the players I know and love who will be with that new team (Dubi, Cally, Lundqvist, Staal, Stepan, etc.). In particular, I feel that anyone who follows the organization and up and coming prospects might be more torn about this situation, as we invest so much time into following even the most obscure moves and transactions of the team.

If this question is too out there and ridiculous, feel free to lock it up. I just thought it was an interesting conversation and wanted to share it with you guys and get your opinions.
id do what whalers, jets, and nordiques fans would all do...root for the team given back to them. in that situation...i knew someone who was a browns fan and they now hate the ravens. id dust off my jerseys throw them back on and pretend they never left

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I'd root for the old Rangers for a while and when the team's makeup began to change, I would switch to the expansion Rangers. But early on I would root for both teams.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:55 PM
3Four3

Depends where the Rangers would move to.

Could you imagine them in New Jersey? The state with a garbage can on the state flag. Historical figure being the Toxic Avenger. The state animal being the Mall Rat.

Good God!

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i'd probably just become a full time Avs fan then.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Now is the point where I would post the exact same thing in all caps this time, but I'm not sure if anybody really understands the reference...and that makes me sad.

Back on topic, anyway, I think I'd have to maintain loyalty to the team when it came back. No problem following favorite players, though...I mean people do it now. Though it would be an unmitigated tragedy

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
boyle2boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I think I would remain a fan of the team with cally, henrik, dubi etc.. and as/if the new new york rangers grew on me... I would start becoming a fan of them.
Yeah, this is basically my opinion as well. At first I'd root for all the players I know and love, but I'm sure the new team would grow on me at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Depends where the Rangers would move to.

Could you imagine them in New Jersey? The state with a garbage can on the state flag. Historical figure being the Toxic Avenger. The state animal being the Mall Rat.

Good God!
Hey, watch it! We're not thaaaaat bad (only Devils fans )

Old
04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Now is the point where I would post the exact same thing in all caps this time, but I'm not sure if anybody really understands the reference...and that makes me sad.

Back on topic, anyway, I think I'd have to maintain loyalty to the team when it came back. No problem following favorite players, though...I mean people do it now. Though it would be an unmitigated tragedy
I knew that he was bluffing! I knew that he was bluffing.

I don't think I would be able to hold it together after losing the Rangers. They mean too much to me both as a team and as part of my relationship with my father.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm 6 hours away from NYC and can only really afford to go to the games at Scotiabank. Why would I change just because the location moved? pft.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I knew that he was bluffing! I knew that he was bluffing.
Hahaha, thank you so much

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

root for both teams. wait, where are hypothetical Rangers moving to? what are they changing their names to? and how awesome/awful do their jerseys look? 3 important questions.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's like the SF Giants & LA Dodgers. Some became Mets fans, others stayed fans of the Giants & Dodgers. The same would probably happen.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
boyle2boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
root for both teams. wait, where are hypothetical Rangers moving to? what are they changing their names to? and how awesome/awful do their jerseys look? 3 important questions.
Hahaha, see i considered including that, but that would require a level of creativity that i just didn't have in me. For the sake of conversation, let's just assume they become the Nordiques

Old
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
ltrangerfan

Over time fans will root for the Jersey not the players.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Over time fans will root for the Jersey not the players.
I think as time goes on, yes, but directly after I would root for the other team with all the prospects and players we know.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
acapps10

i'd root for the team that moved

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
ogie

if its not the "new york rangers" then it is not my team. If the rangers ever moved it would probably mean the end of me being a hockey fan. like the old timers in brooklyn that have sworn off baseball ever since the dodgers left town.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I don't root for teams that move--in any sport. Period, end of story.

However, if the Rangers moved to another Arena within NYC, I would continue to root for them.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
if its not the "new york rangers" then it is not my team. If the rangers ever moved it would probably mean the end of me being a hockey fan. like the old timers in brooklyn that have sworn off baseball ever since the dodgers left town.
Not all "old timers" in Brooklyn gave up on baseball forever--some of them became die-hard Met fans (as happened with my family).

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 04-05-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:25 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Interesting. That's like when a favorite player is traded to another team... do you start watching that new team?

Agree with this, its like a fav player being moved, u hope they do well but u still develop likes for new guys. I think if your a Ranger fan u cheer for them, but as u said this would never happen so im thinking about too much.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You realize that's Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania, right?
I had no idea that existed. Just google'd it and found the interesting story on how the name came around, though.

To answer the OP: I'll cheer for the team that's playing in the city. Teams change too much from year to year anyway. There are occasionally players I really like that I will at least follow up on a bit when they move, though. I'm from NYC, but also a Sabres fan. I was a huge Drury fan when he played for them, and it was just convenient that he went to NYC. Right now I really like the Pack Line, and it'd suck if any of them moved. I think I'd still follow their progress no matter where they played.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:24 AM
GarretJoseph

I'd be so upset and bitter that I'd stop watching hockey altogether.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Are there still Stars fans in Minnesota?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Are there still Stars fans in Minnesota?
Very few, IIRC. If this team ever moved, **** 'em. Would never root for a team that deserted its fans.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote