HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Lines 4/5

Old
04-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Line combinations are irrelevant.

Here is a quick article I wrote today. I will just post the whole thing here so you don't have to click on the link.

Quote:
A week before season’s end is no time to learn new tricks. The cliché if you haven’t figured it out by now, you’re ********* applies in many circumstances and the end of the regular season & one win away from clinching the playoff spot is one of them. The LA Kings, coming off a humbling butt kicking in San Jose last night 6-1, have to answer a simple question. Do they trust the system? If the answer is no, there is no sense in playing another game. From goaltender through the defense and forwards might as well commit a symbolic seppuku and resurrect next season. If the answer is in the affirmative, then only a lack of work ethic can equate failure.

Dustin Brown isn’t going to suddenly become an incredible stick handler that can pick the corners.

Michael Handzus isn’t going to become 5 years younger. Neither will Ryan Smyth.

Drew Doughty isn’t going to only bring great and leave the occasional mind-boggling poor play at the door.

Jack Johnson isn’t going to suddenly turn into an offensive juggernaut.

Trevor Lewis isn’t going to overnight develop an amazing set of hands.

Kevin Westgarth isn’t going to become anything other than a pugilist and potential liability.

Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier will not only let in the unstoppable shots.

Our team comes with strengths and weaknesses. Each member of this team brings a palpable and intangible value on and off the ice. They are assembled to play a tight checking, physical game that focuses on suffocating opponents in the defensive zone, creating offense through the opposing team’s turnovers and taxing opposing defenses with constant shots on goal and traffic in front of the net. Solid goaltending makes us very difficult to beat when we are hitting on all other 19 cylinders. Each and every single aspect of our system is based on the premise that the players will give 100% effort 100% of the time. While the system comes with faults, some glaring, it is what we have and all we have to rely on because the synergy and the whole becoming more important than its parts (hence minimizing the impact from the loss of top players) is the only controllable factor in a W verses L.

Last night, the boys were outworked in every aspect of the game.

Tomorrow night, the LA Kings better not be because another loss is tempting fate and fate, like a woman, should never be tempted or teased. GO KINGS!

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Why is Murray so reluctant to move Zeus down to the 4th line? And what did Lewis do to deserve a demotion? Lewis played 3 games or so as the 2nd line center and did very well I thought.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Why is Murray so reluctant to move Zeus down to the 4th line? And what did Lewis do to deserve a demotion? Lewis played 3 games or so as the 2nd line center and did very well I thought.
Murray loves veterans. Always has.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Murray loves veterans. Always has.
Well, I think that's more true of Andy Murray not so much Terry.

Terry's given Simmonds, DD, Clifford, A-Mart, Moller, Lewis etc quality minutes at a very young age.

Put Zeus and Poni on the 4th line. These guys won't be with the team next year anyways

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:28 PM
no name

Uh oh. I kind of like Quick starting so he excersizes that demon. Those line combos are icky.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:17 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
4/05

Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Penner-Handzus-Moller
Ponikarovsky-Lewis-Westgarth

I don't know what to say. The Penner line just doesn't work.

Yotes are a fast team, Harrold should be in.

Quick will start tomorrow.
My take on the heap:

Penner-Stoll-Brown
Smyth-Lewis-Moller
Poni-Handzus-Harrold

Bernier In

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I know he's the forgotten one around here (for good reason - not sure how hip surgery for a 20-something turns into a 5 month ordeal, but I digress)... Scott Parse would be a welcome addition right about now.
I wish we had Parse available! I was so looking forward to his return playing alongside Kopitar until the setback and the Penner addition, hopefully he will be ready to go next season.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
kingdoughty

murray is so bad with line combos...

i would do:
Penner - Stoll - Brown
Clifford - Richardson - Simmonds
Smyth - Lewis - Poni
Harrold - Zeus - Moller

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
I still can't, for the life of me, understand the reasoning behind constantly playing Westgarth - even when the opposition does not dress an enforcer. I just don't get it.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Seeing how much of a failure Smyth has been as a winger in his own zone, and with the knowledge that Smyth has played center in the past with the Oilers (and performed well on the faceoff circle), why not shift him to play C?

Penner-Smyth-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Moller
Richardson-Lewis-(Double Shifted Forward)

Mitchell-Doughty
Scuderi-Johnson
Martinez-Greene
Harrold (7th defenseman)

These lines actually gives the Kings some balance, grit and skill on every line. There aren't any finishers, but at the very least they can have some hard working players on every line to pickup for the lack of effort from linemates.

Brown will be the aggressor while Penner plays the boards and Smyth can station himself behind the net where he likes to make plays.

Clifford, Simmonds and Stoll are all aggressive forecheckers who can work a good cycle.

Ponikarovsky and Handzus are also two players who are strong along the boards that can open up some space for the smaller Moller.

Richardson and Lewis are both fast and defensively aware and rather than being dragged by an anchor in Westgarth, they could double shift a forward to help give the Kings a fourth line that can be productive.

I'd also like to see the defensive pairs to get back to what was working before. The blueline change was a disaster in San Jose.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:11 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

The problem with Smyth is he's horrible in the defensive zone as well. He seems to be lazy and acts like he gives 2 ***** about playing D. Centers have the most defensive zone coverage of the forwards so putting Grandpa Smyth there would be a disaster.

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:12 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I like this:

Penner-Lewis-Brown

Smyth-Stoll-Ponikarovsky

Harrold-Handzus-Moller

Eww....

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Seeing how much of a failure Smyth has been as a winger in his own zone, and with the knowledge that Smyth has played center in the past with the Oilers (and performed well on the faceoff circle), why not shift him to play C?
That would involve giving Smyth more defensive responsibility. I don't think anyone wants that.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
That would involve giving Smyth more defensive responsibility. I don't think anyone wants that.
I think his weakness has been along the boards and his failure to get the puck out from the wing. Playing down the middle might eliminate that.

I also found some footage of him playing C while with the Oilers, he was still a productive player. He might have to be one of those players who can't be counted on to play a lick of defense, similar to what we were used to seeing from Luc Robitaille and Tomas Sandstrom, but at least they were productive players.

Old
04-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Luc would never be mistaken for a Selke candidate, thats for sure. But except for his last season in the NHL as a 40 year old he was always a solid offensive contributor. Luc was never as invisible as Smyth has been at the end of the last two seasons.

The other thing about Luc, I never saw him blatantly quit on a play the way Smyth did on that Pavelski play in SJ. That was unprofessional and should have earned him a seat on the bench. To me that was the most pathetic play a King has made all year.

Has Smyth reached the Ran_y Jones level of suckiness to you yet?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Luc would never be mistaken for a Selke candidate, thats for sure. But except for his last season in the NHL as a 40 year old he was always a solid offensive contributor. Luc was never as invisible as Smyth has been at the end of the last two seasons.

The other thing about Luc, I never saw him blatantly quit on a play the way Smyth did on that Pavelski play in SJ. That was unprofessional and should have earned him a seat on the bench. To me that was the most pathetic play a King has made all year.

Has Smyth reached the Ran_y Jones level of suckiness to you yet?
To me, Randy Jones was just dumb as a light bulb on the ice, it wasn't so much a lack of effort that led to his mistakes.

With Smyth, age has caught up to him. While he was never a fluid skater, it seems as if his skating has gotten significantly worse. He could barely turn or stay on his feet. Every time he moves his feet, it looks like he has an anchor tied to his skates.

I think the only thing left to motivate him to play at this point in his career is his paycheck. If he wasn't earning so damn much, one would think that he wouldn't embarrass himself out there and do the honorable thing and hang up his skates.

He's looking about as bad as Jeremy Roenick did as a King.

Old
04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
OldGreatWestern

Penner - Johnson - Brown
Smyth - Stoll - Richardson
Clifford - Lewis - Simmonds
Ponikarovski - Handzus - Moller

Doughty - Scuderi
Mitchell - Martinez
Greene - Harrold

Quick
Bernier

Desperate times...

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Chazz Reinhold

I question the hockey acumen of anyone who puts Johnson at forward...

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

I love how when Kopitar went down, Murray's focus shifted to Lewis. Lewis this, Lewis that...now just a few games later, he's already been demoted to the 4th line.

Now, I'm not one of the delusionists that thinks Lewis is a 1st line center...Im not even sure he's a 2nd. But on THIS team at THIS point, he most definitely is.

Maybe Murray's logic is that he's hoping Lewis gets Westgarth to score.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
OldGreatWestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I question the hockey acumen of anyone who puts Johnson at forward...
The guy has great hands, he is a great skater, we know he can play defense. He has a great entry into the offensive zone. These are all the most important qualities of a center. As I said... desperate times...

Last edited by OldGreatWestern: 04-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Well, I think that's more true of Andy Murray not so much Terry.

Terry's given Simmonds, DD, Clifford, A-Mart, Moller, Lewis etc quality minutes at a very young age.

Put Zeus and Poni on the 4th line. These guys won't be with the team next year anyways
Terry will play the kids, but he will always trust a veteran over a young player. Smyth and Handzus will be trusted more than Lewis and Clifford, even though Clifford and Lewis are playing better.

Penner-Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Lewis-Moller
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Smyth-Richardson-Westgarth

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I love the Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds line, but I suppose you can split it.

Penner-Richardson-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Simmonds
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Moller
Clifford-Lewis-Westgarth (Somebody else preferably)

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote