HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eugene Melnyk

Old
04-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
Eugene Melnyk

Was on prime time sports and nailed a couple topics

1. Thought a 4 year re-build, seems like it only may be one and two years before a good Stanley Cup Contender

2. Has decided on Management

3. Very highly spoke of Murray, although knows he needs to be accountable. Said he did an astounding job trading assets (Sounds like he will be retained in the organization)

4. Couldn't nail one thing that went wrong

5. Strict rule with Murray not allowing to sign Goons, said we have had one in the org (Sounded like McGrattan, maybe Lessard)

6. Thinks Da Costa can be 2nd line center next year

7. Sounded once again like the plan is to move the Nashville pick up (Referred to using the 2nd's and then quickly retracted as Potentially )

8. WIll be in Ottawa at the end of the year ( I assume he will be holding a pressconfrence at the end of the year announcing what has been done)

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
MatthewT

thanks. No surprise with Murray, im fine with it too.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

If Melnyk is talking as a fan that's fine but if he is getting involved in hockey decisions ie.. moving draft picks, deciding on roster players etc.. then that is really bad for the organization. The owner should hire his hockey management people and then get the heck out of the way unless he's approached by the GM asking to spend more money than he has authorized or making major long term commitments.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Yeah, I don't really like how he seems to be too involved. It's pretty obvious he doesn't have the mind to suggest transactions.

Although, I'm guessing moving up the Nashville pick is Murray's idea, hopefully.

Last edited by Gil Gunderson: 04-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Flamingo

Yeah, he probably spoke out of turn about the draft picks. But I don't think he can be taken too literally about DaCosta, or about how long the rebuild will take. An owner has the right to set direction or set objectives. The cuckoo ones will burn through GM's and own a bottom-dweller for years.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Yea, I find i interesting that he's calling some shots, like not allowing Murray to sign more than one goon. I mean, he's right on that point, but I don't like the fact that he has some control over the team like that.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Yea, I find i interesting that he's calling some shots, like not allowing Murray to sign more than one goon. I mean, he's right on that point, but I don't like the fact that he has some control over the team like that.
The decision regarding signing goons is completely his jurisdiction though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I guess it is but what is his definition of what a goon is? Is Cooke a goon? What about Avery or Kaletta? Those are the kind of guys I would like see out of hockey. I'm not a fan of staged fights but I like a tough team that doesn't get pushed around. Philly & Boston both have pretty good teams & although they may have an enforcer, they don't really need one because they have a lot of guys who are tough & can drop them if need be. That's what I would like to see with Ottawa, a tough team who doesn't necessarily have an enforcer but has a few guys who will drop them when required.

I sure hope he doesn't want to build a team like Montreal who IMO are only in the playoffs because of their goalie. They are too small & too soft & have a coach who doesn't want his tougher players to drop the gloves to protect his skilled players. IMO JM embarasses his team & players when he doesn't allow them to fight back & defend themselves. He was a big reason why Ottawa could never get by the Leafs.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Some sort of marketing/moral decision?

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Freerider

He likes to pretend he knows what he's talking about.

Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:22 PM
senswon

Skill baby skill
Back to the days when we had multi 20 and 30 goal scorers

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I guess it is but what is his definition of what a goon is? Is Cooke a goon? What about Avery or Kaletta? Those are the kind of guys I would like see out of hockey. I'm not a fan of staged fights but I like a tough team that doesn't get pushed around. Philly & Boston both have pretty good teams & although they may have an enforcer, they don't really need one because they have a lot of guys who are tough & can drop them if need be. That's what I would like to see with Ottawa, a tough team who doesn't necessarily have an enforcer but has a few guys who will drop them when required.
I think the implication was guys like Cooke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Some sort of marketing/moral decision?
Well he pays these players, when they do stupid stuff it falls back on him. He was outspoken about wanting the head shot stuff solved, so it's hypocritical on him to pay someone who goes against that. It's partly on him to be apart of discouraging the goonish targeting of headshots and that's a guideline I think he has full grounds to direct his GM with.

Old
04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Suiteness

Looks like the delusion about the 1 year rebuild is alive and well. With Da Costa as the 2nd line center to boot!

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Melnyk is the man, he can do whatever the F he wants. Rather him than some teachers pension board of directors.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
BigEyedPhish

I want to see Clouston out. At the beginning of the season up till the mid point I heard that the players really did not like playing for him. His "nick name" is the Baby-faced drill sargeant for a reason. We have also seen Alfy disagree with him a couple times in the medium in regards to what he said about his player's.

Murray however, should certainly stay..

As of right now, I do not think there is anyone available that can build a team as well as Bryan can and he has started to and pretty damn quickly I might add. (He has proven that he can find the players, and has extraordinary contacts in Sweden). Since Murray has taken over I realize we hit some rough patches, but I honestly believe that (Besides the coaches) most of it lies on the team that Muckler left in Murray's hands.

What we need now is an Arcitect, and I trust Murray to do it. He hasn't let us down at the draft yet, and is there anything more important than that, right now.

Da Costa being a 2nd line center by next year seems a STRETCH, but it would be cool to see..

Also IMO it is a 50/50 chance we make the playoffs next year.. We have a good chunk of money coming off the books and young upstart prospects to pick. As well as a pretty decent goaltender (please lose!)

Last edited by BigEyedPhish: 04-05-2011 at 08:02 PM.
BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Looks like the delusion about the 1 year rebuild is alive and well. With Da Costa as the 2nd line center to boot!
With another top six foward and Karlsson, Cowen, and Rundblad on the backend, and Anderson is net it is plausable to be in the 10-7 spot this time next year.

Old
04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
With another top six foward and Karlsson, Cowen, and Rundblad on the backend, and Anderson is net it is plausable to be in the 10-7 spot this time next year.
As well as a decent sized wallet to spend.

Old
04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Maybe. But he said 'Good Stanley Cup contender' which is about as plausible as me going down on Mila Kunis before the end of night.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Maybe. But he said 'Good Stanley Cup contender' which is about as plausible as me going down on Mila Kunis before the end of night.
I think owner's work on the assumption if there team appears built to be in the playoffs for a long time they are immediately a good Cup contender. If we are on the fringe of the playoffs next year, or squeek in, appearing like a team that has tons of growth potential (which we would)...we're probably about as good as he can expect to be.

Old
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
He said serious Stanley Cup Contender in two years which is a maybe. Realistically we will probably have a top four pick (RNH, Couturier, or Strome), another top 12 (asuming we use a 2nd as a catapult for a higher Nashville pick), a very close to 1st round (2nd round picK).

That means within two years we will have some seroius Championship pieces.

Spezza as our number one center and most likely captain, Foligno is a good 3rd line winger and a championship piece

Butler, Da Costa, Greening, Condra, (Our 1st round pick from this year), (Nashville's pick we are moving up), Sivfenbaker, Petterson,Stone, Caprusso, Grant, and Smith all fighting for foward jobs.

Probably a good UFA signing or two additionally with all the cap space still avaliable

Two great puck moving defenceman with Rundblad and Karlsson hopefully just controlling the powerplay, Wiercoich I am sure will be fighting for a job at the point (I see good flickers in his game, he undoubtedly has potential), Phillips and Gonchar will be there as well.

Borokowski, Blood, and Gryba will all get a look at that point, but most likely will be B-Sens contributors.

Anderson will be our number one, hopefully Lehner is getting AHL treatment still (Bernier style).

And we will still have a whole whack of prospects in the system, we have placed ourselves in a great position. We will probably have 10 prospects in the system from this years draft alone.

I don't want to sound over-zealous or overrate our prospects but maybe in three years if the stars allign we are looking kinda like last years Blackhawk team, incredible depth across the board.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
He said serious Stanley Cup Contender in two years which is a maybe. Realistically we will probably have a top four pick (RNH, Couturier, or Strome), another top 12 (asuming we use a 2nd as a catapult for a higher Nashville pick), a very close to 1st round (2nd round picK).

That means within two years we will have some seroius Championship pieces.

Spezza as our number one center and most likely captain, Foligno is a good 3rd line winger and a championship piece

Butler, Da Costa, Greening, Condra, (Our 1st round pick from this year), (Nashville's pick we are moving up), Sivfenbaker, Petterson,Stone, Caprusso, Grant, and Smith all fighting for foward jobs.

Probably a good UFA signing or two additionally with all the cap space still avaliable

Two great puck moving defenceman with Rundblad and Karlsson hopefully just controlling the powerplay, Wiercoich I am sure will be fighting for a job at the point (I see good flickers in his game, he undoubtedly has potential), Phillips and Gonchar will be there as well.

Borokowski, Blood, and Gryba will all get a look at that point, but most likely will be B-Sens contributors.

Anderson will be our number one, hopefully Lehner is getting AHL treatment still (Bernier style).

And we will still have a whole whack of prospects in the system, we have placed ourselves in a great position. We will probably have 10 prospects in the system from this years draft alone.

I don't want to sound over-zealous or overrate our prospects but maybe in three years if the stars allign we are looking kinda like last years Blackhawk team, incredible depth across the board.
Dont forget Cowen!

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Dont forget Cowen!
You see looking great across the board, hopefully we can get slightly more defensive depth by drafting a defenceman with our 2nd round pick.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Melnyk is the man, he can do whatever the F he wants. Rather him than some teachers pension board of directors.
Totally. It would still be o.k. if he were some bombastic cane-swinging, cigar-smoking, top hat-tipping egomaniac. But he's not. He's a proud owner and an enthusiastic fan.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Totally. It would still be o.k. if he were some bombastic cane-swinging, cigar-smoking, top hat-tipping egomaniac. But he's not. He's a proud owner and an enthusiastic fan.
The former would be pretty badass though.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
BigEyedPhish

I am sorry, but who the hell is sivfenbaker