HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is anyone NOT worried?

Old
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
FlyerGuy18

vCash: 500
Is anyone NOT worried?

They have not played a dominate game since 1/25 IMO. They made me sick tonight. What's going to happen to this team? I don't believe in this 'saving it for the playoffs' crap. Does leaving two Senators parked in front of the crease untouched = 'saving it for the playoffs'?

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
TheLegendkiller

I'm also highly upset nobody beat the **** out of one of the Senators in a show of rage.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I'm also highly upset nobody beat the **** out of one of the Senators in a show of rage.
Yeah, this is probably the first time all season i've truly wanted Shelley in the lineup.

For anyone who isn't aware of my feelings on Shelley, that's pretty ****ing major.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
sobrien
Oshie Hipster

I'm not upset because at this point I've come to terms with the fact that we'll probably lose in the first round and we f**king deserve it.

Serves this team right for thinking they can half-ass it to the cup again because of how they look on paper and what they accomplished last year. It's embarrassing.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'm not upset because at this point I've come to terms with the fact that we'll probably lose in the first round and we f**king deserve it.

Serves this team right for thinking they can half-ass it to the cup again because of how they look on paper and what they accomplished last year. It's embarrassing.
Grow up time for some of the younger core on this team. The arrogance of thinking they could coast after the 1st half success and then "turning it on" when they FEEL like it...is a big sign of lack of maturity. We can only hope they figure things out quick and decide to play for Lavy and for themselves (pride) and save some face.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:41 PM
97FlyersKing18

I am NOT worried. It has been a long 12 months and once Pronger, Betts, and Briere come back (2 Playoff "Monsters" and the team's best face-off man that will greatly help the PP and PK), nobody can touch the Flyers in a 7 game series. There is no way a team can keep up with the uptempo forecheck, the stout defense and goal scoring prowess of this squad. I still stand by my claim that this is the best Flyers team from top to bottom that I have ever seen (I am 21).

This team has utterly dominated opposition for 3/4 of the year and looked downright embarrassing the final 10-15, but it is unfair to expect 82 games of perfection. Call me an optimist, but it is better than being a negative nitwit all the time. Enjoy the glory of the playoffs, no sense in getting worked up and splitting hairs over a team we literally have no control over.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:51 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
I honestly don't know what the **** to think anymore. I've been extremely optimistic for a while now...

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
i have no expectations for this team in the playoffs so if they actually do win a round or two i will happy.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I'm waiting for the playoffs and enjoying all the usual suspects whipping out their tired hobbyhorse-critiques every time the team loses.

Last edited by Readyrock: 04-05-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Some of you are SOOOOO right....this nitwit and his critique is soo amusing and pessimistic...

Quote:
Laviolette didn’t have much to say after the game.

“No jump … everywhere,” he said. “Extremely alarming.
another dummy!

Quote:
It’s so frustrating,” said Andrej Meszaros, who had his head down the entire time he spoke. “A lot of their guys are playing AHL and they come here and outwork us, out-battle us, everything. They were a better team.

“That can’t happen. It doesn’t matter if they’re not making the playoffs ... We have to get way better than we showed tonight because we’re going to have a tough time in the playoffs.”
ha ha look at this tard and his comments..so naive..despite being 39 years old and a grizzled vet

Quote:
“It’s very alarming,” said Sean O’Donnell. “We had a 1-0 lead and then we were just flat. I can’t explain it. Pittsburgh is right there. We’re right there with Washington. To come up with an effort like that is just inexcusable.”

The mostly AHL-Senators outworked the Flyers everywhere on the ice.

“100 percent,” O’Donnell said.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
It seems to me that the Flyers can only muster a win when their back's are against the wall, like last year, they barely made the playoffs...

Richards said this will all change friday, so if they lose friday or look flat, then, yea I am worried...well... more worried.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:42 PM
97FlyersKing18

Says the guy with the username "DrDoom". We all know 99% of this site is negative negative negative. Nobody commends the great athletes we have on this team or the excellent year this team has had already just by getting over 100pts. This team was on an incredible pace and it was unrealistic to expect them to be at a 1.7pt per game clip. Like I said before, sit back and watch the amazing hockey we are about to see in a week, especially since most people on this site couldn't accurately critique a hockey game to save their lives.

S'OD has won a cup, he knows what it takes. It is alarming the way this team has played the past few weeks, and I stated that in my previous post, but I am not "worried" this team is going to lose. There is nothing to "worry" about, the players that get paid the big bucks will show up and make an impact in some form, while fools on an internet message board tear them apart to get back at them for crushing their hopes and dreams of rooting for a champion once again. I highly doubt people have "no expectations for this team" considering who is on the team and their past performances come playoff time. Don't be "worried", be excited for what the Flyers are about to accomplish.

Old
04-05-2011, 11:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Says the guy with the username "DrDoom". We all know 99% of this site is negative negative negative. Nobody commends the great athletes we have on this team or the excellent year this team has had already just by getting over 100pts. This team was on an incredible pace and it was unrealistic to expect them to be at a 1.7pt per game clip. Like I said before, sit back and watch the amazing hockey we are about to see in a week, especially since most people on this site couldn't accurately critique a hockey game to save their lives.

S'OD has won a cup, he knows what it takes. It is alarming the way this team has played the past few weeks, and I stated that in my previous post, but I am not "worried" this team is going to lose. There is nothing to "worry" about, the players that get paid the big bucks will show up and make an impact in some form, while fools on an internet message board tear them apart to get back at them for crushing their hopes and dreams of rooting for a champion once again. I highly doubt people have "no expectations for this team" considering who is on the team and their past performances come playoff time. Don't be "worried", be excited for what the Flyers are about to accomplish.
Umm DrDoom is totally unrelated...it's a moniker for another reason...I post on other blogs on other topics. Nevertheless, I commend your optimism I just happen to think it's misguided. It's no aberration how poorly and uninspired this team has played since the all star break. People were not negative when they were killing it in the first half and it was with reason that they were not negative. There is reason now to be concerned especially when the coach and players themselves express the concern. Their body of "work" the second half has not inspired much confidence whatsoever and if you believe in this fantasy switch they will be turning on well please send me a pic of you saddled on your unicorn....I'll hang it up next to the 2011 Stanley Cup Banner. Having said this I hope you are right.....25 years of no cup (how long I've followed them) is just a tad bit hard to swallow and I've seen this soap opera episode before..it doesn't have cup finals in the script...but we shall see.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:31 AM
dats81

Quote:
I am NOT worried. It has been a long 12 months and once Pronger, Betts, and Briere come back (2 Playoff "Monsters" and the team's best face-off man that will greatly help the PP and PK), nobody can touch the Flyers in a 7 game series. There is no way a team can keep up with the uptempo forecheck, the stout defense and goal scoring prowess of this squad. I still stand by my claim that this is the best Flyers team from top to bottom that I have ever seen (I am 21).

This team has utterly dominated opposition for 3/4 of the year and looked downright embarrassing the final 10-15, but it is unfair to expect 82 games of perfection. Call me an optimist, but it is better than being a negative nitwit all the time. Enjoy the glory of the playoffs, no sense in getting worked up and splitting hairs over a team we literally have no control over.
I've been following the team since the early 90s any I have seen better Flyers squads. And no, they didn't win the cup as we all know.
If you want to find out the value of dominating 3/4 of the year just go and ask a Capitals or Sharks fan

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Jimmy Villa

This team is choking harder than a rock singer in a hotel room.

Playoffs are about MOMENTUM. You don't have it? Then you don't do well.

The Flyers have the look of a certain Washington team last year and as another user pointed out, the Caps & Sharks have made habits of bowling over the regular season then choking the playoffs.

With regret, this team is in no mindset to win the cup this year.

I didn't catch the Sens game, but the general consensus seems to be that it was all out 'gutless'. I don't know any gutless teams that take the trophy home.

And Mr Optimism, there is no 'switch'. You play well, you build momentum. You play terribly, you destruct from within. Which have the Flyers been doing since January?!

To think that the Pens are this close to the Flyers WITHOUT Sid & Geno for so long, is just all kinds of wrong. Pens will finish above the Flyers now without a doubt, and the Flyers will come up against a team that has been working hard to secure a post season berth. They will be pumped, and the Flyers will be flat.

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:35 AM
spudnick

Quote:

Why not, Vancouver has near done it.

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Why not, Vancouver has near done it.
And they've had more injuries to deal with, AND they're in a tighter conference!!!

(As at March 25)
Vancouver man games lost = 306
Philly man games lost = 197

Canucks D has been decimated for quite a while, and they've now also lost Malhotra.

But they stayed the course and rode it out. I think they have a more experienced roster. Our youthful (overall) roster just seems to think they can coast to the cup, who needs momentum and form, right?!?

Aint gonna happen

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
decadentia

Only Bill Paxton's acting skills can express how I feel.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:17 AM
John Flyers Fan

If this team "flips the switch" come playoff time, Pronger is even better and more important than I thought.

Right about now this is looking like 6 games and out to Tampa.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:31 AM
97FlyersKing18

I guessed DrDoom was a play on general negativity, I am sorry for the assumption. Playing for "near" 82 games like the Canucks is still not perfection. Just because the Flyers went 82-0 in that Verizon commercial doesn't mean it is feasible. There is no magic "switch", but if you would like I can post a large picture of Pronger and to a lesser extent Briere, because they have a major impact upon the success of this team in all 3 zones that we have recently seen the Flyers lack intensity. Pronger and Briere are two of the greatest playoff performers post-lockout, it is more than fair to have beaming confidence in their ability to get the job done. I do not know for certain that this team will win the Stanley Cup, it is a long hard road to get the 16W, but to truly believe this team isn't one of the legitimate 4 contenders is asinine.

I highly doubt any of the Flyers players or coaching staff are "worried" that this team will be beaten in a 7 game series.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
I guessed DrDoom was a play on general negativity, I am sorry for the assumption. Playing for "near" 82 games like the Canucks is still not perfection. Just because the Flyers went 82-0 in that Verizon commercial doesn't mean it is feasible. There is no magic "switch", but if you would like I can post a large picture of Pronger and to a lesser extent Briere, because they have a major impact upon the success of this team in all 3 zones that we have recently seen the Flyers lack intensity. Pronger and Briere are two of the greatest playoff performers post-lockout, it is more than fair to have beaming confidence in their ability to get the job done. I do not know for certain that this team will win the Stanley Cup, it is a long hard road to get the 16W, but to truly believe this team isn't one of the legitimate 4 contenders is asinine.

I highly doubt any of the Flyers players or coaching staff are "worried" that this team will be beaten in a 7 game series.
Actually, there have been more than a few players quoted that they're concerned about their play over the last few weeks. Including pretty much everyone with a mic in front of 'em last night.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Cuiffitelli

I said it last week and I'll say it again. This team needs a new coach and a new GM. The players have either tuned out Lavy or his system all of a sudden sucks. Either way a change must be made. As for the GM, well his actions speek for them self!!!

Cuiffitelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
It's fair and justified for anybody to be worried about this team. I've kinda been stuck in the middle between the everything is just fine crowd and the season's already over crowd. I'm a bit more on the worried side now because it's been all talk and almost no action. They keep saying they need urgency and a complete effort and then they come out and get outplayed by one of the worst teams in hockey. It's very frustrating.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Mgkibbles

I'm a little concerned, but I still have faith they'll turn it on come postseason when the energy gets ramped up.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Grow up time for some of the younger core on this team. The arrogance of thinking they could coast after the 1st half success and then "turning it on" when they FEEL like it...is a big sign of lack of maturity. We can only hope they figure things out quick and decide to play for Lavy and for themselves (pride) and save some face.
The fact that on the week of March 17th Laviolette gave them what they asked to get rested and this is how he gets repaid is a shame and it falls right on the shoulder of Carter and Richards and I could care less what the dynamic duo lovers think about that because now you are seeing a direct result of what the core have to give.

This goes back several years and the only carryover from this are: Hartnell, Briere, Timonen, Carter, and Richards...........the writing is on the wall folks, our "leaders" signed to long term contracts are failing to get the job done.

Laviolette letting his players rest a bit
March 17, 2011|By Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

Flyers forward Dan Carcillo tangles with Florida's Mike Duco during Tuesday night's 3-2 win over…ATLANTA - Is Peter Laviolette, the Flyers' hard-driving coach, turning soft on his players?

"I hope not. They would probably tell you not," Laviolette said with a smile on Wednesday, when he gave his players another day away from the practice rink.

In the last 10 days, Laviolette has eased up on his players because of a flu outbreak that hit the team and because the grueling regular-season schedule is winding down. He wants to keep everyone fresh as they make a run for the franchise's first Stanley Cup since 1975.

The fact that the Flyers were in the Stanley Cup Finals until June 9 last season also has contributed to the off days, he said.

The Flyers have had four days away from the rink in the last 10 days. Put another way: They have had just two practices in the last six nongame days.

"You have to remember how late we played last year; everything kind of factors into it," Laviolette said. "They played a long time, and there are times when you don't have to put on your equipment and still get a workout."

The players weren't completely off Wednesday. They worked out in the weight room and rode exercise bikes.

"They continue to work on their conditioning," Laviolette said.

Getting time off from the ice, winger James van Riemsdyk said, will help in the final 13 regular-season games.

"We did it a lot last year, too," said van Riemsdyk, aware that the team has been given even more days off this season. "It kept us fresh down the stretch. Obviously, it's a long year. At this time of year, you're playing almost every other day. . . . But to stay away from the rink a little bit keeps you fresher, gives you that extra jump when you get there" for games.

It also gives players - such as van Riemsdyk - time to heal some nagging injuries.

On Thursday, the Flyers will play in Atlanta and try to avenge Saturday's stunning 5-4 overtime loss. The altered top three lines that played in Tuesday's 3-2 win in Florida will remain together in Atlanta, Laviolette said. The lines: Claude Giroux centering Jeff Carter and Danny Briere; Mike Richards centering Scott Hartnell and Ville Leino; and Kris Versteeg centering van Riemsdyk and Dan Carcillo.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote