HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Gilroy - RW

Old
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I like the idea, I just don't like the time of year for the idea. I think Matt has a skill set that can certainly be tweaked for the offensive side of things. He seems to "want" to go down low in the other team's zone. I'm not sure this is a fair shot for him, though.
I agree. But fair or not this seem like MG's last shot to prove his worth...

I hope Torts sees something that the rest of us have not...otherwise it seems like crap timing to try something like this.

You can get scored on quite a bit in the 5min he's on the ice.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Rather have Zuccarello back, honestly.
my guess is that torts has no plans to use his 4th line on thursday. he will shorten the bench of go with 3 lines and i wouldn't be surprised if some shifts avery and ec get will be with gaborik getting double shifted. and therefore that line won't get enough ice time to justify calling zuke back up.

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Black Tank

4 mins a night isn't going to make much of a difference either way. For that little time, Gilroy is going to be just as effective as MZA or Newbury and if if one of the D gets nicked or banged up we can go with 3 lines + doubleshifting and have him back on D.

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best b/c losing Callahan dealt us a very bad hand.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Pizza

I've been saying to myself that some of the talk regarding Drury has been excessive, even given his steep decline. Now that Cally's injured, and given Dru's solid playoff experience and performance, I'm hoping he gets a chance to redeem himself.

To many teams he played for Dru was what Cally is to us now. Seems weird that I even have to put that in writing.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

I smell The Dallas Eakins Experiment part 2.

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Hockey2000nyr

Actually i find this development kind of funny, I remember when the Rangers first signed Gilroy i was talking to my old High School hockey coach who actually had played with Gilroy when he was younger. He said that Gilroy at best would be a 3rd pairing defenseman with decent offensive upside. He then added that Gilroy would most likely make it in the NHL as a forward, as he would be better suited to take advantage of his speed. He said he would have 3rd line/2nd line upside

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
What exactly does Zucc bring to the table for the playoffs? Even if Drury isn't scoring goals, he's at least someone that can be trusted on the ice, can win a defensive zone faceoff when you need it, can kill penalties.

Not that Zuc doesn't, but Drury's style of play epitomizes what our identity is. He may not be in his prime anymore, and he may be a step behind with the injuries he's had this year, but I'd much rather have Drury on the roster than Zuc right now.
Really? I guess were goin to have to see how Drury looks with the whole season of rest and rehab. He better damn sure bring 120% intensity or else your statement is bogus about him better than Zuxx. With regards to Gilroy its the same thing he better get hard on the forecheck and grind or else hell find the bench very early and prob be the end of his season. But i will say i have seen some flashes of him against the boards more often than in the defensive zone so maybe hes more suited as a forward. Give it a try, like i said will get a good idea after the first period or two.

Last edited by satrabyk: 04-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Drury hasn't scored a goal in 2011.

What makes you think he'll have a good playoffs?
We have a team that is built on defense and yet chases the puck alot. Why? Partly because we lose alot of faceoffs especially on the PK when we are outmanned. Don't minimize the value Dru will bring on the PK. Also, as 4th line center, even at his advanced age he has the ability to score dirty goals. He will help.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen North View Post
I smell The Dallas Eakins Experiment part 2.
no, that was called Jason Strudwick.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

How can we say Drury has the ability to score dirty goals when he showed the complete opposite this year? I'd rather have him than Gilroy or MZA for the playoffs but that's it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Leetch66

Having a 7th guy against Jersey might be good insurance . Gilroy would help on the forecheck with his speed even without pasting anybody into the boards .

Speed causes turnovers and the Devils are not that swift in their own backend IMO . Zucc just was not cutting it . Gilroy can also help the PP because at least he will shoot the puck without spending 5 minutes teeing it up before blasting it at the net...which would be a big change for our team who have to be the absolute worst at point shots on the PP .

Go Gilroy go !!! Who knows...he might be desperate now and will be looking for a contract for next year...one can only hope !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Having a 7th guy against Jersey might be good insurance . Gilroy would help on the forecheck with his speed even without pasting anybody into the boards .

Speed causes turnovers and the Devils are not that swift in their own backend IMO . Zucc just was not cutting it . Gilroy can also help the PP because at least he will shoot the puck without spending 5 minutes teeing it up before blasting it at the net...which would be a big change for our team who have to be the absolute worst at point shots on the PP .

Go Gilroy go !!! Who knows...he might be desperate now and will be looking for a contract for next year...one can only hope !

Gilroy isn't very fast, I'd say Zucc has more speed than Gilroy. Gilroy's a good skater in the sense that his skating looks nice with his stride, but he wasn't even very good at recovering from mistakes as a defenseman and was easily beaten to the outside a lot..

Also, you want him to shoot? He might have the worst shot in the NHL. That thing might be slower than Gomez's. I think I'd rather have Boogard shooting than gilroy..

Anyway, I guess he'll be fine as a warm body on the 4th line, but Zucc would make a lot more sense..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Cmox

Tonight!

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I'm pretty convinced that they are doing this for comedic relief.

They are using it as a way to keep the rest of the team loose during the game because he gives them something to laugh at.

04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
no, that was called Jason Strudwick.
at this point id rather have jason strudwick over matt gilroy. .

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote