HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Panthers @ Capitals. 4/6/11. 7PM. Verizon Center.

Old
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 0
It might have been just me, but back when Collins was here, I didn't see him being that bad. He's not great. He suffers a bit in his own zone, but he makes Sloan look ECHL bound.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
TRASHCAT

vCash: 500
doesnt look like theres goina be a thread. you could always make one unless you have some obvious caps avatar/name

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Iinm collins was pretty terrible in the preseason though. Not sure whether he had any honest chance of displacing sloan but I don't think that helped.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
It might have been just me, but back when Collins was here, I didn't see him being that bad. He's not great. He suffers a bit in his own zone, but he makes Sloan look ECHL bound.
from what ive heard collins was bad last season. back because alzner and carlson were gone from hershey and collins had a contract. but he spent a lot of last season and some of the early part of this season in hershey as a healthy scratch.
thats why fahey got the call up.

he apparantly has found his game. so....at training camp he wasnt better than sloan. now seems so.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:48 PM
EroCaps

Varly was very good. Collins too.

Schultz has a mangina.

/thoughts.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:56 PM
um

that caps made way to many passes to night we need to simplify it

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Looked solid tonight.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:03 PM
WingmanCD

Kind of feel sorry for Florida. They were trying so hard at the start and still getting walked over. Nice to see Varly in good form.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

In honor of my new avatar, and since the guy who usually posts the youtube hasn't shown yet....

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingmanCD View Post
Kind of feel sorry for Florida. They were trying so hard at the start and still getting walked over. Nice to see Varly in good form.
If by trying hard you mean trying to secure the chance to be a lottery pick then yes, they were warriors worthy of song and dance.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
you know this was invented by the Canadian National swimming team after a weekend bender right?

ok not really.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Cautious optimism building....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:41 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Cautious optimism building....
Urge to kill fading?

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Blackhawks down 2, Carolina cruising.
NHL bigwig must of had serious money on the Hawks?? Toronto review blantanly ignored the black puck overlapping the red line, to give them their 1st goal of the night, sparking the comeback.. You know it's total BS when Toews even says they got a "lucky one", then later on NHL Net TV they dont even show or mention the review/replays, in their highlight shows.. Total joke of a review board..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Funkyalligator

Personally I think the puck went in but that it was kicked in by hossa. It might have touched hossa's stick but you can't see that so it should have been waved off.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Quasimoto

Send a message via AIM to Quasimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
this team hates varly
why do you say that?

Quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:04 AM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto View Post
why do you say that?
because they suck in front of him anytime hes playing. too lazy to find the stats

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:49 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
because they suck in front of him anytime hes playing. too lazy to find the stats
At least they scored some goals for him tonight. They had been averaging like 1.75 goals per start for him over the last 20 starts.

I don't think Varly cares all that much about some late game laziness. He was good when it counted in the 1st period, and the game was long since salted away by the time Florida got their 2 goals.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
These mites-on-ice are the best skating kids I've ever seen
Completely random observation, but one of the mite goalies had what I consider easily the best mite save ever. Kicked the leg out to stop a shot. First time I've ever seen anything like that from a mite. He also had another good stop later.

To top it off, when they did the interview they grabbed the kid who scored the goal and apparently told Wes that the one he was interviewing was the goalie.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Completely random observation, but one of the mite goalies had what I consider easily the best mite save ever. Kicked the leg out to stop a shot. First time I've ever seen anything like that from a mite. He also had another good stop later.

To top it off, when they did the interview they grabbed the kid who scored the goal and apparently told Wes that the one he was interviewing was the goalie.
Hilarious, for once I decided to stay in my seat instead of running to the Turtle for an normal priced beer. Poor Wes was thrown into the fire on that one but he did pretty well considering. So funny.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
from what ive heard collins was bad last season. back because alzner and carlson were gone from hershey and collins had a contract. but he spent a lot of last season and some of the early part of this season in hershey as a healthy scratch.
thats why fahey got the call up.

he apparantly has found his game. so....at training camp he wasnt better than sloan. now seems so.
Collins played fine as a replacement/call-up during his original call-up in '08-09 and so far so good during this call-up. I never understood/never will understand the 2 year/1 way contract, which was signed during that time, but if he had a different contract, IMO, we would have seen him back before now this year.

Fact is with a one way contract requiring re-entry waivers, unless you are head and shoulders above another player or the team has zero cap issues (I believed and appears to be true that the Caps were banking room with a purpose pre-trade deadline and viewed Collins as an option after TDL), the player requiring re-entry waivers won't get the recall unless the only option. As far as training camp this year, I recall being underwhelmed but also being surprised they didn't give him a bigger chance knowing the contract.

Hershey has played 77 games this season and Collins has played in 73 of them (of the 4 AHL games he has missed this season, 2 were the games in Norfolk during this recall, so only missed 2 games prior to that this season and IIRC, he missed them due to an eye injury, not a healthy scratch.) With all the injuries in Hershey this season and McNeill missing the beginning of the season, he has been one of the steadiest and reliable dmen on the team, along with Wellar (in a different role.)

Definitely a solid season this year and with a two-way contract, likely he would have worn a Caps jersey before now. Had some ups and downs last season, but IMO, his worst stretch of play since his original NHL stint and the new contract was handed out was actually during that season and in the '08-09 AHL playoffs; confidence issues and mistakes on the ice as a result and was wishing for him to be benched during that stretch.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
LangwaysMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post

not to derail the GDT but youth hockey overall in the area is solidly improving. I played many moons ago in Monkey County for the Blue Devils and Little Caps and have been coaching for sometime up here in Northern MD and the competition is just getting better and better every year. Good to see local hockey making progress.

LangwaysMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Stimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangwaysMullet View Post
not to derail the GDT but youth hockey overall in the area is solidly improving. I played many moons ago in Monkey County for the Blue Devils and Little Caps and have been coaching for sometime up here in Northern MD and the competition is just getting better and better every year. Good to see local hockey making progress.
More derailment, my son played Monkey County Mite this past season, and they lost in an 1-0 OT semi-final game in the International Silver Sticks tournament. They beat two London, Ont. teams to get to that game. They also made the CBHL playoffs in a Squirt A division. There really is some good mite hockey in this area.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote