HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This teams missing something ?

Old
04-06-2011, 03:35 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Lappy won't be back, likely ever. Face the facts. I play hockey with a guy who knows Lappy personally and he just said, "It doesn't look good." Lately, he has been on the ice, but he will never be the same.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Orange Crush 89

The obvious answer to what this team is lacking is "desire." Why that is is beyond me. Maybe it's a maturity issue, who knows. The only thing I do know is; it sucks to be a Flyers fan right now (often).

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
The obvious answer to what this team is lacking is "desire." Why that is is beyond me. Maybe it's a maturity issue, who knows. The only thing I do know is; it sucks to be a Flyers fan right now (often).
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of the Florida Panthers or Atlanta Thrashers.

There are fans of a lot of teams in this league who wish their team was as successful and perennially competitive as the Flyers.

I don't think any of us are happy about the way the Flyers played last night, or in the past week or two. But put it into perspective, for God's sakes.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:40 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 150
I'll tell you what this team is missing right now. This guy:

Watch goals 1,2,and 4 from last night. Bobrovsky saw none of them. Two Flyers defensemen were just standing by as they let a Senator player make a nice little home in the crease area. In fact in the 4th goal, the Sens player was shoving a Flyers player out of that area. Where is the toughness? Pronger would be cross-checking the **** out of these guys until they're bruised in the back.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I wish I was a fan of the Florida Panthers or Atlanta Thrashers.

There are fans of a lot of teams in this league who wish their team was as successful and perennially competitive as the Flyers.

I don't think any of us are happy about the way the Flyers played last night, or in the past week or two. But put it into perspective, for God's sakes.
Yeah, I bet those teams DO wish they were fans of a team like the Flyers. Their teams suck so often it'd be nice to see some winning games. However, I'm a Flyers fan and JUST winning isn't enough. Sorry if that's good enough for you, but division "titles," conference championships and so on really don't mean crap to me. No matter if you finish 30th or 2nd, you still lost. I'd like to see a god damned cup championship just once in my life. Tampa Bay fans got to experience it, Anaheim fans, Carolina fans. It'd be nice to see one in a city whose team is sooo "successful."

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
You know the biggest thing missing?

Sanity, from Flyers fans.

Yup, everyone is sitting here waiting for them to lose so they can ***** and complain about it. I can't wait for the final two games to end so we can get on with the playoffs. Am I worried? Hell yes! I was also worried last season and the one before. As a friend who is a Leaf fan says, he envies me because he loves the emotions, the happiness, the depression, the feeling like you're going to puke!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Yeah, I bet those teams DO wish they were fans of a team like the Flyers. Their teams suck so often it'd be nice to see some winning games. However, I'm a Flyers fan and JUST winning isn't enough. Sorry if that's good enough for you, but division "titles," conference championships and so on really don't mean crap to me. No matter if you finish 30th or 2nd, you still lost. I'd like to see a god damned cup championship just once in my life. Tampa Bay fans got to experience it, Anaheim fans, Carolina fans. It'd be nice to see one in a city whose team is sooo "successful."
I do understand your point, and I firmly believe that this generation of Flyers fans deserves and needs to see them raise the Cup.

But every year, 29 teams don't raise the Cup. It doesn't mean those teams are worthless. The world is not black and white. There is a hell of a lot of gray in there, and a lot good stuff happens in the gray area.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
wouldnt a guy like bill guerin be a nice commodity right now?.... anyway I have said before while richie is the leader, captain, and spark this team feeds off of, I think our success runs through briere. When briere is on fire(start of the season, and last years playoffs) this team is hard to stop...it seems to open it up for everyone else, and he seems to bring that winning mentality.
Please God, tell me you didn't just say that? Do you not remember him crawling along in training camp?

Old
04-06-2011, 07:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've always thought this franchise needs a vocal, blood and guts type leader. Take a look at some of the past captains of the franchise and you'll see they've all got that "it" when it came to leadership. Not only that, but there was also an element of fear and respect in that nobody ever crossed the captain. I don't get that from this group. People can say what they want, but there needs to be some sort of hierarchy in terms of captain and subordinates. Everyone is just so friendly on this team that it seems like the captain doesn't want to rock the boat. I think Mike needs to separate himself from being everyone's friend and be the leader he can be. Unfortunately, this is a learning curve that he'll have to figure out on his own
I don't remember the guy in your avatar being a vocal leader but one who led by example.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Why don't you talk to the fans of the Leafs and ask them how much it sucks to miss the ****ing playoffs for 6 ****ing years in a row? Wanna change teams? Go for it, find yourself a team that better suits your needs and don't bother coming back.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
You may as well just give up then, because there are 30 teams in the league and 16 of them are in the playoffs, 15 of them being on even ground with the Flyers. Did last season not mean anything to you because they lost in the finals? It seems that way so it would probably be better if you just avoided hockey altogether. I'll gladly be proud to be a fan of a team that rarely crashes right out under management from the top down that has a real problem with losing.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Please God, tell me you didn't just say that? Do you not remember him crawling along in training camp?
I didnt get to see him play during training camp, just basing this off of leadership skills alone..

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Snipsnap12

lets just get this ****ing ship going, OLD TIME HOCKEY lets go

Old
04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
tuckrr

1. a roaring crowd (the game in ottawa was maybe the quietest game ive ever seen in the NHL)
2. adderall (no drug-testing in the playoffs...and clearly the HBLine has adult onset A.D.D. /sarcastic smile)
3. something worth playing for.
4. less penalties, more 5 on 5 (how many penalties were there in the Ottawa game?) we got scored on 3 times, and couldnt set up the forecheck/momentum during that game...
5. we get to wear down other teams in a 7 game series....and we're tougher! cuz we have BRIERE BETTS AND PRONGER (actually we didnt in the ottawa game)

the style of "aggressive" "forechecking" hockey that we LOVE to see flourishes under these conditions, the fancy dipsy-do canadiens-capitals hockey is for the regular season. Flyers hockey is for the CUP baby!!!

so in short: dont let the players use it as an excuse, but don't freak our because our "barometer" (aka the standings) for how we will do in the playoffs dont look so hot...b/c the playoffs are a totally different animal.
Even the hottest team can look like a fish out of water in the spotlight,
and even a slumping team that barely makes the playoffs (ie us last year) can turn heads and up the intensity.

In my opinion the flyers are a team that looks like they need "hunger" to play up to their potential...im excited to seem them starving in the first round

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I didnt get to see him play during training camp, just basing this off of leadership skills alone..
Like a baseball swing at the back of the neck of a rookie? That's fine leadership right there.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Like a baseball swing at the back of the neck of a rookie? That's fine leadership right there.
He did that??!

Old
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
He did that??!
Yes, in training camp while he was in Dallas. It's one of the reasons I've never liked him. I wasn't impressed when he was invited to the Flyers' training camp this year, then I saw him play. I think I can skate faster, and I skate on my ankles.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:25 PM
lancer247

This team is missing a PF that plays a point A to point B style and will outwork people in the corners. I like Versteeg but this team would have done better getting a Cole-type forward.

This team is made up of mostly under 6ft and 180lb forwards. It's difficult to constantly go into to the corners and take a beating by larger dmen when subconsciously you know you have been in the playoffs since Jan or Feb.

The question is can they now turn it on and make that sacrifice shift and after shift now that the playoffs are starting.

This team has shied away from board battles for the past two months which is why they have been inconsistent and their PP has been brutal to watch.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Nizzle
Dr. Philadelphia

After a sleepless night I started to wonder how would the Flyers look if they had signed Emery. As I'm writing this he's making some nice saves and looks very good. It could have been also a big motivational boost for the team... Or maybe I should just go to sleep

Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzle View Post
After a sleepless night I started to wonder how would the Flyers look if they had signed Emery. As I'm writing this he's making some nice saves and looks very good. It could have been also a big motivational boost for the team... Or maybe I should just go to sleep
I feel it's a hindsight move right now.

Signing him would've been a huge risk...and to boot, is he even playoff eligible? I personally don't know.

I'm fine that Homer didn't risk him. He looks good now, but that hip isn't trustworthy.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:41 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Simon Gagne.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:26 AM
tuckrr

this team was missing something....

LEIGHTON!!

(we'll see)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:50 AM
HappyKappy

Quote:
**** Guerin. Seriously. He's not here.

I can't believe the hate this team is getting. You guys gobble all over them when they're winning but hate them when they lose.

They've been all but assured a playoff spot since January. What's left to play for? They know damn well that every team in the playoffs is dangerous, what difference does seed matter besides home-ice advantage? We're one of the best road teams in the league.

If they don't come out hard in the first two games of the playoffs, then yes, we've overestimated them but until then, for ****s sake, give them a chance. This is basically the same team that re-wrote history.

HappyKappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:34 AM
StandingCow

Effort, that is it.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
How much of a role did Gagne play in lockeroom?

I know with Hawks Sopel , Burish , Ladd and Versteeg missing from lockerroom has been very evident. Those guys tended to keep the lockerroom loose (Steeger and Burish) or lead by example and experience (Sopel , Madden and Ladd)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote