HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2011, 10:40 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
I personally think when someone is starting out...machines are great. They allow you to learn the range of motion that is often times way better. You get your muscle memory built up, and then I would switch to dumbbells. I am always about getting the most out of the least, which I'm sure everybody is, and dumbbells will give you that. They work those wee tiny muscles, which won't get you the girls, but if you're looking for functional strength, you'll be noticeably stronger if on a dumbbell regimen.

Old
04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberts View Post
Best time to go to the gym is as soon as you wake up. That way you get the full benifit throughout the day and you don't waste the metabolism boost. In addition, your energy level will be higher throughout the day.
I've heard both theories on this. I think Cole said it here, but scientific tests have shown that there is more benefit going to the gym at 2-4 PM. Something to do with testosterone, and then spikes your metabolism to it's highest point before one of your biggest calorie meal (depending on your diet). It is also sort of natural, because you're lifting and then more than likely eating right after, which will allow you to get more protein in your body.

I am with you about lifting in the morning. It spikes my energy all day, it seems, and I just generally feel better. I will say though, I tend to be more hungry throughout the day if I lift in the morning since my breakfast would usually come before I lifted. I'd be resorting to snack times to replenish, where as lunch was always a low calorie thing for me (i.e. a cobb salad or something), so I wouldn't get a nice shot of calories until dinner.

I don't think it matters, but I would definitely lean more towards the 2-4 PM as the best time to lift, though for me personally, the morning makes me generally feel better.

Old
04-03-2011, 12:18 AM
66-29-33

I'd lift between 2-4 but i work at those times, and i wont lift in the morning because i can't seem to adapt to a morning habbit, even with an 8-9 hour sleep. I normally get between 6-7 now anyway. I love the nightlife aswell. Morning is too early for me.

Old
04-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Bluefan75

startingstrength.com

Order the book, and or the DVD. I would suggest both,but if funds are limited, go with the type of learner you are(visual or bookreader.)

And there are plenty of articles on there to address many of the questions.

He is very upfront about the program's end goal: strength. You won't get "ripped" on this program, because the goal is to lift more each workout. Once you can't do that, then you move on to things that more fit with what kind of activities you do, but to start out, you just want to get strong.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:22 AM
66-29-33

Ok so i'm going 5 days a week now for 90 mins, so in 6 months or so i'll bump this with my results by then. Maybe i'll have done p90x by then....gotta train for it a little so i'm atleast able to manage. Already lost 10 pounds in 4 days along with 5 inches along my waist.

I saw this guy at the gym before i started, still there after i left...he had THICK arms and build....i was gonna ask how long he goes to the gym for but it kinda seems a little weird asking a guy that, think i'm hitting on him or something so i didn't ask but he was pretty built for like 5 foot 6. I'm not into guys...just wondering how he does his build and for how long.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:28 AM
DreamBeaut

I'll never understand guys that want to be huge like that.

Big? Yeah. Huge? Hell nah

Old
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
JTG

The thing with being incredibly muscular is that you have to keep it up. Once you quit lifting you look way more flabby than you did before.

Lean is definitely the way to go, IMO, but different strokes for different folks. I also find it funny because I always just built lean, natural muscle. No supplements, nothing like that, and was just as strong as kids who were gigantic. Difference is, they were taking stuff that made them look huge, and held water weight. Big =/= strong necessarily. Some of the leanest kids I have seen have been the strongest.

I had a friend who was maybe 165 at his heaviest, and he would go in the gym and rep 265 lbs on the bench, and people would stand around in amazement that this "scrawny" kid was able to do that. I'll always remember that, and that's sort of what I shoot for when I lift. So unsuspecting, but that's what is awesome, IMO.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
The thing with being incredibly muscular is that you have to keep it up. Once you quit lifting you look way more flabby than you did before.

Lean is definitely the way to go, IMO, but different strokes for different folks. I also find it funny because I always just built lean, natural muscle. No supplements, nothing like that, and was just as strong as kids who were gigantic. Difference is, they were taking stuff that made them look huge, and held water weight. Big =/= strong necessarily. Some of the leanest kids I have seen have been the strongest.

I had a friend who was maybe 165 at his heaviest, and he would go in the gym and rep 265 lbs on the bench, and people would stand around in amazement that this "scrawny" kid was able to do that. I'll always remember that, and that's sort of what I shoot for when I lift. So unsuspecting, but that's what is awesome, IMO.
Agreed - lean muscle is the way to go. I tried some crash diets to gain weight and most of it ended up being fat.

I'm skinny again, but my strength is still pretty decent. When people see me deadlifting 275 it definitely turns some heads.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
DreamBeaut

anybody have dieting tips?

this is the one thing I've never been able to get down... hard time getting in the frame of mind, but I hate how flabby my lower body is

Old
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

I've been going every other day during the week. I used to go 7 days a week, but that just tore up my body and I felt like crap. I've actually been gaining strength and muscle by easing up on how many days I go. I go every Fri-Sat-Sun and I'll pick one or two days from Mon-Thurs. So far so good.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kennedy View Post

this is the one thing I've never been able to get down... hard time getting in the frame of mind, but I hate how flabby my lower body is
I've been doing one meal per day. Most magazines will tell you to eat small meals all day and they're probably right, but I love food too much. I'll do a glass of OJ in the morning, a pb&j or a protein shake during the day, and nothing else until a massive 2000 cal meal at night. Maybe I'm going crazy, but I'm starting to get slimmer and I'm gaining strength.

Old
04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kennedy View Post

What has always worked for me is smaller meals throughout the day. I don't follow Atkins, but for weight loss, some things the plan says as far as how body chemistry works is true (especially when it comes to blood sugar and things.) You want to eat small meals that keep your blood sugar at an even keel. You don't have the up's and you don't have the downs. If you can master this, your body is going to always be burning calories and fat, and will never enter starvation mode, which usually leads to gorging.

Time of eating is just as important as what you're eating. Think of your body as a fire. Throwing in things like cake, cookies, white bread, bleached flour, and the like is like throwing kindling on a fire. Quickly burns up (body processes simple carbs quicker), it burns hot (short burst of energy), and you then have to quickly put more wood on to get the fire to burn (they simple carbs become wasted calories because you get very little, if any benefit from them), and your body constantly needs more and more and more to keep going, hence, blowing any sort of ability to follow a calorie reduced diet.

Eating complex carbs and lean meats are like through logs on the fire. The are big, they burn for a while, and you can get a real efficient burn if you use them. Blood sugar constantly stays level, so your body doesn't switch modes, and it is constantly eating away at stored calories.

If you eat about 2000-2400 calories a day in lean meats and complex carbs throughout the day, coupled with cardio that stokes your metabolism, you'll very seriously start see weight falling off of you. When I do this, I have lost upwards of 40 lbs in 6 weeks (admittedly, I would lose 8-10 lbs the first week-10 days or so, then consistently lose 5-6 lbs a week.)

I wouldn't follow Atkins, but I'd read the website...atkins.com.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
cassius

Great post JTG. Lots of good info there.

I went to a physiologist and wore an armband that calculates how many calories I burn per day. Turns out, it's around 2800cals on days when I lift and 2500cals on normal workdays.

I got an insane metabolism, but I still try to pack in at least 3000 cals on days when I lift and 2600 or so on maintenance days. I usually end up undereating, but its tough to pack in all those calories each day. Milk is a big help.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
startingstrength.com

Order the book, and or the DVD. I would suggest both,but if funds are limited, go with the type of learner you are(visual or bookreader.)

And there are plenty of articles on there to address many of the questions.

Triple this post.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

I'm a 30 year old, avid non-competitive powerlifter now, and if I had to do it all again I'd start on a starting strength type program and not waste time and energy on bullcrap pullies and doing curls. 75%+ of the your time in the gym should be spent on the powerlifts and their variations. They have built monstrous, strong men for over a century well before the foo-foo nautilus machines of the 80s.

Press, Bench, Deadlift, (BACK) Squats

Especially at the beginning, but pretty much always: Strength gains + food = size gains.

Old
04-06-2011, 02:43 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I'm starting to wonder if I'm taking in enough calories. My typical diet for the day is roughly:

Breakfast - Protein shake + banana or Oatmeal + banana or Egg whites + turkey sausage

Snack - string cheese or raw almonds

Lunch - 98% fat free ham and reduced fat cheese sandwhich on whole wheat pita or wheat break, either baked lays or soy crisps, and string cheese or veggie "platter"

Dinner - Combination of 2 or 3 of the following - fish (salmon, cod, etc), chicken breast, turkey meatloaf, broccoli, salad, brown rice, etc. (that kind of stuff)

I'm doing p90x and haven't missed a workout yet and I definitely notice my chest, shoulders, lats, and arms starting to get back to where they were. I'm happy with those results so far, for sure.

I notice pants are fitting better, but I thought after almost 4 weeks there would be more of a pronounced change in my stomach/sides. That's pretty much my only "problem" area.

Wondering if I need to eat more to keep my metabolism going or if I just need to give it more time. I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, just get more lean.

Old
04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
JTG

Calculating calories is hard because there no firm rule of how calorie burning works. Some people just rapidly burn calories. Some people (like myself) don't. I have to do heavy cardio and weight lifting to stoke my metabolism, but once I get it rolling, I'm pretty set.

It's really trial and error, and to be very honest, I'm not sure how that works for some people. Some people can lose weight eating 1800 calories a day. I can't. I have to eat about 2200 calories a day, but I'm also a bit bigger.

If you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't dip under 2000 calories, but again, that's based on my body chemistry. I've seen guys lose a ton of weight eating low calorie foods (a lot of spinach salads with chicken breast, mostly). Those guys eat a lot, but would be at, or around 1500 calories a day.

Something I've also found...eat a big ass breakfast. I'm talking huge. 500-800 calories with mass amount of fiber and protein. If I do that, I can seriously not eat until 2 in the afternoon. The best weight loss I've ever had is when my biggest meal of the day was breakfast. And you have to eat it like 30 mins within the time period of you waking up. That was incredibly hard to get used to because I'm just not hungry in the mornings but I would then not eat and then pound 1000 calories at lunch and be ready for my bed at 3 pm.

Here are a few simple keys to weight loss I have used that have worked...
1. 1 big breakfast, followed by 5 small meals
2. Never deprive yourself of carbohydrates (but make sure they are whole grain/high fiber).
3. Drink mass, and I mean MASS, amounts of water.
4. Do activity that sees your heart rate way up for about 35 mins
5. Have one meal a week where you eat whatever you want. I used to go to Fatheads or Mike and Tony's and just get the works. Gives you something to look forward to and smashes cravings pretty well (at least for me).
6. If you have a huge sweet tooth like me, have a bag of miniature chocolate bars/candies. I had a roommate that watched over them for me, and I would get 3 a day. Dark chocolate is the best sweet for you if you can stand the taste. I personally love it.
7. Anything that is high in fiber...eat it. Between that and water...it pretty much killed any hunger for me
8. Stay within 2000-2400 calories a day. If you can go under that...it's worth a try to see how your body responds. There's a certain point for every person where your body will not burn calories because you're not replenishing enough.
9. Try not to skip meals. This was hard for me because if I'm not hungry...I'm not hungry. I don't like eating when I'm not hungry. You will quickly shoot yourself in the foot if you don't eat regularly.
10. People here like hockey, and I'd assume there's a good portion who enjoy skating. Whether it be going to public skate or roller blading, skating is said to be the exercise that burns the most calories per min (not sure if it's true, but it makes sense since it's a whole body workout). In the summer, I usually roller blade 10 miles, 3 times a week. The other days will be high rep lifting.

Old
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I think I'm going to start eating more peanut butter. I've been mixing some in every once in a while, but I think that would be a good way to get more realtively healthy calories.

I seriously noticed more stomach changes when I was sporadically riding the stationary bike and half-assing weights and eating almost whatever I wanted the last time I dieted.

Been thinking of trying a thermogenic like OxyElite Pro.

Old
04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I think I'm going to start eating more peanut butter. I've been mixing some in every once in a while, but I think that would be a good way to get more realtively healthy calories.

I seriously noticed more stomach changes when I was sporadically riding the stationary bike and half-assing weights and eating almost whatever I wanted the last time I dieted.

Been thinking of trying a thermogenic like OxyElite Pro.
When I was training for hockey, I worked with a specific hockey trainer who helped me eat the right things. He told me for lunch I should have 2 full peanut butter sandwiches because it's a healthy fat. I always thought to eat less, but you can actually eat a lot of healthy food as long as you stay active. You will actually lose more weight that way as well. It worked and I lost 23lbs and put on good lean muscle for the game.

I'd say go for the PB&J sandwiches, man.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Lot of good info in this thread.

As a guy who does judo, my training is quite a bit different than most of yours-- I rarely ever lift weights, for example, and I spend a lot more time actually worrying about what I eat because of weight classes than your average hockey player.

Generally speaking, if I'm not training for a tournament, my schedule is as follows :

MWF - 2 hours of Judo. That's my cardio and strength training in one. Once a week I'll do an extra 30 minutes of sparring at the end, with 4 minute rounds, 1 minute in between.
Tu-Th- 16 miles on a bike (stationary in the winter).
Saturday - 32 mile bike circuit.
Sunday- Rest

If I'm training for a tournament, I start gradually increasing my conditioning by doing circuit training on the Tues Thurs Sat. slot. One of the downsides to doing grappling is that your knees can get pretty tweaked, so I try to stay away from running and stick to low-impact cardio when at all possible. In the spring and summer, I tend to bike to and from campus (and another 15 miles per day) so I might cut down on the extra-curiccular cardio work even more so I don't burn myself out. I'll also start upping the sport-specific core work I need (lots of dinosaur strength exercises, body weight exercises, grip pullups, burpees, etc.) gradually a month or two before the tournament, so my body can adapt to the change without getting too sore to practice. And then, two weeks or so before a tournament, I'll just pretty much go and spend 9-10 days practicing.

Getting your rest is also more important than people think, especially if you're just starting to get back into exercising. Having a day or two off between major workouts is an absolute necessity in those situations, I think.

As far as diet goes, I've found that, like JTG, you can get away with eating normal food if you're active. Cooking for yourself helps reduce your calorie count enormously, as does not driving, but I realize that's not always possible. Generally speaking, though, I tend to eat far less red meat than your average American and a lot more pork and chicken.

Last edited by HandshakeLine: 04-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
JTG

I don't think I've ran 32 miles in my life

And Doc...if you're eating PB, I'd go for the natural stuff...no stir

Old
04-06-2011, 04:29 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I don't think I've ran 32 miles in my life

And Doc...if you're eating PB, I'd go for the natural stuff...no stir
On a bike, man. I meant biking.

I can run a pretty decent mile, but good lord, my right knee will let me know about it for a few days afterwords. I can't imagine 32 times that pain.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I just dropped 40 lbs (215 to 175)eating approximately 1200 to 1500 calories a day for about 4 months. My knees are a mess from playing nets for so long as a kid so I can't play ice hockey all that much but I can play ball hockey and I do that like twice a week.

Understanding the science behind food helps a lot. Like I count calories (I've had 620 today...I come close to obsessing about it), so i can eat garbage so long as I have a numercal value I can offset somewhere else. Like salt has no calories, and I like salt...but salt retains water so that's extra weight you carry around. Hot sauce, for example, is low in calories but high in sodium, so that's a decent trade off. Put hot sauce on some chicken (low in fat and calories) and you're all set. Finding things you like that are low in calories makes thing easy. Pickles for example...rule. 1 pickle equals about 10 calories (high in sodium though). So I can sit down and eat like 4-5 pickles and be ecstatic.

Since I went so long not eating most of the things I like, I now do the 1200 calorie thing during the week and allow myself to go off script on the weekends. However, I do like to skip my cheat days occasionally. Not rewarding yourself when you earn it is like a different kind of reward.

Now physically, I'm not nearly as strong as when I played football (NCAA div 3 equivalent booyyyy!) or Junior B hockey but that's because I don't work out to get stronger or look "hotter". It's all cardio based with a lot of running.

I learned that I don't have the motivation to go to the gym and ride a bike or run or lift weights. I need the extrinsic motivation of competition to make me go...that and having scheduled team events helps. Like if I bail on a ball hockey game I'll hear about it from my buddies. So it makes you go even when you're gassed.

These are things that work for me and are for the sole purpose of not being a fat guy which I am genetically predisposed to. Both my brothers are close to 300 which scares the **** out of me. I've got a couple of kids and I don't want to be their "fat dad". I always made fun of kids who had messes for parents so I didn't want to do that to my own kids.

This may help someone...this **** works for me.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
TheWizardOfCros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Ok so i'm going 5 days a week now for 90 mins, so in 6 months or so i'll bump this with my results by then. Maybe i'll have done p90x by then....gotta train for it a little so i'm atleast able to manage. Already lost 10 pounds in 4 days along with 5 inches along my waist.

I saw this guy at the gym before i started, still there after i left...he had THICK arms and build....i was gonna ask how long he goes to the gym for but it kinda seems a little weird asking a guy that, think i'm hitting on him or something so i didn't ask but he was pretty built for like 5 foot 6. I'm not into guys...just wondering how he does his build and for how long.
i would be careful man i wouldnt be going that much to start out u dont want to overtraining. when u first start lifting you are gonna see big gaing is how much ur going to rep but the biggest mistake is to go out to hard and then ur gonna crash in 60-90 days

Old
04-06-2011, 06:21 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
On a bike, man. I meant biking.

I can run a pretty decent mile, but good lord, my right knee will let me know about it for a few days afterwords. I can't imagine 32 times that pain.
I tried spinning once. I'll never do that again.

My ass hurt so bad after I was done I had trouble walking. That's not an exaggeration either.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Yeah that's the one thing that scares me about bikes. The seats are sooo small and it hurts my butt to sit on them for too long.

Closed Thread