HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Bucs/Rays & Other Florida Sports Teams Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Supposedly Raymond is retiring tonight.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...etire-tonight/

I also note what today is and demonstrate tons and tons of skepticism of this. We'd have known in advance if this were to be a legit happening.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
8 innings in and we already have our first horrible, blown, rally killing call.

Old
04-02-2011, 01:06 AM
I Am Beat You

That sucked.

And the Raymond retiring prank got me. I saw the "new" mascot and was thinking "wow, that's ****ing retarded", lol.

Anyways, just a brutal game. We love making guys look like lifetime cy young contenders. I'm also not too big on Damon batting so high in the order. He looked like a child at the plate tonight and I won't even get into that ridiculous display in left field. Oh well, hopefully we can rebound tomorrow.

And also, did Rick Scott end up throwing the ceremonial pitch? I didn't get to my seats until after the anthem so I might have missed it.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:23 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
That sucked.

And the Raymond retiring prank got me. I saw the "new" mascot and was thinking "wow, that's ****ing retarded", lol.

Anyways, just a brutal game. We love making guys look like lifetime cy young contenders. I'm also not too big on Damon batting so high in the order. He looked like a child at the plate tonight and I won't even get into that ridiculous display in left field. Oh well, hopefully we can rebound tomorrow.

And also, did Rick Scott end up throwing the ceremonial pitch? I didn't get to my seats until after the anthem so I might have missed it.
Scott did and got booed.

Also

Old
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Lets put it like this - I heard less booing for the Red Sox in the playoffs than what Rick Scott got.

That worthless **** piece of **** criminal should have had **** thrown at him.

Old
04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Tell us how you really feel.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

3 games, 3 runs. Not firing Shelton was such a brilliant idea!

Meanwhile, Indians have 20 runs in 3 games and only 1 win. D'oh.

Old
04-03-2011, 04:44 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

159-3 ain't bad

Old
04-06-2011, 06:24 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistDayKare View Post
159-3 ain't bad
You mean 157-5

Old
04-06-2011, 06:36 PM
IdealisticSniper

Im sorry, and I know this early, but did anyone really think the Rays would be good this year? Let alone make the playoffs, which by the way would mean they would have to be better than one of either the Yankees or Red Sox.

No salary cap + good players that only care about money + small market team with cheap owners = failure.

The only funny thing to me is that the selfish POS Crawford and his precious Red Sox are winless as well at 0-4 lol.

Old
04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Indians making it 0-5 tonight. I'm going to watch, so that means the Indians will probably lose. Sorry guys.

Old
04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Thank you, Hellickson, for the free pizza I am about to enjoy tomorrow for dinner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
No salary cap + good players that only care about money + small market team with cheap owners = failure.

The only funny thing to me is that the selfish POS Crawford and his precious Red Sox are winless as well at 0-4 lol.
I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you here on some fronts.

I do not fault Crawford for leaving at all. If I was in his shoes, I probably would, too, and I guarantee that you would do it as well. Given the fact there is no salary cap, if the Red Sox throw that much money at somebody, more power to the player if he accepts. It's kind of hard to expect a player to take a hometown discount when the discount would be a humongous difference. Not just a couple of million, but many millions. Plus, because of the economic setup, you know the Red Sox are a perennial contender, whereas the Rays had their short-lived window -- which may have been longer than the average window for a small market team. I can't fault a guy for taking money AND having a chance to win. I hate the Red Sox, but from an unbiased standpoint, I don't fault Crawford one bit.

You can also call the Rays' owners cheap if you want to, but I also disagree there. Until there is a salary cap in baseball, the Rays and many other middle-of-the-pack clubs have their hands tied. You can't compete year in and year out when as soon as your top players are free agents they get snapped up by others. I've seen it happen too many times to my Tribe.

Besides, calling the Rays owners cheap, when an Associated Press story last year flat out busted the Pirates' owners for not wanting to try because they were turning a profit from the luxury tax? Seriously, if the Rays are cheap, what do you call the Pirates? At least the Rays are trying to win and do something, which is more than some organizations in MLB. The whole sport is broken in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Indians making it 0-5 tonight. I'm going to watch, so that means the Indians will probably lose. Sorry guys.
Yeah I thought Choo's homer was going to be good, and then we loaded the bases in the next half-inning. Ugh!

Old
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm pissed at Sternberg and will be for a long time, he chose to gut our team to make a large, short-term profit. That dude does NOT need money, the poor billionaire might lose 10-12m, oh no!!

Plus, it was also bad BUSINESS wise because if he kept the team together, it would've been really hard to refuse them a new stadium after another playoff berth. He gave up all leverage and has no argument now.

I'm wondering if he may have a long-term relocation plan because he's doing exactly what an owner who wanted to move a ballclub would do.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:15 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Thank you, Hellickson, for the free pizza I am about to enjoy tomorrow for dinner!

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you here on some fronts.

I do not fault Crawford for leaving at all. If I was in his shoes, I probably would, too, and I guarantee that you would do it as well. Given the fact there is no salary cap, if the Red Sox throw that much money at somebody, more power to the player if he accepts. It's kind of hard to expect a player to take a hometown discount when the discount would be a humongous difference. Not just a couple of million, but many millions. Plus, because of the economic setup, you know the Red Sox are a perennial contender, whereas the Rays had their short-lived window -- which may have been longer than the average window for a small market team. I can't fault a guy for taking money AND having a chance to win. I hate the Red Sox, but from an unbiased standpoint, I don't fault Crawford one bit.

You can also call the Rays' owners cheap if you want to, but I also disagree there. Until there is a salary cap in baseball, the Rays and many other middle-of-the-pack clubs have their hands tied. You can't compete year in and year out when as soon as your top players are free agents they get snapped up by others. I've seen it happen too many times to my Tribe.

Besides, calling the Rays owners cheap, when an Associated Press story last year flat out busted the Pirates' owners for not wanting to try because they were turning a profit from the luxury tax? Seriously, if the Rays are cheap, what do you call the Pirates? At least the Rays are trying to win and do something, which is more than some organizations in MLB. The whole sport is broken in that sense.

Yeah I thought Choo's homer was going to be good, and then we loaded the bases in the next half-inning. Ugh!
While I completely understand that its a business and players want to make their money. My heart still says if a guy is drafted and plays and is developed by one team, the city loves them, they are a star on said team, etc etc, they should do whatever it takes to stay on that team. Crawford left for the money, not to be able to win. If he stayed it would make the Rays a better team. Not to mention going to a division rival is just a big slap in the face. My brain understands he wants as much money as he can get, who wouldnt. But at the same time I have to be honest, if I had a choice between 10M a season and 20M a season and the former was with the club that I had been with my whole career in a place like TB, I would stay in TB. What car can you buy with 20M that you cant with 10M? Like I said, everyone is different, and I completely understand that money is a big thing to most players. The circumstances of the whole thing is what gets me with him. He didnt even give the Rays a chance to make him an offer during the season to keep him around. He knew he was pricing himself out of the Rays lineup. Anyways I digress.

As for the Rays owners being cheap. I guess it should stay in context. They are cheap like the Glazers. They dont want to put money into the team to compete. Which is why all the homegrown talent that they spend time and energy on in developing, simply leaves for the money from another team when they become FA. They arent cheap in the main sense of the word, but compared to other owners in the league (and especially the division which is the biggest problem really), in a salary cap world being frugal with contracts for big star players is ok because other teams can only throw so much money at them, but without a cap the teams that just throw money at players will thrive more often than not.

Either way, the Rays arent going to be good again for awhile. Id say probably at least 3 years. Unless they start throwing out more money of course. And then again, thats assuming they are still in the Bay area because they cant figure out that they need to put a new stadium actually in Tampa and not in the ghetto in ST Pete. That might help their revenue a bit too.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

I think there is another aspect of Crawford we are forgetting: players union. They want players to get more money.

As for your assessment of the Rays owners, well, that accounts for many MLB owners, which again points to the fact MLB is broken.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I'm pissed at Sternberg and will be for a long time, he chose to gut our team to make a large, short-term profit. That dude does NOT need money, the poor billionaire might lose 10-12m, oh no!!

Plus, it was also bad BUSINESS wise because if he kept the team together, it would've been really hard to refuse them a new stadium after another playoff berth. He gave up all leverage and has no argument now.

I'm wondering if he may have a long-term relocation plan because he's doing exactly what an owner who wanted to move a ballclub would do.
You're so far off base its ridiculous.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
I think there is another aspect of Crawford we are forgetting: players union. They want players to get more money.

As for your assessment of the Rays owners, well, that accounts for many MLB owners, which again points to the fact MLB is broken.
I would agree on both points. Most definitely the second one. MLB needs a salary cap for parody. Otherwise whats the point in having the same teams every year in the playoffs and winning? Every now and then sure a random team gets in and does something but then the next year they lose everyone to the highest bidder. It will never happen though.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:09 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

That's the thing though, the same teams aren't winning every year.

With the salary cap it's a double edged sword, because without the cap yeah you get premium players but they could also bust and your team could be screwed for years to come. (I know all to well about this, i'm a Cubs fan)

Old
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

FYI, Indians lead 3-2 bottom of sixth, no outs, bases juiced, and the BoSox have sent in Dan Wheeler as the new pitcher. He has a 13.5 ERA in 1.1 innings over 2 games.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Wow BoSox F'd that up, didn't they Downie?

Force out at third, fine, then they threw home and Varitek touched home for the force -- except it was no longer a force and the run scored.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Dan Wheeler gave up a 3-run homer.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I Am Beat You

CC looked miserable out there in left. Good to see him get a couple bags though, I'm not really bitter about him leaving.

Old
04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Wow BoSox F'd that up, didn't they Downie?

Force out at third, fine, then they threw home and Varitek touched home for the force -- except it was no longer a force and the run scored.
Varitek... I have no clue WTF he was doing. I'll take it though. I'm liking this Tribe team so far. Offense is producing and the pitching seems to have turned around from the first two games.

Old
04-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Downie,

To be fair, as I want to see this again, but you don't suppose the third baseman was throwing home for the force but in the process of his normal windup inadvertently touched third for the force?

Old
04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
You're so far off base its ridiculous.
I know it sounds ridiculous at first, but really think it over for a few minutes. The money was spent at first, but attendance didn't pick up enough to justify it, right? So they can say "we're losing money and nobody will help us out, we spent to win and nobody cared!" Can't get a new stadium, so you can get away with cutting salary, the team has a couple bad years now, attendance drops off a bit, the owners threaten to move the team if the new place isn't built.

All owners know this strategy. It's literally page 1, you can call me a crazy cynic, conspiracy theorist or whatever, but how many times has it played out this way before? If it sounds wild, I can name a dozen cities that've basically seen it done to a tee.

Closed Thread