HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I would hope so considering you're taking more than double the time. Do 20min of running however, compared to 20min of HIIT, and again, come tell me which is more beneficial, for everything.

I'm surprised an army man such as yourself would go that route. Military soldiers are very high on HIIT type of programming such as Crossfit, and the Seals have developed their own crossfit inspired workouts called Sealfit.
Yo kriss what gym you go to? I noticed you in Laval right? Wondering if you go to Body Shop, the 24h gym.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I would hope so considering you're taking more than double the time. Do 20min of running however, compared to 20min of HIIT, and again, come tell me which is more beneficial, for everything.

I'm surprised an army man such as yourself would go that route. Military soldiers are very high on HIIT type of programming such as Crossfit, and the Seals have developed their own crossfit inspired workouts called Sealfit.
I'm not against HIIT at all. It's just not a weight loss cure by any means. You can't do HIIT for 45 minutes or everyday like you can slow steady state, so it's really not any more efficient, per minute is it? debatable, but i'm not worried about 20minutes per day I save with HIIT. I value my health more than that and feel there is no match for a nice long run.

The military does a lot of crossfit, but trust me, we do alot more running. I like HIIT just to break up the monotony of running everyday, but my only point was that HIIT is no more efficient for fat loss and I stand by that.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:

Crossfit is not really HIIT type of programming though, it's GPP and touches every energy system, and includes mile runs. It's also very time efficient as you do a lot in very little time. Soldiers needs a lot of variables in their training. It doesn't really have anything to do with fat loss. Many people could care less about the fitness benefits of HIIT type training and just want the easiest way for them to get a six pack or lose their hip fat. This might mean doing an easier exercise like running at a steady pace instead of sprinting till they get red with fatigue with improper technique and tearing their back ligaments apart. The main point is finding something the person can stick with in the long term, the rest is irrelevant.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Yo kriss what gym you go to? I noticed you in Laval right? Wondering if you go to Body Shop, the 24h gym.
No, I'm a trainer at Centre Sportif Rosemere, so I workout there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I'm not against HIIT at all. It's just not a weight loss cure by any means. You can't do HIIT for 45 minutes or everyday like you can slow steady state, so it's really not any more efficient, per minute is it? debatable, but i'm not worried about 20minutes per day I save with HIIT. I value my health more than that and feel there is no match for a nice long run.

The military does a lot of crossfit, but trust me, we do alot more running. I like HIIT just to break up the monotony of running everyday, but my only point was that HIIT is no more efficient for fat loss and I stand by that.
Nothing is a cure for weight loss outside nutrition, and I've stated that as well.
But I like to give alternatives to the dreadful long and boring routines of running for 45min. That over the same amount of time, you'd get more results from HIIT.

I've previously said that changing your diet alone, without exercising, will make you lose weight. So, I believe that sums it up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Crossfit is not really HIIT type of programming though, it's GPP and touches every energy system, and includes mile runs. It's also very time efficient as you do a lot in very little time. Soldiers needs a lot of variables in their training. It doesn't really have anything to do with fat loss. Many people could care less about the fitness benefits of HIIT type training and just want the easiest way for them to get a six pack or lose their hip fat. This might mean doing an easier exercise like running at a steady pace instead of sprinting till they get red with fatigue with improper technique and tearing their back ligaments apart. The main point is finding something the person can stick with in the long term, the rest is irrelevant.
Yes, Crossfit is more about General Physical Preparedness, but it does resemble HIIT programming. Whether it's for fat loss, strength, sports related or simply overall fitness, Crossfit is great for all.

You are right though, telling somebody to run for 40min every day is a lot simpler. If that person cares very little about its health and only wants a quick lose weight model, the he can just stop eating, that's very simple too.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:45 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
No, I'm a trainer at Centre Sportif Rosemere, so I workout there.

Nothing is a cure for weight loss outside nutrition, and I've stated that as well.
But I like to give alternatives to the dreadful long and boring routines of running for 45min. That over the same amount of time, you'd get more results from HIIT.

I've previously said that changing your diet alone, without exercising, will make you lose weight. So, I believe that sums it up nicely.

Yes, Crossfit is more about General Physical Preparedness, but it does resemble HIIT programming. Whether it's for fat loss, strength, sports related or simply overall fitness, Crossfit is great for all.

You are right though, telling somebody to run for 40min every day is a lot simpler. If that person cares very little about its health and only wants a quick lose weight model, the he can just stop eating, that's very simple too.
You implying that running everyday is somehow bad for your health tells me everything I need to know about you and this debate.
If you care very little about your health, run for 40minutes a day?

You liking something better doesn't make it more efficient or desirable for others. The idea that you get more results from HIIT isn't correct, even a 20min vs 20min program. How many calories do you think is possible to burn in 1 minute lol? It has many benefits, but superior weight loss isn't one of them.

I've never stated HIIT was bad for you, just that it isn't gonna help natey and others drop the pounds any quicker than slow steady state.

Who says 45 minutes runs are boring? What's so dreaded about going for a run? I look forward to them.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
You implying that running everyday is somehow bad for your health tells me everything I need to know about you and this debate.
If you care very little about your health, run for 40minutes a day?

You liking something better doesn't make it more efficient or desirable for others. The idea that you get more results from HIIT isn't correct, even a 20min vs 20min program. How many calories do you think is possible to burn in 1 minute lol? It has many benefits, but superior weight loss isn't one of them.

I've never stated HIIT was bad for you, just that it isn't gonna help natey and others drop the pounds any quicker than slow steady state.

Who says 45 minutes runs are boring? What's so dreaded about going for a run? I look forward to them.
You misunderstood. I never implied that running was bad for your health. Kareem was mentioning people that care little about their health and just want something simple and basic to do. I was only responding to that. And yes, telling someone to run for 45min is a lot simpler. In no way am I saying it's bad for your health, come on, I think you should have known that's not what I implied.
Any form of exercising is good for your health.

Believe it or not, but not too many people look forward to running for 45min. Who says it? Most of the clients where I work. Personally, I fall in that category as well. I do not enjoy running for 30min straight, not even 20. Swimming perhaps, Jump roping surely, but not running, biking, elliptical, and I detest rowing (even if I feel it's a terrific exercise). If you enjoy it, then great! Nothing wrong with that.

There is about 3600 calories in 1lbs of fat. So, whether you do a HIIT or steady run matters very little, as you already know.

Doing anaerobic exercises, as I previously mentioned, brings more benefits.

Old
03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
You misunderstood. I never implied that running was bad for your health. Kareem was mentioning people that care little about their health and just want something simple and basic to do. I was only responding to that. And yes, telling someone to run for 45min is a lot simpler. In no way am I saying it's bad for your health, come on, I think you should have known that's not what I implied.
Any form of exercising is good for your health.

Believe it or not, but not too many people look forward to running for 45min. Who says it? Most of the clients where I work. Personally, I fall in that category as well. I do not enjoy running for 30min straight, not even 20. Swimming perhaps, Jump roping surely, but not running, biking, elliptical, and I detest rowing (even if I feel it's a terrific exercise). If you enjoy it, then great! Nothing wrong with that.

There is about 3600 calories in 1lbs of fat. So, whether you do a HIIT or steady run matters very little, as you already know.

Doing anaerobic exercises, as I previously mentioned, brings more benefits.
My bad about the running mishap. Anyways I agree, but we weren't debating that previously. We were debating fat loss, sure HIIT has benefits that steady state doesn't have and the opposite is true as well, but this whole argument was about fat loss.

I'm not sure where you're going with the rest, it was never my contention that HIIT or crossfit weren't valuable tools for increasing fitness, they are, my whole argument was about fat loss only.

Old
04-03-2011, 11:34 PM
the vinyl version

I'm starting the Couch to 5k program next week, anyone here have any experience with it?

Also, anyone have a recommendation for an iPod touch (4g) armband case? Seems like all of the ones I see on the Apple store site get bad reviews.

the vinyl version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
I'm starting the Couch to 5k program next week, anyone here have any experience with it?

Also, anyone have a recommendation for an iPod touch (4g) armband case? Seems like all of the ones I see on the Apple store site get bad reviews.
SHould have gotten yourself one of these.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sans...ip-mp3-players

Wayyy cheaper than an Ipod and is great for training.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

I am familiar with the program. I run around 30km a week and can tell you the program will work if you stick to it. Remember the results are gradual and you won't be able to run 5k over night, but if you follow the routine with proper rest you will see your running improve drastically over the 9 or 10 week program?

Old
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:

It definitely works. I didn't finish it because I'm a lazy fat ass but I still saw huge improvements over the first few weeks. It's also much more motivating than just running until you're exhausted and can't go on anymore. If you're in really bad shape you will run the first 5 minutes and think "hah, this will be a piece of cake" but you'll still cough up your lungs near the end

good program, perfect for fat noobs

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:12 AM
the vinyl version

Quote:
I am familiar with the program. I run around 30km a week and can tell you the program will work if you stick to it. Remember the results are gradual and you won't be able to run 5k over night, but if you follow the routine with proper rest you will see your running improve drastically over the 9 or 10 week program?
Yeah, my plan is to follow the program exactly. I get pretty dedicated when I decide to do something.
Went out and bought some running shoes and an armband case for my ipod plus a few other things yesterday so I've already invested money into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
good program, perfect for fat noobs
Haha. Perfect for me then.

Old
04-05-2011, 05:46 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Yeah, my plan is to follow the program exactly. I get pretty dedicated when I decide to do something.
Went out and bought some running shoes and an armband case for my ipod plus a few other things yesterday so I've already invested money into it.

Haha. Perfect for me then.
Awesome, remember to not get discouraged over the gradual improvement and you'll absolutely love it.

Goodluck.

Old
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Galchenyuk94

Down from 172 to 165 (6'0). I don't know how I still lost weight, I've been going to restaurants and drinking more lately.

47 lbs of weight loss is good Curious to know how much muscle I added to see how much lbs of pure fat I lost, probably around 55 lbs I guess. Lightest i've ever been was 155 back when I was first year Midget, but I had a belly and sticks for arms and legs. Goes to show you what good nutrition and exercise does for you!

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:48 AM
the vinyl version

Completed my first day of the couch to 5k program. I struggled as much as I thought I would, but didn't have to quit and never stopped moving, so I'm happy with that as a starting point. I'll keep updating here as I go for anyone who's interested in the program.
Some background: I weigh about 148lbs currently, down from 247 at my peak in December of '09. I smoked for ten years and quit in November of '09.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Hate to be "the guy", but Wii Fit Plus has really changed me.

Lost 5lbs of unwanted bulk, toned my back, abdominal area, thighs and calves and feel great. Training just 1 hour a day, eating right and jogging for half an hour outside, I already feel better. Eventually, I'll start weight training when I buy weight equipment, but for now the game is doing wonders on starting me up.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Completed my first day of the couch to 5k program. I struggled as much as I thought I would, but didn't have to quit and never stopped moving, so I'm happy with that as a starting point. I'll keep updating here as I go for anyone who's interested in the program.
Some background: I weigh about 148lbs currently, down from 247 at my peak in December of '09. I smoked for ten years and quit in November of '09.
wow 148 from 247. Good job!!

Are you trying to lose even more weight or gain muscle?

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Hate to be "the guy", but Wii Fit Plus has really changed me.

Lost 5lbs of unwanted bulk, toned my back, abdominal area, thighs and calves and feel great. Training just 1 hour a day, eating right and jogging for half an hour outside, I already feel better. Eventually, I'll start weight training when I buy weight equipment, but for now the game is doing wonders on starting me up.
The Wii Fit is just a proof that any type of exercise is simply good.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
That's great, what's your goal? Seems you should be fine around what you are now?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 12:47 AM
the vinyl version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
wow 148 from 247. Good job!!

Are you trying to lose even more weight or gain muscle?
Thanks.
Right now I'm not so much paying attention to my weight as much as my body fat percentage. Seems a lot of guys here are into bulking up and stuff, which is fine if you like that look, but I'm more into being healthy and athletic enough to do some of the activities I like such as hiking and kayaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's great, what's your goal? Seems you should be fine around what you are now?
Yeah, for my build the 150-165 area is probably the best bet, but like I said above I'm just focused on BF% now.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I want to lose 20-30 pounds over May to August(including both months), without mega training and superb diet, what do you think I can reach? At the start of this thread(part 1), I was 250-255, I managed to go down to 240 ish pretty quickly, but couldn't maintain it as it was first time I ever tried to make a diet. I think I'm ready for a 2nd go. I want to be about 220-225 by 2012 but I want to try and get as much as possible done in the summer. What's a realistic expectation on moderate training/diet, 15 lbs?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I want to lose 20-30 pounds over May to August(including both months), without mega training and superb diet, what do you think I can reach? At the start of this thread(part 1), I was 250-255, I managed to go down to 240 ish pretty quickly, but couldn't maintain it as it was first time I ever tried to make a diet. I think I'm ready for a 2nd go. I want to be about 220-225 by 2012 but I want to try and get as much as possible done in the summer. What's a realistic expectation on moderate training/diet, 15 lbs?
You're a big guy, with just a bit of training and just by eating less you can lose that poundage. Just give yourself a bit more time, that's all. No need to make a diet, eat the same things, just eat less of it, without cutting the meat lol. Eat some enough meat, some fat and it doesn't matter for the rest.

No need for complex programs either. You can get to your goal with 2-4 exercises and short sessions no problem imo. While powerlifting, 80% of my training is just 3 exercises.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
You're a big guy, with just a bit of training and just by eating less you can lose that poundage. Just give yourself a bit more time, that's all. No need to make a diet, eat the same things, just eat less of it, without cutting the meat lol. Eat some enough meat, some fat and it doesn't matter for the rest.

No need for complex programs either. You can get to your goal with 2-4 exercises and short sessions no problem imo. While powerlifting, 80% of my training is just 3 exercises.
I eat pretty brutal, but I don't like to change my diet that much. The way I see it, it's better I make smarter choice about what I eat rather than eat what I dislike. I tend to eat a lot of junk food, and drink a lot of soft drinks. Figure, cutting ordering and soft drinks alone should make me automatically lose weight. The rest is really up to how much more I want to lose. I'm taking 4 classes this summer and looking for a job, so I prefer not to invest in a full our training regime.

I do want to do basic weight training, squats, bench presses, etc.. but I also want to try and get a nice job in every day. So we'll see how it ends up.

Edit: I assume, squats, deadlifts and ??

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 04-08-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old
04-08-2011, 01:39 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't have much experience in the weight loss area, but being a guy who used to say stuff like "I want to put on 25 pounds this summer" I'll add this. Lower your expectations. Not because you "can't do it", but because it'll be easier for you to stick to it if you're hitting the goals you set for yourself.

Look at it this way. Set your goal from May to August at 10 pounds. That might be 30% of what you came into this looking to lose, but over a full year that's still 30 pounds. Because lets face it, losing 30 pounds is a lifestyle change and not simply a diet. With only 4 months you aren't being fair to yourself.

And hey, nobody's saying you can't lose more than 10 pounds over that span. It's just that you should look at it as a bonus.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 01:42 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I don't have much experience in the weight loss area, but being a guy who used to say stuff like "I want to put on 25 pounds this summer" I'll add this. Lower your expectations. Not because you "can't do it", but because it'll be easier for you to stick to it if you're hitting the goals you set for yourself.

Look at it this way. Set your goal from May to August at 10 pounds. That might be 30% of what you came into this looking to lose, but over a full year that's still 30 pounds. Because lets face it, losing 30 pounds is a lifestyle change and not simply a diet. With only 4 months you aren't being fair to yourself.

And hey, nobody's saying you can't lose more than 10 pounds over that span. It's just that you should look at it as a bonus.
Oh no, I know. I'm merely setting it higher to push myself more. I haven't been under 240 in years, so I don't expect it to come that easy. Just want to lose, if I don't, oh well, at least I'll eat better and be in better shape. If I reach my goal, even better. My goal is merely a direction rather than an expectation.