HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

This teams missing something ?

Old
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
This teams missing something ?

Seems this team is missing the one thing that seemed to be the glue that sparked this team when they needed it most.....Lappy !I keep waiting for the big hit, the big blocked shot, the big fight, and most importantly the big in your face attitude that he displayed daily on the ice.
We are no where close to being a high intensity physical hockey club that plays with the EDGE that lappy brought to the locker room and to the ice.It seems that even though our club is near the top of the division etc, we are lacking in the intensity and desire phase of the game that is crucial come play off time.....We have a very talented club skill wise, but somebody better step up soon so this club can complete the mission that was started late last season....I can only hope that come April 13th this team can find that energy and sense of MISSION that lappy seemed to personify late last year.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Seems this team is missing the one thing that seemed to be the glue that sparked this team when they needed it most.....Lappy !I keep waiting for the big hit, the big blocked shot, the big fight, and most importantly the big in your face attitude that he displayed daily on the ice.
We are no where close to being a high intensity physical hockey club that plays with the EDGE that lappy brought to the locker room and to the ice.It seems that even though our club is near the top of the division etc, we are lacking in the intensity and desire phase of the game that is crucial come play off time.....We have a very talented club skill wise, but somebody better step up soon so this club can complete the mission that was started late last season....I can only hope that come April 13th this team can find that energy and sense of MISSION that lappy seemed to personify late last year.
I'm not sure you can pin it on Lappy...to me it's more Richards who for whatever reason is not playing his usual intense self. He kind of admitted this himself yesterday after the debacle when he said the intensity was lacking and it starts with him..something along those lines (quoted it in another thread) and that starting friday things will change....we shall see.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Yeah. I can agree with that to an extent. I don't know that he'd be the difference maker right now, but he brought a LOT to the team.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Here is Richards' comment

Quote:
ďA lack of intensity and focus for these game led by me and itís gotta change and itís going to change starting Friday,Ē Richards vowed. ďItís extremely frustrating. Itís tough to come into a building when we desperately need the points and just not play well.Ē

Old
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Is this the first comment you've ever read by Richards?

It's the way he always speaks and always has. He takes the blame for everything the team does wrong, and none of the credit when the he or the team does well. It's just the way he is.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
KUMBAYA my fans KUMBAYA, Richards holds the "switch", KUMBAYA.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Is this the first comment you've ever read by Richards?

It's the way he always speaks and always has. He takes the blame for everything the team does wrong, and none of the credit when the he or the team does well. It's just the way he is.
First one where he specifically phrased it in the manner in which he did..I've seen plenty of him taking the blame. He may have verbatim said the one I just cited but sorry I don't record every statement he makes..I have a full-time job except today I suppose...

Old
04-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Swiper the Fox

watch how much more confident they'll play with ML in net friday/saturday

won't be 2 or 3 guys hanging around the goalie looking for something to 'squirt through' liek that have been lately

and with different attitude comes different confidence
just an opinion

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
CharlieGirl

You know the biggest thing missing?

Sanity, from Flyers fans.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post

won't be 2 or 3 guys hanging around the goalie looking for something to 'squirt through' liek that have been lately

and with different attitude comes different confidence
just an opinion
What!? uh...That's what they had to do with MFL nonstop. It's the biggest reason he ever looked good. Because he lacks talent.

Old
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
I remember back in 05-06 wondering if it would've lifted or motivated the team if Primeau was on the bench. I wonder the same about Lappy.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Snipsnap12

wouldnt a guy like bill guerin be a nice commodity right now?.... anyway I have said before while richie is the leader, captain, and spark this team feeds off of, I think our success runs through briere. When briere is on fire(start of the season, and last years playoffs) this team is hard to stop...it seems to open it up for everyone else, and he seems to bring that winning mentality.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

You know what...when you think about it..some people are angry at the lack of effort and intensity and have called for the AHL'rs to play in the last couple of games as a jab. It's thus fitting that Leighton ..the perennial AHLer is one of the first one's to fulfill the fan's requests....

Old
04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Villedelphia*

gagne

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
04' hockey

yeah.....

camaraderie

since the All Star break

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Seems this team is missing the one thing that seemed to be the glue that sparked this team when they needed it most.....Lappy !
Pah, without question. You can replace production, but not the guys who do what he does. The fans miss him, but I bet "the room" does even more. I know I'd feel a lot better if he were around.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
Honestly, this team seems to operate out of necessity.

While I expect a better performance Friday, I'm not sure whether or not it will be because the team is in a position to fall backwards with their backs against the wall or because of the necessity to play legitimate defense with Leighton between the pipes.

It was interesting how the necessity of the worst goaltender we've ever seen seemed to have awoken the Flyers from a slumber last season. Whether or not that's how it really happened is not necessarily important though.

Leighton, as much as I hate him, is going to get his shot. We'll see how it goes.

That said, I still don't know what to expect now going into the playoffs though anything short of a Stanley Cup this year is a disappointment.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
wouldnt a guy like bill guerin be a nice commodity right now?....
yeah and so would Gretzky, or maybe we can dig up Rocket Richard

Old
04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
yeah and so would Gretzky, or maybe we can dig up Rocket Richard
guerin was an actual possibility though....

Old
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
guerin was an actual possibility though....
And was less effective than the worm ridden remains of Richard

Old
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
And was less effective than the worm ridden remains of Richard
The Rocket probably could've skated faster, that's for sure.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I've always thought this franchise needs a vocal, blood and guts type leader. Take a look at some of the past captains of the franchise and you'll see they've all got that "it" when it came to leadership. Not only that, but there was also an element of fear and respect in that nobody ever crossed the captain. I don't get that from this group. People can say what they want, but there needs to be some sort of hierarchy in terms of captain and subordinates. Everyone is just so friendly on this team that it seems like the captain doesn't want to rock the boat. I think Mike needs to separate himself from being everyone's friend and be the leader he can be. Unfortunately, this is a learning curve that he'll have to figure out on his own

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
facts

As a young captain his job is to draw players in not call players out. This is a young team, if Richards calls out his peers he is talking to deaf ears in a heartbeat. His junior credits and international creditals don't mean as much at this time of year, his example has to be paramount. Kimmo and Pronger can be in your face, Pronger more so as he has done it all, but he recognizes that he has been away for 14 games and is in no position to critique when he isn't involved. obviously there has been something missing since the Christmas game in Vancouver. We see it and the players know it! I personally have been waiting for Friday for 3 months.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
agrudez*

This team is missing a... TRIAL BY FIRE!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Snipsnap12

an equal fate as their opponent