HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
02-06-2011, 09:03 AM
slitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Situation View Post

As you guys may know, Philly is quite famous for cheesesteaks.
LOL "as you guys may know"... no we had no idea

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:31 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Situation View Post
I'm a bruins fan from Massachusetts who has relatives in Philadelphia. Next weekend I'm heading down there to spend the weekend with family I havent seen in 2 years.

As you guys may know, Philly is quite famous for cheesesteaks. There are many cheesesteak joints in Philly, but the 2 most famous places are the 2 located directly across the street from each other, Geno's and Pat's

For those who live in philly and have eaten there, can you recommend which one is better. "Better" can be broken down into sub-categories like service, food quality, how long are the lines, cleanliness etc.

So I ask which one, Pats or Genos, do you guys recommend and why.

Thanks
Neither. The best cheesesteak in philadelphia is Tony Lukes on Oregon avenue. Take it from someone who's lived here their whole life. Genos and Pats are just the figurehead of the cheesesteak.

Is Mcdonalds the best cheeseburger you've ever had?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Pats is the better of the two. The people that run it are much nicer too.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Neither. The best cheesesteak in philadelphia is Tony Lukes on Oregon avenue. Take it from someone who's lived here their whole life. Genos and Pats are just the figurehead of the cheesesteak.

Is Mcdonalds the best cheeseburger you've ever had?
The discussion of the best cheesesteak in Philly has been going on for years and there's no clearcut "best". However, I personally wouldn't put Tony Luke's anywhere on my list of top cheesesteak places. I've been there a number of times and it has never lived up to the hype. Besides a true cheesesteak maker would NEVER freeze his sandwiches and try to sell them nationwide.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Tony Luke's are average. My personal favorite is Dalessandro's in Roxbourgh.

Old
02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Tony Luke's are average. My personal favorite is Dalessandro's in Roxbourgh.
Dalessandros is very good, I ventured over there this past summer. Maybe it's personal preference, or maybe a comfort thing, but Tony lukes are the best to me, and I've tried damn near every worth while sandwich in the city.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 08:38 AM
flountown

Mama's Pizzeria off Belmont is the best cheese steak in Philly. It's not a Whiz steak, but the meat and bread is the best...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
daynus

hypothetical

so if a person was in philly pending next years flyers home sched, at the same time as the MLB NL Championship series between the phillies and whomever, how much would that person expect to pay for tix for a game, and wheres the best place to obtain said ticket,scalper? i would have to get tix fast like, coming in from the great white north.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:28 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Dalessandros is very good, I ventured over there this past summer. Maybe it's personal preference, or maybe a comfort thing, but Tony lukes are the best to me, and I've tried damn near every worth while sandwich in the city.
I'm a little bias, I live a few blocks away. Barry's are good too, also nearby on Ridge. I think Barry used to be a cook at Dalessandros or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Mama's Pizzeria off Belmont is the best cheese steak in Philly. It's not a Whiz steak, but the meat and bread is the best...
I've drive by there alot, its almost into Manayunk been meaning to try it out but have never gotten around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
so if a person was in philly pending next years flyers home sched, at the same time as the MLB NL Championship series between the phillies and whomever, how much would that person expect to pay for tix for a game, and wheres the best place to obtain said ticket,scalper? i would have to get tix fast like, coming in from the great white north.
If you talking about the Flyers then tickets then they will be very cheap. If its the Phillies it will be ridiculously expensive. They've almost sold out the entire season already.

Old
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
daynus

cool thanx phish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I'm a little bias, I live a few blocks away. Barry's are good too, also nearby on Ridge. I think Barry used to be a cook at Dalessandros or something.

I've drive by there alot, its almost into Manayunk been meaning to try it out but have never gotten around to it.

If you talking about the Flyers then tickets then they will be very cheap. If its the Phillies it will be ridiculously expensive. They've almost sold out the entire season already.
yah i checked out stubhub, a decent seat for flyers game,lower level is very reasonable. under $100 for a really good seat. in Vancouver and Calgary, that would get you a nose bleed seat.hopefully i can see the eagles instead, for 3X price of flyers tix.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Hey guys, how does parking work around the Wells Fargo Center for Flyer games? I may or may not try to pick up tickets for the Bruins game at the end of the month depending on what the going price on stubhub is.

I've driven into the Sports Complex for a Phillies game last year and one of the McCartney concerts in August, and I think it was something like $10-$15 each time, and went to one of the Villanova games there last season and it was free.

When the Flyers play, what do they charge? Is it less for the CBP or Linc lots compared to the Wells Fargo one? I don't mind walking a little. Taking the R5 in and switching onto the subway is a pain and I'd rather just drive.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Hey guys.. My gf is a Flyers fan and I'd like to know if there are any viewing parties for upcoming Flyers games? We've been to a few this season for the Devils, so I'd like to take her to a Flyers one so she can celebrate with her fans too.. If there aren't, can you recommend a good bar near central/south jersey for catching a game?

Thanks!

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Hey guys, how does parking work around the Wells Fargo Center for Flyer games? I may or may not try to pick up tickets for the Bruins game at the end of the month depending on what the going price on stubhub is.

I've driven into the Sports Complex for a Phillies game last year and one of the McCartney concerts in August, and I think it was something like $10-$15 each time, and went to one of the Villanova games there last season and it was free.

When the Flyers play, what do they charge? Is it less for the CBP or Linc lots compared to the Wells Fargo one? I don't mind walking a little. Taking the R5 in and switching onto the subway is a pain and I'd rather just drive.
I'm not sure about CPB, but the Linc charges $15. There is a lot on the other side of the Linc down Darien Street that charges $5 when it's just the Flyers playing, and then you can walk behind the Linc and under I-95. It actually is a shorter walk, and traffic usually isn't too bad getting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Hey guys.. My gf is a Flyers fan and I'd like to know if there are any viewing parties for upcoming Flyers games? We've been to a few this season for the Devils, so I'd like to take her to a Flyers one so she can celebrate with her fans too.. If there aren't, can you recommend a good bar near central/south jersey for catching a game?

Thanks!
Best bet is Chickie's and Pete's, which may be at 15th and Pattison?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Awesome.. Thanks and the place looks pretty cool.. I'm hoping to take her Sunday for the Rangers game so that way I can root for her team too

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:30 PM
tuckerdomi

I am coming to Philly

Hey Flyers fans, Leaf fan here

I am coming down for the first round of playoffs with a few buddies from Toronto. We want to check it out and see if its as fun as everyone says. few questions I hope you can answer.

Do you guys have a tailgate? if so is it big? need passes?

Also whats the best place to stay near the rink? and best Flyers bar?

Thanks guys.

Good Luck, this could be your year.

tuckerdomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:59 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

hide yo wife, hide yo kids!

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdomi View Post
Hey Flyers fans, Leaf fan here

I am coming down for the first round of playoffs with a few buddies from Toronto. We want to check it out and see if its as fun as everyone says. few questions I hope you can answer.

Do you guys have a tailgate? if so is it big? need passes?

Also whats the best place to stay near the rink? and best Flyers bar?

Thanks guys.

Good Luck, this could be your year.
Might be wasting your money the way they're playing

They have pre-game block parties, not sure how big tailgating is before Flyers games, def not as big as before Eagles and Phillies though.

As for bars, Chickie & Pete's was nuts last year during the Finals. Chickie's is kind of the popular place to be in the Delaware Valley though, so its bound to be packed. I'm sure others may have better suggestions, but as for atmosphere Chickie's is solid. (we went to the one next to the Stadiums, that could have helped)

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
flountown

I plan on tailgating the games if it is nice out. There is a pre-game block party, but all that is is a ruse to get you into the stadium buying 7 dollar beers as quickly as possible.

If the weather is bad, I highly suggest the Chickie's and Pete's idea, as you get a free ride to the game. If you are looking for non-Flyers stuff, do yourself a favor and do the Philly Taco, go to Jim's Steaks on South St, then walk a few blocks to Lorenzo's, and wrap the Lorenzo's slice around the Jim's steak.

If you run out of contacts, shoot me a PM before the games and I will let you know if my friend and I are tailgating, I am sure we can combine forces and it's always fun to share beverages and stories with people from other countries...

Old
04-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I plan on tailgating the games if it is nice out. There is a pre-game block party, but all that is is a ruse to get you into the stadium buying 7 dollar beers as quickly as possible.

If the weather is bad, I highly suggest the Chickie's and Pete's idea, as you get a free ride to the game. If you are looking for non-Flyers stuff, do yourself a favor and do the Philly Taco, go to Jim's Steaks on South St, then walk a few blocks to Lorenzo's, and wrap the Lorenzo's slice around the Jim's steak.

If you run out of contacts, shoot me a PM before the games and I will let you know if my friend and I are tailgating, I am sure we can combine forces and it's always fun to share beverages and stories with people from other countries...
This sounds like a good time, might have to make the trip from canada myself.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I'd stay in Toronto and go to Real Sports Bar or whatever every night haha. I went up there for the Flyers/Leafs game recently and had an absolute blast.

As for tailgating, that really doesn't happen for Flyers playoffs, and from what I remember the block parties are awful. But the atmosphere is absolutely unmatchable.

My personal favorite sports bar is Miller's Ale House in the Northeast, much better than Chickie's with a more manageable crowd. Chickie's does have the giant tv's, but you're bound to have some awful service during the games, and expect to be annoyed with Phillies fans trying to take all of the tvs.

Flountown, we disagree on food haha I hate Jim's and Lorenzo's. I'd just go to Tony Luke's man, come on you know they're the best.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
SilkyMitts

there are plenty of people drinking in the parking lot - especially if the weather is nice.

Definitely check out Chickies and Petes. Its right next to the stadiums and they run a shuttle to and from them. Its huge, theres good food, and good location.

There are plenty of good sports bars in the city, but why go to one in northeast or wherever when you could go to one near the sports complex? do chickies or mcfaddens at the phillies park across the street.
mcfaddens is fun if there's a phillies game that day, plus there's always hot girls there.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
flountown

I have to agree with the McFadden's attractive girl sentiment, I think you have to be a 9 or above to get hired.

Not saying Jim's has the best steaks, but it is in the perfect location to execute the Philly Taco. But I will say, I do love Lorenzo's pizza by itself, best value meal in Philly.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
there are plenty of people drinking in the parking lot - especially if the weather is nice.

Definitely check out Chickies and Petes. Its right next to the stadiums and they run a shuttle to and from them. Its huge, theres good food, and good location.

There are plenty of good sports bars in the city, but why go to one in northeast or wherever when you could go to one near the sports complex? do chickies or mcfaddens at the phillies park across the street.
mcfaddens is fun if there's a phillies game that day, plus there's always hot girls there.
I was just stating my personal favorite. I mean when I went to Toronto, we weren't close to Real, but it was a worthwhile venture. Just throwing it out there man, hell I was at Chickie's two nights ago haha.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I was just stating my personal favorite. I mean when I went to Toronto, we weren't close to Real, but it was a worthwhile venture. Just throwing it out there man, hell I was at Chickie's two nights ago haha.
no worries, i was just recommending staying near the complex so they dont get lost/be late for the game etc.

last time i went to chickies for an afternoon game, they seated us in the arcade side of the bar. surrounded by 12 year old girls playing wii. it sucked.
i have no clue if its like that for a night game though.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
no worries, i was just recommending staying near the complex so they dont get lost/be late for the game etc.

last time i went to chickies for an afternoon game, they seated us in the arcade side of the bar. surrounded by 12 year old girls playing wii. it sucked.
i have no clue if its like that for a night game though.
Game 6 SCF they stuck us in Play next to a group playing Mario Kart. During the freakin' SCF!!

For nights it's not bad, but if they start getting crowded they try to get you to leave if you're not drinking.