HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is anyone NOT worried?

Old
04-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
It's fair and justified for anybody to be worried about this team. I've kinda been stuck in the middle between the everything is just fine crowd and the season's already over crowd. I'm a bit more on the worried side now because it's been all talk and almost no action. They keep saying they need urgency and a complete effort and then they come out and get outplayed by one of the worst teams in hockey. It's very frustrating.
Season is not over but the whole idea that people are giving them a pass because of the run last season is a joke. This team has been bipolar like this for several years. They work when they feel like it, or when they think it is important.

As a fan of this team since their inception, I was embarrassed for what they showed last night. No heart, no sense of urgency, and the Richie smirk after he scored his sceond goals says everything we need to know....they thought they could show up and collect the 2pts.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:06 AM
fischi

I swear Leino said he wouls play pissed and show he deserved more ice time! Hmmm well he did pass well, to the Sens! I havent seen a big hit or mo changing play in months! Basically they have become the most boring team to watch!

fischi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
PhillyFlying

i would kill for a guy like lappy right now on our fourth line. carcillo is the only guy out there throwing himself around trying to get in the other team's head. the rest of the team just lollygags out there trying to look cute and make pretty plays. it's beyond frustrating. it's not flyers hockey, and it's never worked in philly.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Season is not over but the whole idea that people are giving them a pass because of the run last season is a joke. This team has been bipolar like this for several years. They work when they feel like it, or when they think it is important.
Last year they really caught lightning in a bottle as far as matchups and everything else. I'll admit that for most of the season I wasn't too critical because of the run last year, it's starting to look like they just stopped competing and are just waiting for the playoffs. That's a recipe for disaster IMO.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I am NOT worried. It has been a long 12 months and once Pronger, Betts, and Briere come back (2 Playoff "Monsters" and the team's best face-off man that will greatly help the PP and PK), nobody can touch the Flyers in a 7 game series. There is no way a team can keep up with the uptempo forecheck, the stout defense and goal scoring prowess of this squad. I still stand by my claim that this is the best Flyers team from top to bottom that I have ever seen (I am 21).

This team has utterly dominated opposition for 3/4 of the year and looked downright embarrassing the final 10-15, but it is unfair to expect 82 games of perfection. Call me an optimist, but it is better than being a negative nitwit all the time. Enjoy the glory of the playoffs, no sense in getting worked up and splitting hairs over a team we literally have no control over.
This team has not "dominated" for 3/4 of the season. They have had issues since the Christmas break. Since 2/20 they have had two quality wins in regulation or OT against teams who are going to the playoffs.

Some times looking at the reality of the situation is just being honest, this team is getting paid to act like a bunch of juveniles who do not care while the fanbase invests their money and time into watching them.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
i would kill for a guy like lappy right now on our fourth line. carcillo is the only guy out there throwing himself around trying to get in the other team's head. the rest of the team just lollygags out there trying to look cute and make pretty plays. it's beyond frustrating. it's not flyers hockey, and it's never worked in philly.
Holmstrom earned himself another night on the ice, one of the top 6 starters can sit.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:19 AM
PhillyFlying

i want garbage goals and i want a ton of them. we have almost zero net presence right now (the exception being the pittsburgh game where HBL caught fire). this team will win the stanley cup on garbage goals if they can get over themselves and stop trying to be pretty.

defensively, my biggest concern lately is the PK. bob is useless when he's screened. shoot high and you're guaranteed a goal. PK guys need to get gutsier.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Holmstrom earned himself another night on the ice, one of the top 6 starters can sit.
nodl.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
He isn't going to play again this year... definitely going to get suspended if the NHL isn't completely full of ****.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He isn't going to play again this year... definitely going to get suspended if the NHL isn't completely full of ****.
sad but true.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Yea, I'd be shocked if he wasn't given a game or two.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yea, I'd be shocked if he wasn't given a game or two.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't more... that was textbook, and he's a nobody the NHL can make a statement with without ruffling too many feathers.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
esuhock22

The team is done with the regular season PERIOD. If they haven't made that clear to everyone yet I don't know what to say. They are missing players, players that are playing and banged up, and it's obvious from their play that winning the conference isn't really a top priority on their list. Whether you think they can turn it around for playoffs or not is one thing, but I'm not expecting much from this team for the rest of the regular season.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Last year they really caught lightning in a bottle as far as matchups and everything else. I'll admit that for most of the season I wasn't too critical because of the run last year, it's starting to look like they just stopped competing and are just waiting for the playoffs. That's a recipe for disaster IMO.
Biggest problem for me is this is a repeat cycle.

Flyers lose last game of season to Rangers which would give them home ice, get beat by Pens in first round.

Last season it was an inconsistent year, winning in a shootout to make it into the playoffs. Last season over the last twelve games they were 4-8. Clutch baby.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
I'd be shocked if it wasn't more... that was textbook, and he's a nobody the NHL can make a statement with without ruffling too many feathers.
I need to watch the hit again, but from what I remember Holmstrom was going for a hit, Carle bumped Smith which slowed him down drastically leaving only his head out, and Holmstrom finished the hit. I think a suspension is coming, but a case could be made that the hit would of been much different if Carle didn't get a piece of him and this hit was just a result of the game being fast, not necessarily a direct head shot.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

oh really....

Quote:
Getting time off from the ice, winger James van Riemsdyk said, will help in the final 13 regular-season games.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
I need to watch the hit again, but from what I remember Holmstrom was going for a hit, Carle bumped Smith which slowed him down drastically leaving only his head out, and Holmstrom finished the hit. I think a suspension is coming, but a case could be made that the hit would of been much different if Carle didn't get a piece of him and this hit was just a result of the game being fast, not necessarily a direct head shot.
He put his elbow right into his head. Mitigating circumstances or not, that's exactly the type of decision the league needs to get out of the sport.

Was also going to be in the gray area of blindside.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
His elbow was sticking out, and it was blatant. He's going to get suspended...regardless of intent. It looked bad.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm worried but not hitting the panic button yet. They keep saying they'll turn it on in the playoffs, so until the puck drops in that first game I'm not going to panic just yet.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
He put his elbow right into his head. Mitigating circumstances or not, that's exactly the type of decision the league needs to get out of the sport.

Was also going to be in the gray area of blindside.
I'm not arguing there shouldn't be a suspension and like I said I need to watch the hit again. From what I remember though, I feel like the hit would of looked a lot better if Smith was never bumped by Carle, but who knows.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:40 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
It's the elbow that is going to get him in trouble. His elbow made direct contact with his head.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm not arguing there shouldn't be a suspension and like I said I need to watch the hit again. From what I remember though, I feel like the hit would of looked a lot better if Smith was never bumped by Carle, but who knows.
Sure, it may have been a clean hit if Carle hadn't bumped him... but he didn't need to extend his elbow (and his elbow only) through the guys head.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Sure, it may have been a clean hit if Carle hadn't bumped him... but he didn't need to extend his elbow (and his elbow only) through the guys head.
Yeah, dude's definitely getting suspended. That was pretty much the clearest elbow to the head that has happened in a while.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
It's the elbow that is going to get him in trouble. His elbow made direct contact with his head.
Elbows look worse, but I think only catching a players head with any part of a players body will be seriously looked at by the NHL.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
The team is done with the regular season PERIOD. If they haven't made that clear to everyone yet I don't know what to say. They are missing players, players that are playing and banged up, and it's obvious from their play that winning the conference isn't really a top priority on their list. Whether you think they can turn it around for playoffs or not is one thing, but I'm not expecting much from this team for the rest of the regular season.
Should this team be playing for home ice advantage? For the ability to have the energy of the fans on your side playing at home? A little pride maybe?