HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan Out Indefinitely - Broken Ankle

Old
04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I don't even think the Rangers are in the top 10 in man games lost to injury this season.

They've not had it as rough as ESPN continually states (e.g., "Injury-riddled Rangers....").

That said, Callihan is the Rangers in my opinion. He should be their next captain for a multitude of reasons. Other than Lundqvist, there's not a more important player on that team that they can ill-afford to lose.
That stat had shocked me but it's not because the Rangers have been healthy or anything, just because the league as a whole has gotten injured especially with the new concussion epidemic. The Rangers have dealt with Dubinsky, Callahan, Gaborik, Biron, Frolov, Christensen, Boogaard, Drury, Fedotenko, and Prospal all being out of the lineup for significant periods of time. It's safe to say that that's an "injury riddled" team.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I think it's a little unrealistic to expect him to return.

I the best of circumstances, a fracture with no bone out of place, that requires no sugery, and with minmal ligament damage, is going to be in a cast for 6 weeks.

That's 6 weeks before you can even begin therapy to prepare you to start to skate again. So lets say, 7-8 weeks from now, he starts skating, that's June, or at best Memorial Day weekend.

He'll be nowhere near game-shape. You can't do much cardio on one leg.

Torts said it: He's done.

It's terrible luck for a guy who really gives his heart and soul for this team every night. You think we're disappointed? Cally must be devastated.

Team has got to push on without him as best they can. Secure the playoff spot and keep trying to win games.

This is a real test.
Cast could be off in two weeks, get on the exercise bike to help get rid of the atrophy that occurs in the muscles. It all depends on the severity.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
EJS280

Quote:

I the best of circumstances, a fracture with no bone out of place, that requires no sugery, and with minmal ligament damage, is going to be in a cast for 6 weeks.

That's 6 weeks before you can even begin therapy to prepare you to start to skate again. So lets say, 7-8 weeks from now, he starts skating, that's June, or at best Memorial Day weekend.

Torts said it: He's done.

It's terrible luck for a guy who really gives his heart and soul for this team every night. You think we're disappointed? Cally must be devastated.

Team has got to push on without him as best they can. Secure the playoff spot and keep trying to win games.

This is a real test.
This is not really that true. I have broken my tibia and fibula straight through, just below the knee, and after having it rebroken and reset it was about 4 weeks before I got the cast off and could begin walking with a brace.

Now, I really doubt he broke the tibia clean through or at all and the fibula can heal in 2 weeks relatively easily if were talking a non displaced fracture, especially considering the technology professional athletes have available to them.

Obviously we have no clue what he did break, but if it is only a minor fracture of the tibula, and we are playing in a month, I would not be surprised to see Callahan playing.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS280 View Post
Now, I really doubt he broke the tibia clean through or at all and the fibula can heal in 2 weeks relatively easily if were talking a non displaced fracture, especially considering the technology professional athletes have available to them.
I broke my fibula last year on February 5th, it was set the 9th, I was back on the ice March 1st. It's all about location/severity.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
EJS280

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I broke my fibula last year on February 5th, it was set the 9th, I was back on the ice March 1st. It's all about location/severity.
Exactly. I don't want to speculate, but I find it unlikely for the tibia to be broken, and the fibula really does very little in supporting the leg. A broken fibula can be walked on. If it is just the fibula and its nothing major, he could be rehabing within 2 weeks.

Who knows though, could be much worse than I think.

EJS280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

With our extremely limited information, this is likely the truest assessment.

Horrible.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS280 View Post
Exactly. I don't want to speculate, but I find it unlikely for the tibia to be broken, and the fibula really does very little in supporting the leg. A broken fibula can be walked on. If it is just the fibula and its nothing major, he could be rehabing within 2 weeks.

Who knows though, could be much worse than I think.
The fibula is on the outside of the leg, Callahan took the shot on the outside of the leg. Deductive reasoning says it's the fibula which only supports 15% of the weight.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
dynamoovechkin

Devastating. Cally is the glue that binds this team together. We may not miss his offense as much as his work ethic and heart and soul on the ice. He is just the embodiment of what this team represents, and now he's on the shelf. The hockey gods are a cruel mistress my friends...

As far as Chara goes, that dude's a menace. They should enact some legislation- get the guy out of the league. He's like Paul freakin' Bunyan, get him outta here.

Get well soon Cally.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
broadwayblue

time to cally up.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm not sure if it was posted yet or not, but, what was our record with Cally out of the lineup this season? Just curious.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm not sure if it was posted yet or not, but, what was our record with Cally out of the lineup this season? Just curious.
if i remember correctly it was 10-7 or something like that

Old
04-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
It was stated before, i cant remember who said it but it was 11-7-2.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
clmetsfan

Nice sentiments from Chara today. Cally is really respected around the league.

Quote:
"Callahan is a top-six guy yet he still plays with so much heart and grit. You don’t see many guys that throw their bodies around to block shots like that,” Chara told reporters in Boston. “He plays the game so hard. You have to respect a guy like that. I heard after the game that he’d probably broken a bone, so I just hope that he’s okay long term.”

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Nice sentiments from Chara today. Cally is really respected around the league.
Translated: None of the top guys on my team would block shots like him, I hope he can play next season because I don't want him to beat us in the playoffs.

Old
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Thanks guys.

So our record without him is not great.

Its going to be tough to win in the playoffs without him in the lineup.

As usual, everyone is going to have to really elevate their game.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
broadwayblue

indeed

Old
04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

New York Rangers Playoff Push 11: Rally For Cally!

I was sooo bummed when I heard this news today. Cally's been my favorite player since he came up for good back in 06-07 and to see him get the A and probably the C has been special.

If they do make the dance, it won't feel right without him, but that being said;

Drury gotta take care of his PK work and help ot with the faceoffs, Avery needs to grind,shoot consistently, and create energy, Wolski needs to remain consistent, Christensen can't be invisible, and guys like Dubi, Artie, and the Boyle line needa just keep doing.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Oh, man. I didn't get to see the game till this morning and I didn't get to check the web for news until just now. What a terrible turn of events. I didn't think this team was going to go far in the playoffs as it is, but now...ugh. How unfortunate for this club. Losing your best player a week before the playoffs. Really, really sucks.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
chip chipperson*

pacioretty gets demolished by chara and within 6 hours we knew how badly he was injured. no body even knows for sure if cally has a fracture or a break, or if he could return at some point late in the post season. lack of info is annoying

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
tha shape

with callahan there's a chance we could make it to round 2 and maybe lose the series 4-2. now....hm...im thinkin game 7 loss to washington in the first round after having a 3-2 lead. balls.

tha shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Absolute class from Chara, but what a heart breaking loss this is. If the Rangers can hang on, and Cally could come back, that could inject a crazy kind of energy into this team.

I fear what will happen if Cally can't return though.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
The fibula is on the outside of the leg, Callahan took the shot on the outside of the leg. Deductive reasoning says it's the fibula which only supports 15% of the weight.
Yes, but we are all looking at this like a fracture that occurs from stress on the bone until it cracks, which is the kind of thing that happens when a skate gets stuck in a rut while taking a body check.

This was the result of a shot, which could mean the bone was actually shattered, which means he may have fragments and other complications, and the break itself may not be all that clean.

I'm sure it's no problem long term and he'll be fine over the summer, but I think we have to face the fact that he wont be skating in the playoffs.

04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

I hope it is not that bad and he is able to return if we make a run

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
pacioretty gets demolished by chara and within 6 hours we knew how badly he was injured. no body even knows for sure if cally has a fracture or a break, or if he could return at some point late in the post season. lack of info is annoying
Not exactly comparable situations. Pacioretty broke his neck and was taken off on a stretcher. Callahan broke his leg and still came out for the post-game salute.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:21 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Not exactly comparable situations. Pacioretty broke his neck and was taken off on a stretcher. Callahan broke his leg and still came out for the post-game salute.
its still a bad job by the sports media. is it a fracture or break? is it the leg foot or ankle? can he come back if we go deep? only info they released is he is out and no surgery.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote