HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello status (4/18: Sent back down)

Old
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
babyshamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Guy is worn out. He'll be back next season.

He looked great in the game against Portland even tough he played a lot of minutes. Must have played somewhere around 20 min and that was his 3rd game in 4 days. It looked like he was everywhere on the ice and he was working very hard, did not look worn out at all.

Rumour has it that Rangers are going to release him to play for Norway in the World Championships, it has not been confirmed.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
He looked great in the game against Portland even tough he played a lot of minutes. Must have played somewhere around 20 min and that was his 3rd game in 4 days. It looked like he was everywhere on the ice and he was working very hard, did not look worn out at all.

Rumour has it that Rangers are going to release him to play for Norway in the World Championships, it has not been confirmed.
From one aspect, I like those news. It means they care about him (and since I believe that Zucc has great potential and that we only have seen the start of it (he has developed tremendously every year the last 4 years when I've seen him, I see no reason for why he should stop developing this year... I believe that he will be a lot better next season then this season) I believe thats good for us).

If they did not believe in him, they'd probably play him till he drop's in any possible role. If they are willing to release him they obviously want to invest in him. Great news in a sense, if true. It sounds a bit odd though for sure.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Dagh

vCash: 987
I would have thought the Rangers insisting on him playing the AHL playoffs would have been better news for him, in regards to them believing in him, but as a Norwegian I'd be very pleased to see him help our teamin the WC.

Dagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
Actually there was an article in the paper not long ago where it was stated that the Rangers will NOT release Zuccarello to play for team Norway for as long as the Rangers/Whale are still playing.
I think that is good for him and his developement, if he wants to play in the NHL long term, he needs to play as much hockey in NA as possible IMO. Keep learning the style of play etc... Personally I would much rather see him succeed in the NHL than on our national team. If he does well in the NHL, it will attract more publicity for hockey in the media in Norway than if he plays for team Norway. Publicity is crucial in order for Norwegian hockey to grow. Zuccarello both as a person and player is a perfect poster boy for young hockey players in Norway. He has had to overcome a lot to get to where he is today and it shows that as long as you love hockey and is passionate about what you are doing like Mats is, anything is possible.

Last edited by TrueBlueNorwegian: 04-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Personally, I think he should be back up for the Cally injury.

But it is what it is, I suppose.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Dagh

vCash: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

With him starting to produce in the AHL pretty much immediately after being sent down, don't you think there's an argument to be made that he isn't exactly tired, but rather not quite strong enough to make enough room for himself in the NHL yet?

Dagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
blupride99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagh View Post
With him starting to produce in the AHL pretty much immediately after being sent down, don't you think there's an argument to be made that he isn't exactly tired, but rather not quite strong enough to make enough room for himself in the NHL yet?
I think it was confidence. He was sitting.. playing maybe 5 mins a game. That'll mess with your head.

blupride99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Placid

I think that he is simply able to lower his shoulders a bit when playing in the AHL. He is not going to have an irate Torts yelling how he was 3 inches out of position and that he is benched for the next millenium, nor half the city of New York ready to crucify him if he makes a mistake (exaggerated, just to make a point)

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I know it was a joke, but I think more people like Zuccarello and accepted him and didn't get on him too badly when he started to struggle.

I've seen a lot worse.

Zuccarello's problem isn't attitude, effort, or skill.

Its strength and skating.

He needs to be a more powerful skater so he can win races to the puck and be able skate passed anyone and be hard to catch.

And he needs to be stronger so he can fend off bigger guys on the boards.

If he improves those two things he can be an impact player in the NHL for a long time.

Smaller guys can be successful, they just need to recognize their weaknesses and improve them.

Over the summer get him a power skating instructor, get him in the weight room, and send him to a reputable karate dojo in a style like Goju-Ryu or Gracie/Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu...seriously, there he will learn that size doesn't matter if you know how to handle yourself.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Biggest newspaper in Norway had a piece on him today on how he could be involved in two playoff's and still make it in time to play for Norway in the world cup..

Also the national coach just got back from meetings with Rangers and said that Rangers was willing to perhaps let him play for Norway after both Ranger's and Whale's were out of the play of's...

Link to Norwegian article, google translate if you want;

http://www.vg.no/sport/ishockey/arti...artid=10091831

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Due to his size, if Zucc doesn't become a 60+ pt player within the next 2-3 seasons, then he shouldn't be in the NHL. There are plenty of guys that can score 40-50 pts, but can also add more of a physical game.
Hes more physical than W2 thats for sure. Lack of size does not mean you cant play physical, just look at Cally whos not much bigger.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
blixt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Which players instead of Zucc can do it ok?

blixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blixt View Post
I guess they think Chris Drury can.

I would bet that since Zucc seems to be comfortable and scoring in the A, they don't want to drag him right back in immediately.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
KenGuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixt View Post

Well, Drury is back on saturday I suppose. He is after all the captain and can bring alot of experience into the playoffs. When many players are tired now I hope Drury is motivated and hungry.

KenGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
TigerJack

If they want to win against NJ and still have hopes for PO, they should bring up Zucc. Chris Drury has 4 points in 23 games this year. All assists. Pretty much says it all.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:32 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
If they want to win against NJ and still have hopes for PO, they should bring up Zucc. Chris Drury has 4 points in 23 games this year. All assists. Pretty much says it all.
If I got this right,they're not allowed to bring him up,if not another player on The Rangers are hurt.
And personally,I think his benefit more playing big minutes for The Whale at this moment.
He come back strong next season.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 05:58 AM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
If I got this right,they're not allowed to bring him up,if not another player on The Rangers are hurt.
And personally,I think his benefit more playing big minutes for The Whale at this moment.
He come back strong next season.
That depends on if they have called up someone after Callahan´s injury? i believe the called up no one and instead the put Gilroy as a RW.....

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid View Post
I think that he is simply able to lower his shoulders a bit when playing in the AHL. He is not going to have an irate Torts yelling how he was 3 inches out of position and that he is benched for the next millenium, nor half the city of New York ready to crucify him if he makes a mistake (exaggerated, just to make a point)

If he cant handle yelling or expectations from coaches then he`s nothing to do in the NHL.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I know it was a joke, but I think more people like Zuccarello and accepted him and didn't get on him too badly when he started to struggle.

I've seen a lot worse.

Zuccarello's problem isn't attitude, effort, or skill.

Its strength and skating.

He needs to be a more powerful skater so he can win races to the puck and be able skate passed anyone and be hard to catch.

And he needs to be stronger so he can fend off bigger guys on the boards.

If he improves those two things he can be an impact player in the NHL for a long time.

Smaller guys can be successful, they just need to recognize their weaknesses and improve them.

Over the summer get him a power skating instructor, get him in the weight room, and send him to a reputable karate dojo in a style like Goju-Ryu or Gracie/Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu...seriously, there he will learn that size doesn't matter if you know how to handle yourself.
Sounds like a good plan

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I don't think Rangers called up someone after Cally's injury, so I suppose they can call up somebody if the feel they need it...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

If we lose a shootout that gets us in again people are gonna go batship in this thread

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
That gif never gets old, hahaha.

Agreed about him needing to get bigger and faster. If he can do that, he's golden.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
finger11

JimCerny: The #NYR have recalled Mats Zuccarello from #CTWhale..am on my way to practice now...

finger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
ribbet

Yeah, per Rangers facebook, Zuc is up for the Devils game.

ribbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Thank God.... even if he's in Torts dog house ... keep him for the shootout

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote