Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

hockey in Gernany

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
hockey in Gernany

I have to do this presentation in German for this test called the Sprachdiplom. I decided that my topic was going to be hockey, but I have to talk a little about hockey in Germany.
I was wondering how big is hockey up there?
Are there Haupstadts were it's played more than others?
Who is regarded to be the best German hockey player ever? (Kolzig right?)
I'd appreciate any other information that you think I should say. This part of my presentation is probably going to be about 5 minutes long, so it doesn't have to be too detailed.
Thanks in advance.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman
I have to do this presentation in German for this test called the Sprachdiplom. I decided that my topic was going to be hockey, but I have to talk a little about hockey in Germany.
I was wondering how big is hockey up there?
Are there Haupstadts were it's played more than others?
Who is regarded to be the best German hockey player ever? (Kolzig right?)
I'd appreciate any other information that you think I should say. This part of my presentation is probably going to be about 5 minutes long, so it doesn't have to be too detailed.
Thanks in advance.
Biggest player: I´d say Erich Kühnhackl.
How big is hockey: good question. I could see opinions differ a lot here, but it´s a top5 sport in Germany.
The southern part of Germany has lots of teams, but the "Ruhrpott" isn´t bad either. Aside from that hockey isn´t played that much in the rest of germany.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Sanderson

I agree on Kühnhackl, he's usually seen as the best, although it is hard to compare our old no-interest-in-NHL generation with our current generation.

If you go by attendance, hockey is (a very distant) no.2 behind soccer. The teams with big arenas, like Cologne or Hamburg, are pretty much on the same level as tier-two soccer teams, the rest is more comparable to tier three or four teams.

In regard to active players or the tv-market, Handball and Basketball should be bigger. Although that's not surprising, as you don't need much to play them.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Chileiceman

Does the DEL have a second division?
I was reading that the whole reason that they changed from 1. bundesliga to DEL was that when teams descended to to the second division they lost fan interest.
Yet the DEL's last 2 teams play in a promotional playoff. How does that work?
Also how do you say hockey stick and puck in german?
Thanks for your help guys

Old
08-05-2005, 07:03 PM
MAF
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman
Does the DEL have a second division?
I was reading that the whole reason that they changed from 1. bundesliga to DEL was that when teams descended to to the second division they lost fan interest.
Yet the DEL's last 2 teams play in a promotional playoff. How does that work?
Also how do you say hockey stick and puck in german?
Thanks for your help guys
Yes, we have a second division, but it is not called DEL-2 or something. Just "Die 2. Bundesliga". But there are talks and proposals to make the DEL much more "independent" with no relegation round (same teams every year).

That "promotional playoff" of the worst 2 teams is a Best-of-7 round and the loser gets relegated to our 2nd division. But during the last 2 years the loser stayed in the league, because another team had financial problems ;-). But, of course, this format could be history within 2 years.

hockey stick is "(Hockey)schläger" and puck is "Puck" or "Scheibe" (casual).

Closed Thread