HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Flyers @ Sens, 7:30pm (SNET-E)

Old
04-06-2011, 12:58 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyM View Post
I felt bad for him. It was embarressing IMO
Agreed... he's getting next to no respect.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Well I stated it once, he's straight out of college, never had an NHL training camp ever, hasn't even prepared for NHL hockey. Sorry but Im not really shocked the guy isn't getting a ton of minutes, especially when going up against the talented stacked forwards the Flyers have. Seems like he's being treated like any other kid in his position would be treated on any other team.
This team isn't any other team, it is one of the bottom feeders at the start of a rebuild.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Yeah, if they really want to see what he can do why not give him top linemates and time then work from there. It'll give us more information than burying him with Lessard and Wick for 8 minutes a night.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:16 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Agreed... he's getting next to no respect.
Because he sucks.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Vanek essentially clinched a spot for Buffalo, Price broke math with his 43 Saves on 42 Shots. Dubnyk shut out Vancouver I guess.

I can see why Spezza didn't, but he was unstoppable today, tough competition though.

CAREY PRICE GOALIE - MTL Sv: 43 | SA: 42 Sv%: 1.024
^^^^
Somebody check that guy for Tiger Blood...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Agree to disagree then on last years playoffs.

It seems that most people are willing to give Murray a second chance because of how he handled the team firesale, but somehow Clouston is being made into a scapegoat now and he's the source of all these problems, where's his second chance? Seems to me with these younger guys now they are buying into what Clouston is saying more and more.

I think he's gone anyway IMO at the end of the season no matter what, so its all moot anyway I guess. Hell it seems like Garrioch hates him, so he must be doing one thing right at least.
Nice try, but sorry.

You stated about Clouston "coached pretty damn well for his first ever playoffs against Pittsburgh".

My response was, Clouston was outcoached by Dan Bylsma, a coach with similar NHL experience in last year's playoffs. I also suggested his NHL record might reflect extenuating circumstances.

Now you somehow arrive at a place where Clouston is a scapegoat and what people feel about Murray is in some way relevant.

Regarding the bolded text, if you believe the recent performance of the Sens means anything other than the kids wanting to show well for the future, may I suggest you reconsider.

The reason behind the recent results are, significantly better goaltending, lack of pressure, effort by the Bingo Brigade and as Carvel indicated, teams aren't bringing their 'A game' when facing the current Sens.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:49 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
This team isn't any other team, it is one of the bottom feeders at the start of a rebuild.
So because were near the bottom of the standings, its a good reason to throw Da Costa to the wolves and give him a ton of minutes? Now THAT makes absolutely no sense to me, he's being handled perfectly fine out there, just like Butler was handled perfectly fine when he came in as well. But let people scream "moaaaaaaar minutes!!!" I guess, the Sens know what they're doing with the guy.

Quote:
Nice try, but sorry.

You stated about Clouston "coached pretty damn well for his first ever playoffs against Pittsburgh".

My response was, Clouston was outcoached by Dan Bylsma, a coach with similar NHL experience in last year's playoffs. I also suggested his NHL record might reflect extenuating circumstances.

Now you somehow arrive at a place where Clouston is a scapegoat and what people feel about Murray is in some way relevant.

Regarding the bolded text, if you believe the recent performance of the Sens means anything other than the kids wanting to show well for the future, may I suggest you reconsider.

The reason behind the recent results are, significantly better goaltending, lack of pressure, effort by the Bingo Brigade and as Carvel indicated, teams aren't bringing their 'A game' when facing the current Sens.
Ah, the significantly better goaltender, so Clouston has had to deal with perhaps the worst goaltending in the NHL, bottom 5, and yet still got this team to the playoffs and has an above .500 coaching record with the team, very interesting.

Its funny, when the team is doing poorly this season its Cloustons fault, when its winning hockey games, after the PLAYERS on the roster changed, it has nothing to do with Clouston at all, he's just along for the ride I guess riding the coattails of Greening and Condra.

How people feel about Murray is most definitely relevant to Clouston, Clouston is Murray's third coach, and if all indications are correct and Murray stays and Clouston goes, its on to coach #4, 4th times a charm I guess.

But hey, maybe our next coach you'll like more and being forced to defend him by people who bash the guy because "their guy" didn't play on the right line, or get enough minutes for that night.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:51 AM
SenzZen

Great pass by Smith on Butler's tally.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
So because were near the bottom of the standings, its a good reason to throw Da Costa to the wolves and give him a ton of minutes? Now THAT makes absolutely no sense to me, he's being handled perfectly fine out there, just like Butler was handled perfectly fine when he came in as well. But let people scream "moaaaaaaar minutes!!!" I guess, the Sens know what they're doing with the guy.
what does "throw him to the wolves" mean? you mean play him in a hockey game?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Flip_4

Got a jersey

I didn't know where to post this, but thought I would try here. I was one of the recipients of a jersey from the "Jerseys off our backs" promo last night.

I got Condra's jersey.

It was great to go on the ice and see SBP from a player's perspective. I'm sure it's an experience I will never go through again.

Condra was amazing and such a sweet kid.

I used to think that things like this only happened to "Other" people, I was wrong LOL

Flip_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:06 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
what does "throw him to the wolves" mean? you mean play him in a hockey game?
He did play in the hockey game, he was thrown out there at specific times though, I mean jesus christ, is it really THAT hard to figure out why he didn't get a ton of minutes here, or are people actually shocked by this?

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
He did play in the hockey game, he was thrown out there at specific times though, I mean jesus christ, is it really THAT hard to figure out why he didn't get a ton of minutes here, or are people actually shocked by this?
Well, people like CphoenixM were pencilling him in for 50-60 points next year. He had more points than Parise as freshman you know!

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:14 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_4 View Post
I didn't know where to post this, but thought I would try here. I was one of the recipients of a jersey from the "Jerseys off our backs" promo last night.

I got Condra's jersey.

It was great to go on the ice and see SBP from a player's perspective. I'm sure it's an experience I will never go through again.

Condra was amazing and such a sweet kid.

I used to think that things like this only happened to "Other" people, I was wrong LOL

Condra told Britney she was going to get it!

Old
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
senswon

Hard to evaluate DaCosta with virtually no icetime...

senswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Well, people like CphoenixM were pencilling him in for 50-60 points next year. He had more points than Parise as freshman you know!
Funny post. When did I ever say anything about his potential production? I said he was someone to get excited about, but that it was impossible to gauge how he would do in the NHL with so little time. I also said there was nothing that pointed to him being able to translate his game to the NHL level.

You must really be grasping to have to make things up to support your douchebaggery.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
Because he sucks.
Rofl

The truth hurts koobs...the truth hurts.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
You are giving him too much credit, his best numbers came after the Sens were eliminated in 2008-2009 and again at the end of this year.

IMO he didn't do very well in last year's playoffs at all, he was in fact outcoached badly.

While he may do well in the future as you suggest, I just don't believe his personality and interpersonal skills will ever allow him to be really successful at the professional level. I sincerely hope he has only two games left in Ottawa.
And that's exactly why I don't want Clouston back. From what I have read and heard, Clouston doesn't have close relations with his players, he doesn't seem to have the interpersonnal skills to manage a NHL bench. He doesn't "get the best out of his players". Who has surpassed expectations in 2.5 years? Karlsson? Nah, Karlsson is THAT good.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
And that's exactly why I don't want Clouston back. From what I have read and heard, Clouston doesn't have close relations with his players,
One of my favorite lines from the movie Miracle is when Herb Brooks is talking to the guys who've just found out they made the team and he says "I'll be your coach, I won't be your friend. If you want a friend talk to Craig [Patrick]"

Also note that often times very successful NHL coaches are despised by their players (Pat Burns, Scotty Bowman, Keenan).

I agree that Clouston should be gone, but I don't care whether the players like him or not.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
One of my favorite lines from the movie Miracle is when Herb Brooks is talking to the guys who've just found out they made the team and he says "I'll be your coach, I won't be your friend. If you want a friend talk to Craig [Patrick]"

Also note that often times very successful NHL coaches are despised by their players (Pat Burns, Scotty Bowman, Keenan).

I agree that Clouston should be gone, but I don't care whether the players like him or not.
But being bad communicators is certainly not something people would use to describe Keenan, Burns and Bowman, which is something that is being attributed to Clouston. The players may not have liked those coaches, but they certainly respected them.

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote