HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is anyone NOT worried?

Old
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Match-ups matter more than momentum and any of the first round opponents, outside of Tampa Bay, are favourable match-ups for the Flyers. You play the same team 4-7 times; everything that happened before that, outside of wear and tear, is irrelevant.

The Flyers have proven to be an elite team at even strength through 80 games, despite their complacency during the last couple of months. That's actually a positive going into the playoffs; we all know the whistles get tucked away in the post-season, so being the best team at even strength in any series will be to their benefit. The powerplay is a concern; still not worried, though.

I don't subscribe to the 'flipping the switch' mentality, so there's nothing to say there.
Since 2/20 the Flyers have lost to Phx, Ott, Tor, Buff, Rangers(7-0), Atlanta, Atlanta, Wash, Pitt, Bos, Atl, NJ, Rangers, and Sens.

Do we really have good matchups when they get beat the by the Thrashers three times over the last month of the season and twice to the Sens?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
My prediction is still "no suspension." Smith plays for a divisional rival of Campbell's son. However, if this happens to a Bruin, I bet he gets some games.

If you can't tell, I have zero faith in Campbell doing anything. He should. He likely won't.
It happened to a Canadian team... which usually will lead to something happening.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It happened to a Canadian team... which usually will lead to something happening.
Ottawa seems to be "meh" about the whole thing, so we'll see.

edit: based on the main board here. I haven't searched their media.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
A new coach???? The core players have had 2 coaches on the opposite ends of the coaching spectrum and look what happened to the other.

I think it's time to hold the players accountable

Finally, someone gets it.

Old
04-06-2011, 11:55 AM
El Dandy
I Against I

vCash: 50
This team has first round KO written all over them.

We have been waiting for a month for them to get out of this funk. They need to get their **** together and fast.

El Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Since 2/20 the Flyers have lost to Phx, Ott, Tor, Buff, Rangers(7-0), Atlanta, Atlanta, Wash, Pitt, Bos, Atl, NJ, Rangers, and Sens.

Do we really have good matchups when they get beat the by the Thrashers three times over the last month of the season and twice to the Sens?
I know you don't think so.

When it comes to meeting a team 4-7 times in the playoffs, previous results against non-playoff (and even playoff) teams means absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Finally, someone gets it.

You're hilarious.

04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
The elbow went right into his ear... unless you think Smith anticipated the blow matrix-style and bent his head towards his left shoulder.

No doubt he was selling it and fine, but in the current climate concerning head shots I doubt they're going to care all that much. A couple of games seems like the baseline to me... and they may give him more than that because he's a rookie call-up.
Come on, I gave you the video, look at it. He never touched the ear, Smith embellished the hit to sell the penalty. At the same time players cannot be penalized if players are going to fake injury.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Were just takin a pre playoffs nap. its gonna be a long couple a months. their not winnin any battles on the boards. no intensity. they obviously dont want injuries. they played hard against the rangers but they didnt care about ottawa. it would just be nice to not have to play tampa in round 1. gagne's revenge.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Come on, I gave you the video, look at it. He never touched the ear, Smith embellished the hit to sell the penalty. At the same time players cannot be penalized if players are going to fake injury.
Yes, and his elbow went right into the side of his head.

At the 2 minute mark of that video you can CLEARLY see his head jar from the impact of the elbow.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I know you don't think so.

When it comes to meeting a team 4-7 times in the playoffs, previous results against non-playoff (and even playoff) teams means absolutely nothing.
The Rangers would beat this team. We will see what happens tomorrow night to help give better insight to where this Flyers squad stands.

Quote:

You're hilarious.

Players need to be accountable, two coaches in just two years........time for the players to grow up and take pride in what they do on the ice, stop acting like a bunch of privileged, spoiled athletes.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
kicksave27

I'm not worried that my inability to afford play tickets this year will make me miss a cup winning run, cuz that ain't happening.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yes, and his elbow went right into the side of his head.

At the 2 minute mark of that video you can CLEARLY see his head jar from the impact of the elbow.
The Sens footage showed it the best, Smith whipped his head back from the legs being cut from under him not the "blow" to the head.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
The Sens footage showed it the best, Smith whipped his head back from the legs being cut from under him not the "blow" to the head.
Dude, you can LITERALLY see the moment of contact between elbow and head in that video at the 2 minute mark.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Were just takin a pre playoffs nap. its gonna be a long couple a months. their not winnin any battles on the boards. no intensity. they obviously dont want injuries. they played hard against the rangers but they didnt care about ottawa. it would just be nice to not have to play tampa in round 1. gagne's revenge.
Wow, the complacency has reached the fanbase.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Dude, you can LITERALLY see the moment of contact between elbow and head in that video at the 2 minute mark.
Love tap, the only thing Holmstrom did wrong was put his elbow out, but that was far from being a malicious hit. No previous history, no penalty, no suspension.

Old
04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Snipsnap12

I was preaching to stay calm all along, but last night was a reality check, there isnt much to say now, only 2 games left...we are heading into the playoffs, and the players just have to start fresh and remember what they are capable of.... I guess we will see which team shows up.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
The Rangers would beat this team. We will see what happens tomorrow night to help give better insight to where this Flyers squad stands.

Players need to be accountable, two coaches in just two years........time for the players to grow up and take pride in what they do on the ice, stop acting like a bunch of privileged, spoiled athletes.
The Rangers are garbage without Callahan.

I'm not worried.

Of course I have been a morphine pump induced, near-coma state of bliss for the last month. And I know absolutely nothing about hockey.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Mota

They played worse than this for a longer period of time down the stretch last year when it did matter...so no, I am not worried. They went into a weekend back to back with a pretty bad Rangers team last year, only had to win one game, looked like crap in the first game, and it came down to a shootout in the second game.

I really think the lack of effort this year is because they are saving themselves. You can just tell, the little hesitations of going into the corners or getting in the way of a shot are why they are getting beat. I'm staying optimistic, I think clinching the playoff spot put their minds at ease and now they are just trying not to get hurt. I think they a superior team to any of their possible 1st round opponents, and even if it takes them a game or two to get going, I think they'll come out on top.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Im not worried.

But I am ****ing scared ****less right about now.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
The Rangers would beat this team.
Wow. That is exactly how I thought you felt about this team. No faith at all.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:49 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
I was preaching to stay calm all along, but last night was a reality check, there isnt much to say now, only 2 games left...we are heading into the playoffs, and the players just have to start fresh and remember what they are capable of.... I guess we will see which team shows up.
I was at the game last night, it was P-A-I-N-F-U-L!!!! I am so pissed with this team right now, if my passions didn't run so deep, I would be in full boycott mode. Hopefully when Pronger and Briere come back and we play with some ungency, this team starts to look like it "should". I know the playoffs are a week away, but this group needs to understand - they won round 1 last year because unlike New Jersey, they were in playoff mode for a month leading up to the playoffs (Jersey was coasting like us).

If we don't start playing playoff hockey now, it will be an early summer for me. And that would be a complete disappointment. My frustration level is ALMOST with Cartsiephan right now. Almost. But Cartsie - I see your point. This team hasn't given me much to cheer in months

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I was at the game last night, it was P-A-I-N-F-U-L!!!! I am so pissed with this team right now, if my passions didn't run so deep, I would be in full boycott mode. Hopefully when Pronger and Briere come back and we play with some ungency, this team starts to look like it "should". I know the playoffs are a week away, but this group needs to understand - they won round 1 last year because unlike New Jersey, they were in playoff mode for a month leading up to the playoffs (Jersey was coasting like us).

If we don't start playing playoff hockey now, it will be an early summer for me. And that would be a complete disappointment. My frustration level is ALMOST with Cartsiephan right now. Almost. But Cartsie - I see your point. This team hasn't given me much to cheer in months
true we were playing "playoff hockey" but we were losing at that going 3-8-1 in the final 12 games. Im not sure out of any of our deep runs recently we have been hot going into the playoffs. I think this team is just full of players that give it their all when it truly counts

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:58 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Love tap, the only thing Holmstrom did wrong was put his elbow out, but that was far from being a malicious hit. No previous history, no penalty, no suspension.
regardless, it was an east-west hit with contact to the head. Should at least be a game. Otherwise the NHL flunks another.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

If the Flyers lose to Buffalo on friday, then yeah I'll be VERY worried.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:30 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
If the Flyers lose to Buffalo on friday, then yeah I'll be VERY worried.
Before the Ottawa game, I predicted a 2-goal loss to Ottawa, followed by a lot of lip service before the Buffalo game - which will be a one-goal loss. Then a beating of the Islanders.

All while Pitts wins out and takes the division.

So far I'm 1/3 of the way there. And yes, I'm worried.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote