HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This teams missing something ?

Old
04-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Orange Crush 89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why don't you talk to the fans of the Leafs and ask them how much it sucks to miss the ****ing playoffs for 6 ****ing years in a row? Wanna change teams? Go for it, find yourself a team that better suits your needs and don't bother coming back.
I guess you're the ultimate fan then. Those who think they're better than everyone else because they have no issue suffering through disappointment. When a team is built to win the cup and doesn't, that is disappointment. The Flyers aren't the Leafs, or Thrashers or anyone else you care to throw in. I appreciate that the MANAGEMENT tries to win every year because I wouldn't follow a team that didn't, but after so long and so much promise it's ridiculous. Anything short of a Stanley Cup Championship this year WILL be a failure because this team is put together to win. Unfortunately that's only on paper and you cannot honestly judge the maturity and desire of a group of guys when it comes down to it. Typically the easiest way to win anything is through weaker opposition and they've had every chance to make sure they'd face nothing but that come the playoffs but the team has allowed that to slip away. But kudos to you, super fan.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't remember the guy in your avatar being a vocal leader but one who led by example.
He certainly was a vocal leader. He was always chirping at others on the ice and in the locker room, he wasn't afraid to raise his voice.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:04 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He certainly was a vocal leader. He was always chirping at others on the ice and in the locker room, he wasn't afraid to raise his voice.
He didn't call out teammates in public or seek out media attention. If he had something to say to a teammate, he did it behind closed doors, the way a captain should. And the way the current version does. He let his play on the ice speak, also similar to the current version.

I'll agree that Clarke was a world class chirper to his opponents - loved that.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
How much of a role did Gagne play in lockeroom?

I know with Hawks Sopel , Burish , Ladd and Versteeg missing from lockerroom has been very evident. Those guys tended to keep the lockerroom loose (Steeger and Burish) or lead by example and experience (Sopel , Madden and Ladd)
I think Gagne likely commanded a great deal of respect in the lockerroom, both based on his play and experience, and his status as the longest tenured Flyer. I think his presence on the ice is missed more than his dressing room presence though.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
He didn't call out teammates in public or seek out media attention. If he had something to say to a teammate, he did it behind closed doors, the way a captain should. And the way the current version does. He let his play on the ice speak, also similar to the current version.

Absolutely. He talked on the ice just as Richards does. I'd much rather have a leader who doesn't throw his teammates under the bus in the media, whether directly or by innuendo (yes, Pronger, I'm looking at you!), than one who does. As I don't have access to the locker room I can't say what he's like behind closed doors but in reading comments he made in a recent article, he pulls guys aside and doesn't embarrass them. That's a leader!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
I guess you're the ultimate fan then. Those who think they're better than everyone else because they have no issue suffering through disappointment. When a team is built to win the cup and doesn't, that is disappointment. The Flyers aren't the Leafs, or Thrashers or anyone else you care to throw in. I appreciate that the MANAGEMENT tries to win every year because I wouldn't follow a team that didn't, but after so long and so much promise it's ridiculous. Anything short of a Stanley Cup Championship this year WILL be a failure because this team is put together to win. Unfortunately that's only on paper and you cannot honestly judge the maturity and desire of a group of guys when it comes down to it. Typically the easiest way to win anything is through weaker opposition and they've had every chance to make sure they'd face nothing but that come the playoffs but the team has allowed that to slip away. But kudos to you, super fan.
My God, you just don't get it! Do you think Philly is the only team that's built to win it? What do you think about Vancouver? Detroit? Boston? Several other teams are peaking now. Stop acting like we as Flyer fans are entitled to a cup, many teams/fanbases feel they are the team to beat yet one of sixteen will win. That means fifteen will not. That's sport.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Absolutely. He talked on the ice just as Richards does. I'd much rather have a leader who doesn't throw his teammates under the bus in the media, whether directly or by innuendo (yes, Pronger, I'm looking at you!), than one who does. As I don't have access to the locker room I can't say what he's like behind closed doors but in reading comments he made in a recent article, he pulls guys aside and doesn't embarrass them. That's a leader!
I look at a guy like Mark Messier and that's exactly the type of leader the Flyers need. They don't need their leader to be their friend - they need their leader to lead them. Never once did I say that they need to take potshots at anyone through the media, but on the ice and in the locker room, they need someone who is going to hold himself and the group accountable. And that seems to be the one thing that's missing - accountability. Yes, it was nice to see Richards after the Ottawa game stand up and put himself in the line of fire, but this was something that needed to be done 19 games ago......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
I look at a guy like Mark Messier and that's exactly the type of leader the Flyers need. They don't need their leader to be their friend - they need their leader to lead them. Never once did I say that they need to take potshots at anyone through the media, but on the ice and in the locker room, they need someone who is going to hold himself and the group accountable. And that seems to be the one thing that's missing - accountability. Yes, it was nice to see Richards after the Ottawa game stand up and put himself in the line of fire, but this was something that needed to be done 19 games ago......
How do you know that Richards doesn't hold his teammates accountable? How do you know what is said in the dressing room or on the ice at practice?

You don't.

You can make **** up all day long... doesn't make it fact.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
How do you know that Richards doesn't hold his teammates accountable? How do you know what is said in the dressing room or on the ice at practice?

You don't.

You can make **** up all day long... doesn't make it fact.
To be fair, their play on the ice the past two months is making him look bad as a leader (and Lavy as a coach, and somehow Carter is at fault, and Briere as a center, and Bob as a goalie, etc, etc). He is not calling guys out that we can see. All we know is, this team is not playing well and the leader is not saying anything.

P.S. If he repeats last year and takes them on his back through the playoffs, he will be heralded as a great leader as usual. It is what it is.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
To be fair, their play on the ice the past two months is making him look bad as a leader (and Lavy as a coach, and somehow Carter is at fault, and Briere as a center, and Bob as a goalie, etc, etc). He is not calling guys out that we can see. All we know is, this team is not playing well and the leader is not saying anything.

P.S. If he repeats last year and takes them on his back through the playoffs, he will be heralded as a great leader as usual. It is what it is.
We don't know if he's calling them out or not. For all we know he's grilling them.

Just because he doesn't keep the press appraised about every word he says to the team doesn't mean he isn't doing anything.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We don't know if he's calling them out or not. For all we know he's grilling them.

Just because he doesn't keep the press appraised about every word he says to the team doesn't mean he isn't doing anything.
^^ what he said.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Here is Richards' comment
Quote:
Quote:
ďA lack of intensity and focus for these game led by me and itís gotta change and itís going to change starting Friday,Ē Richards vowed. ďItís extremely frustrating. Itís tough to come into a building when we desperately need the points and just not play well.Ē

This is downright pathetic and shows exactly why he should not be captain. You do not wait until the last two games of the season to "figure it out". It is like the child who procrastinates doing his work until the last minute and try and cram study. Once or twice you may pass and get a grade, but most likely you will fail.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Is this the first comment you've ever read by Richards?

It's the way he always speaks and always has. He takes the blame for everything the team does wrong, and none of the credit when the he or the team does well. It's just the way he is.
I really cannot believe you are saying this, it is really a shame that fans truly believe this is the ideal leader. Taking the blame? Where has he been over the last month and a half?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
This is downright pathetic and shows exactly why he should not be captain. You do not wait until the last two games of the season to "figure it out". It is like the child who procrastinates doing his work until the last minute and try and cram study. Once or twice you may pass and get a grade, but most likely you will fail.
Would you have preferred he said nothing??

Holy ****.

When are you going to add something useful to this forum?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
I really cannot believe you are saying this, it is really a shame that fans truly believe this is the ideal leader. Taking the blame? Where has he been over the last month and a half?
Because he hasn't given you a personal interview with insights into his psyche and all the inner workings of the team, he's a **** leader?

You and I, along with 99.99% of Flyers fans have no ****ing idea what he says behind closed doors, and in dealings with his teammates. NO ****ING CLUE.

However, for the last month and half, I'm sure he's been ****faced on Jack Daniels and Patrone.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
^^ what he said.
haha, favor repaid

Old
04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I've always thought this franchise needs a vocal, blood and guts type leader. Take a look at some of the past captains of the franchise and you'll see they've all got that "it" when it came to leadership. Not only that, but there was also an element of fear and respect in that nobody ever crossed the captain. I don't get that from this group. People can say what they want, but there needs to be some sort of hierarchy in terms of captain and subordinates. Everyone is just so friendly on this team that it seems like the captain doesn't want to rock the boat. I think Mike needs to separate himself from being everyone's friend and be the leader he can be. Unfortunately, this is a learning curve that he'll have to figure out on his own
Very well said, and he needs to decide what type of player he wants to be on the ice as well. I would prefer he goes back to being a guy who just grinds out the games, plays hard every shift, and not the fancy try and deke a couple guys, make a blind pass across the crease or the passes across the ice which eventually get intercepted.

I have said it before, Mike wears the C but Pronger is the true leader on this team.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
I have said it before, Mike wears the C but Pronger is the true leader on this team.
Link?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Because he hasn't given you a personal interview with insights into his psyche and all the inner workings of the team, he's a **** leader?

You and I, along with 99.99% of Flyers fans have no ****ing idea what he says behind closed doors, and in dealings with his teammates. NO ****ING CLUE.

However, for the last month and half, I'm sure he's been ****faced on Jack Daniels and Patrone.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Do you have any pics that were taken since 2008 by chance?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I do understand your point, and I firmly believe that this generation of Flyers fans deserves and needs to see them raise the Cup.

But every year, 29 teams don't raise the Cup. It doesn't mean those teams are worthless. The world is not black and white. There is a hell of a lot of gray in there, and a lot good stuff happens in the gray area.
So there is a trophy for second place?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:15 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
So there is a trophy for second place?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Very well said, and he needs to decide what type of player he wants to be on the ice as well. I would prefer he goes back to being a guy who just grinds out the games, plays hard every shift, and not the fancy try and deke a couple guys, make a blind pass across the crease or the passes across the ice which eventually get intercepted.

What position do you play on the Philadelphia Flyers, or what position do you hold as coach? Because that's more or less the only way you could possibly know that, or comment on it credibly.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

And the play on the ice has led to a very poor effort on the ice by this team, as a leader he should be accountable for a drop in team play, correct? So with two games left he says they need to get their act together? You really cannot make this stuff up, I am just amazed that you can actually go out of your way and commend him for the poor effort from this team over the last month and a half.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
And the play on the ice has led to a very poor effort on the ice by this team, as a leader he should be accountable for a drop in team play, correct? So with two games left he says they need to get their act together? You really cannot make this stuff up, I am just amazed that you can actually go out of your way and commend him for the poor effort from this team over the last month and a half.