HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JJ

Old
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
JJ

What's happened to JJ? The MF has left the building some time ago. It's almost like he's playing with an injury (arm, wrist or shoulder). His hits are way down, physical play has been nonexistant for a month. Just concerned that his play has been slipping and it would not shock me to see him with an injury once the season ends. Anyone else notice his drop-off in play?

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
The MF was never there.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Sounds like Kings hockey.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
DeeMeck

He only had the MF that handful of games he played after he left college.

Crawford taught him how to play D in the NHL...he played positional D that entire year. Didn't really hit or play O that year.

He has good speed and on the puck awareness when he leads the rush...but even that has tapered off. He needs to take more advantage of his talent.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
-75 for the career. He's still developing though. His point totals have increased, will set a career high in shots on goal. I'd guess by the time he turns 26 or 27 he'll put it all together.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Omni Owl

Our version of Jay Bouwmeester (ouch), at least so far...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm thinking his endurance is somewhat lacking, as he has worn down as the season has progressed. Could be attributed to the shorter college schedule he was used to and for the first time in his career is playing top two minutes over the duration of a full 82 game season.

At the very least, he has shown vast improvement and continues to progress. He'll continue to get better into his late 20s to early 30s. Most defensemen start entering their prime years around those years, and I expect Johnson to be a more established, dependable and well-rounded defenseman as he continues to develop his game.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:45 PM
KingsFan7824

1 point in his last 18 games. 1 goal in his last 42 games. Unfortunately, Johnson isn't good enough in the other areas of a defenseman's game to be putting up those numbers.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:53 PM
no name

I have no idea how he isn't getting more points. He's getting more shots through than any dman on our team, but they just have not hit the twine and the Kings are not getting rebounds. I'd venture that considering he has gotten the pucks through it's got some to do with bad luck, poor effort by his teammates (we know this is the case on the PP), and just lack of oomph on his shot lately.

The bad thing is that the -'s are following him again. I'm sure that can be attributed to the lack of Kings scoring (including Jack) and him sacraficing D for offense. I'm not too concerned because no dman are tallying points except for Mitchell and the overall Kings offense has been embarrassing.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Fat Elvis

Yea, but Amart, Mitchell and even Greene are getting theirs. JJ has fallen off the table the last month or so. It'd be nice to clinch a playoff spot tonight and let him rest against the Ducks over the weekend. It's not like LA would miss his point production, but it would give him a chance to ice up and heal a bit before the series begin.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Our version of Jay Bouwmeester (ouch), at least so far...
More like Ed Jovanovski light. Less points and little to no mean streak, similar hockey senses.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Yea, but Amart, Mitchell and even Greene are getting theirs. .
When was the last time you saw the opponent challenge those guys?

Old
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The MF was never there.
THIS

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
johnjm22

Quote:
More like Ed Jovanovski light. Less points and little to no mean streak, similar hockey senses.
More like Brad Stuart.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
More like Brad Stuart.
Stuart, like Jovo, is a great hitter. Johnson hasn't shown me much in that regard.

Old
04-06-2011, 04:54 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Stuart, like Jovo, is a great hitter. Johnson hasn't shown me much in that regard.
Indeed. Those two players are comparables to JJ mostly based on the fact that they were highly regarded, over hyped dmen, that turned out to be just decent, nothing great.

Jack is a better skater, and puckhandler than Stuart and "Special Ed" though.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It seems to be difficult for many young defensemen following a lot of hype to actually fulfill or exceed the expectations placed upon them by fans. Look at Erik Johnson, Zach Bogosian, you can even go back further with Bouwmeester, Komisarek, Pitkanen, Coburn, Phaneuf, Barker, as well as Luke Schenn. All highly touted and young defensemen who struggled or continue to struggle in their careers.

I think Johnson has had a better season than all of those aforementioned players and while he isn't a vicious hitter, he is still one of the stronger players on the team and doesn't lose many one-on-one battles in the corners. And nobody can say it is a lack of effort from Jack that has led to his struggles. He'll continue to get better, we've seen signs from him that show why he was such a highly ranked prospect when he was drafted and he will continue to get better. The fact that he's still 24 and has five years of NHL experience under his belt and has improved statistically every year seems to be overlooked around here.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
no name

Here we go again with people coming out of the woods to pile on Jack when things are down. They're all silent when things are well. Now you've stooped so low to calling him "just ok" at age 24. He should just retire since it's all downhill from here.

It's always the same crybabies that ***** about Quick too. I swear, people on this site are like vultures looking to dive bomb on anything as a form of therapy.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Here we go again with people coming out of the woods to pile on Jack when things are down. They're all silent when things are well. Now you've stooped so low to calling him "just ok" at age 24. He should just retire since it's all downhill from here.

It's always the same crybabies that ***** about Quick too. I swear, people on this site are like vultures looking to dive bomb on anything as a form of therapy.
Weren't you the one who started a thread called "Doughty is an Embarrassment!" or something to that effect?

Didn't you also call Scuderi a disgrace after his turnover led to a Nashville goal by Blum the last time we played them? So its OK for you to call Scuderi a disgrace, but its offensive when people say Jack is "just ok".

Oh the irony...

Last edited by driller1: 04-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.
driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
I have no idea how he isn't getting more points. He's getting more shots through than any dman on our team, but they just have not hit the twine and the Kings are not getting rebounds. I'd venture that considering he has gotten the pucks through it's got some to do with bad luck, poor effort by his teammates (we know this is the case on the PP), and just lack of oomph on his shot lately.

The bad thing is that the -'s are following him again. I'm sure that can be attributed to the lack of Kings scoring (including Jack) and him sacraficing D for offense. I'm not too concerned because no dman are tallying points except for Mitchell and the overall Kings offense has been embarrassing.
Wow, Jack's been the worst defenseman the past 16 games and you blame everyone else? Why are you so "objective" with Penner and so blind with Jack?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:42 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Weren't you the one who started a thread called "Doughty is an Embarrassment!" or something to that effect?

Didn't you also call Scuderi a disgrace after his turnover led to a Nashville goal by Blum the last time we played them? So its OK for you to call Scuderi a disgrace, but its offensive when people say Jack is "just ok".

Oh the irony...
Yeah, I did make a thread about Doughty's actions. He's embarrassed the team on several occasions. Guess what, the media ripped him too. I've never called out his on ice performance. EVER.

And I've never called Scuderi a discrace. I may have made a comment about a bad pass or a series of bad plays in a game day thread but again, I have never called him out. You skewed my comment on purpose in an effort to misrepresent me and help your side of the debate, which is against HF user agreement.

I'm ALAWAYS the guy defending everyone. I've take in on the chin defending Murray, Jack, Westgarth, Brown, Qucik and Smyth. I will never find fault in a player who goes out and gives it their all.

Last edited by no name: 04-06-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Wow, Jack's been the worst defenseman the past 16 games and you blame everyone else? Why are you so "objective" with Penner and so blind with Jack?
Where did I blame everyone else in the quote you pasted? I gave Jack equal blame. Jack has done everything to be a leader and has put the team before himself. He's been a victom of bad luck and even Jim Fox, who has been hard on him in the past has gone out of his way to commend his efforts on both ends of the ice despite his poor production. And calling Jack the worst defenseman is highly debateable. I'll leave it at that for fear of being called a homer.

Penner has not earned any defense. If he was a proffesional each game I'd bend over backwards to defend him. Fact is that he simply is not and his own coach has said as much. That's all.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:

And I've never called Scuderi a discrace. I may have made a comment about a bad pass but again, I have never called him out. You skewed my comment on purpose in an effort to misrepresent me and help your side of the debate, which is against HF user agreement.

I'm ALAWAYS the guy defending everyone. I've take in on the chin defending Murray, Jack, Westgarth, Brown, Qucik and Smyth. I will never find fault in a player who goes out and gives it their all.
"Scuderi has been a discrace" GDT - Preds 3/15/11 8:40pm

The archives beg to differ. And you still haven't learned to spell disgrace

I respect when you defend Murray, Westy, Brown, smyth... and have no problems with you calling out an underperforming player/coach.... but to call Scuderi a disgrace and then turn around and say everyone is piling on your boy JJ when he's had a rough spell is somewhat... well... you can see where I'm coming from.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Fat Elvis

I think it's fine to be critcal of the players performances. I don't see anyone say that JJ sucks. I think he's been hiding an injury and asked if anyone else agrees. People are getting a bit sensitive, not doubt because it's crunch time. I think if JJ is going to be a top 4, he needs to be better than he has been lately. Check out his last 15 gms, he's fallen off on hits, shot blocks and shots on goal. If he's playing 23+ mins a night, dude has got to bring it.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
"Scuderi has been a discrace" GDT - Preds 3/15/11 8:40pm

The archives beg to differ. And you still haven't learned to spell disgrace

I respect when you defend Murray, Westy, Brown, smyth... and have no problems with you calling out an underperforming player/coach.... but to call Scuderi a disgrace and then turn around and say everyone is piling on your boy JJ when he's had a rough spell is somewhat... well... you can see where I'm coming from.
I'll accept the evidence, but it is difficult to determine the sense of the comment. Scuderi had a very tough start of the game and everyone was piling on his play that game. My comment was obviously about his poor start which led to a couple goals. That is in no way calling him out. He's the heart and sould of the defense and I adore him.