HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing with glasses

Old
03-31-2011, 06:43 PM
mikeda1940

vCash: 500
Playing with glasses

Any of you folks take the ice with glasses on? Any tips on how to keep them from fogging?

mikeda1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
WickedWrister

yeah.

contacts

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I don't have a real problem with my glasses fogging, but I wear a skullcap under my helmet that keeps the sweat away from my face.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

might be able to use the same spray people use on full face visors to keep them from fogging up. I never needed glasses until I was in high school, and I never played with glasses when I played hockey during high school, but it probably would have helped my game a bit. I was probably just too worried about getting beaked

I've played at stick and puck sessions here and there , and a crap ton of outdoor hockey over the past 5 years, my glasses never fogged up too much. If you breathe out through your nose, or make a conscious effort not to breath "upwards" you'r glasses probably aren't going to fog up very much, if at all.

I need glasses to drive and such, but I really should get contacts, cuz I wanna join Adult safe this summer, and need better vision on the ice.

too lazy to go get em though, and still apprehensive of putting contacts in my eyes

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:26 PM
mikeda1940

Yah, I just don't like contacts and haven't worn them in years. And my vision isnt good enough to go without anything. Visor spray might be a good idea, though.

mikeda1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:26 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I wear glasses everytime i go out. My helmet doesnt interfere and they never fog up. Only issue is when I sweat I get sweat drops on my glasses and have to wipe them off everytime i get to the bench.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
and still apprehensive of putting contacts in my eyes
I have the same issue, I just can't stand to have them in. Putting them in is a struggle, my eyes itch like mad...and once they're in my eyes go bloodshot and drive me nuts for a couple hours. My glasses don't fit under my helmet, so I just go without when I play...but it really does hurt your passing/receiving game.

Someone invent the world's first prescription visor!

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:06 AM
TheRustyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
I have the same issue, I just can't stand to have them in. Putting them in is a struggle, my eyes itch like mad...and once they're in my eyes go bloodshot and drive me nuts for a couple hours. My glasses don't fit under my helmet, so I just go without when I play...but it really does hurt your passing/receiving game.

Someone invent the world's first prescription visor!
I had the same problem with contacts my first attempt at wearing them. During high school, I struggled with my contacts every morning trying to get them in a position where they were confortable, a lot of times just giving up and using glasses.

Some things to try:

Try some higher quality contracts if you are using cheaper ones.

Make sure that your optometrist is checking you for astigmatism and prescribing special contacts if you do.

After switching optometrists, I was diagnosed with astigmatism (eye balls/lens shaped more like a football, unlike the regular sphere shape). The ended up prescribing me a different type of contacts (toric) than before (Better quality. That lets more oxygen through.). Guess what? No more stinging and itching. Would have been nice if I had a correct diagnosis the first time....

TheRustyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:03 AM
pelts35.com

C-Clear works pretty good. But, as a goalie, I ended up going the contact lens route.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyJet View Post
I had the same problem with contacts my first attempt at wearing them. During high school, I struggled with my contacts every morning trying to get them in a position where they were confortable, a lot of times just giving up and using glasses.

Some things to try:

Try some higher quality contracts if you are using cheaper ones.

Make sure that your optometrist is checking you for astigmatism and prescribing special contacts if you do.

After switching optometrists, I was diagnosed with astigmatism (eye balls/lens shaped more like a football, unlike the regular sphere shape). The ended up prescribing me a different type of contacts (toric) than before (Better quality. That lets more oxygen through.). Guess what? No more stinging and itching. Would have been nice if I had a correct diagnosis the first time....
Completely agree, I had contacts from about 7 years ago replaced with toric ones a year and a half ago and the difference is dramatically different. It's like you don't have any on!

edit to add that if your optometrist is nice they might give you a free trial pair

Last edited by Ozolinsh_27: 04-01-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
AIREAYE

Never had mine fog up while playing or even on the bench, only in the locker rooms

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Frankie Spankie

I always wear glasses while playing and they never fog up. On the very few occassions they do fog up, they'll clear up after literally 3 or 4 strides on the ice.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

I had gone without the glasses for several years when I first started playing. I could see well enough to play without them, but did notice that I was not receiving passes too well. (my novice abilities notwithstanding) I tried wearing the goggles I still had from my navy days (technically they were gas mask inserts), but they always fogged up. I gave that up after just a couple of skates. What really did it for me was when I started reffing and my glasses fogged up then. That's when I went to contacts, and I was amazed at the difference. I noticed a difference in catching passes that very first night. I won't go back to glasses now.

That being said, I can relay some things I looked into BC (before contacts). If you just can't wear contacts, you might try some sports goggles. They make some that should fit under your helmet, and are designed not to fog so easily (so they claim). You can try the anti-fog spray, or something that was passed on to me - rub a very very thin film of shampoo on your glasses lenses, then wipe them almost clean with a soft cloth. The thin layer prevents fog from forming but won't distort the view, if done right. I have done this a couple of times, while trying to make the glasses under the helmet thing work, and it works pretty well.

I still am a total contacts convert, and think they are the way to go. but Bopefully, you'll find something here helpful.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Jordo

I used to use dish washing soap like Dawn or Palmolive. Wipe it on your glasses lenses and give it a quick wash with water. It would make a film over the glass and prevent fogging for a bit. I dont remember if it worked amazing all the time but it worked alright for me before I moved to contacts.

Jordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Fleuryoutside29

There are two guys on my team that wear rec specks. They look funny as hell but they never seem to have any problem with them.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Sean Avery should be wearing shades like in his mug shot

His Beardliness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Degenerate191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryoutside29 View Post
There are two guys on my team that wear rec specks. They look funny as hell but they never seem to have any problem with them.
I wear rec specs, and I like them a lot. I had a ton of fogging issues with them though. I tried like 5 different visor sprays that failed badly, until I came across the shampoo trick, and it works great. They do look really funny though.

Degenerate191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
DoYouBeleaf

Wash them with shampoo, did the trick for me before I switched to contacts.

DoYouBeleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Pangolin

I wear contacts for hockey...
But we wash the mask with toothpaste so it doesn't fog up for scuba diving...So could try that too..

Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 04:53 AM
nullterm

Used to every game. Now rarely as I bought daily contacts online relatively cheap. Pop em in before the game then throw em out after. Occasionally when it's too much of a pain getting my contacts in (or feeling lazy) then I just wear glasses.

Fogging has never been an issue, my half visor has more issue than my glasses.

The biggest issue I found was helmets that fit with my glasses on with the padding around the temples.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote