HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Darche

View Poll Results: Re-Sign Mathieu Darche?
Yes 150 86.71%
No 23 13.29%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
How can you put a limit on expectations and call anyone who thinks he can repeat a liar. Then go on to say that you could be wrong.

can't have it both ways. Just like you try to have it all year, you enjoy Darche's contributions and then crap on him and put limits on him and speak as though your insight is right.(you have been wrong about this guy all year)

Darche has gotten better every game ever since he joined this organization. In Hamilton he excelled and then he has been a great team guy and a sparkplug on whatever line he is put on. Often on lines that are struggling. He Makes others work harder and try harder and skate harder.

He will be re-signed wether you like it or not. And that goes for all those who's crap on this guy constantly.
When do I crap on him?
I ''crapped'' on him earlier because I'd rather have used any spare money to get reinforcement for our top 6, and you know what, given how our top 6 have performed, I still feel the exact same way. Doesn't mean I think he's a bad player. I do feel as though he has no business playing on the top lines however but he's been helping us more than I ever thought he would.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I said I would call CoolasprICE a liar (or anybody else actually) if he told me he expected (before THIS season) Darche to score at a 18G/year rate. If that's the expectation level you want to put on him, then suit yourself. That's not what I expect.

As I said, he's been serviceable. I won't cry if he's not re-signed, I won't jump in joy if he is. There are other more important issues to deal with.
Pouliot, AK, MaxPac, White, Pyatt, DD all need to be re-signed. Then there's our D corps that we will hopefully improve and make younger.
Darche will have some power of negotiations for the first time in his career, I have a hard time believing he will pass up on it. We will see what happens, as I stated before, I don't really care. I have no objection to him re-signing here, but not at any cost.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:50 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

He's doing his job, and to resign him would be cheap. He's local and its always good to have continuity on your team. No brainer.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:31 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
When do I crap on him?
I ''crapped'' on him earlier because I'd rather have used any spare money to get reinforcement for our top 6, and you know what, given how our top 6 have performed, I still feel the exact same way. Doesn't mean I think he's a bad player. I do feel as though he has no business playing on the top lines however but he's been helping us more than I ever thought he would.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. I said I would call CoolasprICE a liar (or anybody else actually) if he told me he expected (before THIS season) Darche to score at a 18G/year rate. If that's the expectation level you want to put on him, then suit yourself. That's not what I expect.

As I said, he's been serviceable. I won't cry if he's not re-signed, I won't jump in joy if he is. There are other more important issues to deal with.
Pouliot, AK, MaxPac, White, Pyatt, DD all need to be re-signed. Then there's our D corps that we will hopefully improve and make younger.
Darche will have some power of negotiations for the first time in his career, I have a hard time believing he will pass up on it. We will see what happens, as I stated before, I don't really care. I have no objection to him re-signing here, but not at any cost.
Why you would even think to 'crap' on a guy making 500k is beyond me. If 500k is an issue, the issue is really not the 500k, but the guys making 10 times or more than him.

Of course, nobody thought he would pace 18 - but many of us had more trust in his contribution than say, others.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Mr. Hab

Darche (love his attitude...love how he goes to the net and talks about it too during interviews...how the team needs to get dirtier...get more garbage goals and also need to go to the net, pure and simple).

Sign Darche year by year (34yrs young).

1 more year at $600 000 or $700 000 (he's making $500 000 this year).

Bottom 6 (next year):
Darche, Moen, Pouliot?, Pyatt, White, Eller, __?__ , __?__

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:45 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
at the current salary how could you not
wouldnt give him much more if anything
he knows his role and plays it well

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:51 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

He's a keeper! He needs to retire a hab and given a job in the organization. Future coach in my opinion!!!!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:21 AM
andy28

Quote:
When do I crap on him?
I ''crapped'' on him earlier because I'd rather have used any spare money to get reinforcement for our top 6, and you know what, given how our top 6 have performed, I still feel the exact same way..
Darche only costs 500 thousand. 12 goals, 12 assists. About 60 games. I am not saying he will do that next year. But for his salary, if he does half of that, I will be happy. He plays hard, goes to the net. His great attitude is contagious. I know he is not a top six player and that we need more skill, but a guy like Darche isn't holding us back money-wise.

He has as many goals as Pouliot and almost as many points.

Last edited by andy28: 04-04-2011 at 07:28 AM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't know if he would go for only a 100K raise....I said a $1m per year because of that but if he could be signed for less of course that is even better. In the end the payroll won't be screwed because of him that is for sure.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
One year, 500k, not more.
That's what he is making this year, I wouldn't mind him getting a raise to the 750 000, guys plays hard every shift and deserves that raise. Moen makes 1.5 and we don't notice him that much out there compared to Darche

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:06 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's what he is making this year, I wouldn't mind him getting a raise to the 750 000, guys plays hard every shift and deserves that raise. Moen makes 1.5 and we don't notice him that much out there compared to Darche
Exactly, heck even a small raise to $600K like some are suggesting is not enough. In order to keep a player and also keep him happy you have to be fair. Look at what Meon and what other 12 goal scorers are making around the league. Especially if you add the other intangibles that Darche brings.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Moen was exactly my point of comparison. Darche is doing way more than Moen. He deserves a nice raise for his play.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Exactly, heck even a small raise to $600K like some are suggesting is not enough. In order to keep a player and also keep him happy you have to be fair. Look at what Meon and what other 12 goal scorers are making around the league. Especially if you add the other intangibles that Darche brings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Moen was exactly my point of comparison. Darche is doing way more than Moen. He deserves a nice raise for his play.
Exactly. Also Halpern who IMO won't be back next year signed for 600 000 this year, I'm sure Darche and his agent are aware and will ask for a little raise and a player like Darche who pays the price and works hard for that little increase would be stupid IMO not to bring back. I'm sure Gauthier will get something done in the 2 years and make Mathieu happy

Old
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Why you would even think to 'crap' on a guy making 500k is beyond me. If 500k is an issue, the issue is really not the 500k, but the guys making 10 times or more than him.

Of course, nobody thought he would pace 18 - but many of us had more trust in his contribution than say, others.
I DON'T crap on the guy. There's a difference between Do and Did. My criticism came early in the season, when Pouliot was moved down and Darche up, for a few games before Martin created the PHD line. I had no interest in seeing pluggers on the top 6 yet again.

The guys making 10 times more were already signed. Whining about that would be pointless as they weren't free agents.
I never said his cap hit was holding us back, I said I'd rather have signed an aging vet that could help the top 6, like Nolan.
With hindsight, would Nolan have produced more with us than Darche? Who knows. The only thing I can say is that Darche is having a great year while Nolan is in Zurich.

As for next year, again, it depends on his demands.

Quote:
Why would he settle for 750K if he compares himself to a 1.5M Moen?

Old
04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Why would he settle for 750K if he compares himself to a 1.5M Moen?
He can compare himself to Moen not sure the Habs will agree + he would be getting a raise from the 500 000 and like I said maybe offer him 2 years instead of the usual 1 to make him happy

Old
04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
well since Darche has more goals then gomez maybe he should be paid more then gomez

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
He can compare himself to Moen not sure the Habs will agree + he would be getting a raise from the 500 000 and like I said maybe offer him 2 years instead of the usual 1 to make him happy
I just feel like he'll be shooting for the 1M mark.

Old
04-04-2011, 09:43 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
I just feel like he'll be shooting for the 1M mark.
and if he struggles he'll be much more likely to be back in the AHL if he asks for too much.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
I seriously can't believe what some people are saying about Mathieu Darche!!! I see the votes are in favour to keep him 142-26 or whatever they are, maybe I should have read past the first page i don't know.

But, for those saying don't re-sign Mathieu Darche?? Are you kidding me? Complete Work Horse, 6'2 225lbs, crashes the net ...

If I'm Gauthier, I re-sign him without any second thoughts! He isn't a 4th liner, he's a very good 3rd liner.

12g 12a in for 24 pts in 56 games. Very good!

Darche

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post
Darche has pleasantly surprised...He has scored timely goals, help with young player development, demonstrated hard work pays off, has hockey smarts and is well liked.

He's a third or fourth liner much like Moen & Halpern....In order to improve our team we need to upgrade certain players...and that includes all four lines...

So looking at the third & fourth line vets....the questions is which of the 3-Darche, Moen & Halpern would you keep?....I would should choose Darche...cheap salary, timely production, smart player, helps develop the young ...and get 2 upgrade vets for those lines.
One thing I really liked about him also was in his "Nos Canadiens" video he mentioned that he tells the young guys to never take the NHL or Habs for granted, that he was a 2 way contract player for like 10 years before the habs gave him a 1 way deal. He seems like the type of guy who is a great influence on young players and keeps their expectations realistic. He contributes. He's actually partially the player we all wanted Lapierre to become. I'd be willing to re-sign him 1-2 years at a time.

I see him as our version of MacArthur in that we'll likely be trying to sign him at 1 year cheap in order to see if he can prove he can keep this up for another season first, then after that if he succeeds I could see him getting the raise + 2-3 season deal. (Same thing Burke is trying to do with MacArthur rather than giving him 3 years at like 4 million)

Difference is Darche is no MacArthur and his raise won't be nearly as detrimental to our team as MacArthur's raise would be if he faulted.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Mr. Hab

I'm sold!! (on 2 year contract instead of 1, after reading more recent posts...).

2 year contract...especially if he keeps it up in the playoffs.
1st: $750 000
2nd: $650 000

<Solid 3rd liner.
<Solid 4th liner.
<Good replacement in case of any injury to a top 6 winger.
Great team player, great attitude, willing to do what Latendresse never wanted to...

Darche is perfect for Gionta and Gomez, imo, at least for now.
He's paired with two very FAST skaters (makes up for ok speed of Darche). Gionta is super fast...Gomez always loves to skate fast towards the offensive zone, stop and pass... Darche is always moving, going to corners, going to the net... good trio while it's working.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-05-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Habaddict

The thing about giving Darche a 2 year deal ,is that
if the team improves, he is one of those players that can
sit in the press box and not become a problem. Just
practicing well, and being ready in case of an injury.Guys
who can fit in that role,are valuable on stronger teams.
We just need to sign him for a realistic price. Maybe
650 - 700 for 2 years is fair.I wouldn't like to see more than
800 as this guy could again be the 13th forward.
Anyway,players like Darche help make a team, into
a TEAM.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Miller Time

before the injury, I'd probably have gone with no... but the way he's played since coming back, that kind of commitment/dedication/professionalism is EXACTLY what you want out of a bottom-6 role player (you want it out of all your players, of course, but even more so from guys who don't have the flat out skill or flat out physical talent).

he loves playing for montreal, so you can count on his attitude/effort to stay constant, and he's probably more than willing to take less than he might get offered elsewhere (not that there would be a bidding war for him) so there's no worry of having to pay him a premium bottom-6 salary.

good guy to have in the locker room and on the ice, showing the young players what kind of commitment is needed to get the best of your abilities.... with guys like this, it's probably pretty obvious in practice how much less pure "skill" and "talent" he has, but when he gets into the game and contributes effectively, it sends a message that will sink in much deeper than anything a coach could say.

I'd reward him with a 2 year deal, maybe try out a 3rd line of Pouliot-DD-Darche for next season...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote