HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Rangers moved...

Old
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Very few, IIRC. If this team ever moved, **** 'em. Would never root for a team that deserted its fans.
I have to agree with Johnathan on this one.

Considering I was a die hard Yankees fan growing up and the last player strike just sucked that love right out of me. Knowing myself, I would probably disown the team moving, and probabaly just drop the NHL all together. I have a local NCAA D1 team I root for and would just focus on them and spend my money on season tickets with them instead of the 1 or 2 NYR games I can afford currently.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Interesting topic...one which I've sorta had with other people before..but only from the stand point of, what if the team just left, and was never replaced. Never thought about if the team were to come back a few years later, in almost the same form, ala the Cleveland Browns in the 90's. so forgive me if this is long and rambling..but I don't wanna just give a generic answer here.

I root for the jersey mostly. That's probably the only thing that kept me a fan during the late 90's/early 2000's, as I hated almost every player from that time frame, NOT named Messier, Richter, Leetch or Graves (Matt Barnaby was probably my favorite player from that era).

But in particular, as an organization, I have a LOT of problems with the Rangers. Ownership really could care less about the fans, or the team for that matter. I mean, I we've played 2nd class citizens to the Knicks for years, when a.) we were here first, and b.) we've been better then them for a long time now, and have actually won a championship in the last 40 years. And please, spare me the whole "basketball is more popular then hockey" argument, cause I really DON'T care..basketball can bite me. Garbage sport, and the Knicks are a garbage team.

Anyway..if this Ranger organization as currently constituted, up'ed and left (and hopefully took the Knicks with them), I would be heart broken, cause I love the Rangers jersey, the logo, the Garden, our history, and I do love the players now, but I loathe the organization as a whole. So, I would definitely follow the players on this team, and root for them, but I'd also probably become a Blackhawks fan as they are my 2nd favorite team. And then when a new, New York Rangers team came into existence, as long as the jerseys, the logos, etc. were all the same, and they played at a place called Madison Square Garden, I would go back to them...but I have a feeling it wouldn't be the same, cause all the history, the jerseys up in the rafters, the thrilling playoff wins, the Stanley cup in 94.. that would all be gone..they'd be with the current organization, wherever they were.

Omg...Let's hope that NEVER happens!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 04-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

What if the Rangers moved to Hartford and became the "new" Hartford Whalers. Would "old" Whalers fans now root for the "new" Whalers? Would Rangers fans root for the Whalers? What if the "new" Hartford Whalers established an AHL team in NYC called the "NY Range"?

I think I just gave myself a bloody nose...

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
As I probably have the least hate for the Devils out of anyone here, I will say this. If the Rangers ever moved, that's the day I become an out and out Devils fan.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
As I probably have the least hate for the Devils out of anyone here, I will say this. If the Rangers ever moved, that's the day I become an out and out Devils fan.
Lol..

Really?

I'm freaking married to one, and I don't know if I could do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen North View Post
What if the Rangers moved to Hartford and became the "new" Hartford Whalers. Would "old" Whalers fans now root for the "new" Whalers? Would Rangers fans root for the Whalers? What if the "new" Hartford Whalers established an AHL team in NYC called the "NY Range"?

I think I just gave myself a bloody nose...
Lol..then I would just say **** 'em both, and become a full time Hershey Bears fan!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 04-06-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
lol, I'd follow the Sabres before the Devils, Islanders, Flyers, Penguins or Bruins. Actually I would follow any other team in the league before those. So as a result, I'd follow my Rangers wherever they moved. If a new Rangers came, then I'd make a decision, otherwise if the Rangers just moved? I'd follow them. My hatred for the other local teams is too strong.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Very few, IIRC. If this team ever moved, **** 'em. Would never root for a team that deserted its fans.
This. My choices would lie between rooting for the "new" Rangers or swearing off hockey altogether.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
This. My choices would lie between rooting for the "new" Rangers or swearing off hockey altogether.
I could NEVER do that. Love the game way too much.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Lol..

Really?

I'm freaking married to one, and I don't know if I could do that.

Lol..then I would just say **** 'em both, and become a full time Hershey Bears fan!
Family used to be a Devils season ticket holder. I used to root for both the Rangers and the Devils. Then Brodeur started being a ********* piece of ****, so I stopped outright rooting for them. Once that jackass retires, I will be very happy.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Family used to be a Devils season ticket holder. I used to root for both the Rangers and the Devils. Then Brodeur started being a ********* piece of ****, so I stopped outright rooting for them. Once that jackass retires, I will be very happy.
Lol..first hockey game I ever went to was a Devils game with my dad, and I too rooted for both, until 1992...when I had to make a choice! My ex-wife and her family were all Devils fans, my current wife and her family are all Devils fans..you would think it's only a matter of time before it happens...but it hasn't..and I will do everything in my F***ING power to make sure it doesn't!!