HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2011, 11:05 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he was good in Dallas...but ill admit, i havent seen them play in a LOOONG while so i dont know how good or bad goligoski has been.
Goligoski, from what I have seen, has been a fantastic addition for Dallas.

Neal is one of the streakiest players in the league, and he got cold at the wrong time. He needs a center to produce, as well. They probably know that Richards won't be back, so they traded him while his value was still relatively high.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Richards is the best player for the Stars most nights. The man is just a fantastic passer. That's all that matters. You don't get him to play great defense (even though he's hardly a bad defender). He knows, better than most, what to do with the puck, when to do it, how to do it, and where to do it.

There is no one on this team that can do that. No one can even come close to doing it like he does.

And having watched a lot of Stars games this season, I don't think it's so much that the team is disinterested but rather they just aren't a very good team to begin with. They were playing over their heads early in the season, while some other, decent Western Conference teams were underachieving (Anaheim, San Jose, both in Dallas' division, come to mind).

The Stars have a really weak group of defensemen and Kari Lehtonen is not good enough to make up for that.
Spot on. The Stars overachieved for much of the season. Their defense is very suspect.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Richter35

knowing glen it'll be 6 yrs/40 mill. I'm confident brad won't be a dud like wade was but let's hope this concussion stuff is a thing of the past come TC

Old
04-02-2011, 11:16 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I don't disagree that our Defense is horrible. But for clarification, its not our D that's the problem right now. Outside of that 6-0 drubbing in SJ, we've been in one game goals for the majority of the past 30. Before the All Star Break we led the league in 1 goal games. Since then though our offense has completely dried up. We've scored 9 goals in our past 6. Our star players have been invisible. Including Brad.

Having a horrible D doesn't change the fact that Richards has been part of the problem on this team for months, and that something is still off with him from the concussion. Don't blame me for having reservations about him coming to New York with those problems, I feel the same reservations about him possibly re-signing with Dallas.

In both cases I'm worried about how he'll be 7 years down the line, and if he'll be worth the contract. Or whether we've seen his best production behind him. Being on a bad Dallas team (which is funny considering they're better than the Rangers, hah), doesn't mean I can't be slightly concerned about him being invisible during Dallas's most important stretch of the year.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I don't disagree that our Defense is horrible. But for clarification, its not our D that's the problem right now. Outside of that 6-0 drubbing in SJ, we've been in one game goals for the majority of the past 30. Before the All Star Break we led the league in 1 goal games. Since then though our offense has completely dried up. We've scored 9 goals in our past 6. Our star players have been invisible. Including Brad.
Well, obviously I disagree with you that he's been invisible. But you're neglecting to mention that the Stars' schedule of late has been EXTREMELY difficult. The last 9 games the Stars have played have ALL been against better teams. Nearly all of those teams are among the league's top defensive teams (NSH, LA, SJ, PHI, PHX are all top 10 teams defensively). And most of these were games with huge playoff implications for the other team, not just the Stars. Since he's come back from concussion, the Stars have only played two games against weaker opponents (MIN, CGY). This is actually a remarkably difficult segment of the schedule for a team to have.

Quote:
Having a horrible D doesn't change the fact that Richards has been part of the problem on this team for months, and that something is still off with him from the concussion. Don't blame me for having reservations about him coming to New York with those problems, I feel the same reservations about him possibly re-signing with Dallas.
For months? He was phenomenal all the way until he got hurt, and he's only been back for a month. Less, actually. 11 games. 4 were OTL. I don't doubt that he's not 100% right now, but I don't think he's the problem. The team just wasn't that good. The difference is, they were winning a lot of those close games. Now they are losing them. On paper, the Stars shouldn't have been a playoff team this season. And they won't be.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Yes, Brad Richards will be their No. 1 offseason target, but it's no sure thing they'll get him. I still think the Rangers are the best bet for Richards. Leafs GM Brian Burke might have to be creative to fill that void at center on the top line. He may need to look around the league and see if there are teams being pressured to cut payroll and try to scoop up a center that way. It's been suggested Colorado's Paul Stastny, for example, could be had that way. We'll see. If Toronto can add a bona fide No. 1 center (in addition to its plan to add more size to the lineup), the playoffs are a possibility next season.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-bright-future

Old
04-06-2011, 06:54 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Brad Richards would make this team so much better in so many facets. He's the number 1 center we've been waiting for, and he would give us a real first line with him and Gaborik.

No brainer in my eyes. He should definitely be a top priority.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
Brad Richards would make this team so much better in so many facets. He's the number 1 center we've been waiting for, and he would give us a real first line with him and Gaborik.

No brainer in my eyes. He should definitely be a top priority.
He fills so many voids for this team it's scary. Number 1 center, PP QB, etc. He'd fit in perfectly.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I thin he's a good fit too...Just a shame he wasn't a tad bit younger, because I am pretty sure he won't be coming at a discount of any sorts.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:10 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I thin he's a good fit too...Just a shame he wasn't a tad bit younger, because I am pretty sure he won't be coming at a discount of any sorts.
The contract would be worse if he was a year or two, or even three years younger.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I would love to have Richards but I am afraid of the contract... our track record with FA signings like this one would be is pretty sketchy

Old
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
The contract would be worse if he was a year or two, or even three years younger.
Good point.

We're talking about one of those absurd NHL contracts. Like 10 years and who knows how much money.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
exactly, if he was 27 like Kovy it would have been another sick contract like last summer

Old
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
He fills so many voids for this team it's scary. Number 1 center, PP QB, etc. He'd fit in perfectly.
So, 2 voids?

Old
04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I would love to have Richards but I am afraid of the contract... our track record with FA signings like this one would be is pretty sketchy
The length of the contract shouldn't concern you, it's the inclusion of NMC & NTC's that we need to worry about.... As long as the player is eligible to be waived at a certain point in the contract, I don't have any concerns over the contract length... I doubt Sather would do it, but if he wanted to give Richards an 7-8 year deal to keep the cap hit low, but make sure he doesn't have a NMC past year 4, I'd be all for it....

Old
04-06-2011, 07:31 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Good point.

We're talking about one of those absurd NHL contracts. Like 10 years and who knows how much money.
If Richards wants a contract like that, he won't get it from the Rangers. That has been well-documented throughout the league. They will probably end up giving him a contract similar to Gaborik's and Richards will just have to decide whether he wants NY or more money elsewhere. I personally think his move to NY is a forgone conclusion at this point. Both sides want it.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
mcsauer2738

I want nothing more than Brad Richards and Chris Kreider to sign with the Rangers this off-season.
Kreider-Richards-Gaborik (Probably fastest line in hockey)
Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Avery-Stepan-Wolski
Prust-Boyle-Hagelin
Boogeyman

Roll 4 lines and keep em fresh

Old
04-06-2011, 08:55 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
I want nothing more than Brad Richards and Chris Kreider to sign with the Rangers this off-season.

Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Avery-Stepan-Wolski
Prust-Boyle-Hagelin
Boogeyman

I'm starting to get the feeling Thomas will make the team.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post

Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Avery-Stepan-Wolski
Prust-Boyle-Hagelin
Boogeyman

I would think Kreider would disappoint you under those circumstances.... He hasn't dominated at the NCAA level yet, I wouldn't expect him to be able to play any 1st line role in the NHL with players like Richards & Gaborik and keep up.... He's going to need some time to refine his overall game before he's ready for something like that IMHO....

My money is on Hagelin making the team if they have a spot open for a prospect to earn in camp..... He's the oldest and most experienced of all our prospects, plays in all game situations, and has a set of wheels....

Old
04-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Vitto79

so does Dallas making or not making the playoffs have big impact on what happens to Richards July 1st?

if they make it then its extra revenue but if they dont well it doesnt help the piggy bank

all respect to Dru as he came up big the last game of the yr but he has to be bought out and they have to after BR

Old
04-10-2011, 08:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I would think Kreider would disappoint you under those circumstances.... He hasn't dominated at the NCAA level yet, I wouldn't expect him to be able to play any 1st line role in the NHL with players like Richards & Gaborik and keep up.... He's going to need some time to refine his overall game before he's ready for something like that IMHO....

My money is on Hagelin making the team if they have a spot open for a prospect to earn in camp..... He's the oldest and most experienced of all our prospects, plays in all game situations, and has a set of wheels....

You and me seem to keep debating this. Which is good. I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Kreider's NCAA stats are insignificant to what he will do at the Pro level. He wasn't in a role to be a top offensive player at BC. His offensive skill hasn't disappeared.

At BC he matured as a player, he has developed a two way responsible game, which will only help him more at the Pro level.

Kreider's physical package is more refined then any of the rookies we have had the last couple of years (except Sauer and McDonagh).

Kreider is exactly the kind of player Tortorella sinks his teeth into and loves to develop.

He's 6-2, 220 lbs. He's physically ready. As long as he's assertive, he should be fine.

Kreider making it shouldn't effect Hagelin's chances. I feel they'll both make it.

Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Hagelin
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

Old
04-10-2011, 10:15 AM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kreider making it shouldn't effect Hagelin's chances. I feel they'll both make it.

Prospal - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Hagelin
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust
Out of curiosity, what do you think happens to Wolski, Christensen, Avery and Boogey in this situation?

Old
04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you think happens to Wolski, Christensen, Avery and Boogey in this situation?
Zuccarello as well.

Old
04-10-2011, 10:55 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
Not that I necessarily think what SSM was proposing is actually going to happen, but all of those players with the exception of Avery are garbage and need to be parted with. Not winners. Not essential to winning.

Avery, IMO, is another player suffering from the poor construction of the Rangers, like Drury and Gaborik. He could be a useful player if properly managed.

As for Kreider and Hagelin both making the team, I don't think it's likely. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Very strong possibility that Hagelin makes the team, I agree. But I'd imagine something more like:

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Callahan
Hagelin-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Valentenko-TBD (probably McCabe, he'd actually be truly useful if he was on the PP with Richards)

Lundqvist
Biron

Can't see Kreider cracking this team.

That's an imposing hockey club. That's a club that can roll some strong all-around lines at you.

Then, MAYBE at the next trade deadline, you look to make that move that puts you over the top if the team is playing well. Like a package of Girardi and Boyle and a mid-level prospect and/or a pick to get yourself a legit offensive defenseman to play with Staal. You move up a prospect to fill Boyle's place.

Old
04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so does Dallas making or not making the playoffs have big impact on what happens to Richards July 1st?

if they make it then its extra revenue but if they dont well it doesnt help the piggy bank

all respect to Dru as he came up big the last game of the yr but he has to be bought out and they have to after BR
don't see any downside for a team making the playoffs as opposed to not. even getting swept means having 2 extra home games and a few million in extra revenue.

regarding Richards, not sure whether them making it or not has a huge effect on where he plays next year.

Closed Thread