HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

If you could ask Holmgren 1 question and 1 question only...

Old
04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
"Sup?"

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
How the **** did you get your job?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Why does no one on this stacked team you've built want to win?

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Why does no one on this stacked team you've built want to win?
Poop stacks......

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
True, it does seem a bit daft. If he clears though, it's quite a smart move. All depends on the outcome.
No it's not. If I spend my savings on lottery tickets, is that smart? Most people would say no. If I win the lottery does that make it smart? No it doesnt. I'm still a moron, it just worked out for me.

If I were a CFO taking such risks, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Cuiff

Can you please resign?

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
No it's not. If I spend my savings on lottery tickets, is that smart? Most people would say no. If I win the lottery does that make it smart? No it doesnt. I'm still a moron, it just worked out for me.

If I were a CFO taking such risks, I'd be fired in a heartbeat.
Not if your risks, on balance, pan out over time, and the company is highly profitable and competitive....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Not if your risks, on balance, pan out over time, and the company is highly profitable and competitive....
Larry, this might be the first thing you've ever posted that I agree with completely.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Larry, this might be the first thing you've ever posted that I agree with completely.
I'll try harder next time, coach, I promise.

And this probably belongs in the prospects thread, but did you get a chance to watch all the Rangers' games? I read that Tyler Brown and Akeson both played well.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I'll try harder next time, coach, I promise.

And this probably belongs in the prospects thread, but did you get a chance to watch all the Rangers' games? I read that Tyler Brown and Akeson both played well.
Brown was very good. Big, fast, strong, and a beast on the PK and forechecking. I think all three of his goals were shorties. It's not a big stretch to see him up with the big club as a 3rd/4th liner.

Akeson was invisible for a few games, got a hatty in one game where he was very good, and then okay the rest of the way through. He blocked a shot in game 7, then it looked like he twisted the same ankle a little later on the same play. He stayed in the game and played well for a guy skating on one leg. I honestly don't know that we'll ever see him on the Flyers, but he's a hell of a pickup for the Phantoms.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
LI Fly Guy

In the last 4 years teams you have built have:

Went to the ECF

Went to the palyoffs losing in 1st round to eventual cup champs.

Went to the Stanely Cup

Held 1 in East up until last week, most likely going to be 2 and win and Atlantic, and we'll see what happens from there.

With that being said, why does everyone on HF hate you so much?

I'm sure most fans from other teams would love to be us.

LI Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
agrudez*

Homer is doing to me what Reid has already done to me with the Eagles - cause my interest to wane.

Watching the same stupid **** year in and year out is really frustrating at first, but after awhile you get complacent and eventually you just stop caring because the stupid **** becomes the norm.

Keep trading first round picks, risking **** players to re-entry waivers and destroying our cap situation, Homer. You will always have the support of the homers (oh look, a pun) for at least another 2-3 years before we have to gut the team due to your ineptitude which every intellectually competent fan knew would happen.

Edit. For all the homers - a blind monkey could have managed this team into 2 ECFs and 1 SC appearance(s) when they were handed the young talent and cap space he was. All Homer has done is shorten this team's window DRAMATICALLY with his inept dealing of draft picks, mismanage the cap MULTIPLE times, make a ton of stupid, risky moves (even if some have panned out THUS FAR - like the insanely long contracts to Pronger, Richards and Carter (but god forbid one of them gets hurt, ever, or else we have a DiPietro situation)) and give us a bunch of sound bites that approach George W. Bush level of hilarity for their stupidity.

Last edited by agrudez*: 04-06-2011 at 01:41 PM.
agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
How the **** did you get your job?
And how the **** haven't you lost it yet?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:10 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
And how the **** haven't you lost it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy View Post
In the last 4 years teams you have built have:

Went to the ECF

Went to the palyoffs losing in 1st round to eventual cup champs.

Went to the Stanley Cup

Held 1 in East up until last week, most likely going to be 2 and win and Atlantic, and we'll see what happens from there.
And there's your answer. GMs don't get fired just because people on the internet think they could do a better job building a professional hockey team.

Last edited by ChumpyG: 04-06-2011 at 11:42 PM.
ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
We're top of the East, with his team.
We're reigning Eastern Champions, with his team.
We've got most of the team signed up for next year and beyond, most of them quite reasonably.

Small idiot things with this in mind = Forgiveable
think back to Feb. 24. The Flyers got their 40th win on that night against the Isles and were 40-15-6 and most thought headed to a 50 plus win season. Since that night they are 6-8-5 and heading in the wrong direction with the playoffs coming. The offense has gone south. the special teams are a wreck, and we have serious, and I mean SERIOUS question marks in goal. again. I would say that the concerns and the attitude people have around here are justified.

as far as the question goes to our winderfull GM since the obvious ones were already taken care of. I will ask this.

Are you serious about putting that ****ing punk Zac Rinaldo in a Flyers sweater anytime soon?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:00 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
One question?

"Why won't you just go away?"

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Slowbro

what a bunch of hater arm-chair GMs up in here

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:18 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
what a bunch of hater arm-chair GMs up in here
OMG PPL ARE KWESTINING THE GLORIOUZS LEADERZ!!!!1111ONEONE!!! TEH FLYERS ARE ABOVE REPROACH!!!!!

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Except that's not what's happening. They would need to be right 100% of the time and prove to be some sort of prophet haha. The first time he tried this he failed (Jones). A CFO would never be allowed to try it again.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
OMG PPL ARE KWESTINING THE GLORIOUZS LEADERZ!!!!1111ONEONE!!! TEH FLYERS ARE ABOVE REPROACH!!!!!
seriously? there is a difference between questioning him and pages and pages of unconditional hate for the man. he has made the flyers a top 3 NHL team.

basement dweller to ECF in one season then composed a team so deep that they made it to the SCF with LEIGHTON. is it his fault they lost? no, not at all. but it is certainly his responsibility that the flyers are considered a top tier NHL team. hate all you want but you look really dumb doing it.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:13 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
seriously? there is a difference between questioning him and pages and pages of unconditional hate for the man. he has made the flyers a top 3 NHL team.

basement dweller to ECF in one season then composed a team so deep that they made it to the SCF with LEIGHTON. is it his fault they lost? no, not at all. but it is certainly his responsibility that the flyers are considered a top tier NHL team. hate all you want but you look really dumb doing it.
I don't hate, and resorting to calling anyone who questions him a 'hater' is just juvenile.

We weren't a basement dweller. The team had one bad year which was more anomalous than anything else, and he turned it around by throwing a ton of cash around and signing the two most obvious FAs on the market. The team was bound to improve (dramatically) given the assets it had on hand.

I don't hate Holmgren. I simply find his brain-numbing stupid decisions and inability to learn incredibly annoying, especially when he hamstrings an already great team. We have a good team, but it could be better if he weren't - at times - unfathomably stupid.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:

People exaggerate the hate.

I think myself, Jester, and infidelappel are 3 of the biggest "haters" here, and none of us claim that Homer is a terrible GM. We just don't think he's the best either. He has his strengths and weaknesses.

I like to look at every decision and think "well what else could we have done" and "how can we be even better". I'm just as much about the method, as the result. Honestly, a good portion of the time, if Homer had just shown more patience before arriving at the same exact conclusions, I'd have had no issue with quite a few things.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Classic. I haven't seen anything from Larry that I have disagreed with yet. Kind of sums up which side we sit on

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
People exaggerate the hate.

I think myself, Jester, and infidelappel are 3 of the biggest "haters" here, and none of us claim that Homer is a terrible GM. We just don't think he's the best either. He has his strengths and weaknesses.

I like to look at every decision and think "well what else could we have done" and "how can we be even better". I'm just as much about the method, as the result. Honestly, a good portion of the time, if Homer had just shown more patience before arriving at the same exact conclusions, I'd have had no issue with quite a few things.
You keep saying how everyone thinks your a Hater. I don't. I don't think what you say is overly hateful on the Flyers, I disagree with you on your stance, but I get your reasons.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
phillyfanatic

There are two kinds of thoughts on Homer:
1. Those who see his mistakes and feel he is an idiot. They also see he has a good eye for talent, but they are not big fans of him as a GM. IMO, most dislike him because they feel he is not as intelligent as they are.

2. Those who see the success of the team and the job he did turning it around and overlook his errors. The team is considered a cup contender each year on paper - that is the GM's job. As long as he keeps building winners and re-signing our favorite players, we can overlook the Randy Jones moments.