HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto FC 2013 Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
mrCoffea*

vCash: 500
This is what I don't get about TFC

It's one of the most financially successful clubs in the MLS
The team sells out or is close to selling out every game
The team only has one designated player, leaving the option open to have 2 more if necessary
Clearly they are starving for a playoff appearance after all these years to appease the fans that have been supporting them

Given that they have an extra slot for a designated player, give that Dwayne DeRosario wasn't happy with his contract and was a hometown boy, given that he scored 50% of their goals last season.....WHY THE **** DID THEY TRADE HIM?

Why not just give him a better contract and make him a designated player....it makes no sense

Old
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
AndMat*

Dont get it 2. Camy left camp because he wanyed more money left to negoc* a new contract

Old
04-06-2011, 03:58 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post

The team only has one designated player, leaving the option open to have 2 more if necessary
Clearly they are starving for a playoff appearance after all these years to appease the fans that have been supporting them

Given that they have an extra slot for a designated player, give that Dwayne DeRosario wasn't happy with his contract and was a hometown boy, given that he scored 50% of their goals last season.....WHY THE **** DID THEY TRADE HIM?

Why not just give him a better contract and make him a designated player....it makes no sense
Well, you have not even tried to understand the context.

Despite the team's off the field success in attracting fans, they have been pretty disappointing on the field. The previous General Manager failed to bring in personnel (players and coaches) who could get the job done, despite many tries. The organization parted ways with Mo Johnston and brought in Jurgen Klinsmann as a consultant to find a management group that could create a longterm successful team.

The new management they chose, under Aron Winter, wants to play a completely different kind of soccer that emphasizes specific skill at every position and control of the ball. They plan to build by finding players who can fit into this system and by bringing players up through their Academy learning how to play this style.

The situation involving De Rosario has more to do with promises made by previous regimes. For Aron Winter, this is just a distraction from what he is trying to implement. It would be silly to spend DP money on a guy who does not fit into their longterm plans and furthermore is creating a distraction from the team.

My guess is, when Winter came in, he told these players (De Rosario, Cann, Attakora) who are looking for more money, that they will not be committing to raising salaries or extensions until they have a year to observe whether they feel these players fit into their plans. De Rosario could not live with this and asked for a trade, to which Winter obliged.

Does this answer your question?

Old
04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
mrCoffea*

It answers my question on the DeRosario situation, and it also answers the question of wether TFC will make the playoffs this year

Old
04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:

How can anybody respect you when you cave as soon as a player makes demands? I am so happy he is gone for several reasons and I will post them after I find a post I made a while back.

Dero would not make or break us making the playoffs.

Here are things he has done while with TFC that have bothered me.

1) Grass versus artificial turf (Questioning why Real Madrid gets grass and wanting all Canada games in Montreal - A joke considering 90% of the stadium were Honduras fans in World Cup qualifying.)
2) Coaches - Rumour that he keeps getting coaches fired.
3) Canadian versus American players - One of the leaders of the tension between Canadian and American players a few years back.
4) Salary - He complains about his salary after signing a 4 year deal last year. Ridiculous. He had the nerve to do it when we are in a fight for a playoff spot too.
5) Goal celebration - Has to do his dumb dance before his teammates can celebrate with him.
6) Leadership - He is the captain of a team that keeps missing the playoffs and collapsing down the stretch.

Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 04-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
How can anybody espect you when you gave as soon as a player makes demands? I am so happy he is gone for several reasons and I will them after I find a post I made a while back.

Dero would not make or break us making the playoffs.

Here are things he has done while with TFC that have bothered me.

1) Grass versus artificial turf (Questioning why Real Madrid gets grass and wanting all Canada games in Montreal - A joke considering 90% of the stadium were Honduras fans in World Cup qualifying.)
2) Coaches - Rumour that he keeps getting coaches fired.
3) Canadian versus American players - One of the leaders of the tension between Canadian and American players a few years back.
4) Salary - He complains about his salary after signing a 4 year deal last year. Ridiculous. He had the nerve to do it when we are in a fight for a playoff spot too.
5) Goal celebration - Has to do his dumb dance before his teammates can celebrate with him.
6) Leadership - He is the captain of a team that keeps missing the playoffs and collapsing down the stretch.
Yeah, but can you REALLY argue with 50% of the team's goals. Who is going to pick up the slack? That's an astronomical figure for one single player

Also, I sort of agree with him with point #1, Canada's games shouldn't be on artificial turf, but duty should be split between Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver once they all have their MLS stadiums ready. It's a valid point to not want to play International games on artificial turf, but didn't they add grass at BMO field?

Old
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Yeah, but can you REALLY argue with 50% of the team's goals. Who is going to pick up the slack? That's an astronomical figure for one single player

Also, I sort of agree with him with point #1, Canada's games shouldn't be on artificial turf, but duty should be split between Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver once they all have their MLS stadiums ready. It's a valid point to not want to play International games on artificial turf, but didn't they add grass at BMO field?
I wrote that a long time ago but yes BMO has grass now.

The point is you should want more of your own fans in the crowd than the opponent and I think Russia or somebody else plays their games on fieldturf.

People use the same argument about the Leafs. We were going nowhere with DERO and need to develop players if we ever want to be a good team. If he scores 15 goals again, we still would have missed the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:

Yes you can argue with 50% of the teams goals. The club is bigger than the player and allowing that type of culture is far worse than worrying about replacing talent.

The reason I was excited about Aron Winter is the same reason I was excited about Burke. They bring with them a certain level of respect and expectations that will transform their club. There presence will pay long term benefits even if they don't achieve short term gain.

TFC needed a culture shock, big time. If we don't want to have a Mickey Mouse club, this is where you start

Old
04-06-2011, 07:14 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:

They had no trouble generating scoring chances in their one games since.

They scored a goal, had a bogus offside call negate another and missed an absolutely open net that would have been a goal 99% of the time.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
They had no trouble generating scoring chances in their one games since.

They scored a goal, had a bogus offside call negate another and missed an absolutely open net that would have been a goal 99% of the time.
The style of football that Winter is teaching this squad will bring constant offensive pressure. The issue will be the back 4 but I think that is more of a personnel issue. They are getting decent play from their wingers and have acquired some talented young mids.

I believe their success will hinge on how fast the players can adapt to the new system.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
NeverGoingToWin

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/...canada_warmup/

Canada will be playing a friendly against Ecuador at BMO Field on June 1. I am going to the game in Detroit so I do not think I will go to this game too. Hopefully a good crowd will go and support the team so they feel good going into the game against the US. Confidence will be important in my opinion so we will need a good result in this game.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
AndMat*

Anyone know how the champions league works for us? i know we face edmontion twice. dosent show ottawa or mtrl or vancover. if we beat edm does 2 times do we quailfy? how does the ncc work this year?

Old
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Home and Away

TFC versus Edmonton
Montreal versus Vancouver

Winners play each other for Canada's berth in the Champions League in another home and away.

Old
04-09-2011, 11:21 PM
abnormal

No stream for this game?
Checked almost everywhere, nobody seems to have it.
NO Bet365 sorry.

Anyone with any luck? No GOLTV Canada over here either.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Sizemore24*

http://fr.justin.tv/cholillo_830#/w/1063694944/3

Old
04-10-2011, 12:24 AM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

Way to alienate your fans and potential viewers by putting the next 13 games on GOLTV. Meanwhile, Vancouver has all their games on Sportsnet or TSN, I believe.

It's not that I can't pay $3/month for GOLTV, it's that they're missing out on a lot of potential viewers who might tune in while surfing channels or would watch if they didn't have to pay to do so.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Way to alienate your fans and potential viewers by putting the next 13 games on GOLTV. Meanwhile, Vancouver has all their games on Sportsnet or TSN, I believe.

It's not that I can't pay $3/month for GOLTV, it's that they're missing out on a lot of potential viewers who might tune in while surfing channels or would watch if they didn't have to pay to do so.
Yeah, its a complete scam. How do you build a fanbase when a large portion of your games arent on TV? This kind of thing is just short sighted. While you might nickel & dime people now & make a few extra bucks. I think in the bigger picture you lose out.

Anyways thanks to the stream. I watched the game tonight & it was a good result against San Jose. Anytime TFC can get a point on the road it a plus.

Old
04-10-2011, 12:46 AM
JohnnyO

I missed the game, can someone give a recap?

Old
04-10-2011, 12:47 AM
abnormal

Thanks for the link Sizemore.

Another game with a very average result. Gordon with another goal though. Could he be what we hope Barrett would be? If Gordon can be this consistent all year, may have something there.
Front 3 of Gordon, Santos, Martina, when clicking, could be potent.

As for the GOL TV argument, guy above me is on the money! This isn't about the people who go out of their way to follow the team, this is for people that happen to watch the game. Guaranteed, the only way someone HAPPENS to watch these TFC games on GOL TV is at a bar or at a friends, either way, not generally channel surfing.

How Vancouver comes in and gets dibs on TV deals, I do not know, but they certainly are getting painted in a much more positive light, and they literally JUST came into the league.

Aww well. Big week for TFC, let's go boys.

Old
04-10-2011, 01:20 AM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnormal View Post
How Vancouver comes in and gets dibs on TV deals, I do not know, but they certainly are getting painted in a much more positive light, and they literally JUST came into the league.
I'm not exactly sure what the situation was, but I don't think TFC was forced to resort to GOLTV. I think they envisioned the revenue from broadcasting themselves on their own channel in GOLTV would be greater than the amount they'd get letting Sportsnet or CBC broadcast them? I don't know for sure.

I'm not going to argue that Sportsnet did a good job of broadcasting, because it was rather garbage at times. But CBC did a decent job and it's national and it's FAR more widely watched and widely available than a specialty GOLTV channel.

I've said it before, MLSE gets away with having LeafsTV with a crappy product on the ice (and that too, LeafsTV isn't used for 13 straight games ), but it won't fly with TFC. Not this quick.

Last edited by TMLeafer: 04-10-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Incorrect about HD service on Bell.
Old
04-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Sizemore24*

I was looking forward to watch both Caps and Toronto game...but Toronto being on GOLTV is horrendous, I might check the rsult and watch a stream if I got the time.

Old
04-10-2011, 08:14 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

I think my favourite part about TFC is that it gives people another reason to trash MLSE...

I understand it with the Leafs. So many longtime Leafs fans can't be happy with the way things have gone, but at the same time, they aren;t about to give up cherring for their team.

With TFC, if you don't want to cheer for the soccer team, no one is forcing you to. There are tons of other teams in other leagues to cheer for if you want. But, people just want to talk about politics and almost never actual soccer games.

Anyway, I watched the first half yesterday and they didn't look half bad. Stevanovic was the focal point, with spirited play up the left side. In terms of pure talent, he is one of the best we have. He has his flaws to, but he looks like he is getting more and more comfortable.

He created the goal, though it was not a pretty one, you need those goals on the road. The defense let them down on the equalizer. But, they maintained the road draw. In the past, they have given that point away pretty consistently.

On the down side, Martina hardly saw the ball on the right side. I would like to see them switch it up a little more.

Gordon was solid again. Not overly skilled, but he is not soft. He wins the ball and can score the ugly goals. This team will need that.

No one else really stood out for me in the first half. The draw on the road is good to see. Too often, we have let those points slip away in the past.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
I think my favourite part about TFC is that it gives people another reason to trash MLSE...

I understand it with the Leafs. So many longtime Leafs fans can't be happy with the way things have gone, but at the same time, they aren;t about to give up cherring for their team.

With TFC, if you don't want to cheer for the soccer team, no one is forcing you to. There are tons of other teams in other leagues to cheer for if you want. But, people just want to talk about politics and almost never actual soccer games.

Anyway, I watched the first half yesterday and they didn't look half bad. Stevanovic was the focal point, with spirited play up the left side. In terms of pure talent, he is one of the best we have. He has his flaws to, but he looks like he is getting more and more comfortable.

He created the goal, though it was not a pretty one, you need those goals on the road. The defense let them down on the equalizer. But, they maintained the road draw. In the past, they have given that point away pretty consistently.

On the down side, Martina hardly saw the ball on the right side. I would like to see them switch it up a little more.

Gordon was solid again. Not overly skilled, but he is not soft. He wins the ball and can score the ugly goals. This team will need that.

No one else really stood out for me in the first half. The draw on the road is good to see. Too often, we have let those points slip away in the past.
Draws on the road are vital. Man U is going to take the Premier League on the back of early season draws. Lets just hope they go in the direction of winning rather than losing as the season goes on

Old
04-10-2011, 02:21 PM
TMLeafer
Komarov the Gaul

I'm not going to stop cheering for TFC. Just a little frustrated about the way they're running some aspects of the team.

I agree about Gordon. Seems like we haven't had a guy like him, doing hard work in "the dirty areas" (to use a hockey term) in a while.

Stefanovic looks like Bryzgalov. Holy.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:41 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Some people on TSN said De Guzman played well. What do you guys thinks?

Closed Thread