HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Eugene Melnyk

Old
04-06-2011, 08:09 AM
operasen

vCash: 500
Diefenbaker's grand-daughter

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
The Fuhr

Murray moves up to a president/scouting role
New GM brought in

I'd like that

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:30 AM
LGSens

Clouston will not be back and has been told so. He will not be allowed to be involved with the end of the year player meetings.

LGSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Iggy77

If they hire Cameron I think I'll be begging for Clouston to return

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what radio station this interview was on?

dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Glad we are going to use the Nashville pick to move up...

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

the guy's a little crazy, so......

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGSens View Post
Clouston will not be back and has been told so. He will not be allowed to be involved with the end of the year player meetings.
Really? Yikes. That is a harsh end.

Does he at least get to fly home from Boston on the team plane?

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
JustinYS

vCash: 50
Really? Da Costa as 2nd line center? The guy just came out of college lol

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc View Post
Does anyone know what radio station this interview was on?
Fan 590.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
Really? Yikes. That is a harsh end.

Does he at least get to fly home from Boston on the team plane?
The guy was given the chance to finish the season and salvage some wins...could have been much worse for him.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:44 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Murray moves up to a president/scouting role
New GM brought in

I'd like that
Not going to happen though. I'd say it's pretty clear that Murray will be the GM next yr. Won't be surprised when he signs a multi-year deal.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
Not going to happen though. I'd say it's pretty clear that Murray will be the GM next yr. Won't be surprised when he signs a multi-year deal.
I don't think he wants to sign for multi years....prob just another 1 year, but that's not to say there wouldn't another 1 year after that. He's old, it's best case for both sides to keep going 1 year.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I don't think he wants to sign for multi years....prob just another 1 year, but that's not to say there wouldn't another 1 year after that. He's old, it's best case for both sides to keep going 1 year.
If Murray stays on as GM it will be 1-year. He's bordering retirement.

After what happened this year he wants to leave on a good note with the team set for the future.

I'm weary of any new GM undoing the good work that has been already done.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That doesn't work for a few reasons. Mainly, BM took a short deal last time around because he didn't want to be around long and they gave Clouston a short term deal because he has stated that it wouldn't be fair for him to sign a coach long term if BM was only going to be here for one year.

So the way I look at it is, they will likely want to sign a coach long term, therfore if BM is there to pick that coach, he will also sign long term. If he intends to be here only one year again, then it is scary to think that maybe that would mean Clouston would be reuped for one year.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Is there really any doubt that Tim Murray will become the next GM?

Old
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
It wouldnt surprise me at all if Murray accepted this role if Tim Murray was becoming the GM.

For him to be willing to suck up his pride to stick around and help his nephew into his first GM role wouldnt shock anyone.

If its a different GM I would be surprised if Murray accepted this role.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Suiteness

From what I read in the OP, it doesn't seem like Murray will be back as a GM. The 'needs to be held accountable' stuff pretty much tells me he's gassed at the end of the year (or promoted out of the job ala Kevin Lowe.)

I also read in the 'New Coach' thread that Melnyk has already made his mind about both the GM and the coach? Cameron will be the next coach, that seems like a no brainer at this point especially with what Melnyk was saying about him (Loyal guy, I owe him one, etc.) As for the new GM, I really don't know what's in the back of his mind.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
senswon

Why is our owner picking our new coach???!!!
And moreover, why are we promoting yet another minor league coach (Cameron) who has coached and stunk for us before??!!

Is it so unrealistic to think we could have an veteran or at least more experienced NHL coach FFS? Sometimes this organization blows my mind.

/rant.

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

The GM and coach relationship is very important. It's probably not the first time that an owner has a personal relationship with the coach and even influences the hiring but it's probably not a good thing.

I see that decision as a GM responsibility which could result in internal discord especially if the coach has the ear of the owner over the GM.

At worse, Melnyk should have done this behind the scene and not gone so public about the coaching position. My favorable opinion of Melnyk has actually lowered.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
From what I read in the OP, it doesn't seem like Murray will be back as a GM. The 'needs to be held accountable' stuff pretty much tells me he's gassed at the end of the year (or promoted out of the job ala Kevin Lowe.)

I also read in the 'New Coach' thread that Melnyk has already made his mind about both the GM and the coach? Cameron will be the next coach, that seems like a no brainer at this point especially with what Melnyk was saying about him (Loyal guy, I owe him one, etc.) As for the new GM, I really don't know what's in the back of his mind.
I'm not buying any of that. If BMurray isn't there next year then the only reason I can see that is because TMurray is taking over. I think Melnyk wants a longterm (3 years) commitment and BMurray can't give him that. He isn't sure he wants to be around that long. It's understandable Melynk wants a commitment, he wants to know the direction of his team more that 1 year at a time.
Either way i think BMurray is back. Being held accountable doesn't directly translate into being fired. It's Melnyk's way of saying nobody will get a free pass if things go bad again, GM included.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post

Ruh-roh. You left only one plausible scenario -- Melnyk has hired himelf as new GM, and he's selected the coach.

Seriously, though, you're reading the tea leaves a little too liberally there. You can slice & dice it any way you want. For example, a new GM would already have to be with the team to be allowed to talk with a new coach. So Tim Murray is on the payroll already -- it must be him!

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

First 16ish minutes is the int, for anyone who is interested

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/P...04-05-5-pm.mp3

dmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
So the way I look at it is, they will likely want to sign a coach long term, therfore if BM is there to pick that coach, he will also sign long term. If he intends to be here only one year again, then it is scary to think that maybe that would mean Clouston would be reuped for one year.
This pretty much sums up why hiring a GM on a year to year basis is just plain dumb. You don't build hockey teams in one year. It's a long term process. Say Murray re-ups for one year, does he hire another a coach for a year only? What if the new GM two years from now wants to bring in his own guy? What happens then, the coach gets fired as soon the team hits a losing streak?

The backbone of an excellent organizations is stability. Enough of doing business the Islanders way.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:37 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Ruh-roh. You left only one plausible scenario -- Melnyk has hired himelf as new GM, and he's selected the coach.

Seriously, though, you're reading the tea leaves a little too liberally there. You can slice & dice it any way you want. For example, a new GM would already have to be with the team to be allowed to talk with a new coach. So Tim Murray is on the payroll already -- it must be him!
Jerry Jones of the NHL?

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote