HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan Out Indefinitely - Broken Ankle

Old
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
This was the result of a shot, which could mean the bone was actually shattered, which means he may have fragments and other complications, and the break itself may not be all that clean.
That would have required surgery and the Rangers said no surgery. There is reason to be optimistic.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Thanks guys.

So our record without him is not great.

Its going to be tough to win in the playoffs without him in the lineup.

As usual, everyone is going to have to really elevate their game.
True, but atleast we are 4 games above .500

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:38 PM
rangersfan111

People underestimate the NYR depth. Callahan is a stud and you can't replace a player like that. But the Rangers have many players that can play top 6 minutes and be effective. Zuccarello plays well alongside Dubinsky, and Dubinsky can generate offense on his own. Wolski and prospal are both top 6 players and are centremen are all healthy and are playing great hockey. If Gaborik gets going and Lundqvist continues to impress they are going to make a run.

p.s. 11-7-2 without Callahan. This team is still good without him.

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:53 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
this team responds better to adversity far better than any other post-lockout roster we've had.

It's clear that Gaborik needs to step his game up and be the guy we pay him to be. Prospal needs to stay hot, Drury needs to come back and give us SOMETHING, and guys like Avery and Christensen are going to need to pitch in a little in the playoffs. Dubi, AA, Wolski, etc. will probably maintain their level of production. Not sure if that's enough or not.

We're also discounting just how good our defense has been. Staal-Girardi are one of the best pairings int he league, going up against the best players in the league down the stretch, giving up their body and still playing 30+ mins a night. McD-Sauer has been a solid 2nd pairing. I wish I could say Eminger-McCabe was better, but they've even stepped up their play, and I've noticed McCabe has improved his play in his own end so maybe they can eat more minutes in the playoffs.

Last edited by RangerFan10: 04-05-2011 at 11:59 PM.
RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Is Boogard OFTY?

I wouldn't mind having him around if people start ramming Henrik.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Boogard has no place in that lineup....what a waste of a signing that was. As for cally, the only guy to replace him is drury. Drury is just as effective on the pk and will help us in faceoffs. Drury obviously wont fill the void in the offensive zone, but he does have playoff experience and has a lot to prove to all us fans talking alot of s^it about him. Im optimistic in dru, and i think zuccs should be called back up as well, better him then gilroy on the wing, but lets see was gilly does thursday.

As for the injury itself, A FRACTURE IS A BREAK, its the same thing. Its clearly a good sign that surgery is not needed and there is no ligament damage. Zipay said the usual recovery time is 6 weeks. Constant everyday platelet therapy and hypoberic chamber is extremely necessary, for the next 2 weeks, and if were eliminated, he can just stop that and resume regular rehab. 6 weeks from yesterday (tuesday) will be approx game 3 of the east conf finals....if were there, maybe he could be back. But there is no timetable and no information at this time, and its probably best to keep it that way to avoid expectations and setbacks.

Get Well #24.

ps. playoffs start a week from today

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Its a shame callahan got hurt right before the playoffs. Is there any recent updates on Drury? I feel his game is the closest to Callahan's and could be a good replacement if he's healthy.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Pizza

The Rangers are going to keep their collective mouths shut on this which is a good move. No reason to tip a hand, good or bad.

And never underestimate Cally...never. He just might surprise us all if we can stay afloat long enough.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:03 AM
dynamoovechkin

Paging a Mr Marian Gaborik, White courtesy telephone...

Wouldn't it be great if we somehow won a round and Cally came back, Willis Reed style, late in a series to inspire the troops? How cool would that be?

One can dream.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:21 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Worst case scenario. Get well soon Ryan and to the rest of the team --> DO IT 4 CALLY !

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Rangers44*

Callahan and a few other key forwards should be forbidden to block shots especially from the likes of Chara. I rather take a goal against than lose a key player for 20 games.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
I know it sucks he's out for the rest of the season, but if you think about it, is it really that big of a deal? We can still make the playoffs if he's out. The #1 reason I want the Rangers to make the playoffs, is so the younger players get playoff experience. That's it. If we somehow go far in the playoffs, that would be nice, but their playoff experience is my #1 concern. Now that he's out, it will give other players more ice time. Callahan is a great player and I think he'll be able to fit right back in next season in the playoffs, so it's not like he will be missing out on getting playoff experience for himself.

04-06-2011, 07:14 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Is there a time frame that he may be back this season, or is he pretty much done until next season, regardless of how far the Rangers went in the playoffs?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
this team responds better to adversity far better than any other post-lockout roster we've had.

It's clear that Gaborik needs to step his game up and be the guy we pay him to be. Prospal needs to stay hot, Drury needs to come back and give us SOMETHING, and guys like Avery and Christensen are going to need to pitch in a little in the playoffs. Dubi, AA, Wolski, etc. will probably maintain their level of production. Not sure if that's enough or not.

We're also discounting just how good our defense has been. Staal-Girardi are one of the best pairings int he league, going up against the best players in the league down the stretch, giving up their body and still playing 30+ mins a night. McD-Sauer has been a solid 2nd pairing. I wish I could say Eminger-McCabe was better, but they've even stepped up their play, and I've noticed McCabe has improved his play in his own end so maybe they can eat more minutes in the playoffs.
Great post. Even with the injury to Cally this team has the talent and depth compete. Gaborik and Hank have to play like stars in the playoffs and some of the players can step up also such as Stepan, Wolski and etc.

As mentioned in the above post, on defense, this team will have no issues. Very talented defense.

Injuries happen in the NHL and playoffs as I am sure no team is 100% healthy in the playoffs and are missing key players also.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Great post. Even with the injury to Cally this team has the talent and depth compete. Gaborik and Hank have to play like stars in the playoffs and some of the players can step up also such as Stepan, Wolski and etc.

As mentioned in the above post, on defense, this team will have no issues. Very talented defense.

Injuries happen in the NHL and playoffs as I am sure no team is 100% healthy in the playoffs and are missing key players also.
To compete for what exactly? The Cup? No, sorry. They didnt have the talent or depth to do that WITH Callahan - now its really not even worth dreaming about.

If by compete you mean the ability to stay in games in the 1st and possibly the 2nd round, then yea, maybe I'd agree.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:57 AM
chosen

Quote:
Kings lost Kopitar last week, which is a far bigger loss. Pitt still doesn't have Malkin and may or may not have Crosby. There are other examples.

You play with who ya got and hope for the best. Losers whine. If they can win with Callahan, they can win without him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:

This team has depth of 30 and 40 point players. The Cup contenders have depth of PPG players and 30 goal scorers..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:13 AM
ohbaby

Cally will be missed, he is the heart and soul of this team. That said, it might be a blessing in disguise. This team plays even harder when facing this kind of adversity. Who would have thought early in the season, the Rangers would play well without Gabby.

Cally is an inspiration, a model of what it means to be a NYR. And I can guarantee every player who puts on a blueshirt from here on in, will wear his heart and soul on his sleeve. Everyone will step up! Everyone give up their body for the team,... cause that's what Cally would do, cause that's what it means to be a NYR. You watch,.... they will take no prisoners.

They can pick off players one at a time, but they will not shake this teams identity.

Last edited by ohbaby: 04-06-2011 at 09:33 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

In a twisted way, I want to be angry with Chara..but the reality is that it was simply a hockey play. I think it's just the typical desire to want a focal point for anger and/or frustration.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Is there a time frame that he may be back this season, or is he pretty much done until next season, regardless of how far the Rangers went in the playoffs?
probably looking at 6-8 weeks...we'll most likely have to make it to the conference finals or finals before his return is even on the radar. so its possible we'll see him again this year but not likely

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:16 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
In a twisted way, I want to be angry with Chara..but the reality is that it was simply a hockey play. I think it's just the typical desire to want a focal point for anger and/or frustration.
Bum bum bum baaadum, bum bum bum baaadum, bum bum bum baaadum, BUM BUM BUM

CHA-RA SUCKS

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
To compete for what exactly? The Cup? No, sorry. They didnt have the talent or depth to do that WITH Callahan - now its really not even worth dreaming about.

If by compete you mean the ability to stay in games in the 1st and possibly the 2nd round, then yea, maybe I'd agree.
I do believe this team can compete and make a serious run at the cup if Gaborik and Hank play like stars in the playoffs. This team has depth and talent. Who knows who will step up and play great in the playoffs. Heck a guy like Wolski can all of a sudden step up and play like Claude Lemieux in the playoffs..

I think Cally is a valuable player to this team (no doubt) but it seems he is being looked at like he is the 2nd coming of Mark Messier circa 1994 for the Rangers.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I do believe this team can compete and make a serious run at the cup if Gaborik and Hank play like stars in the playoffs. This team has depth and talent. Who knows who will step up and play great in the playoffs. Heck a guy like Wolski can all of a sudden step up and play like Claude Lemieux in the playoffs..
And what makes you think Gaborik is going to play like a star in the playoffs when he can't even dominate in the regular season unless he's playing one of the worst teams in the league?

If you're banking on Wolski to become Claude Lemieux (which is a silly suggestion on numerous levels), then I think that shows just how little chance we have of even sniffing the Conference Finals, much less the Cup.

Will we be a tough out in the first round? Probably. Maybe not. Will we make it to the second round? It's unlikely, but possible. Will we go any further? I'm tempted to just flat out say no.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Again, any team in the playoffs can potentially win the cup any given year, as a matter of statistics and probability.

The Rangers chances may be slight, but that isn't going to stop me yelling myself hoarse at the TV set trying to get them there all through the fight.

This team needs playoff experience, more than that this team needs to prove to itself that is can achieve success in the 2nd season. We don't want to go into next year with all sort of expectations on (maybe) a Richards boosted team and not have seen the playoffs in 3 years.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJS280 View Post
Exactly. I don't want to speculate, but I find it unlikely for the tibia to be broken, and the fibula really does very little in supporting the leg. A broken fibula can be walked on. If it is just the fibula and its nothing major, he could be rehabing within 2 weeks.

Who knows though, could be much worse than I think.
You are spot on. Doubt he broke his tibia. He wouldn't have been able to come out for the salute if he had. He likely broke the fibula based on where he got hit. He also likely broke it just above the bump that makes up the ankle. If he is in a walking boot it's a good sign that a. it's not displaced and b. relatively small. Based on what has come out, he doesn't need surgery which also indicates clean break and no ligament/tendon injury.

The thing with a fracture in this area is that if it doesn't set right it can make him more susceptible to stress fractures and lead to instability and because of this you don't want to rush it.

I've had multiple fractures in my fibula in the last 3 years and know all too well the damage that an incorrectly set bone can cause.

It's probably safe to say that they don't really know what is going on because of swelling and because of this the timetable for him returning is unknown.

I wish him all the best. He is a great player and you can tell he loves the game and his team and the fans. He's one of those guys who truly stands for what the organization is about. He is your version of a guy like Patrice Bergeron.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote