HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacob Silfverberg

Old
04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

vCash: 500
Jacob Silfverberg

With all this talk about Butler, Da Costa, Condra and Greening people here are slowly forgetting about Jacob Silfverberg as one of our top prospects. From what I see he has the most skill out of all these players and could easily push for a roster spot soon and maybe bump one of these kids down the chart. I'm pretty sure people have said he won't come over next year which is a shame because the kid has an NHL shot, has great hands and speed. He has a big enough body to ajust to the NA game and I hope hes here by 2012-2013. When he does make the line up where would you pencil him giving our current roster?

Heres 2 vids to refresh some peoples memories, ones a highlight package the other one is our scouts after the 09 draft talking about his upside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQM1B...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkg7...eature=related

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
operasen

I agree he has talent but he is signed over in Sweden next year, not year. Indeed, he does not have a contract here (I believe). We need to get him to sign on and come over to show us what he's got at Prospect and Training Camp at least.

operasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Nobody has forgotten about him, but you forgot how to spell his name.

I still think he's our top forward prospect right now.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Nobody has forgotten about him, but you forgot how to spell his name.

I still think he's our top forward prospect right now.
Haha yea bored at work and I always let that C slip in there instead of the K. Just posting this up to create some buzz around the youth we have, been a while since we've have the cupboards in our farm system so high.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Afro Thunder*

Holy **** at that shot, needs to use it more.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Holy **** at that shot, needs to use it more.
My thoughts exactly, imagine when he packs on a few pounds and Alfy gives him a few pointers, that laser will be unreal.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

I doubt he cracks the Sens next year other than as a 4th liner, so another year in the SEL is fine if it ends up going that route.

He is more of a finisher than pure skill guy, but that is actually ok and a key need for us. Nice to have some guys that like to shoot and have a quick trigger, in particular with a center like Spezza, and perhaps another play making center through this draft, not to mention Da Costa if he can develop into an NHL center.

Silfverberg and Butler are potentialy scoring line wingers in the system now, and along with Michalek, we might have some decent depth in a few years if we can add anotehr winger or two in this draft. Petersson also has scoring line potential, but he is a bit more of a wildcard at this point. Silfverberg has a big frame, which is a bonus, as ideally he ends up being a bit of a Holmstrom for us. The rest of our winger prospects are really more depth guys, as it is a big hole in our system right now.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Silfverberg has already stated that he'll come over when HE feels that he is ready; that's why he signed a year extension in the SEL.

12/13 maybe.... we'll see how next season goes.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
Silfverberg has already stated that he'll come over when HE feels that he is ready; that's why he signed a year extension in the SEL.

12/13 maybe.... we'll see how next season goes.
Hopefully he can pull a Rundblad and go beyond expectations next year in the SEL and put him on the radar coming into 12-13 season. Fingers crossed

Old
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I doubt he cracks the Sens next year other than as a 4th liner, so another year in the SEL is fine if it ends up going that route.

He is more of a finisher than pure skill guy, but that is actually ok and a key need for us. Nice to have some guys that like to shoot and have a quick trigger, in particular with a center like Spezza, and perhaps another play making center through this draft, not to mention Da Costa if he can develop into an NHL center.

Silfverberg and Butler are potentialy scoring line wingers in the system now, and along with Michalek, we might have some decent depth in a few years if we can add anotehr winger or two in this draft. Petersson also has scoring line potential, but he is a bit more of a wildcard at this point. Silfverberg has a big frame, which is a bonus, as ideally he ends up being a bit of a Holmstrom for us. The rest of our winger prospects are really more depth guys, as it is a big hole in our system right now.
Out of curiosity how much do you watch Silfverberg play? (Genuine interest.)

From what I've seen he could crack our line-up today at the third line at least if not a 2nd or 1st line forward (Silfverberg or Butler??), especially with our current depth. With that in mind recently, as I've said before, a Swedish poster with no affiliation to Ottawa said that he sees Silfverberg as a more versatile version of Loui Eriksson. He may still have 1st line upside.

To those talking about his shot: yes, it's amazing. On top of that he's got good skating, good size, and a great two way game to go with his great hockey sense and finishing ability.

Haven't the Ottawa brass already said that they expect Silfverberg to play for the big team at some point next season?

Old
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
I stopped reading here, have you seen our line up?

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Herc Man
AmandaHugincis

Kid has talent for sure.

Is it just me, or does the SEL have the worst jerseys ever? Not sure if I'm going to have a seizure or just plain puke when I have to watch clips done over there.

Herc Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Out of curiosity how much do you watch Silfverberg play? (Genuine interest.)

From what I've seen he could crack our line-up today at the third line at least if not a 2nd or 1st line forward (Silfverberg or Butler??), especially with our current depth. With that in mind recently, as I've said before, a Swedish poster with no affiliation to Ottawa said that he sees Silfverberg as a more versatile version of Loui Eriksson. He may still have 1st line upside.

To those talking about his shot: yes, it's amazing. On top of that he's got good skating, good size, and a great two way game to go with his great hockey sense and finishing ability.

Haven't the Ottawa brass already said that they expect Silfverberg to play for the big team at some point next season?
I've seen Silfverberg play live 3 times, and on tv about the same I think. I've only seen him a bit this year though. But I've seen this story before.

It's not that he CAN'T make the roster, it's just that when a player comes over from playing exclusively in Europe in takes quite a bit of time to adjust to the size of the rink, new rules and the overall space (lack thereof) and lack of time (much faster), you need to give them time. The NHL is typically no place for them to learn, especially a 21 year old still developing. We've seen this with Karlsson who is two years into his NA time, and went through a bad slump as recently as a month ago (d-men are harder of course, but Karlsson is comparitely more skilled than Silfverberg too).

Take a guy like Arttu Luttinen. He came over as a much more mature prospect who had produced a lot more in europe in the SM-Liiga than Silfverberg to this point. He was big and physical and a similar style winger to Silfverberg, but had a heck of time adjusting to NA hockey. Sometimes its even tougher when you are big and play physical to a degree, because what you have been able to do with your size in Europe, simply doesn't work in NA. For some anyway. Now Silfverberg is a better prospect than Luttinen, but in terms of an adjustment, I expect the same to happen (although I'm happy to be wrong!)

Given i don't see him as a top 6 winger to start or on a checking line with a bunch of dump and chase guys (Winchester, Neil, Foligno etc.), then where is he better developing? He'll end up in Bingo most likely, in particular because we want him to get time on the PP and get used to the PP in NA on the smaller ice. He could get called up mid-season I suppose and he could even wow in training camp and end up on Spezza's wing, but I'd bet a lot of money a guy like Butler will be in better position to land a spot on Spezza's wing, not to mention guys like Alfie and Michalek.

While we don't have a lot of scoring depth, I'm inclined to think guys like Foligno, Regin, Neil, Condra, Butler, Greening and O'Brien are more likely to crack our line-up than a guy like Silfverberg, even though his skills ultimately may end up better than most of those guys.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I'm a big fan of Silfverberg, I think he'll end up as a winger on either the 2nd or 3rd line.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Iggy77

I think Murray or Dorion said they'd like him here next year.

Half a year in Bingo and the rest in Ottawa or something to that effect.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
I've seen Silfverberg play live 3 times, and on tv about the same I think. I've only seen him a bit this year though. But I've seen this story before.

It's not that he CAN'T make the roster, it's just that when a player comes over from playing exclusively in Europe in takes quite a bit of time to adjust to the size of the rink, new rules and the overall space (lack thereof) and lack of time (much faster), you need to give them time. The NHL is typically no place for them to learn, especially a 21 year old still developing. We've seen this with Karlsson who is two years into his NA time, and went through a bad slump as recently as a month ago (d-men are harder of course, but Karlsson is comparitely more skilled than Silfverberg too).

Take a guy like Arttu Luttinen. He came over as a much more mature prospect who had produced a lot more in europe in the SM-Liiga than Silfverberg to this point. He was big and physical and a similar style winger to Silfverberg, but had a heck of time adjusting to NA hockey. Sometimes its even tougher when you are big and play physical to a degree, because what you have been able to do with your size in Europe, simply doesn't work in NA. For some anyway. Now Silfverberg is a better prospect than Luttinen, but in terms of an adjustment, I expect the same to happen (although I'm happy to be wrong!)

Given i don't see him as a top 6 winger to start or on a checking line with a bunch of dump and chase guys (Winchester, Neil, Foligno etc.), then where is he better developing? He'll end up in Bingo most likely, in particular because we want him to get time on the PP and get used to the PP in NA on the smaller ice. He could get called up mid-season I suppose and he could even wow in training camp and end up on Spezza's wing, but I'd bet a lot of money a guy like Butler will be in better position to land a spot on Spezza's wing, not to mention guys like Alfie and Michalek.

While we don't have a lot of scoring depth, I'm inclined to think guys like Foligno, Regin, Neil, Condra, Butler, Greening and O'Brien are more likely to crack our line-up than a guy like Silfverberg, even though his skills ultimately may end up better than most of those guys.
Word. I've seen a few of his games this year (random streams, saved files sent to me) and all of his youtube videos . With that in mind I guess where we differ is that I think he's already better than Butler/Greening/Condra/Foligno. His two way game alone should earn him a spot on the 3rd line I think he's a more proficient finisher than Butler, but bigger and with just as good if not better hockey sense. On top of that he can actually dig for garbage goals.

We'll see where he goes I guess. Sens management say they want him on the team next year, but ultimately I guess it's up to him.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

I dunno. That ice surface is so big that it's hard to gauge how well he'd do on an NHL size rink against much bigger, faster, physical competition.
I'd give him nearly zero chance of making the Sens roster from camp, but after 1/2 season in Bingo, we'd have a much better idea of what he can bring.
I just find it really hard to translate footage from the SEL into what a player can do in AHL/NHL.
What exactly are you guys seeing that gets you so excited? Not criticizing, just asking. Is it his speed? puck possession? physicality? skating ability?
I don't see much difference between this guy and somebody like Jim O'Brien.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Word. I've seen a few of his games this year (random streams, saved files sent to me) and all of his youtube videos . With that in mind I guess where we differ is that I think he's already better than Butler/Greening/Condra/Foligno. His two way game alone should earn him a spot on the 3rd line I think he's a more proficient finisher than Butler, but bigger and with just as good if not better hockey sense. On top of that he can actually dig for garbage goals.

We'll see where he goes I guess. Sens management say they want him on the team next year, but ultimately I guess it's up to him.
I hope you're right. I do like him. But scoring in the AHL, let alone NHL, is different, so I expect a learning curve. Maybe it's a month. Maybe it's a year or two. Much was expected of a guy like Wick, but he too has suffered from NA style. Butler has already shown he's ready for pro hockey and he has adapted seemlessly for the most part, but he is of course 3-4 years older than Silfverberg. I see Silfverberg as having slightly higher upside, in particular because of his size. Greening and Condra are decent career 3rd liners to me (which is more than I thought they would be before this year). Foligno simply doesn't have the sniper's skills. He actually has better one one one moves than Butler or Silfverberg will ever have, in particular on the rush, but unfortunately, he doesn't have the true sniper skills that are needed to account for the other 15-20 goals he'd need to become a 35-40 goal guy (quick release, one time, instincts to fill space). Silfverberg is indeed our best winger prospect right now, although I don't think that's saying much on it's own (I don't think either HF or TSN had him as a top 50 guy). But we'll take what we can get at this point.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
I dunno. That ice surface is so big that it's hard to gauge how well he'd do on an NHL size rink against much bigger, faster, physical competition.
I'd give him nearly zero chance of making the Sens roster from camp, but after 1/2 season in Bingo, we'd have a much better idea of what he can bring.
I just find it really hard to translate footage from the SEL into what a player can do in AHL/NHL.
What exactly are you guys seeing that gets you so excited? Not criticizing, just asking. Is it his speed? puck possession? physicality? skating ability?
Uhmmm, skill and a smaller nose.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Lexicon Devil

It sounds like a couple of you guys are dismissing all European prospects. Yes, most of them can't handle the transition, but how are you supposed to know unless you bring them over? Personally, I think a year split between Binghamton and Ottawa's 4th line is better for development than another year in the SEL. Take Roman Wick - it's hard to argue that the year in Binghamton was bad for his future in the NHL. He made the adjustment, and is almost certainly a better prospect than if he had spent another year in Europe.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:34 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Wick was -6 with 0 points 10 games into the season and has since put up 41pts in 58GP and gone +16.

Not too shabby.

But the best thing to draw from his NHL "game action" is a bigger paycheque.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
At last yr's development camp I thought Silfverberg was one of our best forwards. What's great about the development camp is that you can compare prospects with each other & how they apply themselves to drills. However, it isn't necessarily a good gauge as to how they will play the game or how they will do in the NHL. That being said though, Silfverberg skated as well as anyone there, I thought he out hustled a lot of guys, looked really comfortable handling the puck & was constantly in on almost every play & goal scored by which ever unit he was with.

IMO just based on that, I think he could play in the NHL right now as a 3rd liner & has the potential for 2nd line. I think he is a better prospect than Da Costa because he has the size, he has the skill & plays more of a NA game to begin with, he is some what physical, has a hard shot & seems to be defensively responsible & a good two way player. I think he will continue to get better as he matures & his body grows stronger. I hope he does come over next season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerFutureSniper View Post
With all this talk about Butler, Da Costa, Condra and Greening people here are slowly forgetting about Jacob Silfverberg as one of our top prospects. From what I see he has the most skill out of all these players and could easily push for a roster spot soon and maybe bump one of these kids down the chart. I'm pretty sure people have said he won't come over next year which is a shame because the kid has an NHL shot, has great hands and speed. He has a big enough body to ajust to the NA game and I hope hes here by 2012-2013. When he does make the line up where would you pencil him giving our current roster?

Heres 2 vids to refresh some peoples memories, ones a highlight package the other one is our scouts after the 09 draft talking about his upside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQM1B...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkg7...eature=related
He's never been forgotten. He's been our top forward prospect since the day we drafted him. I've said that from the day we drafted him.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 359
Did Dorion not say that Silfverberg would be in North America next season?

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Did Dorion not say that Silfverberg would be in North America next season?
He said he'd be NHL ready certainly by the end of next year, keep in mind, they have an offensive role in mind for this guy...so they want to give him the time necessary to make sure he can be that.

When he said he'd be a Senator by the end of next year, maybe he just meant that in regards to signing him, or bringing him over to play in the NHL at the end of next season. No idea.

They may make a big push to sign him and convince him to come over...Players say stuff all the time but when the cheque is put infront of them they may decide differently, who knows.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote