HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens sign Miami Red Hawk forward Pat Cannone (confirmed post 54)

Old
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
Das Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Tim Murray was alluding to this signing the other day, never a bad thing I suppose to have more prospect depth. Actually pumped the more I think of it. Anyone off the top their heads know the contract number we are at for next year?
I believe the Sens are at 49 contracts right now including this guy, but Leclaire & a few others I expect will not be re-signed for next season.

May not be re-sign: Svatos, Shannon, Lessard, Hale, Benoit, Keller, Brodeur, McElhinney, Potulny & maybe a couple of RFAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senswon View Post
6ft, 200lbs, left winger (can also play C)

Le depth
Wow, he continues to grow & get bigger as we speak, I mean write ...
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=99512

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
May not be re-sign: Svatos, Shannon, Lessard, Hale, Benoit, Keller, Brodeur, McElhinney, Potulny & maybe a couple of RFAs.
I like Benoit and hope we keep him. I don't mind if we keep Shannon and Hale. The rest I absolutely don't care about. Except Lessard. He needs to go.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

He better play at least 20 minutes and on the top 2 lines, or Kleinendorst is an idiot.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:24 PM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
Thish Shipsh a Shchooner

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Still no news about it on the Sens web though

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
I have many Redhawks games taped so I have actually seen Cannone play a lot, I'll give a scouting report.

He's got decent size (5'11, 192lbs as listed on the Redhawks site) and works hard. He was an assistant captain on the Redhawks and like the other captains Camper and Meile, he signed a contract so he won't be back. Cannone forechecks hard thanks to his speed, and gives his all most of the time. He can play all three forward positions, and from what I've seen he's good in the faceoff circle. He's quite solid along the boards and tries to contribute defensively but that's not really his game. I know most of you guys expect him to be a grinder/future bottom 6 forward but he is very skilled. He's got slick hands, offensive awareness and a playmaking ability that one of the announcers called "the best in the NCAA" on two seperate occasions. Huge praise as the announcer (Matt Shepard) sees his fare share of NCAA games, and he plays on the same team as Andy Meile (71P) and Carter Camper (57P). The skill certainly isn't missing. He plays with Meile and Camper on the #1PP everytime the opposing team takes a penalty. When the team isn't on the PP he usually plays 2nd line minutes. I'm not sure if he has top 6 potential, but if he didn't have NHL potential Murray wouldn't have signed him. I'm very happy with the signing.

He is 24 though. I won't get too excited until he shows he can produce in Binghampton. He's an underrated player though and one that could be playing on this team down the road if his development goes smoothly.

Last edited by Hale The Villain: 04-07-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Thanks for the report Villain!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
German Senator

Not really the player i had in mind but i am ok with that. Given his age he will sign a one year ELC like Greening did last year. Good deal to make sure Bingo has enough depth next year and test Cannone what he can do at the pro level.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Not in the NHL.
Are you having a bad day?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Manny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Are you having a bad day?
His stats are nothing special, especially given his age. He'll be lucky to play in the NHL, and will almost certainly never occupy a spot in the top-six. Da Costa and Butler both greatly exceeded Cannone's numbers at a younger age and I would consider Butler a tweener and Da Costa a longshot to play in the top-six.

Every time we sign somebody or acquire a player via trade, everybody hopes they can be a top-six guy or an NHL calibre player when they don't project to be. It happened with Potulny, it happened with Hamilton, it happened with Da Costa. I understand people are optimistic, but we should temper our expectations a little.

It's a depth move. If he plays really well in Binghamton, he could get a few games in the NHL to fill in for an injured player in the future.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
His stats are nothing special, especially given his age. He'll be lucky to play in the NHL, and will almost certainly never occupy a spot in the top-six. Da Costa and Butler both greatly exceeded Cannone's numbers at a younger age and I would consider Butler a tweener and Da Costa a longshot to play in the top-six.

Every time we sign somebody or acquire a player via trade, everybody hopes they can be a top-six guy or an NHL calibre player when they don't project to be. It happened with Potulny, it happened with Hamilton, it happened with Da Costa. I understand people are optimistic, but we should temper our expectations a little.

It's a depth move. If he plays really well in Binghamton, he could get a few games in the NHL to fill in for an injured player in the future.
It really didn't happen with Potulny or Hamilton. And regarding Da Costa, every team in the league that could fit him had interest...What Da Costa's done so far has actually made him look like a scoring line forward...and the term top 9 forward is actually becoming popular as teams are starting to go with more skill on their third lines.

The person you responded to said "bottom 6 NHL potential" anyways.

And numbers don't necessarily mean very much. And that's not me implying I think he's got top 6 potential, or even NHL potential, because. I. have. never. even. seen. him. skate.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Tim Murray was alluding to this signing the other day, never a bad thing I suppose to have more prospect depth. Actually pumped the more I think of it. Anyone off the top their heads know the contract number we are at for next year?
I seem to recall someone said we're around 40 for signed next season. Although that MAY be completely wrong...

But OT, who exactly is this guy? Anyone know anything about him?

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
What'd he say?

Are you talking about the junior college player they were high on that they didn't know whether he'd leave or not? I don't think Cannone is that guy.
Yeah you are right, was just thrown off because T. Murray said that there was only one NCAA target. A NCAA scout must of called into the Murray's and asked to sign this kid, I doubt there was too much competition (Regardless very excited he is joining the organization)

Just also realized, this may be the last move under the Murray administration

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
I seem to recall someone said we're around 40 for signed next season. Although that MAY be completely wrong...

But OT, who exactly is this guy? Anyone know anything about him?
Looks like he was co-captain, statistics scream that he is bottom six potential.

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:50 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Interesting, Da Costa had better numbers than Butler and at a younger age. Plus, Melnyk said he expects him to play top 6 minutes next year.

What makes you think otherwise? I am not disagreeing with you i just want to know why you think that.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Interesting, Da Costa had better numbers than Butler and at a younger age. Plus, Melnyk said he expects him to play top 6 minutes next year.

What makes you think otherwise? I am not disagreeing with you i just want to know why you think that.
Melnyk is like Eklund when it comes to predictions.

Not saying Da Costa doesn't have top-6 potential though.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Melnyk also said buckle your seat belts we're going all the way & we promptly went into last place in the Conference. I get the impression that he says things that he hopes will translate into selling more tickets.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:48 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Depth is never a bad thing

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
Melnyk is like Eklund when it comes to predictions.

Not saying Da Costa doesn't have top-6 potential though.
Quote:
Melnyk also said buckle your seat belts we're going all the way & we promptly went into last place in the Conference. I get the impression that he says things that he hopes will translate into selling more tickets.
Okay okay, let's remove the the Melnyk factor.

Da Costa definitely has some sweet hands and great vision. If he works out hard this summer i don't see no reason why he can't battle for top 6 minutes next year.

Old
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Da Costa definitely has some sweet hands and great vision. If he works out hard this summer i don't see no reason why he can't battle for top 6 minutes next year.
Yeah there probably is top 6 skill there as long as the skating comes up.
He keeps reminding me of Kadri.

Old
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah there probably is top 6 skill there as long as the skating comes up.
He keeps reminding me of Kadri.
I do, he seems small on the ice, soft, slow & doesn't play with enough passion or determination which IMO is what also sets him apart from Kadri. Kadri to me anyways plays with more emotion & determination. I hope the kid works out but so far I don't see enough from him to think he is an NHL player at this point. Kadri got sent to the AHL too for most of the yr & he was a high draft pick, I think Da Costa starts the yr in Bingo next season.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
I do, he seems small on the ice, soft, slow & doesn't play with enough passion or determination which IMO is what also sets him apart from Kadri. Kadri to me anyways plays with more emotion & determination. I hope the kid works out but so far I don't see enough from him to think he is an NHL player at this point. Kadri got sent to the AHL too for most of the yr & he was a high draft pick, I think Da Costa starts the yr in Bingo next season.
Agreed. Although I've got to say that I've been insanely impressed with Da Costa's ability to create turnovers. He effortlessly strips the puck from players, and almost never coughs it up.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:44 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Troopa View Post
Agreed. Although I've got to say that I've been insanely impressed with Da Costa's ability to create turnovers. He effortlessly strips the puck from players, and almost never coughs it up.
This, he is an excellent backchecker and has surprised me with his physical play.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

So Miele, Camper and Smith were Miami's top line, correct? (side note, Reilly Smith is a great prospect). So, this guy put up almost a PPG playing on the team's second line? That is pretty sick.

Ottawa must know Miami's system fairly well given that Widemen plays there.

He's probably more of a signing for Bingo but it'll be interesting to see how he does .

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Still no news about it on the Sens web though
Pierre Dorion was interviewed on CKOI (formely CJRC) last night. Pierre never mentioned him when asked him about all the college players signed by the team. The host then asked about Cannone and Dorion was really surprised and said that it wasn't official yet.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote