HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jaques Martin: Coaching discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
  #326
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I have nothing against the rest of your posts except for all the generalizations you make. You keep saying "you Habs fans think you deserve it all" and calling Habs fans the most "demanding and selfish fans in the league" as if other fanbases don't want the exact same thing as them.
I stand by that comment, I dont see another fan base take winning or their entitlement to this extreme. Go look around at the other boards here for example, and see if they match our melodrama. Of course people want their team to win, I sure as hell do as well. But I am not going to start bashing players or coaches on the team because things arent up to my personal standards.

Quote:
You also take shots at a whole population of French people saying that they feel like they "are entitled to everything in the world" and add the "no offence" to that? Really? I'm a pure Anglophone from the West-Island but if I were French I would find that offending how you base your perceptions of an entire population due to subjective stereotypes you've built up for yourself. It's very immature to almost insult a race of people and then when they complain about your criticism and insults you call them "sensitive".
You think this is an original sentiment? Canadians in political spheres have been saying something along those lines for decades on end. You dont have to look much further than equalization payments, the treatment socially Quebec recieves in comparison to other provinces, disproportiante funding to population, and the general appeasing Quebec gets from our country to sense this.

Quote:
I'm done my rant for the day. Sorry if I seem angry, I just get so fed up of generalizations and stereotypes sometimes although I'm sure you didn't mean it that way if you're moving INTO this hellhole
Peace and love hombre
You should see some of my posts if you want to see `angry sounding posts or rants` then, haha, no worries. Sure, it may be insulting, but its my opinion, and of course its a generalization. I have met fantastic and laid back Quebecois multiple times in my life, and like I said, am moving to Montreal. I have nothing against French people, but that doesnt mean I cant voice something that I read and see through many mediums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
don't worry , he's young , he'll learn you can't take shots at group of people saying ''no offense'' , either you take shots and surf your wave or you just keep it to yourself.
I am not that young, and I fail to see where I didnt `ride` this perverbial wave. I dont keep things to myself, if you havent noticed throughout the time I have been here. Yeah I am blunt, but I dont really give a ****, I say what I think and see.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:27 PM
  #327
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Funny thing is when people to point to that amazing game 6 by Halak, I should tell them to watch the first period. In the 1st, we played one of the most flawless periods of hockey I have ever seen, perfect defense, great breakouts and good chances for. We put Halak in a position to win every game, and he pulled through for us, its a two way street.
No it's a one way street. And you're a homer if you believe otherwise.

What's really funny is that Habs fans then think they're the best and most knowledgeable...

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:41 PM
  #328
Rutabaga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Country: France
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That is the most absurd and backward thinking that I have ever seen on a sports message board.

So if Montreal had Stamkos playing for us, Martin should bench him? So should Skinner be glued to the Hurricanes bench as well?

Wow.

The only way a young player can develop into a great player is to get ice time and work through the mistakes and failings that a young player will make. To bench them for every mistake that they make is to take away their self-confidence.

Pouliot is a great example. He is a goal scorer with a great shot who performed well when he was getting 15+ minutes per game. But once he entered the Martin doghouse, his game has collapsed. He is so tense and uptight that he cannot perform to his talent level. Why???? Because he is so scared to make a mistake that will bench him that he ends up making mistakes.

Pressure to perform is needed. Relentless and overbearing pressure on any player will cause them to wilt. They may be professionals but they are also human as well.
First of all, you have to consider that the situation is very different.
Here, everyone is expecting a lot from the team. Carolina, Tampa, its not the same environment, the pressure is absolutely not the same.
Martin is consistently bashed while he's having solid results, if you start to give the young players more icetime, its sure that the results are not as good, and therefore, the bashing is even more bigger...

-Stamkos was a 1st overall pick, and he played in a 30th overall team. Yet, he was almost traded later...patience is important, but expectations, also.

-Skinner, a Calder-candidate for sure, is currently 7th in TOI, 8th in Shifts per game for forwards in Carolina, a team sitting in 19th overall while being the less injured team in the entire league (i think so). Different expectations, different roster, but still, its not that simple to give a rookie the right amount of icetime without any problem.
Here, in the case of an average team, a really average one, he is producing because he's good, and because he makes good use of his icetime. A positive cercle. Yet, Maurice gives more icetime to Sutter or Stillman.

There is not only one way to help a young player to improve.
Eller doesnt want to go to the AHL, Pacioretty did.
Some are learning from their mistakes, others have to be punished because of it.

The point is to understand why your coach is doing it, anyway.
Pouliot disappeared last year into playoffs.
This year, every time he was asked to step up into a top-6 role, he was not living up to the expectations.
He's still taking dumb penalties too often. And he is not the most important player is his line, its Desharnais. Desharnais, a rookie.

Desharnais did make mistakes, he did not have a lot of icetime in January. But you know what, he kept going, and forced the hand of Martin.
Just like Subban, who was benched.

They work even harder after being punished, they tried to avoid their past mistakes. Whereas Pouliot..have the potential to be a 25-goal guy, but i dont think he's giving 100%...

With several rookies in the lineup, you have to work harder than your teammates to have more icetime. And you cant play everyone.
They all went through difficult times...if Pouliot is the only one who cant get out of it, its because of him, and not because of the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You must be watching different games than I am if you think Gomez is defensively responsible. He needs to put up points to be of any value to this team because his defensive play just doesn't cut it.

Of course, he doesn't get benched after 4 minutes of ice time for his constant defensive gaffes. Instead he is given MORE ice time to work out his problems... at the expense of having younger players develop. That isn't Gomez's fault... it's Martin's.
Well, i'll say that he is supposed to be defensively responsible. At least thats how Sather said he was.

Its just that you really need to have a solid Gomez to be dangerous for the playoffs. If it means less icetime for other players, its not because of them, its also because Gomez is playing alongside good players...but you have to do it.
Unless you take the risk to put Gomez (who is definitely an important player in the locker plus being the highest-paid guy, a lof of potential issues there) as a 4th line center, and cross your fingers that Eller or Desharnais can miraculously become a reliable 2nd line center within few weeks.

I hope that next season, we could work on a 3rd line able to eat Gomez's icetime if he doesnt improve until then, though.

About last year's playoffs, we are still "relying" on our goalie to perform, whereas the name of the goalie changed.
If you're changing a piece and the result of the operation doesnt change, thats supposed to mean that this particular piece is not the main factor of that performance...

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:00 PM
  #329
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,009
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I am not that young, and I fail to see where I didnt `ride` this perverbial wave. I dont keep things to myself, if you havent noticed throughout the time I have been here. Yeah I am blunt, but I dont really give a ****, I say what I think and see.
You're blunt and you don't give a **** on an internet forum maybe , but if you plan on living in Montreal and voice your very flattering opinion about the quebec nation I sure hope you're staying in West Island and not in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.You take your opinions in newspapers and then come here and put massive stereotypes on 6 million heads in one post.I learned not to drown myself riding waves about things I don't know.


Last edited by Jafar: 03-31-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
  #330
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
You're blunt and you don't give a **** on an internet forum maybe , but if you plan on living in Montreal and voice your very flattering opinion about the quebec nation I sure hope you're staying in West Island and not in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.
yea seriously, Hochelaga has quite the educated population to discuss such a subject.


LAWL

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
  #331
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,009
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
yea seriously, Hochelaga has quite the educated population to discuss such a subject.


LAWL
And yet another stereotype.

Hochelaga is not what it was and there's people of all sort living there , yes, even educated people.It was just an example anyway , I could have said Rosemont or Montréal-Est.

Get off your high horse.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
  #332
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
yea seriously, Hochelaga has quite the educated population to discuss such a subject.


LAWL
shows you're too talking about something you dont know.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
  #333
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
shows you're too talking about something you dont know.
Yea, poverty brings high level of education and low drop out rates, haven't you read the new studies?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
And yet another stereotype.

Hochelaga is not what it was and there's people of all sort living there , yes, even educated people.It was just an example anyway , I could have said Rosemont or Montréal-Est.

Get off your high horse.

wiki: The average family income in Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is $49,804, considerably below the Montreal average ($62 409). The average individual makes $23,479. Nearly 32.9% of the borough's population is considered low-income, and there are worrying patches of poverty scattered throughout the borough and heavily concentrated in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve district.

ill stop here, people are WAY to sensitive about a certain subjet, i just wanted a giggle, since basically ReenMachine was indirectly suggesting budhasmoka to go get a beating in HOCH for his knowledge on that certain subject.


Last edited by uiCk: 03-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.
uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
  #334
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I have nothing against the rest of your posts except for all the generalizations you make. You keep saying "you Habs fans think you deserve it all" and calling Habs fans the most "demanding and selfish fans in the league" as if other fanbases don't want the exact same thing as them. Not only that, but I find generalizing a fanbase as large as the Habs', arguably the largest in the league, just makes no sense at all. It has its proportionate share of crazy-to-savvy fans as every other fanbase. I don't know how many times people have to repeat the old "we have the same amount of crazy fans as everyone else, we just have a larger fanbase which means there are more of them than other fanbases" line...

You also take shots at a whole population of French people saying that they feel like they "are entitled to everything in the world" and add the "no offence" to that? Really? I'm a pure Anglophone from the West-Island but if I were French I would find that offending how you base your perceptions of an entire population due to subjective stereotypes you've built up for yourself. It's very immature to almost insult a race of people and then when they complain about your criticism and insults you call them "sensitive".


I'm done my rant for the day. Sorry if I seem angry, I just get so fed up of generalizations and stereotypes sometimes although I'm sure you didn't mean it that way if you're moving INTO this hellhole
Peace and love hombre
I don't disagree in the slightest about the "no offense" stuff, but if anyone is going to try and argue that at least a decent amount of Francophones don't have an entitlement issue, no offense but that would just be a bold faced lie.

I'm not going to sit here and say there aren't other cultures that are the same, but his point is a valid one despite being harsh/mean. A lot of people here even anglophones have entitlement issues. It's the nature of the beast that is Quebec, we're different and as a result it makes us special

**** you tarrana.

EDIT: Just wanted to edit to say he makes a good point to. It's his opinion and he isn't going to hold back cause a bunch of crybabies might cry. Frankly what he's saying isn't untrue, but his generalizations don't need to be made. This obviously isn't the case for a lot of Quebecers I know anyways. Fact is though, I've met just about as many who it's true about.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 03:28 PM
  #335
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,009
vCash: 50
I thought every occidant citizens had entitlement issues?

I guess it's just the quebecois...

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
  #336
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Well, i'll say that he is supposed to be defensively responsible. At least thats how Sather said he was.

Its just that you really need to have a solid Gomez to be dangerous for the playoffs. If it means less icetime for other players, its not because of them, its also because Gomez is playing alongside good players...but you have to do it.

Unless you take the risk to put Gomez (who is definitely an important player in the locker plus being the highest-paid guy, a lof of potential issues there) as a 4th line center, and cross your fingers that Eller or Desharnais can miraculously become a reliable 2nd line center within few weeks.

I hope that next season, we could work on a 3rd line able to eat Gomez's icetime if he doesnt improve until then, though.

About last year's playoffs, we are still "relying" on our goalie to perform, whereas the name of the goalie changed.
Sounds logical to me

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
  #337
Darch
Registered User
 
Darch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No it's a one way street. And you're a homer if you believe otherwise.

What's really funny is that Habs fans then think they're the best and most knowledgeable...
Actually he's right. A big reason Halak has such success was the way the Habs were playing defense in front of him. Very few 2nd chances are key!

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:48 PM
  #338
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
Anyway, JM still sucks and is part of the problem not the solutiuon.

The fact that he has not been able to get the top players going all season is reason enough to establish this fact.

I don't think that it would hurt to replace him with Muller now. We can't do much worse. Plus it gives us a chance to see what Muller can do before the summer when we can take more time to fill the job if Muller doesn't work out.

Most of you say that the season is a wash anyway with all the injuries so why not try to see if Muller(who we have been grooming) has what it takes? We already lost our best option in Boucher last offseason.

One thing is for sure, JM wont be up for the Jack Adams this year. LOL

Boucher is though...


Last edited by Toro: 03-31-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:14 PM
  #339
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,009
vCash: 50
Unfortuanetly , Muller has been the 'assistant nice guy' for too long and for too many habs players to make the transition successfully in our franchise imo.I would give him a try for sure if it wasn't with Montreal.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:49 PM
  #340
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Yea, poverty brings high level of education and low drop out rates, haven't you read the new studies?





wiki: The average family income in Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is $49,804, considerably below the Montreal average ($62 409). The average individual makes $23,479. Nearly 32.9% of the borough's population is considered low-income, and there are worrying patches of poverty scattered throughout the borough and heavily concentrated in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve district.

ill stop here, people are WAY to sensitive about a certain subjet, i just wanted a giggle, since basically ReenMachine was indirectly suggesting budhasmoka to go get a beating in HOCH for his knowledge on that certain subject.
yeah studies, did they tell you also how much the area is changing ? or they're 06-07 studies ?

nevermind, that's all you know about HoMa (wiki) anyway.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
  #341
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
What a decision to send out Cammy and AK on the PP and not Plekanec or even Gomez.

Not sure if Pleks was struggling in the circle but Cammy won the faceoff, allowed us to set up and AK had a sick pass to PK for the goal.

Nice move JOCK

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
  #342
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
What a decision to send out Cammy and AK on the PP and not Plekanec or even Gomez.

Not sure if Pleks was struggling in the circle but Cammy won the faceoff, allowed us to set up and AK had a sick pass to PK for the goal.

Nice move JOCK
599 wins has an NHL Head coach he is pretty damn near an awesome milestone.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
  #343
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
599 wins has an NHL Head coach he is pretty damn near an awesome milestone.
It would be nice for him to get 600 vs the Sens.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
  #344
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
This thread lacks some "Fire Martin!"


Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
  #345
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,593
vCash: 500
I feel all warm and fuzzy because we made the playoffs again.

However, I was screaming at my TV tonight because we were once again playing a very passive game.

The Hawks were able to skate into our zone with little or no resistance all night long. We were too busy sagging back. Compare that with the play of the Hawks who forced us to dump the puck in with their more aggressive defense.

And speaking of passive, only once or twice did we send in two guys on the forecheck. And when we did, we forced a turnover or two. The rest of the game we sent out a single guy to just make a half hearted effort at a forecheck. And then their was no one in the neutral zone. Our guys were hanging out by our blue line and retreating as the puck carrier advanced.

That is a recipe for disaster in the playoffs.

Our team has played great when we are more aggressive. We were aggressive the first part of March and had success. Now it is back to passive hockey.

This is why Martin drives me crazy. We could be soooo much better playing an aggressive style of hockey. Yet he wont allow it.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
  #346
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
This thread lacks some "Fire Martin!"

I think Montreal deserves better.

How's that?

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
  #347
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
This thread lacks some "Fire Martin!"

There would be lots of action in this thread had we failed to score on that PP.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
  #348
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
This thread lacks some "Fire Martin!"

He should be fired if he can't realize that we always play well when we bring it to the other team instead of sitting back!

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:33 PM
  #349
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
If getting out shot at home and giving up 43 shots on goal is a sign of good coaching, then I was wrong and Martin is a genius.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
  #350
The Russian General
Força Portugal
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 11,638
vCash: 500
Not to be a dick but can a mod edit and write Jacques' name properly?

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.