HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Live Web Chat w/ Ted Black

Old
04-05-2011, 01:11 AM
JD SabreFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I like the dark blues as is. DON'T CHANGE THEM AGAIN!

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
I agree that going back to the brighter blue is a relatively major change that can wait a bit.

But removing the piping wouldn't be a major change at all. It would just be tweaking the current jerseys and making them much better in the process. It would be similar to the Flyers changing the number font on their retro jerseys a few seasons ago: http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2008...e-numbers.html
No it wouldn't. It would require Reebok overhauling their manufacturing method, changing templates and materials. It would render every jersey they have in stock out of date. Lettering is a minor add on which can be changed any time. Incomparable.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
I'd rather they just left the jerseys alone for a year or two. It's gotten to be somewhat embarrassing, and at some point you have to think that folks who would otherwise have bought jerseys will think twice if the organization is changing them every year.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Pengo

@eSabre

Maybe a better example is how Anaheim resized their logo after the 07-08 season (07-08, Current). If you still don't like that, maybe the best example since the lockout is the Leafs. They had mediocre jerseys until they simply added some bottom stripes, and now they have some of the best in the league.

I really don't think there would be anything but a positive response if they removed the piping and pit stains. Removing those things would not be major change and would not add to the "joke" that the Sabres change their jerseys all the time. Improving the current jersey ≠ getting all-new jerseys.

Don't forget, the Sabres tweaked their uniforms several times in the 70s and 80s. This wouldn't be any different than that, IMO.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Clock

Quote:
@eSabre

Maybe a better example is how Anaheim resized their logo after the 07-08 season (07-08, Current). If you still don't like that, maybe the best example since the lockout is the Leafs. They had mediocre jerseys until they simply added some bottom stripes, and now they have some of the best in the league.

I really don't think there would be anything but a positive response if they removed the piping and pit stains. Removing those things would not be major change and would not add to the "joke" that the Sabres change their jerseys all the time. Improving the current jersey ≠ getting all-new jerseys.

Don't forget, the Sabres tweaked their uniforms several times in the 70s and 80s. This wouldn't be any different than that, IMO.
I could easily see where fans who bought the jerseys would become agitated that they were made "obsolete" so quickly. Personally, I don't really care if they make minor changes again, but I would venture to say that avoiding yet another change has probably become a factor. In addition to potentially agitating your current customers, continuing to alter jerseys every year could make folks who are in the market for a jersey think twice about buying one for fear that they'll simply follow the current pattern and change them again soon after.

Granted, it's probably not a huge factor, but I think the current jerseys are pretty damn good. I'd ideally like to see them just stay with the current design for another season just to break the cycle.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Not entirely. Because of Golisano/Quinn requesting Friday home games and Saturday games being common with most teams, it creates a lot of Fri/Sat back to back games. If the Sabres weren't so insistent on getting those Friday home dates, they wouldn't have as many as they do now (leading the league in them).
I think it has a lot to do with the non-hockey event booking policies of the previous ownership. Golisano/Quinn were looking to maximize revenue. It wouldn't surprise me if they gave non-hockey events priority over the Sabres.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
I'm also on board with webcasting preseason games on SabresTV

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Pengo

I get what you're saying, Clock, but I don't think removing the piping would alienate the fans. It would still be the same basic design, and they could have another "discount day/week/month" for fans who want to trade in their jerseys for another one.

Also, I think the idea that the Sabres change their jerseys too much is overrated. They've had three main designs in the last decade (the Red & Black, the Slug, and the Current ones... I'm not counting the other alternates/throwbacks because they don't have a matching home/away), tied with Philly, NYI, and Tampa Bay. And more teams could be added to that list in the next few seasons, such as Edmonton, LA, and Florida. Removing the piping would bring us up to 3.25 designs at most (not an official number obviously, but you know what I'm saying).

On a side note, here's an idea of the jerseys without the piping (credit to Ron Barr from that Malkin to Buffalo thread a few months ago):

Old
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
@eSabre

A logo is an add on, similiar to lettering. The construction of the jersey (all NHL jerseys are template-based) would have to change. Altering stripes is not half as easy as slapping on a logo.

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre View Post
A logo is an add on, similiar to lettering. The construction of the jersey (all NHL jerseys are template-based) would have to change. Altering stripes is not half as easy as slapping on a logo.
But isn't there a difference between altering stripes and simply removing them? I actually have one of those jerseys and the piping is just grey fabric that's sewn on. Removing those would be as simple as not sewing them on anymore. You might be right about the pit stains, though. It's almost like the fabric tore and they patched it up with those grey things. Still, removing those would be as simple as using a bit more of the blue fabric.

Either way, that would only be an issue is if the NHL doesn't allow any changes to the jerseys so soon after we switched to this set. From a fan's perspective, they're just staying with the same jerseys but removing some of the grey trim.

Old
04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
I don't mind the piping. Change up the 3rd every couple years. Just stop ****ing changing it.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Anyone else in the chat?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
mechaphil

Yeah, I'm in there (Phil BBG)

Love that Ted Black said they're improving the ice conditions!

Old
04-06-2011, 05:11 PM
OpethianSabre20

Yup, I'm in there too.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Pengo

They are going the post the "Top 10" fan suggestions. I wonder what will be on it.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
mechaphil

If you're on Twitter and want to keep tabs on the chat but don't want to participate, I'm tweeting Ted Black's responses.

#tedblackchat

Old
04-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Chippah
Tsssss

Lol I was watching the Ted Black chat and wondering why so few people were asking questions. Then I asked one and realized that they must be accepting the questions and answering select ones.

Chippah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrezombie View Post
Lol I was watching the Ted Black chat and wondering why so few people were asking questions. Then I asked one and realized that they must be accepting the questions and answering select ones.
not sure about that, here is a 'beauty'
Quote:
[Comment From Nikki Nikki: ]
this "fan apprection" thing is a joke. and teh 50/50 raffle is a bigger joke. the only people that win sit in the 200's and/or the club boxes. help out the REAL fans that r broke and car-less

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Detractor number one gets through. Let's see how Ted Handles it.

Old
Chippah
Tsssss

Quote:
this "fan apprection" thing is a joke. and teh 50/50 raffle is a bigger joke. the only people that win sit in the 200's and/or the club boxes. help out the REAL fans that r broke and car-less
Wow, what a slap in the face.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrezombie View Post
Wow, what a slap in the face.
I had a nice reply ready to send off to her, then Ted comes in and handles it beautifully.

Well done, chap.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
not sure about that, here is a 'beauty'
It's selected. I've submitted quite a few. He's ready for this one.

Old
Chippah
Tsssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
not sure about that
I thpught the same thing when I saw that.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

No jersey changes.

Old
04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Pengo

No jersey changes specifically for next season.

Hmm...