HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone NOT worried?

Old
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Flyrs21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
I said it last week and I'll say it again. This team needs a new coach and a new GM. The players have either tuned out Lavy or his system all of a sudden sucks. Either way a change must be made. As for the GM, well his actions speek for them self!!!
A new coach???? The core players have had 2 coaches on the opposite ends of the coaching spectrum and look what happened to the other.

I think it's time to hold the players accountable

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:51 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
The team is done with the regular season PERIOD. If they haven't made that clear to everyone yet I don't know what to say. They are missing players, players that are playing and banged up, and it's obvious from their play that winning the conference isn't really a top priority on their list.
Earlier in the year, I remember them saying that Home Ice advantage throughout was a big priority. I don't know why that would've changed all of the sudden.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Should this team be playing for home ice advantage? For the ability to have the energy of the fans on your side playing at home? A little pride maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Earlier in the year, I remember them saying that Home Ice advantage throughout was a big priority. I don't know why that would've changed all of the sudden.
I never said I think they shouldn't be playing for home ice, I'm looking at their play and saying it doesn't seem to matter to them at all.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
I never said I think they shouldn't be playing for home ice, I'm looking at their play and saying it doesn't seem to matter to them at all.
I wasn't attacking what you said. I just think it's crazy that they would work so hard for most of the season to just go eh **** it near the end.

Old
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I wasn't attacking what you said. I just think it's crazy that they would work so hard for most of the season to just go eh **** it near the end.
Agree 100%.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Recently I thought that Bill was getting a little soft and apologetic...I'm glad last night's reality check woke him up...

Quote:
Forget the fact that the Flyers fell out of first place in the East and the Capitals are now in the driver's seat to win the conference. Forget that the Penguins also won, moving within a single point of the Flyers in the Atlantic. If the Flyers need help from elsewhere to win the Eastern Conference and/or Atlantic Division, they don't deserve the honor. More important, if the Flyers play anything like the way they did in three of their four most recent losses, they won't beat any playoff opponent.

Last night, the Flyers didn't move their feet. I know they were playing for the fourth time in six nights. Too bad. Every other team is tired, too, but the good clubs battle through it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-6-11/45/35008

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
A new coach???? The core players have had 2 coaches on the opposite ends of the coaching spectrum and look what happened to the other.

I think it's time to hold the players accountable

Indeed....an attitude adjustment is needed...you get paid millions you COME TO WORK! Inexcusible how they've gone into cruise control and made excuses and in some cases even had the audacity to point fingers at their coach. The coach has even accomodated them with days off which means he's willing to compromise his tougher ways and be flexible since in the past maybe he was too hard and it cost him his job. Well look what he's been rewarded with...complete capitulation..particularly with last night's key game. Doesn't seem they want it bad enough to me....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I am worried

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Indeed....an attitude adjustment is needed...you get paid millions you COME TO WORK! Inexcusible how they've gone into cruise control and made excuses and in some cases even had the audacity to point fingers at their coach. The coach has even accomodated them with days off which means he's willing to compromise his tougher ways and be flexible since in the past maybe he was too hard and it cost him his job. Well look what he's been rewarded with...complete capitulation..particularly with last night's key game. Doesn't seem they want it bad enough to me....
Agreed. I don't think Lavy isn't the problem. The players need to be accountable.

Old
04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
zamboni88

Last year this team was fighting for a playoff spot right up until overtime of the final game of the season. The momentum of the shootout win against the Rangers carried into the first round against NJ.

THis team is coasting right now and that will keep them from gaining any momentum heading into the first round. Getting Pronger/Briere/Betts back will help as will the home town playoff crowd. It remains to be seen of this team can "flip the switch" and dominate in the playoffs.

zamboni88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

We have a lot of playoff performers. And as much as people don't want to hear "saving it for the playoffs", I'm sure it is having some effect. Each night there are only a select few players really playing hard, while the rest are relaxing, maybe nursing some minor injuries.

Richards, Pronger, Coburn, Timonen, Giroux, Briere are playoff beasts. We could even go down the lines some more and see other players who routinely step up during that time of the year.

This team is built for the playoffs.

P.S Doesn't mean this last month wasn't a pathetic display of effort.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
oh really....
It is truly a shame, but props to Laviolette. He gave the kids the rope to hang themselves.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM

How does a team go from being so dominant to this poor? How the ******* does this happen? It makes no bloody sense whatsoever. It's not even as if we were overly lucky before and/or unlucky now, we deserved them back then and we sure as hell deserve it now.

A few exceptions aside (G), they look like they've just become poor hockey players, how does that even happen overnight??!

Hate to say it, but Lavi has to take some significant flak here.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
We have a lot of playoff performers. And as much as people don't want to hear "saving it for the playoffs", I'm sure it is having some effect. Each night there are only a select few players really playing hard, while the rest are relaxing, maybe nursing some minor injuries.

Richards, Pronger, Coburn, Timonen, Giroux, Briere are playoff beasts. We could even go down the lines some more and see other players who routinely step up during that time of the year.

Stop that. This team is not playing as a unit, they are playing like a bunch of individuals. The regular season is a preparation for the playoffs and right now they cannot beat the Thrashers or Senators and you expect them to suddenly turn it on? This team is a bunch of dogs led by the king dog, Mike Richards.

Old
04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Stop that. This team is not playing as a unit, they are playing like a bunch of individuals. The regular season is a preparation for the playoffs and right now they cannot beat the Thrashers or Senators and you expect them to suddenly turn it on? This team is a bunch of dogs led by the king dog, Mike Richards.
Yup Mike Richards sucks, everyone sucks. Lets go kill ourselves, but you first

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd be shocked if it wasn't more... that was textbook, and he's a nobody the NHL can make a statement with without ruffling too many feathers.
It was the guy in the grassy noll. I don't think he even made contact, doubt he gets anything.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yup Mike Richards sucks, everyone sucks. Lets go kill ourselves, but you first
See, was that too hard? Now you are getting it. That is passion.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Last season it was an inconsistent year, winning in a shootout to make it into the playoffs. Last season over the last twelve games they were 4-8. Clutch baby.
... and made the Stanley Cup Final.

You preach that the performance of the individuals doesn't matter until the playoffs, so how is the performance of the team any different?

Even though the match-up in last year's first round was favourable, there was a lot of pessimism on this board. The same thing is happening again this year but I couldn't care less how the final two games go if the boys win 16 between April 11th and the middle of June.

They're playing like **** right now and the criticisms are well deserved. I won't be worried until they show they're incapable of closing out a 7-game series, though.

04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Do you write Richies postgame presser answers?

Old
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
It was the guy in the grassy noll. I don't think he even made contact, doubt he gets anything.
...you could see his head move as the elbow made contact.

I sometimes wonder if you even watch the games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
... and made the Stanley Cup Final.

You preach that the performance of the individuals doesn't matter until the playoffs, so how is the performance of the team any different?

Even though the match-up in last year's first round was favourable, there was a lot of pessimism on this board. The same thing is happening again this year but I couldn't care less how the final two games go if the boys win 16 between April 11th and the middle of June.

They're playing like **** right now and the criticisms are well deserved. I won't be worried until they show they're incapable of closing out a 7-game series, though.
They cannot beat the likes of the Sens and Thrashers, and now you think this group can go on a tear? Their PP is ranked 20th in the league and looks like they should be ranked last. They have the best depth in the NHL but yet cannot beat teams who are last in the league.

This is not about flipping a switch and if it is for these guys it is a dangerous game to play, because while they are resting on their laurels teams like the Pens are winning games without their two best players. Be concerned, be very concerned.

And have some pride in your play and the fans who pay the ticket price to see you play at home.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
They cannot beat the likes of the Sens and Thrashers, and now you think this group can go on a tear? Their PP is ranked 20th in the league and looks like they should be ranked last. They have the best depth in the NHL but yet cannot beat teams who are last in the league.

This is not about flipping a switch and if it is for these guys it is a dangerous game to play, because while they are resting on their laurels teams like the Pens are winning games without their two best players. Be concerned, be very concerned.

And have some pride in your play and the fans who pay the ticket price to see you play at home.
Match-ups matter more than momentum and any of the first round opponents, outside of Tampa Bay, are favourable match-ups for the Flyers. You play the same team 4-7 times; everything that happened before that, outside of wear and tear, is irrelevant.

The Flyers have proven to be an elite team at even strength through 80 games, despite their complacency during the last couple of months. That's actually a positive going into the playoffs; we all know the whistles get tucked away in the post-season, so being the best team at even strength in any series will be to their benefit. The powerplay is a concern; still not worried, though.

I don't subscribe to the 'flipping the switch' mentality, so there's nothing to say there.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
...you could see his head move as the elbow made contact.

I sometimes wonder if you even watch the games.
He may have grazed his helmet but the contact elbow to head was minimal if at all. Smith sold the hit by laying dead for a minute.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
He may have grazed his helmet but the contact elbow to head was minimal if at all. Smith sold the hit by laying dead for a minute.

The elbow went right into his ear... unless you think Smith anticipated the blow matrix-style and bent his head towards his left shoulder.

No doubt he was selling it and fine, but in the current climate concerning head shots I doubt they're going to care all that much. A couple of games seems like the baseline to me... and they may give him more than that because he's a rookie call-up.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
The elbow went right into his ear... unless you think Smith anticipated the blow matrix-style and bent his head towards his left shoulder.

No doubt he was selling it and fine, but in the current climate concerning head shots I doubt they're going to care all that much. A couple of games seems like the baseline to me... and they may give him more than that because he's a rookie call-up.
My prediction is still "no suspension." Smith plays for a divisional rival of Campbell's son. However, if this happens to a Bruin, I bet he gets some games.

If you can't tell, I have zero faith in Campbell doing anything. He should. He likely won't.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote