HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
  #101
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
Dude, worst pain...ever. Seriously. If it weren't for the seat, I'd still do it. Body wise...I was fine. They may as well not put seats on those ****ing bikes though. It felt like I was having a pole shoved up my ass for 45 mins.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
  #102
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Why don't you guys try the eliptical instead of the bike? I'm about 5-10/190 and am able to burn about 900 calories an hour on that thing. Have never been a big fan of the stationary bike.

SirBrad is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
  #103
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
Because I'm not a woman who enjoys talking on the phone while exercising

JTG is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
  #104
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Because I'm not a woman who enjoys talking on the phone while exercising
Funny, but at my gym the bike is like a machine that you use when you want to sit and text for 20 minutes. I get a better workout on the elliptical or running on the treadmill.

SirBrad is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
  #105
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain
 
Gary Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
I like to use the eliptical machine because I have a bad knee and try to avoid harsh impact on it where I can. I still run, but usually 3 days a week, and use the eliptical the other days. I only use the stationary bike if I'm hurt.

Gary Roberts is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
  #106
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,787
vCash: 500
Almond butter >>> peanut butter.

I make mine homemade, not too expensive and very delicious.

invictus is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 09:09 PM
  #107
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Why don't you guys try the eliptical instead of the bike? I'm about 5-10/190 and am able to burn about 900 calories an hour on that thing. Have never been a big fan of the stationary bike.
The calorie estimates for those machines are way off -they give some pretty egregious estimates.

cassius is offline  
Old
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
  #108
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Funny, but at my gym the bike is like a machine that you use when you want to sit and text for 20 minutes. I get a better workout on the elliptical or running on the treadmill.


If you can text during that, I'll shake your hand.

That kind of biking is said to be one of the exercises that burns the most calories of any cardiovascular workout. I did it twice, and both times all around my bike looked like someone spilt a bucket of water around me.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 02:38 AM
  #109
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,787
vCash: 500
I can't do biking. My balls are too saggy and I feel like I have testicular cancer every time I'm done.

invictus is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 03:02 AM
  #110
DeSero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Insanity. I can not say there is a better workout out there.

DeSero is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 08:39 AM
  #111
Snooki Stackhouse
Registered User
 
Snooki Stackhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Dude, worst pain...ever. Seriously. If it weren't for the seat, I'd still do it. Body wise...I was fine. They may as well not put seats on those ****ing bikes though. It felt like I was having a pole shoved up my ass for 45 mins.
I need one of these:


Snooki Stackhouse is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 08:48 AM
  #112
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
I need one of these:

No lie. If the seats on those bikes were better, I'd probably do spinning every day.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
  #113
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Spinning isn't any fun for me. Being in a cramped room and listening to Rihanna on 99% volume with a bunch of sweaty folks around me ain't my bag.

I gotta do the real thing and go out on a road bike. It's so much more fun and a much better workout. Plus, who wants to stand up while they're pedaling? I see folks doing it all the time in spinning classes, but you would never do that on a real bike.

cassius is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 09:24 AM
  #114
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
You do that on a bike without speeds

JTG is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 09:36 AM
  #115
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,950
vCash: 500
Anyone ever do Layne Norton's Hypertrophy/Power split?

http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-f...ated-2011.html

Started it on Monday. Seems ok thus far.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
  #116
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
There is nothing appealing to me looking like the dudes on that website.

I had a set of twins from my HS get into body buidling. They used to be cute. They now look like men.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
  #117
SirBrad
Registered User
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post


If you can text during that, I'll shake your hand.

That kind of biking is said to be one of the exercises that burns the most calories of any cardiovascular workout. I did it twice, and both times all around my bike looked like someone spilt a bucket of water around me.
Yeah, I never see anyone doing that at the gym. LOL

SirBrad is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
  #118
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
There is nothing appealing to me looking like the dudes on that website.

I had a set of twins from my HS get into body buidling. They used to be cute. They now look like men.
I don't want to look like that, but I'm definitely a meat head. I'm 6'3", 220lbs, 10%bf. Want to be like 230 w same bf%.

Til the End of Time is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 10:56 AM
  #119
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
I don't want to look like that, but I'm definitely a meat head. I'm 6'3", 220lbs, 10%bf. Want to be like 230 w same bf%.
The irony of your avatar with the above post is mind numbing. Heh.

On an unrelated note, nice seeing you posting.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
  #120
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post


If you can text during that, I'll shake your hand.

That kind of biking is said to be one of the exercises that burns the most calories of any cardiovascular workout. I did it twice, and both times all around my bike looked like someone spilt a bucket of water around me.
I'm not a fan of biking at all, atleast at the gym. Too much it takes out of you, and you gotta push faster and stronger....i'm on the bike and i'm all like "**** this ****! hurry the **** up so i can get off this ****ing bike" I'd rather comit suicide then do that in the youtube....

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 09:22 PM
  #121
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Because I'm not a woman who enjoys talking on the phone while exercising
Good thing you had those smileys at the end...i was gonna be like "WTF UR A GIRL??????".

66-29-33 is offline  
Old
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
  #122
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I'm not a fan of biking at all, atleast at the gym. Too much it takes out of you, and you gotta push faster and stronger....i'm on the bike and i'm all like "**** this ****! hurry the **** up so i can get off this ****ing bike" I'd rather comit suicide then do that in the youtube....
If you want to lose weight in a very quick hurry...I think that's the best exercise to get there. You're going to want to go suicidal (like you said), but the results will be well worth it.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-08-2011, 02:49 AM
  #123
BigAndy32
Registered User
 
BigAndy32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Brunswick, Canad
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Does anyone know a good workout schedule for someone new at the gym? i wanna bulk up but i have no muscle so it will take a while. I just got home from my 2nd day at the gym. I go Monday, Wednesday, Friday for 30 minutes.

First 5 minutes i spend on the bike to get the blood flowing, and my last 10 minutes i go on the bike again. I plan to perhaps 1 day go every day for 1 hour. Maybe 2 if i like it....
First thing's first ... the diet. Eat alot of carbs. don't eat big portions 3 times a day, eat medium portions 6 times a day.

70% of what you achieve at the gym is due to the diet.

Now, for the gym part ...

I would suggest you go 4-5 days a week.
If you want to bulk up, I suggest to do each muscle individually.

Here`s an example:

Monday: Chest and triceps (4 exercises of each)
Tuesday: Biceps and Legs (4 exercises of biceps, 6-8 exercises of legs)
Wednesday: Shoulders and forearms (5 exercices shoulders, 2 exercices forearms)
Thursday: Back and cardio (6 back exercises and more cardio)

Let me break it down for you.

Each day, you are to do some cardio before and after each workout (10 minutes each is enough) Don`t do too much cardio, we don`t want you to lose fat, we want you to turn that fat into muscle.

For each muscle, since you want to gain weight, each exercises should have 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps. You really need to push your muscles to the limit for them to grow. If you get to your 6-8 rep and you still can go, it means you didn`t take heavy enough.

If you do everything right and at a decent pace, you should be at the gym for about an hour and a half per session

One VERY important thing is "Muscle confusion" ... this is the best!!!

Anyways, if you need more info, inbox me.
I`ve been training for the last 5 years on a regular basis and went from 190lbs to now 245 (And no, i didn`t take roids).
I can send you one of my programs and give you some in-dept explanations

BigAndy32 is offline  
Old
04-08-2011, 05:42 AM
  #124
Bluefan75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyOwnsYou View Post
First thing's first ... the diet. Eat alot of carbs. don't eat big portions 3 times a day, eat medium portions 6 times a day.

70% of what you achieve at the gym is due to the diet.

Now, for the gym part ...

I would suggest you go 4-5 days a week.
If you want to bulk up, I suggest to do each muscle individually.

Here`s an example:

Monday: Chest and triceps (4 exercises of each)
Tuesday: Biceps and Legs (4 exercises of biceps, 6-8 exercises of legs)
Wednesday: Shoulders and forearms (5 exercices shoulders, 2 exercices forearms)
Thursday: Back and cardio (6 back exercises and more cardio)

Let me break it down for you.

Each day, you are to do some cardio before and after each workout (10 minutes each is enough) Don`t do too much cardio, we don`t want you to lose fat, we want you to turn that fat into muscle.

For each muscle, since you want to gain weight, each exercises should have 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps. You really need to push your muscles to the limit for them to grow. If you get to your 6-8 rep and you still can go, it means you didn`t take heavy enough.

If you do everything right and at a decent pace, you should be at the gym for about an hour and a half per session

One VERY important thing is "Muscle confusion" ... this is the best!!!

Anyways, if you need more info, inbox me.
I`ve been training for the last 5 years on a regular basis and went from 190lbs to now 245 (And no, i didn`t take roids).
I can send you one of my programs and give you some in-dept explanations
I'll agree on the diet being first thing. But what is it you expect him to accomplish with those exercises that squatting, pressing, deadlifting and bench pressing won't? Throw in some power cleans to add an explosiveness element, if there is some athletic activity, or you could put barbell rows if the looks are the sole concern and not athletic strength.

While I do believe there are different ways to skin a cat, I also think that in most cases simpler is better. I'm just not sure what all those exercises will accomplish that these won't. And how in the heck is he supposed to recover with that kind of schedule?


Last edited by Bluefan75: 04-08-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Bluefan75 is offline  
Old
04-08-2011, 09:25 AM
  #125
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,498
vCash: 500
Rest is also a huge component when you're just starting out. 3 days a week would be ideal, and trimming a workout to 5-7 exercises that work your entire body, you're getting most out of each workout.

When you get into the groove of things, THEN start doing iso exercises that target only one specific muscle or muscle group.

JTG is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.